PDA

View Full Version : Music Diversity

Kedrot
2006-05-24, 09:04 PM
The other day it hit me like a bag of bricks. Why not give all types of music a chance instead of immediately dismissing them. When my friend told me to listen to a song, told me it was "screamo" and I immediately said "hells no!" buuuuuut later on I listened to it and now it's one of my fav's. All songs no matter what style have some sort of story or emotion that everyone should hear. I would like this thread to be open to ANY suggestions for ANY songs at all. It doesn't matter if you feel weird posting it, I don't want any music bashing in here. It's a spot to share the stuff you like, and take in what others like.

To start off, I'd like to recomend anything from Jack Johnson's CD: Brushfire Fairytales.

Wukei
2006-05-24, 09:07 PM
Finian's Rainbow is really good.

If you were a fan of Dr Seuss as a kid, try Seussical the Musical.

Wicked's amazing.

Into the Woods is hilarious. (It's the first I show to people who have decided they don't like musicals. After they've seen it they seem to love musicals.)

Ave Q for anyone over 18...it's Sesame St on crack.

Camelot's one of my all time favourites, though.

And Starlight Express is, in my opinion, Andrew Lloyd Webber's best.

Amotis
2006-05-24, 09:07 PM
Ok...not gonna yell at you for either of those choices given the title/mood of the thread.
(but just to let you know, I would of tackled you if this was any other thread ;))

Well if you like Jack, try John Mayer. Wonderfully catchy songs and cool to just pick up guitar and sing 'em. And have everyone sing along.

Um...I'm having a really hard time thinking of one...give me time to break out of my musical 1337 shell. ::)

Ego Slayer
2006-05-24, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I was like.. "Ska" WTF?
Its actually pretty fun. :P
I always try listening to everything. I listen to from metal to jazz, play classical piano. Finding new bands in different genres is really fun.

TinSoldier
2006-05-24, 09:11 PM
I don't have any specific songs to recommend, but I want to agree with you.

I hate it when people say they like "anything but country" or "anything but rap"! I like it all.

I know I don't like most Jazz or Classical music but I'm not about to say "anything but...".

Anyway, sing on brother.

I noticed most of my favorite songs are written by Jim Steinman:
Bonnie Tyler Total Eclipse of the Heart
Meat Loaf I Would Do Anything For Love
Meat Loaf Paradise By The Dashboard Light
Air Supply Making Love Out Of Nothing At All

But I like lots of other songs from hard rock to country to blues to folk to rap.

Wukei
2006-05-24, 09:14 PM
I hate it when people say they like "anything but country" or "anything but rap"! I like it all.

I have to say I'm guilty of this. Both, actually. There are a few of both country and rap that I like, but for the most part the new country is just pop-wannabe. And the rap doesn't take any talent if a 10 year old can become famous for doing it. (Though there are a few rap songs that obviously take talent.)

Like I said, I've tried it. It's just not my cup of tea. Though, like I said, I like a few country and rap songs. Is it hypicritical to hate most of it but find a few of them entertaining?

Amotis
2006-05-24, 09:15 PM
I like meatloaf but just because of comic relief. That and he dresses like a pirate. Yarr.

Brickwall
2006-05-24, 09:16 PM
There is guaranteed to be one song of any given genre that I like. So, therefore, I'm willing to listen to any song I have not heard before. Unless I have something else that I, at that time, wish to listen to.

Amotis
2006-05-24, 09:17 PM
Oh, I have something to add!
I am guilty of possessing (though I have no idea how I got them) a few gangster rap cd's. Like back when Snoop Dogg was rising up.

Wukei
2006-05-24, 09:20 PM
I've got Boys II Men ^.^ my boyfriend found them for me. It was a sentimental act. My first cd ever was that Boys II Men cd that was blue and silver with the big II on the case? He couldn't find that one, though...too bad, I'm not to fond of some of the songs on the cd he got me.

Still, it was sweet.

PhoeKun
2006-05-24, 09:23 PM
My music tastes widely vary, but I was recently very impressed by The Protomen. I'd be buying their cd right now if their website hadn't choked on its bandwidth limit.

