PDA

View Full Version : How about that Valve and/or Steam, eh?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Kyouhen
2009-08-22, 03:02 PM
It is a city building/trading/thing game. It is a very fun series.

Agreed. I have... I think it was 1608AD? It's buried around here somewhere. Basically take Sim City then add in the ability for pirates to loot your city if you don't surround it with cannons. That's pretty close to what it is. Tons of fun. :smalltongue:

Jahkaivah
2009-08-22, 03:08 PM
I hate Ravenholm. Hate hate hate Ravenholm. It isn't even that it's scary, though walking around a corner and getting slammed by a flying barrel can be a little shocking. It's that the zombies don't give me ammo and I have a habit of using more bullets than I probably should. Then I end up blasting them with the Gravity Gun only to watch my projectile of choice go spinning off over a building. I actually feel relieved every time I see that light at the end of the tunnel. Hate.

Bullets? Ravenholm?

Maybe if your replaying it, but otherwise it'll be the first time you got your hands on the gravity gun? Why are you using bullets? :smalltongue:

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-22, 03:10 PM
Gravity gun + radiator is all you need. But yeah I hated Ravenholm too.

Kyouhen
2009-08-22, 03:11 PM
Bullets? Ravenholm?

Maybe if your replaying it, but otherwise it'll be the first time you got your hands on the gravity gun? Why are you using bullets? :smalltongue:

See the note about things I'm throwing at Zombies bouncing and spiralling off over buildings. :smalltongue: Most common cause is a twitch reaction to the sound of poison headcrabs.

Player_Zero
2009-08-22, 03:57 PM
You got more than enough shotgun ammo in Ravenholm, and you should've been maxed out on everything else when you got there.

What got me was that electrified fence. I spent a full ten minutes just shooting at it frustratedly because I couldn't find the way up to the room in the building where you turn off the electricity.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-22, 04:13 PM
Poison headcrabs stopped being scary when I relised they couldn't actually kill me.
They were still a priority target as much as any heavy-damaging foe, but they weren't scary, anymore.
What was scary was the bloody HEV suit rather calmly in a detacthed manner informing me it located neruotoxin in my system.

Player_Zero
2009-08-22, 04:51 PM
Which ones are poison headcrabs? The brown ones?

Because the dark ones can one-shot you as I recall.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-22, 04:54 PM
The ones that lunge across the screen and bite you, cause the HEV suit to scold you about neruotoxin, and have you running around at one hit point hoping to the Goddess that there isn't something that can deliver the coup-de-gras around.

Oh, if I remember correctly, they were also skinnier.

Player_Zero
2009-08-22, 04:59 PM
Fairly sure they can kill you then. I recall it happening to me. Not just reduced to one hitpoint but dead on the spot.

When they're hurled by those dealies with them on their back at any rate.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-22, 05:23 PM
There was a point where I was running around trying to figure out where to go next and I simply ignored the four of them constantly throwing themselves at me. Until the Goddess-blasted HEV suit annoyed me enough.

I still never beat HL2. I did restart, though. I think I'm somewhere around the Water Hazard level.

Kyouhen
2009-08-22, 05:31 PM
There was a point where I was running around trying to figure out where to go next and I simply ignored the four of them constantly throwing themselves at me. Until the Goddess-blasted HEV suit annoyed me enough.

I still never beat HL2. I did restart, though. I think I'm somewhere around the Water Hazard level.

I think they can only kill you when the poison zombies throw them. Otherwise they're just a nuisance if you're certain there's no normal headcrabs lurking in the corners.

And yes, you can 1-shot them. If you can aim. Which I cannot.

Also they're the bigger headcrabs. The thinner ones are the fast headcrabs.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-22, 06:05 PM
I think they can only kill you when the poison zombies throw them. Otherwise they're just a nuisance if you're certain there's no normal headcrabs lurking in the corners.

And yes, you can 1-shot them. If you can aim. Which I cannot.

Also they're the bigger headcrabs. The thinner ones are the fast headcrabs.

I was trying really, really hard to get through Ravenholme using only the gravity gun. Therefore, no bullets.

Irony: I panicked and pulled a shotgun in a last-ditch survival effort.

chiasaur11
2009-08-22, 06:12 PM
I was trying really, really hard to get through Ravenholme using only the gravity gun. Therefore, no bullets.

Irony: I panicked and pulled a shotgun in a last-ditch survival effort.

Actually, you don't need ammo for the gravity gun to kill crabs.

Three zaps, and it's cooked.

And you don't know how baad they can be until you've beaten Minerva. Heh. Good times.

Player_Zero
2009-08-22, 06:20 PM
How would you beat the screaming pipe-climbers with just the gravgun? When you're on the roof you would run out of things to throw.

The Linker
2009-08-22, 06:23 PM
Yeah, that IS difficult. However, there's an achievement on the XBox version to get through Ravenholm using only the grav gun, so I bravely rose to the challenge.

I bravely ran around in circles for a few minutes, then accidentally fell off and bravely landed on a pipe-ledge that the zombies couldn't get to. I bravely waited there until the cart arrived and went back up there. Bravely.

Kyouhen
2009-08-22, 06:40 PM
Yeah, that IS difficult. However, there's an achievement on the XBox version to get through Ravenholm using only the grav gun, so I bravely rose to the challenge.

I bravely ran around in circles for a few minutes, then accidentally fell off and bravely landed on a pipe-ledge that the zombies couldn't get to. I bravely waited there until the cart arrived and went back up there. Bravely.

Brave The_Linker ran away
Bravely ran away, away
When danger reared its ugly head
He bravely turned his tail and fled
Yes, brave The_Linker turned about
And gallantly he chickened out
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat
Bravest of the brave, The_Linker

First thing that came to mind. :smalltongue:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-22, 07:09 PM
How would you beat the screaming pipe-climbers with just the gravgun? When you're on the roof you would run out of things to throw.

That was about the point where the shotgun came into play, yup.

Nano
2009-08-22, 07:13 PM
Are the Twenty Sided servers updated yet? I'm too lazy to log in and be told about water particles AGAIN.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-22, 07:15 PM
M'at work or I'd check.

"Need some water particles here!"

KBF
2009-08-22, 07:35 PM
Nope. Can someone on d20 tell Shamus to update them? Apparently he has a button he has to press.

Rutskarn
2009-08-22, 07:40 PM
I'll let him know.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-22, 09:29 PM
I'll let him know.

This is the point where I invoke my pagan deities in thanks.

KBF
2009-08-22, 09:45 PM
This is the point where I invoke my pagan deities in thanks.

You're going to invoke Rutskarn?

Nano
2009-08-22, 09:50 PM
"Soo... Rutskarn. You ever been invoked before, baby?"

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-22, 09:51 PM
You're going to invoke Rutskarn?

Well, I would, but then I'd forget to un-invoke him, and then I'll invoke Player_Zero at a later date and bad things happen.

chiasaur11
2009-08-22, 10:22 PM
Well, I would, but then I'd forget to un-invoke him, and then I'll invoke Player_Zero at a later date and bad things happen.

Like when you invite Hastur and Cthulhu to the same social mixer?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-22, 11:56 PM
Like when you invite Hastur and Cthulhu to the same social mixer?

Please! Like I'd ever make that mistake.
I solve that dilemna by inviting neither. Only deities I invite are the ones I actually, y'know, worship.
Rutskarn and P_Z have yet to show up. :smalltongue:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-23, 07:44 AM
It's official. Thanatos still sucks.

Jibar
2009-08-23, 08:41 AM
Does anyone else dislike Fastlane?
It's just... dull. There's nothing that defines it, it looks like so many other maps out there, all the main combat areas are so big that there's nothing to really do other than dodge and weave a bit and it's so empty.

Volug
2009-08-23, 08:52 AM
I'd love to play L4D with this guy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To-mjeyTnkM)

Player_Zero
2009-08-23, 09:39 AM
It's official. Thanatos still sucks.

I would like to point out that he says directly after I joined the game.

Also, filthy teamstacking Australians... And one had the gall to tell me what class I should play while they were a sniper in a 3v3. Also, they weren't particularly good.

I'd love to play L4D with this guy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To-mjeyTnkM)

Sounds like he's fooling around with a voice changer.

Rutskarn
2009-08-23, 09:51 AM
Sounds like he's fooling around with a voice changer.

Oh, my, I'm not watching that, then.

I hope he at least had the decency to call it afterwards.

Volug
2009-08-23, 10:26 AM
You're jealous because you're not a PRO SMOKAH!

Player_Zero
2009-08-23, 11:19 AM
Is Left For Dead good then? As good as TF2?

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-23, 11:29 AM
Nowhere near as good as TF2, it gets boring quickly and the community on it is frickin awful. But I guess playing games with GitP would solve that

Fawkes
2009-08-23, 12:08 PM
I love, love, LOVE playing L4D with my friends on Xbox system link. It's a great game, but you need to be able to trust your teammates to enjoy it fully.

Volug
2009-08-23, 12:57 PM
I love, love, LOVE playing L4D with my friends on Xbox system link. It's a great game, but you need to be able to trust your teammates to enjoy it fully.

I'm in this sort of boat. I play it allllll the time with my cousin (Murdock on steam) and it's been going on for about 6 months now and we are not tired of it. It's just us 2 as well!

Honestly I highly suggest trying it out if possible first before considering. My friend who I mooch off of to play it played it for awhile then got bored, he's not good with becoming teamates with others (shy) and he rather not use his mic at all.

Though since my cousin and I just love goofing around we love the game to pieces.

Hermit
2009-08-23, 05:48 PM

Not as good as TF2, but still a great game. You need a group of mates to play it with though, especially in Versus. It's not a great game for joining random games/servers with folks you don't know.

Also, without some sort of microphone or voice comms, noone will save you from the Hunters. Especially not the AI; AI Louis will sit there and watch you get eaten. Then he'll probably steal your pills from your cold, dead corpse.

Don't forget that there will probably be a L4D2 pre-release demo come November like there was with L4D1, so you could always give that a shot if you don't get to try out L4D1 before then.

TheLogman
2009-08-23, 08:31 PM
It's excellent, but there's more emphasis on skill than in TF2.

It is not, however, very newbie friendly.

Once you get good, it's great great fun.

I would not buy L4D, however, with L4D2 coming out so soon.

Just wait for L4D2, see a demo if you can, see how you like it. Then remember that it's 20 times more fun once you get GOOD.

I will never forget the joy of a teammate congratulating me after a great smoker kill that incapped a survivor, or a 4-survivor hit boomer vomit that shut down the whole team.

Teamwork means more than in TF2, and it also is more rewarding.

Morrandir
2009-08-23, 10:18 PM

It's pretty community-dependent, especially Versus. There are people who, when playing as the Survivors, get themselves killed as soon as possible so they get to play as the Infected. Similarly, I've had a couple incidents of people being idiots, like being accused of aim hacking because I killed a Hunter that pounced a survivor with the Uzi at twenty yards.

So, I usually stick to the (in my opinion) much, much better cooperative modes. As you might expect, it's a lot more fun with friends.

Just watch out for Louis. He's gotten us killed innumerable times in his endless search for the next pill fix.

He can smell the painkillers.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-24, 01:26 AM
Apparently, a stray pellet from my scattergun killed an enemy medic with a full Ubercharge, earning me the "Batting the Doctor" achievment, unlocking the first scout milestone.
I now have the Force-a-Nature. Woo.

I'm still pretty bad, though.

Player_Zero
2009-08-24, 02:40 AM
Use the FaN and I will hunt you down and dominate you in every game you join.

Same with the sandman.

I hate the scout unlocks.

KBF
2009-08-24, 02:43 AM
Yeah well, the scout unlocks hate you.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-24, 02:51 AM
I'm actually pretty much a fan (No pun intended) of its ability to plug two shells into the target really quickly. Thats got to account for something like my last ten kills.
The way I read it, its pretty well balanced with the scattergun, though.
Begin the dominating, PZ.

Player_Zero
2009-08-24, 03:18 AM
I would, but you're playing '24/7 TOYFORT' with a 31 player max.

Have some self-respect. Seriously.

KBF
2009-08-24, 03:27 AM
..Come on, Zero. Jeez, society today. It's fun, even if not for you, it's pretty freaking likely he is enjoying himself. He's not urinating in public, he's playing a less competetive community map. Gawd.

Does the Steam browser act just crazy slow for anyone else/ i hate using this thing.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-24, 03:44 AM
Actually, right now I'm idiling in the corner in the spawn room becasue the girlfriend hopped onto Gtalk.

Besides, I figure its somewhere I can practice and actually learn how to - y'know, do stuff. Plus stuff happens there.
At the moment, BLU (my team) is losing something awful under the relentless assault of heavies, demomen and medics.

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-24, 03:50 AM
<3 FaN + Sandman

also try not to think about the fact that when you're in bed trying to get some sleep, i'm a pyro on 24/7 32 man instant respawn 2fort w+m1ing with the backburner

edit: i'm in there right now but there's a sniper killing me when i go on the balcony what do i do

edit edit: okay i'm going spy now

edit edit edit: guys how do i cloak

edit edit edit edit: turns out it's not f10. reloading game

edit 5: back in the game, gonna go sniper. what loadout is best

Dispozition
2009-08-24, 04:01 AM
<3 FaN + Sandman

also try not to think about the fact that when you're in bed trying to get some sleep, i'm a pyro on 24/7 32 man instant respawn 2fort w+m1ing with the backburner

edit: i'm in there right now but there's a sniper killing me when i go on the balcony what do i do

edit edit: okay i'm going spy now

edit edit edit: guys how do i cloak

edit edit edit edit: turns out it's not f10. reloading game

You'd best be trolling son. Well, you have to. F10 asks now :P

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-24, 04:04 AM

i pressed enter rapidly when it came up trying to close it. fyi it turns out enter doesnt close things

edit: okay gonna use huntsman. razorback seems pretty awesome it protects you from spies. jar of piss is stupid and smg does like 1 damage a second. no brainer

edit 2: what the hell my arrows just land in the water

Player_Zero
2009-08-24, 04:06 AM

It's not really trolling, but it's not particularly amusing to anyone but him. Saying stupid thigns for the sake of saying stupid things, see.

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-24, 04:12 AM
It's not really trolling, but it's not particularly amusing to anyone but him. Saying stupid thigns for the sake of saying stupid things, see.

Yeah bro i'm just stupid why don't you just go sip your tea and talk about mozart and leave us plebs to enjoy our game. I know i'm new to TF2 but no need for the hating

Dispozition
2009-08-24, 04:12 AM

Close enough to trolling. But yes, it's really not very funny.

Yeah bro i'm just stupid why don't you just go sip your tea and talk about mozart and leave us plebs to enjoy our game. I know i'm new to TF2 but no need for the hating

Cool story bro'

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-24, 04:18 AM
Gawsh you guys are no fun.

Seriously though, I'll stop now. :smalltongue: These just kinda bugged me:

Use the FaN and I will hunt you down and dominate you in every game you join.

Same with the sandman.

I hate the scout unlocks.

I would, but you're playing '24/7 TOYFORT' with a 31 player max.

Have some self-respect. Seriously.

Dispozition
2009-08-24, 04:20 AM
Gawsh you guys are no fun.

Seriously though, I'll stop now. :smalltongue: These just kinda bugged me:

They are true to some extent though.

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-24, 04:24 AM
They are true to some extent though.

Eh. I don't play on those kinds of servers myself (I've not seen this Toyfort map, but I'm guessing it's like a cross between 2fort and that mario kart map or something?) but it just reeks of "guys stop having fun guys" to me.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-24, 04:40 AM
Self respect is forTexans, anyway. If you have seen full Metal Jacket, you'll get the full joke. (Even though I have no problem with any of the groups)

KBF
2009-08-24, 04:46 AM
Eh. I don't play on those kinds of servers myself (I've not seen this Toyfort map, but I'm guessing it's like a cross between 2fort and that mario kart map or something?) but it just reeks of "guys stop having fun guys" to me.

Guys, you aren't actually good just because you can turtle the intel. Guys? Stop having fun guys!

EDIT:

Nah, it's actually pretty unique. It'd be kinda hard to describe, but it's a fun map. You should try it sometime.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-24, 05:11 AM

Haven't seen the Mariokart map.

Toyfort is a CP map that is exactly symetrical, the only differance between the sides being the dominant colour.
There are five points, the centre, each bedroom, and one right next to each spawn. Everything is blown up to be really, really big and the fortifications on the map are made out of mostly pencils, building blocks and tiny little notebooks. most thinks are sized so one could concievably believe that the players are the size of action figures. Theres the mouseholes, and the tunnel as alternate routes, and a fairly simple linear route.

Player_Zero
2009-08-24, 05:27 AM
Hey guys, stop having fun.

potatocubed
2009-08-24, 05:33 AM
...that actually sounds pretty cool. I thought it would just be something like "2fort, but smaller lololol!" but apparently not.

I actually think that 32-man 2fort is a pretty good newbie map. You can mess about and learn what the various classes do and what they're good at without any real danger that the intel will be capped. Then when you get bored you can upgrade to Turbine.

And I use the FaN and sandman. Boink!

Player_Zero
2009-08-24, 05:42 AM
Sandman isn't so bad I suppose. Since the ones who use it generally can't hit with it and it only takes one rocket to kill them.

Stunning is still a stupid idea for an fps though. Even a casual one.

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-24, 05:43 AM
Guys, you aren't actually good just because you can turtle the intel. Guys? Stop having fun guys!

1: Go into server
2: Build sentry nest in intel
3: Spend rest of game watching television (Optional step: create bind to make you constantly hoe down)
4: Mission success

Nah, it's actually pretty unique. It'd be kinda hard to describe, but it's a fun map. You should try it sometime.

Toyfort is a CP map that is exactly symetrical, the only differance between the sides being the dominant colour.
There are five points, the centre, each bedroom, and one right next to each spawn. Everything is blown up to be really, really big and the fortifications on the map are made out of mostly pencils, building blocks and tiny little notebooks. most thinks are sized so one could concievably believe that the players are the size of action figures. Theres the mouseholes, and the tunnel as alternate routes, and a fairly simple linear route.

Hmm, generally not a fan of 5CP "push" maps, but maybe I'll check it out. Reminds me of Toy Commander which was an awesome game. :smallcool:

EDIT:

Then when you get bored you can upgrade to Turbine.

See, I always find turtling is a BIGGER problem on Turbine. In 2fort, at least it's so cramped that one Uber can take it out. In Turbine I frequently see four or five engineers spreading their buildings out around the intel, making it absolutely impossible to assault unless your entire team is coordinated. And we know how often THAT happens. :smalltongue:

Dispozition
2009-08-24, 05:50 AM
Haven't seen the Mariokart map.