And (for me, this is as necessary as breathing), I must make another mention of Utada Hikaru. I really like her english albumns...

Amotis
2006-05-24, 09:26 PM
And (for me, this is as necessary as breathing), I must make another mention of Utada Hikaru. I really like her english albumns...
I'd wish you'd sufficate. ;) Hehe, just kidding. I like maybe one of her songs. I prefer Onitsuka Chihiro's "Infection" 1000 times better. You voice is almost as good as Amy's (Evanescence) voice in My Immortal.

TinSoldier
2006-05-24, 09:28 PM
I have to say I'm guilty of this. Both, actually. There are a few of both country and rap that I like, but for the most part the new country is just pop-wannabe. And the rap doesn't take any talent if a 10 year old can become famous for doing it. (Though there are a few rap songs that obviously take talent.)

Like I said, I've tried it. It's just not my cup of tea. Though, like I said, I like a few country and rap songs. Is it hypicritical to hate most of it but find a few of them entertaining?I actually agree a little bit. I think a lot of modern country is "bubblegum" and while I don't hate it it doesn't really stick with me that much.

The country music that I like has a harder edge to it. I don't usually like the older twangy stuff. I'll probably get skinned alive if I suggest that I think that Hank Williams Sr. is a bit overrated. But the country I like is rooted in the Blues, Rock, and Folk music. Also, I love Garth Brooks. I'm also talking Toby Keith, Gary Alan, Big & Rich, etc.

The rap I listen to is also a bit older. Public Enemy, The Beastie Boys, and Digital Underground. It can get a bit repetive but with Rap it all depends on the lyrics. I remember listening to stuff like EPMD and Will Smith a long time ago and I liked it. (I need to get some DJ Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince CDs!)

If you want a fusion of Rap and Country, listen to Cowboy Troy. He's pretty good!

I remember that I didn't like Metallica or Iron Maiden at first, but their songs grew on me. That's one of the instances where familiarity does not breed contempt.

Kishkumen
2006-05-24, 09:30 PM
I'm listening to bluegrass right now. I also recently discovered Iron Maiden.
Video game soundtracks can be quite good too, as demonstraed by Chris Huelsbeck (many NES games), Michael Giacchino (Medal of Honor), and Scientific Community (formerly named Autopilot which did the music for Descent 3 and Alter Echo).

PhoeKun
2006-05-24, 09:30 PM
I'd wish you'd sufficate. ;) Hehe, just kidding. I like maybe one of her songs. I prefer Onitsuka Chihiro's "Infection" 1000 times better. You voice is almost as good as Amy's (Evanescence) voice in My Immortal.

I'm sorry, it must be the chip implanted in my brain...

Jack Squat
2006-05-24, 09:31 PM
If you want 70's Colorado hippie rock, try Firefall. They strike me as a mix between Allman Brothers and Jethro Tull, both are good. Eric Clapton is overrated outside of Cream or Derick and the Dominoes.

P.O.D. has a few good songs, particularly from Satellite
Collective Soul is pretty good, but I mostly like them because of Shine
I've always liked Matchbox 20, but their E.P. album was a letdown to say the least.
Lifehouse is generally a nice choice
Def Leppard, Journey, Nazareth, etc. (just tune into the local classic rock station) is nice. I can't reccommend Nick Gilder unless you like guys that sing *exactly* like girls, but that's not classic rock, so the point is moot.

I'll have to agree with Amotis on Meat Loaf, especailly because I have 5-ish of his albums (mostly my dad's), I also have to point out that his cover art is awesome

Bat Out of Hell (http://www.headbanger.us/gallerie_m/bilder/meat_loaf_bat_out_of_hell_front.jpg)
Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell (http://www.headbanger.us/gallerie_m/bilder/meat_loaf_bat_out_of_hell_two_front.jpg)
Bad Attitude (http://eil.com/newgallery/Meat-Loaf-Bad-Attitude-288261.jpg)
Welcome to the Neighborhood (http://image.com.com/mp3/images/cover/200/drd100/d152/d15212v0d7c.jpg)

I'll be back to add more as I remember it (music, not the album covers)

RoboticSheeple
2006-05-24, 09:33 PM
My music tastes widely vary, but I was recently very impressed by The Protomen. I'd be buying their cd right now if their website hadn't choked on its bandwidth limit.