Ah, that is the map I was thinking then. The two sides are houses with a street in the center? If so, absolutely awesome map, great fun to play on with lower grav as well.

EDIT: On FaN and Sandman, I use them, but I prefer the scattergun and bat. I'm only using the FaN and Sandman because I don't play scout seriously very often. When I do, I use the original load out.

Jibar
2009-08-24, 06:15 AM
Ah, that is the map I was thinking then. The two sides are houses with a street in the center? If so, absolutely awesome map, great fun to play on with lower grav as well.

No, you're thinking of a different map.
An awesome map apparently.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-24, 07:39 AM
Any Idea how I turn off the stupid "Everyone is weaing Party Hats and explodes into cute, harmless items instead of gibs" thing I seem to have on?

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-24, 08:24 AM
It is August 24th. It is QTF's birthday. All servers will have birthday mode for today. Nothing you can do about it except enjoy the mayhem.

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-24, 10:57 AM
Any Idea how I turn off the stupid "Everyone is weaing Party Hats and explodes into cute, harmless items instead of gibs" thing I seem to have on?

Why would you do that? It's pure awesome.

Player_Zero
2009-08-24, 11:15 AM
It's the settings of the server. It's the birthday mod.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-24, 12:33 PM
I've been away for a few days, have they changed the frequency of giving out weapons? People seemed to be getting a lot less today. Or is that to do with the birthday mod?

Fawkes
2009-08-24, 01:19 PM
I upgraded to a new hard drive last week, and had to reinstall TF2. I lost the maps I had downloaded. I was able to save ctf_feud, though. Where's a good place to redownload my favorite maps?

Also, for some reason, I've lost a few of my achievements' progress. Hot Potato, Doctor Assisted Homicide, and I think Family Practice were reset.

potatocubed
2009-08-24, 01:43 PM
Try tf2maps.net. There are loads there, although maybe not all of your favourites. Others may be hosted on fpsbanana.com.

NeoVid
2009-08-24, 03:40 PM
Wish I had enough online time to keep up with this thread.

After seeing my lucky sawblade go flying off the roof after I killed the first zombie, I started carefully positioning myself so that when the zombies climbed up, they would launch themselves right off the rooftop when they lunged at me. Then when they showed up in groups, I had to just run in circles, jumping the little gap in the roof to slow them down a bit. They have to stop moving to actually attack, and as long I kept going, I could always get out of their attack reach before getting hit. I took a total of 10 damage before getting out of there. And I got Zombie Chopper on my first playthrough.

I still freaking hate headcrab zombies, though.

Oh, and the developer's commentary says that poison headcrabs can't kill you. They're supposed to indirectly get you killed by making you waste ammo on them in paranoia.

On the unlocks, I go 50/50 between the FAN and scattergun, depending on which classes I'm fighting against most often. I haven't really used the Sandman since the update, since I'm a total incompetent with it, its most valuable use is gone, and the penalty actually affects me now.

And if you're new to playing Sniper, use the Huntsman and Jarate. It's far easier, more fun, and you'll actually be able to help your team.

Player_Zero
2009-08-24, 03:45 PM
And if you're new to playing Sniper, use the Huntsman and Jarate. It's far easier, more fun, and you'll actually be able to help your team.

But you'll never learn to use the sniper rifle so you'll never be particularly note-worthy.

Also, my problem with the FaN is more with the kind of people who are drawn to using it. Because I hate stupid people. That is not to say it couldn't be used effectively by someone decent at the game, but rather that people of the "M1+W" mentality will all be using it exclusively.

Jibar
2009-08-24, 04:23 PM
So, weird story this Scout debate reminded me of.
I was playing Scout the other day on turbine and because of my speed and double jumping with the Sandman I was trying to bonk any Heavies that made a move towards our base so I'm weaving around, no real direction but I always ended up behind Spys either changing disguise or coming out of cloak into a disguise. So I'd run up behind them and smack 'em down.
This happened at least a dozen times before I thought I should change class.
I was single handedly killing every enemy spy.
As a Scout.
I'm sure this shouldn't be.

Rutskarn
2009-08-24, 04:52 PM
Hey, that rawktastic Latvian frag vid got linked to by the TF2 blog. Sweeny tight.

Volug
2009-08-24, 06:32 PM
I was single handedly killing every enemy spy.
As a Scout.
I'm sure this shouldn't be.

This is pretty normal actually.

Fawkes
2009-08-24, 08:27 PM
I'm goona go play in GMod. Eventually, I will figure out how it works.

chiasaur11
2009-08-24, 08:58 PM
I'm goona go play in GMod. Eventually, I will figure out how it works.

Good luck.

Player of the week is still out there for the best giant robot manufacturors, you know.

Fawkes
2009-08-24, 09:11 PM
Good luck.

Player of the week is still out there for the best giant robot manufacturors, you know.

I can't figure out how to use any of the tools.

Except the balloon tools.

I tried downloading some models and npcs from garrysmod.org, but only a few of them worked.

I did manage to teach Mario to fly, though.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-24, 09:34 PM
Why would you do that? It's pure awesome.

Occasionally it's pretty cool. All the time it's annoying.
In other news, I has in a Korean Arena match a few days ago, and one of the scouts on my team was wearing a sleeveless hoodie. Apparantly, I automatically downloaded it or something.
Now, if only I could put it on my sprite just to make people do double-takes.

Also - I like hoodies.

Volug
2009-08-24, 10:10 PM
I bought killing floor due to how my cousin and I will have a BONE of a time playing that.... And I get amazing FPS on it for some reason when I get like 10-20 with TF2 (Though it does get 60-70 on Akai surf map for some reason...).

Anyone else have it? I'd like to play a game with people I know when I can actually play it for more then an hour this weekend (2 AP classes, as a junior.... Including medical anatomy... Lots of homework).

KBF
2009-08-24, 10:24 PM
Sure, I'll play with you. You probably get better FPS on it because there's less polish on all the graphics.

I don't think you're on my friends list. I'm Kirbysfan, feel free to add me.

chiasaur11
2009-08-24, 11:30 PM
I can't figure out how to use any of the tools.

Except the balloon tools.

I tried downloading some models and npcs from garrysmod.org, but only a few of them worked.

I did manage to teach Mario to fly, though.

Start with easy wield, then learn wheels, thrusters, and joints, maybe some motors and winches.

Should be a good start.

Also, there are some tutorials. Worth reading.

Rutskarn
2009-08-25, 02:16 AM
I just had the thought that a good title for the next TF2 thread would be Crits or GTFO. That's probably a sign that it's an hour later than I should have gone to bed.

KBF
2009-08-25, 02:25 AM
I just had the thought that a good title for the next TF2 thread would be Crits or GTFO. That's probably a sign that it's an hour later than I should have gone to bed.

Look, even if he is an elitist sometimes.

We can't just tell Zero to GTFO. He's a cool guy. :smalltongue:

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-25, 02:27 AM
Rutskarn. He Tries.

The top of the thread should show an undead Rutskarn-spy being set on fire or something.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-25, 07:32 AM
I have now brought it upon myself to look for skins which make all the TF2 characters and skins look very cyberpunk or shadowrun or something.
Because I loves me some cyberpunk aesthetic like that.

Dogmantra
2009-08-25, 07:38 AM

Alright Rutsky, I take it back. You don't smell...

That much.

Pie Guy
2009-08-25, 08:18 AM
Well, yesterday, I was playing medic had I had 18 acheivements, 4 short of the 22 for ubersaw. I was really worried that I would have to go to an acheivement server which really messed up my scores last time and I'd have to reset them. All of a sudden I was alerted that I had just unlocked the ubersaw. I'm gonna go get a tinfoil hat before Valve gets me a birthday present.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-25, 08:53 AM
At least then you would have a hat. I have 200 hours of TF2 time logged in the last two weeks (thanks to the fake idle server) and still no hat.

Player_Zero
2009-08-25, 08:57 AM
At least then you would have a hat. I have 200 hours of TF2 time logged in the last two weeks (thanks to the fake idle server) and still no hat.

0.5% chance every item you get is a hat. Or one in every 200 items.
25% chance of an item every 25 minutes, I believe.

Means you get an item every 100 minutes on average. Or one every 1.66... hours.

200*1.66... = 333.33... hours required on average for one hat.

Enough time to complete six other games or read any number of novels.

KBF
2009-08-25, 11:51 AM
It's also entirely likely that Valve put in safeguards so idling doesn't as well. Like, you get a diminishing return for each consecutive hour in the game or somesuch. Just considering how many people loudly whine about how they've been playing for 18 hours straight with no unlocks whenever somebody has a hat.

Or say they have 200 hours of time logged.

Joran
2009-08-25, 12:16 PM
Skill check question. Can you reach the BLU entry halls in Gravelpit as a scout just by double jumping? I always find I need that extra oomph of a FaN blast to get up there, but I'm fairly sure I fail at every kind of jumping in the game.

Played a fair bit of scout last night and I find I really like the FaN a lot. It does make evading attacks a lot harder, since I can't jump and fire the FaN at the same time. On the plus side, when I hit someone with the first blast, it's almost a guaranteed hit on the second blast since they're popped up in the air. It makes killing medics and other scouts fairly easy. I do find a lot of times I need 2-3 extra pistol shots to finish off most targets, since I suck.

P.S. Anyone feel guilty in killing medics? Medic is my most played class, since no one else does it. After getting murdered by scouts and pyros, I find myself feeling a little bit guilty in doing the same. Am I turning off people from playing medic? :(

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-25, 12:23 PM
0.5% chance every item you get is a hat. Or one in every 200 items.
25% chance of an item every 25 minutes, I believe.

Means you get an item every 100 minutes on average. Or one every 1.66... hours.

200*1.66... = 333.33... hours required on average for one hat.

Enough time to complete six other games or read any number of novels.

Probably why he's using an idler then

Kyouhen
2009-08-25, 12:28 PM
P.S. Anyone feel guilty in killing medics? Medic is my most played class, since no one else does it. After getting murdered by scouts and pyros, I find myself feeling a little bit guilty in doing the same. Am I turning off people from playing medic? :(

Yes, yes you are. You should stop killing any Medics ever.

Dogmantra
2009-08-25, 12:32 PM

Nope. They're not being Battle Medics. They deserve to die. Except if it's me actually healing people.

The Linker
2009-08-25, 12:52 PM
Skill check question. Can you reach the BLU entry halls in Gravelpit as a scout just by double jumping? I always find I need that extra oomph of a FaN blast to get up there, but I'm fairly sure I fail at every kind of jumping in the game.

The trick is to crouch as you get up there. When in the air, crouching makes you not lower your head, but raise your legs -- it's much easier to get on ledges that way. For any class!

I believe both the halls connecting Blu spawn and A are low enough that you can double jump from anywhere and get in. At B, though... I think the one on the left (starting from B itself), you need to back up a bit to start on a raised bit of the ground, rather than start from right underneath the entrance. The one on the right is harder. I think you need to back up all the way to the little shed and get some altitude on the ramp that slopes into it.

Player_Zero
2009-08-25, 01:17 PM
It's also entirely likely that Valve put in safeguards so idling doesn't as well. Like, you get a diminishing return for each consecutive hour in the game or somesuch. Just considering how many people loudly whine about how they've been playing for 18 hours straight with no unlocks whenever somebody has a hat.

Or say they have 200 hours of time logged.

No. They have no such thing.

KBF
2009-08-25, 02:01 PM
No. They have no such thing.

..Then you've seen the game's coding? Or done an in-depth statistical analysis? I'm just saying it would be in their stated goal to 'stop players from doing weird stuff' and it wouldn't be all that hard to do. And it's in line with all the whining we're seeing.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-25, 02:04 PM
Valve said so

KBF
2009-08-25, 02:08 PM
Valve said so

valve are moneygrubbing corporate suits who rip you off at every opportunity

But no, seriously, I didn't know that. Where do they mention it?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-25, 02:10 PM
I'll test it out later.

Played a fair bit of scout last night and I find I really like the FaN a lot. It does make evading attacks a lot harder, since I can't jump and fire the FaN at the same time. On the plus side, when I hit someone with the first blast, it's almost a guaranteed hit on the second blast since they're popped up in the air. It makes killing medics and other scouts fairly easy. I do find a lot of times I need 2-3 extra pistol shots to finish off most targets, since I suck. I find I use the FaN as a Mobility Enhacing Device almost as often as I use it as a weapon. Getting better at actaul kills with it. I should probably learn to switch to the pistol right after emptying both barrels.

Nope! Medics are labeled in my mind as Priority targets! Especially since I often find them attatched to a Heavy or Soldier, and it's hard for me to make a dent in someone's health as long as they got that DNA beam help them out. Either I kill the Medic, which is great, force him to go into battle Medic mode and defend himself, which is a boon for the team, as they can now take down the Heavy, which is good, or I die while accomplishing none of those, which is distressingly common.

Rutskarn
2009-08-25, 02:48 PM
Any medic who quits because he dies a few times probably isn't being credit to team anyway.

Now, quitting because being medic isn't helping, because you can't heal more than a few points before the defense shuts you the hell down, that's different.

Player_Zero
2009-08-25, 03:07 PM
I quit being medic when I don't have anyone good enough to uber or kritz. Not because I'm not helping, but because it annoys me to hell.

Sitting there spamming Z3 and Z4 and them not moving at all, with their long range weapon missing potshots at sentries being healed by engies... Very rageful.

Dogmantra
2009-08-25, 03:10 PM
I quit being medic when I don't have anyone good enough to uber or kritz. Not because I'm not helping, but because it annoys me to hell.

If I had a pound for every time I'd stopped medic-ing because our team was composed entirely of scouts, snipers, spies, engineers and the occasional pyro, then got shouted at because I was the only medic, I'd have... £2...

Kyouhen
2009-08-25, 03:14 PM

Sitting there spamming Z3 and Z4 and them not moving at all, with their long range weapon missing potshots at sentries being healed by engies... Very rageful.

You could always just go battle medic and outright refuse to heal anyone. :smalltongue:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-25, 03:15 PM
Hey, I try to be a good Medic target when I play Scout.
That is, whenever I happen to notice I'm actually being healed, instead of running straight past the healing Medic towards a health pickup.
I'm usually on fire at the time, so that's my excuse.

On a related note, my habit of emptying both barrals into teammates as a Spy Check has got to be annoying. The number of times I've been checked by friendly pyros, however, makes me feel justified.

Technical note: I've noticed the nemesis symbols floating in mid-air sometimes. Does this mean my nemesis has gone Spy and is invisible, or is that just a bug?

NeoVid
2009-08-25, 03:23 PM
But you'll never learn to use the sniper rifle so you'll never be particularly note-worthy.

I never learned to use the sniper rifle well in the two years I played without the Huntsman. As I've learned from my 22 years of playing fighting games, I don't have the reaction time it takes to be good at that sort of thing.

Also, there was very little incentive for me to get good with the regular rifle, since it's not fun to use.

TheLogman
2009-08-25, 03:27 PM
Bug.

It's a bug.

Happens to me all the time.

Joran
2009-08-25, 03:33 PM

Yeah, I found that very few people master the art of using the uber well. I usually need to put on my headset and tell the person I'm about to uber to go.

On very rare occasions, I came across someone with good enough tactical awareness to call out for the uber when I had it and when he had a good plan to use it to it's full effect. Those guys make me very happy.

I usually have a high threshold for suckiness, but if there's aren't enough combat classes worth healing, if they can't protect me from a simple pyro charging in, or if they can't stop the scout from killing me, my blood starts to boil. Scouts in particular, I HATE GOOD SCOUTS.

TheLogman
2009-08-25, 03:42 PM
Last night on Hoodoo in some pub server I keep running in as pyro, with a 100% medic behind me, yelling "Go, Go, Go!".

And not less than 3 times was I subsequently killed by a sentry, and my medic killed as well, or ubering someone else at the last minute.

Ziren
2009-08-25, 03:57 PM
Today I was medic on Egypt. Offense went somewhat good (except that all my Übertargets seemed to think it was a better idea to go for the final cap instead of, I don't know, killing the people guarding it). Defense was terrible. There were only two somewhat good targets for the charge (a pyro and a soldier) and I had to waste three charges in a row to keep myself alive, übering a scout, an engi and another engi because the pyro and the soldier weren't anywhere nearby at that time.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-25, 04:22 PM
The other day, I caught the shimmer of a cloak in the corner and emptied both barrels into it.
Turns out, had I hovered my crosshairs over it for just a second longer, I would have noticed it was a friendly spy.

Oops.

Also: Does anyone know if the Kritzkrieg counts for Doctoring the Ball/You'll feel a little prick, or does at have to be the vanilla Ubercharge?

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-25, 04:26 PM
valve are moneygrubbing corporate suits who rip you off at every opportunity

But no, seriously, I didn't know that. Where do they mention it?

Umm, I cba to find the actual post, so if you don't believe me that's fine, but somewhere on the steam forums there was an email from Chet (or someone high up) saying something along the lines of "We're working on ideas to combat the idling", not "We have implemented some". Sorry if that's too vague, but I'm tiered and I usually remember the gist of stuff like that correctly :smalltongue:

TheLogman
2009-08-25, 04:28 PM
Thanatos, I am pretty sure that Kritz counts.

Fawkes
2009-08-25, 05:54 PM
I downloaded Minerva, R&D, Flipside, Eclipse, and Weekday Warrior. Yay mods!

chiasaur11
2009-08-25, 06:04 PM
I downloaded Minerva, R&D, Flipside, Eclipse, and Weekday Warrior. Yay mods!

Play Minerva.

You know you want to.

The Linker
2009-08-25, 06:06 PM
Also: Does anyone know if the Kritzkrieg counts for Doctoring the Ball/You'll feel a little prick, or does at have to be the vanilla Ubercharge?

They do count. Take the Medic achievement to uber a Soldier and have him blow five people up -- very hard to get to get with the regular uber. Everyone will scatter, the Soldier will run out of ammo...

But yeah. I Kritzed my way to that achievement. It was glorious. :smallbiggrin:

Fawkes
2009-08-25, 07:09 PM
Play Minerva.

You know you want to.

..yes. Yes I do. That's why I downloaded it.

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-25, 07:37 PM
So I asked this on the servers and imma ask again here. What do you guys think of Killing Floor? Any good? Worth buying?

KBF
2009-08-25, 07:58 PM
Killing Floor is practically a must buy. It gets mildly repetitive after a few hundred playthroughs of the same map, but I still find myself enjoying it. It's inevitably similar to L4D, but it feels much more.. Well, it definitely rewards teamwork, but it feels so much more independent. No ZED (zombie) is going to knock you down and only the help of a trusted ally can save you. And you aren't going through the level to escape the horde, you're going in to wipe them out.

Oh, but something you should be aware of. The designs on most of the zombies are just.. Creepy. Just don't let it catch you off guard.

Volug
2009-08-25, 08:02 PM
I'm enjoying it a lot. The people I just played with were very co-operative and helpful.

It does feel single-player ish, however it really rewards teamwork and if you go off on your own chances are you'll die in a few seconds. For instance, you have a healing needle which uses a percent on usage. You can only heal yourself when it is at 100 percent as it takes 100 to use it on yourself, however it only takes 20 to use it on an ally. Sometimes just going through your friends sticking them (>_>) will make a difference between a loss and a victory. Sometimes I'm the only guy I think understands this... Sometimes.

That's why I'm probably going field medic...

NeoVid
2009-08-25, 08:07 PM
Just felt like mentioning: For halloween this year, I'm going as the Spy, and my girlfriend's going as Scout's Mom.

I've been looking for a balaclava that looks remotely like what I need for months and I've got nothing.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-25, 08:17 PM
Just felt like mentioning: For halloween this year, I'm going as the Spy, and my girlfriend's going as Scout's Mom.

I've been looking for a balaclava that looks remotely like what I need for months and I've got nothing.

Awesome. I'm trying to go as the Scout, myself. That's the accent I can get best, because I suck at them all. I'm still having trouble figuring out what type of pants he wears though. :smallannoyed:

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-25, 08:21 PM
Awesome. I'm trying to go as the Scout, myself. That's the accent I can get best, because I suck at them all. I'm still having trouble figuring out what type of pants he wears though. :smallannoyed:

Loose fitting sweat pants looks to be it. It's comfortable for running, lose fitting for mobility, but not big enough to be in the way. Probably too long for him, as he seems to roll them up and wear long baseball socks. He is the youngest of 8, so they make sense as hand-me-downs.

Nano
2009-08-25, 08:22 PM
They looked like too-big khaki pants, to me - There's belt loops, I think, which I've never found on any kind of sweat pants.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-25, 08:27 PM
Loose fitting sweat pants looks to be it. It's comfortable for running, lose fitting for mobility, but not big enough to be in the way. Probably too long for him, as he seems to roll them up and wear long baseball socks. He is the youngest of 8, so they make sense as hand-me-downs.

They looked like too-big khaki pants, to me - There's belt loops, I think, which I've never found on any kind of sweat pants.

See, this is my exact problem. At first I thought sweatpants, but then I saw the belt and thought khakis, but then I thought that they might not be that comfortable to run in, but I honestly don't know, as I've only worn them once, and yeah, I think I'll end up getting whichever is cheaper. [/run-on-sentence]

chiasaur11
2009-08-25, 09:39 PM
Just so you all know, Time Gentlemen, Please is on Steam.

It comes with Ben There Dan That, and if I had my computer, I'd be buying it right now.

Ben there Dan that is one of the most fun adventure games I've played. Zombies, game reviewers, alternate universes, and Max's head as a puzzle solution.

Give it a go. If you don't mind hilarious vulgarities and (im)mature content done wittily (which is perfectly legitimate as a position).

Rutskarn
2009-08-25, 09:49 PM
The answer is baseball pants.

The Linker
2009-08-25, 10:09 PM
I'm sure whatever you take will be fine. When you're out and about, no one's going to remember exactly what the Scout looks like anyway. No one will say, "Hey, nice Scout outf-- wait, what the hell kind of pants are those? WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THOSE PANTS!? YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE THE SCOUT! THAT'S WRONG! THAT'S ALL WRONG!"

At the very least: When someone needs to look at a comparison picture to see what's wrong, it means your outfit is pretty darn good. :smalltongue:

Rutskarn
2009-08-25, 10:42 PM
At the very least: When someone needs to look at a comparison picture to see what's wrong, it means your outfit is pretty darn good. :smalltongue:

Lies. You are weak and dishonorable if any individual, at any point in time, can discern that you are not the person you have clothed yourself as.

If you dress yourself as Dominic Deegan, and an hour goes by where someone has not attempted to glue captions on your face, you are doing it wrongly.

Pie Guy
2009-08-25, 10:46 PM
At Rutskarn: "Hey, is that a balaclava?"

chiasaur11
2009-08-25, 10:56 PM
At Rutskarn: "Hey, is that a balaclava?"

How did you know he was going as A Bacalava, secret agent?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-26, 05:48 AM
Where do I get off getting better at this game? Seriously? I'm so self-centered.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-26, 06:12 AM
About Killing Floor, doesn't it get annoying with the slow-mo the game goes into when other people get headshots?

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-26, 08:40 AM
These past 2 weeks:
Team Fortress 2
2032.1 hrs
Left 4 Dead
216.2 hrs

Dayum GitP. Those are some impressive numbers.

Narazil
2009-08-26, 09:00 AM
Hey guys, could someone invite me to the Giantitp Steam group, seeing as it's invite only?
Steam ID's Wacek.

Player_Zero
2009-08-26, 09:02 AM
There are a million Waceks I can see. Which one are you?

Joran
2009-08-26, 09:25 AM
These past 2 weeks:
Team Fortress 2
2032.1 hrs
Left 4 Dead
216.2 hrs

I contributed 10 hours to TF2 and 2 hours to L4D... Wait, those seem low; I could have sworn I played more. The great thing about TF2 is there's so much action and not that much downtime that I end up thinking I played more than I did.

Oh and I had a great Demoman medic target today. Called for the uber, ran in, blew up two sentries and capped the point. Awesome.

Phase
2009-08-26, 09:52 AM
These past 2 weeks:
Team Fortress 2
2032.1 hrs
Left 4 Dead
216.2 hrs

I contributed 35 of those TF2 hours, and 3 of those L4D hours.

potatocubed
2009-08-26, 09:54 AM
These past 2 weeks:
Team Fortress 2
2032.1 hrs

That's 145.15 hours per day, which I find inordinately amusing.

Narazil
2009-08-26, 10:31 AM
There are a million Waceks I can see. Which one are you?
Got the white ORLY owl as a picture.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-26, 11:29 AM
I'm sure whatever you take will be fine. When you're out and about, no one's going to remember exactly what the Scout looks like anyway. No one will say, "Hey, nice Scout outf-- wait, what the hell kind of pants are those? WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THOSE PANTS!? YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE THE SCOUT! THAT'S WRONG! THAT'S ALL WRONG!"

I'm more worried about them point out that as the scout I should have the FAN/Scattergun/Pistol/ when I'm pretty sure I legally can't own a gun. At least I can solve the Pistol problem by making myself a Bonk! can.

Is it bad that I'm putting the most thought I've ever put into a Halloween costume when the costume I plan on wearing is a character from a game I've never played.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-26, 11:34 AM
So, umm, did anyone else find the secret in Tr_Walkway? I found it all by myself, I'm slightly proud to say.

Rutskarn
2009-08-26, 11:36 AM
Fun game: dress up in a white collared shirt and a red tie with black slacks.

See who says what.

"Hey! You're Louis, from L4D!"

"Hey! You're Shaun of the Dead!"

"Hey! You're...a soulless office drone. I always hate your costumes."

Kyouhen
2009-08-26, 11:38 AM
I'm more worried about them point out that as the scout I should have the FAN/Scattergun/Pistol/ when I'm pretty sure I legally can't own a gun. At least I can solve the Pistol problem by making myself a Bonk! can.

Is it bad that I'm putting the most thought I've ever put into a Halloween costume when the costume I plan on wearing is a character from a game I've never played.

Only if you aren't telling people where you need dispensers. :smalltongue:

Rutskarn
2009-08-26, 12:04 PM
All of the sudden, that gives me an idea for a costume party: each person dresses as a character, but changes one detail. They don't tell anybody what they changed. Then, at the end of the party, people have to guess the character and the mutation.

Example: dress in a collared shirt with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows with a black bowtie. Wear a top hat with a red or blue band. Roll your slacks up to your kneecaps and wear long white socks and dress shoes. Also, carry a cricket bat.

Then say things like:

"I say, good fellows, might it not be prudent to erect some sort of device for resource dispersal in this general location?"

"Good heavens, I do possess a minuscule bonce, now, don't I? It's really quite striking."

"Are any of you chaps maintaining a record of skulls I've bludgeoned? Surely, it'd be fair ponderous by this juncture."

The Linker
2009-08-26, 12:10 PM
So, umm, did anyone else find the secret in Tr_Walkway? I found it all by myself, I'm slightly proud to say.

There was someone earlier who found a secret. A gigantic Heavy, I think it was?

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-26, 12:49 PM
There was someone earlier who found a secret. A gigantic Heavy, I think it was?

Indeed. Now I'm annoyed because I can't believe that there's no way of getting him inside or something. Once you hide something that deviously, I go all paranoidy.

Phase
2009-08-26, 01:02 PM
For my costume, I want to go as Flynn from Tron, a Headcrab Zombie, or the Sniper.

I would need the vest, the hat, the gun I could make from PVC and wood, or something. Maybe just the Kukri...

Rutskarn
2009-08-26, 01:39 PM
Indeed. Now I'm annoyed because I can't believe that there's no way of getting him inside or something. Once you hide something that deviously, I go all paranoidy.

Kill him. He spawns as a regular-sized heavy along with the rest of your puppets.

potatocubed
2009-08-26, 01:42 PM
I would need the vest, the hat, the gun I could make from PVC and wood, or something. Maybe just the Kukri...

Jarate. You know you want to.

TheLogman
2009-08-26, 02:03 PM
If I ever do get the chance to cosplay, I also plan to go as the sniper.

With Jarate.

It's easy, simple, and starts working the same day!

Just...don't use actual Jarate...

...or throw it at people...

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-26, 02:04 PM
What with getting hit by glass jars hurting and the dangers of broken glass.

chiasaur11
2009-08-26, 02:07 PM
What with getting hit by glass jars hurting and the dangers of broken glass.

And the inevitable anguish of living in a world where your dignity is as fragile as a glass jar.

The Linker
2009-08-26, 02:25 PM
...You're going to make an explicit recreation of Jarate? Right down to the last... detail? Ok, no, dude. That's just... no.

See, you fill a plastic bottle with your pee. Less dangerous that way.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-26, 02:54 PM
Only if you aren't telling people where you need dispensers. :smalltongue:

Uh, no. (http://tf2wiki.net/w/images/6/6f/Scout_no01.wav) I'll be tellin them where I need teleporters. (http://tf2wiki.net/w/images/a/a5/Scout_needteleporter01.wav) :smalltongue: (http://tf2wiki.net/w/images/a/a6/Scout_specialcompleted03.wav)

NeoVid
2009-08-26, 03:01 PM
Hmm... I happened to look at TF2's stats (http://www.steampowered.com/status/tf2/tf2_stats.php) and I was surprised to find out that Heavy is the least played class, but judging by the other stats, those Heavy players are making a big impact.

Though it would be hard for the Heavy not to make a big impact.

Dogmantra
2009-08-26, 03:14 PM
So I finished HL2 today.

I was thinking "Oh, it's only a character from a game," regarding G-Man, "No-one could want to know who he is that much." I take it all back.

Phase
2009-08-26, 03:27 PM
So I finished HL2 today.

I was thinking "Oh, it's only a character from a game," regarding G-Man, "No-one could want to know who he is that much." I take it all back.

What about the episodes? Those make the wait even worse...

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-26, 04:12 PM
So I finished HL2 today.

That is why everyone loves the G-Man. Valve did a great job creating an enigma for us.

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-26, 04:50 PM
*A box is shown on screen. A night elf Hunter approaches the box, and sets down a gun he is carrying"
hello. I am the Hunter. and this *hefts gun onto box*
Is my weapon.
She fires 12 gold custom forged titanium steel rounds at 1000 rounds per minute. It costs 2300 gold to fire this weapon for 12 seconds.
*Break to night elf laughter*
Oh my god... who touched my fluffy? *examines pet wolf* WHY TOUCHED MY PET!

Some rogues think they can outsmart me. Maybe. *sniff* Maybe.
Have yet to find rogue who can outsmart BOOLET.

*Cut to scene of a bloodlusted hunter moving down Death Knight and Rogues. Fade to black.*

Coming soon, meet the scout/shaman, Meet the Sniper/mage, Meet the

Demoman/Warlock.
"What makes me a good Warlock? If I was a bad Warlock, I wouldnt be sitting here, discussing it with you, now would i?! On misplace incantation, on smuged pentagram, one errant TWITCH...AND DEMONS!"

TheLogman
2009-08-26, 05:03 PM
So, for those of us who wield the very impressive medal, what number is yours?

Check it out, you just put in your steam community url, and you can get your backpack on display for the whole world!

Here's mine. (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197990490362)

You'll notice that mine is number 10294.

http://www.tf2items.com

There's the website.

Also, I'm really considering idling. All my friends are, and I'm not getting any decent play time now because I keep joining pubs and getting frustrated. Plus, you know, cool hats!

And I think I might get to work on that payload map. I have a decent idea of how to make maps now.

Player_Zero
2009-08-26, 05:07 PM
Mine is like 3000 or something.

Also, there's not much point in looking at other people's backpacks to be honest.

Dragor
2009-08-26, 05:09 PM
Uh, no. (http://tf2wiki.net/w/images/6/6f/Scout_no01.wav) I'll be tellin them where I need teleporters. (http://tf2wiki.net/w/images/a/a5/Scout_needteleporter01.wav) :smalltongue: (http://tf2wiki.net/w/images/a/a6/Scout_specialcompleted03.wav)

Oh, thank you SO much for linking "UH, NO!" I imitate the Scout in a very bad way when I disagree with my brother, and now I can simply spam the .wav file. :smallbiggrin:

The Linker
2009-08-26, 05:25 PM
Also, there's not much point in looking at other people's backpacks to be honest.

There is if you can look at Robin Walker's backpack! (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197960435530) :smallbiggrin:

Stupid Valve versions of all the regular weapons. I want that +9900% damage Rocket launcher.

Nano
2009-08-26, 05:27 PM
Mein badge is 5944. Neat.

Phase
2009-08-26, 05:35 PM
There is if you can look at Robin Walker's backpack! (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197960435530) :smallbiggrin:

Stupid Valve versions of all the regular weapons. I want that +9900% damage Rocket launcher.

:smalleek:

Holy crap, that's painful!

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-26, 05:39 PM

But you don't care about the plus 500 health on hit and plus 250 max health? :smalltongue:

Nano
2009-08-26, 05:41 PM
...But that's only 450 max health! Does it go to overheal?!

Myatar_Panwar
2009-08-26, 05:45 PM
Valve Flame Thrower

-100% critical chance on burning players. LOL :smallbiggrin:

NeoVid
2009-08-26, 05:57 PM
Observe the pack of sadness. (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197998866635)

Hell, now I know I'm not the only one in the group with a lvl 99 Huntsman. Damn.

The Linker
2009-08-26, 06:11 PM
Anyone remember a few weeks ago, when I was asking about video cards, trying to see what kind a certain laptop had?

Yeah, I'm still on that. :smalltongue:

Now I've found an entirely different laptop. (http://www.xoticpc.com/force-3310-built-compal-jhl90-p-2455.html?wconfigure=yes) It starts at $700, and appears to have everything I need for a good gaming laptop. After improving the Processor to 2.53 ghz, upgrading the RAM to 4 GB, improving the hard drive space, putting 64-bit Windows Vista on it, and throwing in a 10-dollar carrying case, it's still only $1172.

Now... Rigel and I have been scouring the specs, looking for some kind of catch. This deal just looks... too good. The last laptop started at $1500, and yet everything here seems to be compable. Before I finalize this, I was wondering if some computer-literate folks could give it a once-over and make sure there's nothing hidden that would prevent it from being a good gaming laptop? :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Crap. Just found out how the video card stacks up...

...Not great. :smallfrown:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-26, 06:23 PM
Anyone remember a few weeks ago, when I was asking about video cards, trying to see what kind a certain laptop had?

Yeah, I'm still on that. :smalltongue:

Now I've found an entirely different laptop. (http://www.xoticpc.com/force-3310-built-compal-jhl90-p-2455.html?wconfigure=yes) It starts at $700, and appears to have everything I need for a good gaming laptop. After improving the Processor to 2.53 ghz, upgrading the RAM to 4 GB, improving the hard drive space, putting 64-bit Windows Vista on it, and throwing in a 10-dollar carrying case, it's still only $1172.

Now... Rigel and I have been scouring the specs, looking for some kind of catch. This deal just looks... too good. The last laptop started at $1500, and yet everything here seems to be compable. Before I finalize this, I was wondering if some computer-literate folks could give it a once-over and make sure there's nothing hidden that would prevent it from being a good gaming laptop? :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Crap. Just found out how the video card stacks up...

...Not great. :smallfrown:

Video cards can't be that expensive.

Right?

....right?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-26, 06:23 PM
Observe the pack of sadness. (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197998866635)

Hell, now I know I'm not the only one in the group with a lvl 99 Huntsman. Damn.

You think that's sad? You should see mine. (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197998185776)

The Linker
2009-08-26, 06:35 PM
Video cards can't be that expensive.

Right?

....right?

I'm guessing it was a bad video card coupled with a good deal. Or there were horrible, horrible things wrong with it somewhere I couldn't see. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I found a different one. (http://www.xoticpc.com/gt628-gaming-laptop-order-p-2631.html?wconfigure=yes) $1441.00 after adding Windows Vista (which is the only customization option I got that I cared about, oddly.) The video card seems sufficient...

So, uh... I guess I'm lifting the question from my previous post and putting it here. Anything wwrong with it? :smalltongue:

TheLogman
2009-08-26, 07:12 PM
Has anyone used the idler?

It keeps telling me that it has "no handler" with some numbers.

Am I still getting items?

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-26, 07:30 PM
It tells you if you get items. If it says you have, you have. & Visa versa. I'm guessing not in this case

Volug
2009-08-26, 07:43 PM
Well Anime Banzai is coming up here in Utah. It's not all about anime, but about gaming too. Last year there was no one TF2 cosplaying. Though a bunch of my groupies are thinking of doing that. I'm going as engineer, pics will be provided after a long... long time... It starts in October so expect them late that month.

Alleine
2009-08-26, 07:47 PM
Has anyone used the idler?

It keeps telling me that it has "no handler" with some numbers.

Am I still getting items?

Yeah, you should still be getting items. I think.

My bro and I use the idler, fat lot of good it does us though. Neither of us has even gotten a leveled item from idling yet.

KBF
2009-08-26, 07:48 PM
So, for those of us who wield the very impressive medal, what number is yours?

You mean my impressive, cool, and very shiny medal? It's 9888 (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197994827880), which is pretty awesome.

EDIT:
^ They fixed leveled items, apparently. The only 'leveled' items I've seen were >10, probably as a joke. And if you are idling for items, it's faster to cheat the normal way by farming achievements. Don't bother idling for a hat unless you are obsessed over it. They aren't even close to our frikkin' awesome medals, private twinkletoes.

Fawkes
2009-08-26, 07:58 PM

what the crap.

I hate that guy.

Nano
2009-08-26, 08:14 PM
I love Robin to death.

TheLogman
2009-08-26, 08:19 PM
I wouldn't say obsessed, but I don't plan to play any TF2 until I play some TF2, which will be when a friend is on, or the Grinder happens again.

Or whatever.

But if I'm not playing, then why not idle? It lets me stop with a push of a button, and damn do I want a hat.

Plus, I can wear both the medal and a soldier hat at the same time.

Which is awesome.

Oh, and I've already got all the items. Some of which are leveled.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-08-26, 09:23 PM
Idling is for babies.

KBF
2009-08-26, 09:42 PM
Idling is for babies.

This.

And you will not get a hat from idling. It just generally does not happen.

The Linker
2009-08-26, 09:44 PM
Idling is for babies.

Huh, that should make the Heavy happy. He won't be forced to fight babies if they're all idling. :smallbiggrin:

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-26, 10:23 PM
This.

My first and thus far only hat was obtained via idling! :smallcool:

Alleine
2009-08-26, 11:22 PM

Because I will totally get a hat from playing regularly.

Wait, no I won't. I don't play nearly as much as anyone else here, therefore my chances of ever getting a hat go so far down the tubes that it isn't even funny. Idling is the only way I will ever get a hat.

Can someone post a pic of themselves wearing the medal? All I know is what it looks like without a person pinned to it. Its no good if no one ever sees your shiny prize.

chiasaur11
2009-08-26, 11:31 PM
Because I will totally get a hat from playing regularly.

Wait, no I won't. I don't play nearly as much as anyone else here, therefore my chances of ever getting a hat go so far down the tubes that it isn't even funny. Idling is the only way I will ever get a hat.

In fact, unfortunately, due to a lack of protection against idling, almost no-one (statistically rather than anecdotally) would get them legit.

And if you want one for a specific class...

BRC
2009-08-26, 11:38 PM
I started playing tf2 again, now that I have a good lappy
I coined a probably not new Term: Hevenge.
Hevenge is what happens when you smoke a medic, only to find yourself the victim of the wrath of the heavy they were healing.

Rutskarn
2009-08-26, 11:40 PM
I started playing tf2 again, now that I have a good lappy
I coined a probably not new Term: Hevenge.
Hevenge is what happens when you smoke a medic, only to find yourself the victim of the wrath of the heavy they were healing.

Huh. Not bad.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-08-26, 11:45 PM
Hats are wayyy overrated. Its more of a "oh cool I just happened to get some neat little thing which I may equip sometime". If you are idling for hats then you are actively (sort of) searching for something pretty worthless, which is supposed to be some random small surprise. I can understand idling for spy/sniper items before they added achievements, but not hats.

I wish I could come up with an appropriate and witty analogy to show you how silly you guys are being, but I can't.

Rutskarn
2009-08-26, 11:54 PM
Hats are wayyy overrated. Its more of a "oh cool I just happened to get some neat little thing which I may equip sometime". If you are idling for hats then you are actively (sort of) searching for something pretty worthless, which is supposed to be some random small surprise. I can understand idling for spy/sniper items before they added achievements, but not hats.

I wish I could come up with an appropriate and witty analogy to show you how silly you guys are being, but I can't.

You, sir, lack style and moxie.

All fake pixels representing guns do is modify the pixels on your screen. The same can be said for hats.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-08-27, 12:07 AM
You, sir, lack style and moxie.

All fake pixels representing guns do is modify the pixels on your screen. The same can be said for hats.

Best argument ever.

Alleine
2009-08-27, 12:13 AM

I just want a hat. Idling costs me nothing as I can do it even while playing another game like L4D or while I sleep. Besides, pretty much everything used for my entertainment is worthless. Its not like me being happy boosts my efficiency or anything. I don't have a job.

Perhaps I'm silly. But at least I'm not spitting venom and smashing things because I don't have a hat. Then I'd have to give you full license to end my pathetic life.

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-27, 12:53 AM

Hats are cool, stylish and fun. Hats add variety and customization to the game. Good enough reasons for me. All I have to do is double click and then I can go about my day. And if eventually I come back and find I've gotten a hat, well that just makes my day even neater. It's not like idlers sit in front of their computers staring at the idle program all day. :smalltongue: And considering the rarity of them, it's still very much a random surprise.

Maybe people make a bit too big a deal about hats. But I'd rather let neat little things excite me rather than bore me.

Jibar
2009-08-27, 01:09 AM
Hey, nifty. (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561198009016836)

The sandvichs are all part of my genius plan.

BRC
2009-08-27, 01:24 AM
I have found my true calling. Now that my computer can run things quickly, I decided to experiment. And I discovered that scouts are AWESOME!

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-27, 02:25 AM
I had to tidy just for you guys. (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197994786006)

Level 100 Jarate. Oh yes.

Dogmantra
2009-08-27, 02:41 AM
I had to tidy just for you guys. (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197994786006)

[grumbling about stupid random unlocks]That's just great... you have four Ubersaws. I don't even have one! It likes to give me Razorbacks[/grumbling about stupid random unlocks]

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-27, 02:49 AM
[grumbling about stupid random unlocks]That's just great... you have four Ubersaws. I don't even have one! It likes to give me Razorbacks[/grumbling about stupid random unlocks]

If you're still sawless when Valve put in trading, hit me up. Though if it's any consolation, I did actually earn one of them. :smalltongue:

Ziren
2009-08-27, 04:27 AM

I need that one for my collection.

http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561198004444855

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-27, 04:40 AM
If there's one thing I know about collectors of piss in glass jars, it's that they have no sense of priorities. Trade it for the Beanie. :smallbiggrin:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-27, 05:06 AM
Hrm, this is odd. I jsut got another Flare gun and deleted it. apparantly, that made all my flareguns disappear.

My Dead Ringer is also gone for some reason.
Huh.

potatocubed
2009-08-27, 07:08 AM
So, the feedback is in from feud_a2's first proper playtest yesterday, and the consensus is "sux".

Drat. Back to the drawing board. I think I'll try something totally different and throw my hat* into the egregiously overpopulated KotH arena.

*Except I can't, because I don't have one. Bah, bah, and thrice bah.

Dispozition
2009-08-27, 07:52 AM
I surely love my KGB's (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197993626748)...Surely...

Player_Zero
2009-08-27, 08:10 AM
So... What does my backpack (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561198008042226) say about me?

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-27, 08:11 AM
My level 69 FAN and Glengarry Bonnet (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197975508878) are awesome.

Also the hat is from fake idle server so don't diss it. It only took me a solid week of running it.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-27, 08:22 AM
So... What does my backpack (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561198008042226) say about me?

It says you have the unlocks, and although you are a gentle manne, you are still amongst the lower-class non-elites who are hatless.
Oh, and you don't use alot of the unlocks.

Player_Zero
2009-08-27, 08:39 AM
I suppose the only unlocks I really use are jarate and the medic unlocks.

Jibar
2009-08-27, 08:44 AM

That I'm going to copy the way you've organised them?

Player_Zero
2009-08-27, 08:47 AM
That I'm going to copy the way you've organised them?

I copied it from someone else, so that's fine by me.

Jibar
2009-08-27, 08:53 AM
And so the wheel keeps turning...

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-27, 10:10 AM
So, apparently, hats are distributed in the following manner:

Every (undisclosed amount of time) you have a ??? percent change of getting a weapon. At the same time, a two thousand sided die is rolled, and only a natural twenty awards a hat.

Does this seem completely insane to anyone else? So far, my friends seem split between

"I HAVE NO HATS WAAH"
"I got my hat the first day! OLOLOLOLOL"
"after twelve hundred hours of idling, I received my first hat!"

SteamStats, the idler plugin I'm running, records how many items go out to the idlers on a per-whatever basis. After ten minutes, I'd seen three hats.

Three hats for over ten thousand people. I'm currently trying to see how many hats are distributed per-hour, but my computer keeps not lasting an hour. Since only around 25,000 people are in tf2 total (Did I mention that? Yeah. Almost 50% of the people logged into TF2 at any one time are not, in fact, running TF2) this should make a decent sample.

Since I don't have the hour's summary yet, I'll just extrapolate from my 10 minute sample, fully aware that I could've just seen a particularly unusual ten minutes. Let's see if I remember how to do statistics.

3 hats for ten minutes means an average of 1 hat per 3.33333 minutes. That is, every 3.3333 minutes, one in eleven thousand tf2 users received a hat.

If that continues, that means we get 18 hats per hour for that playerbase. Divide 18 by eleven thousand and we get a .1636363636repeating PERCENT chance that, on any given hour, any given idler will receive a hat.

4/25ths of a percent, in other words. Or, for 6.25 hours that you idle, you have a 1 percent chance of getting a hat, so, statistically, the average player will receive around one hat per six hundred twenty five hours of play.

Assuming that I remember how to do math (quite improbable. While baking, I have been known to forget how many eggs I have added. Yes, I am incapable of counting to four) that a particular ten minute period can be assumed to be completely normal, and that Valve isn't screwing over the idlers in any way.

I'm just waiting for one of our statistics majors to step up and point out what I did wrong, really. Six hundred hours? One hat per twenty six days of nonstop play?

Narazil
2009-08-27, 10:10 AM
Unlocks are giving me a headache. I mean, I have like 15 Blutsaugers, but no Huntsman or whatever it's called.

Rutskarn
2009-08-27, 10:16 AM
Hey, here's a thought, Valve: once you've got one of every unlock, you only unlock hats. Not a perfect system, but it does reward having played a f***ton.

potatocubed
2009-08-27, 10:17 AM
If you really want a huntsman, I suggest playing as a sniper and getting one with achievements. Pick some that are easy and pursue them on maps that favour snipers - I farmed most of mine on Pipeline and Orange_x3. Orange isn't a great map, but good for sniper/spy achievement farming and fun enough with 32 people that it doesn't feel like a grind.

Of course, you can't do this for hats.

Edit: v At 2 hours of play every day, that's approx. one hat per year.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-27, 10:18 AM
Oops. I said weeks when I meant days.

BRC
2009-08-27, 10:23 AM
What exactly do Weapon Levels signify?

chiasaur11
2009-08-27, 10:25 AM
What exactly do Weapon Levels signify?

Nothing.

Zip.

Nada.

Kyouhen
2009-08-27, 10:37 AM
Nothing.

Zip.

Nada.

Other than how awesome you are that is. The awesomeness is on a exponential curve based on how high the number is. If you have something that's level 0 the awesomeness breaks the curve completely.

Jibar
2009-08-27, 10:40 AM
Other than how awesome you are that is. The awesomeness is on a exponential curve based on how high the number is. If you have something that's level 0 the awesomeness breaks the curve completely.

Marvel at my level 0 Ambassador, ye mighty level 100 Huntsman, and QUIVER!

Kyouhen
2009-08-27, 10:41 AM
Marvel at my level 0 Ambassador, ye mighty level 100 Huntsman, and QUIVER!

Joke's on you, I stole your level 100 quiver! Bwahaha!

Penguinizer
2009-08-27, 10:46 AM
I've got a level 67 sandvich, and a level 97 Cloak and Dagger. Suffice to say, I always use them.

Ikialev
2009-08-27, 11:05 AM
I don't have any, I mainly play medic, and achievements for those are a bit impossible.

Narazil
2009-08-27, 11:20 AM
This annoys me. (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197963707498)

Also, having spent 6 hours playing Spy over the last few days I can only say - damn it's fun! It's hard, and you usually die a lot, but damn it's rewarding.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-27, 11:29 AM
My idler has just completed it's first one-hour survey and has recorded 11197 idlers were online (on average, since not everyone stuck around for the whole hour) and received 31 hats.

So it seems either my ten-minute-sample was unusually hatless, or this last hour was particularly hatful!

Just imagine: If this hour is representative of all of them, it could be as few as TWO weeks nonstop gameplay per hat on average assuming that the karma gods do not hate you!

Phase
2009-08-27, 11:33 AM
I don't have any, I mainly play medic, and achievements for those are a bit impossible.

Speaking of, yesterday I got Chief of Staff, finally.

Dumpkoffs.

Rutskarn
2009-08-27, 11:47 AM
This annoys me. (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197963707498)

Also, having spent 6 hours playing Spy over the last few days I can only say - damn it's fun! It's hard, and you usually die a lot, but damn it's rewarding.

That's your backpack? Question:

Why in the 32 fresh n' minty hells do you not have your ubersaw and blutsauger equipped?

Narazil
2009-08-27, 11:48 AM
That's your backpack? Question:

Why in the 32 fresh n' minty hells do you not have your ubersaw and blutsauger equipped?
Well, I have. I think it's bugged - most of the stuff there (Cloak and Dagger, Backburner ect) is equipped.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-27, 11:53 AM
I just wanted to share a little screenshot to you all:
Yes, I'm aware my team and myself in particular, are all loosing, but look at the circled bit. Specifically under "Ping".

I thought mine was bad.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/thanatos5150/Other%20stuff/Pingariffic.jpg

Ziren
2009-08-27, 11:53 AM
Speaking of, yesterday I got Chief of Staff, finally.

Dumpkoffs.

It's "Dummkopfs", although the Medic apparently isn't that good at speaking German as well, because the correct plural of Dummkopf (stupid-head) would be Dummköpfe. And "Schweinhunds" would be "Schweinehunde" (pigdogs).

I understand that the Medic is caricature of the depiction of Germans (or at least the German language) in movies like Die Hard. But don't tell anyone.

The Linker
2009-08-27, 12:03 PM
I just wanted to share a little screenshot to you all:
Yes, I'm aware my team and myself in particular, are all loosing, but look at the circled bit. Specifically under "Ping".

I thought mine was bad.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/thanatos5150/Other%20stuff/Pingariffic.jpg

As a Pyro, even. :smalleek:

At least if he was a Sniper, he could still get headshots that registered an entire second later. Wouldn't exactly be fun for the other team, but... :smalltongue:

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-27, 12:34 PM
Once the tradition system is implemented, I'd appreciate it if the forum could donate me their ubersaws. I already have eight, and so any contributions to my collection would be greatly appreciated.

chiasaur11
2009-08-27, 12:48 PM
Once the tradition system is implemented, I'd appreciate it if the forum could donate me their ubersaws. I already have eight, and so any contributions to my collection would be greatly appreciated.

Dangit.

And here I am without even one...

Player_Zero
2009-08-27, 12:49 PM
Two kills... Twenty two deaths... What?

Ikialev
2009-08-27, 01:14 PM
I have to ask; is this score okay for first time playing scout?

http://xs842.xs.to/xs842/09354/tf2722.png [sorry about non-english, but it's all in place]

Player_Zero
2009-08-27, 01:28 PM
What do you mean 'for the first time playing scout'? You're not going to do well your first time.

You only got one kill or one kill assist every three lives. But would you really expect to do well your first time playing?

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-27, 01:37 PM
Ah! My second hourly report has arrived. (Due to my attention span and internet connection, I rarely last long enough to get a full hour, so reports are infrequent)

11140 idlers and 31 hats.

EDIT: 6494 weapons, too, for those who are into that sort of thing.

Rutskarn
2009-08-27, 01:45 PM
Ah! My second hourly report has arrived. (Due to my attention span and internet connection, I rarely last long enough to get a full hour, so reports are infrequent)

11140 idlers and 31 hats.

EDIT: 6494 weapons, too, for those who are into that sort of thing.

Nyyaaarrgghhh.

I don't think I can take being poor and Irish much longer.

BRC
2009-08-27, 01:49 PM
I have noticed somthing in my short time as a scout, a certain experience occurs when two or more scouts face off against each other. Accuraccy does not exist in that situation, you just keep pressing and hope that, as the two scouts fly around each other like some sort of demented yo-yo, you happen to be facing them when you shoot. At this point whichever hand you use for the movement keys gets a mind of it's own. Flinging you about with reckless abandon.

In short, it is very, very fun.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-27, 01:57 PM
Nyyaaarrgghhh.

I don't think I can take being poor and Irish much longer.

All signs point to being poor and irish for a looooong time.

chiasaur11
2009-08-27, 02:04 PM
All signs point to being poor and irish for a looooong time.

I choose to never be poor and Irish again!

By never playing a class other than Soldier, Engineer, or Scout.

Ziren
2009-08-27, 02:09 PM
What do you mean 'for the first time playing scout'? You're not going to do well your first time.

You only got one kill or one kill assist every three lives. But would you really expect to do well your first time playing?

To be fair, he was playing KotH_Nucleus which is a rather bad map for scouts.

NeoVid
2009-08-27, 03:26 PM

That you got to play a hell of a lot when the random-level items were still appearing.

You think that's sad? You should see mine. (http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197998185776)

Depressing, yes, but fortunately your big problem can be solved by a few hours focusing on getting achievements. Mine can be solved by a change in the hat drop system. I like Rut's idea, and I personally had the thought of being able to get 1 hat of your choice for any class you have all the milestones for. Why do the appearance-customizing items have to be the rarest thing? I just know the first one I get will be one I don't like enough to wear.

I've got a level 67 sandvich, and a level 97 Cloak and Dagger. Suffice to say, I always use them.

I have a level 81 Sandvich. It's 81 times tastier!

I'm still annoyed at my own dumbness for not noticing random levels when they first showed up, and deleting randomized duplicates. Now I desperately need a random level Ambassador.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-27, 03:41 PM
I think I have a random level version of all the items except the Sandvich and the Dead Ringer. So I'm not doing too badly on that front. GIVE ME A HAT

Ikialev
2009-08-27, 03:52 PM
What is so important in having random-lvled weapons?

Also, I tried idling for a moment. In FIRST minute the Blutsauger popped in.

Ziren
2009-08-27, 03:54 PM
What is so important in having random-lvled weapons?

The same thing that is important about having hats.