That would be thanks to 8-Bit putting up a link I think. ;D

I feel bad recommending any music because I'm one of those sorts that just can't stand a lot of most genres. But I will say Enon is worth checking out anyway, even if I feel bad for being an elitest?

TinSoldier
2006-05-24, 09:35 PM
For Meat Loaf, I only have Bat Out of Hell I and Bat Out of Hell II; I think the second is the better album.

When I'm in a really bad or funky mood, I put that in and it's like prozac for me.

Amotis
2006-05-24, 09:35 PM
If you want 70's Colorado hippie rock, try Firefall. They strike me as a mix between Allman Brothers and Jethro Tull, both are good.

I think I will. I love both of those bands so I'll try it.

Eric Clapton is overrated outside of Cream or Derick and the Dominoes.

I liked his unplugged album. :P

Lifehouse is generally a nice choice YAAAAAAY! *screams from rooftops* I just saw him and am learning You and Me.

Def Leppard, Journey, Nazareth, etc. (just tune into the local classic rock station) is nice. I can't reccommend Nick Gilder unless you like guys that sing *exactly* like girls, but that's not classic rock, so the point is moot.

Heyheyhey, let's not mix classic rock with 80's rock.
The Who, Boston, etc are classic rock. Not Journey and the gang.

TinSoldier
2006-05-24, 09:38 PM
Heyheyhey, let's not mix classic rock with 80's rock.
The Who, Boston, etc are classic rock. Not Journey and the gang.While I generally agree that Journey is not in the same class as The Who or Boston (or Rush!) I must say that anything that is still good after twenty years is considered classic.

At least with cars that's what they used to do.

PhoeKun
2006-05-24, 09:42 PM
Every once in a while, Jimmy Buffet is good. And every time I say that, I worry that someone will stab me.

Oh, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra is just plain awesome. I'm upset with myself for not mentioning them sooner.

Amotis
2006-05-24, 09:46 PM
Oh, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra is just plain awesome. I'm upset with myself for not mentioning them sooner.

Hells YEA!
They can rock the freaken roof off! Total awesomeness of every level!

Yea...I like them. :P

TinSoldier
2006-05-24, 09:49 PM
Every once in a while, Jimmy Buffet is good. And every time I say that, I worry that someone will stab me.

Oh, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra is just plain awesome. I'm upset with myself for not mentioning them sooner.There's nothing at all wrong with Jimmy Buffet. *Puts a parrot on his head*

RoboticSheeple
2006-05-24, 09:49 PM

almost stabbed, I thought the Guilty Gear avatar was enough to redeem you... :P

and Meatloaf is well unique, he's the guy i love to pretend to hate.

Amotis
2006-05-24, 09:50 PM
There's nothing at all wrong with Jimmy Buffet. *Puts a parrot on his head*

Yarr. *goes to margarittaville*

Jack Squat
2006-05-24, 09:55 PM

How'd I forget those two...Of course I can only listen to 5 Jimmy Buffet songs before it gets repetetive, and that's when I'm in the mood for a tropical party.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra is full blown awesome. Gonna have to see them this year when they play in Cincy, like they do every December.

Gaelic Storm is great, I really like Drink the Night Away and Johnny Tarr, but there really isn't a song I don't really like of theirs, just thought I'd mention those.
Dexy's Midnight Runners is a good band, most people remember Come on Eileen
Huey Lewis is nice soft rock, but I have yet to find a song that isn't upbeat from him.
The J Geils Band was an awesome band to view live, too bad I'm only 16 so I couldn't see them.
Johnny Lang is good, I was able to see him 2 years ago.

Can't name any specific band, but highland pipe and drum bands are nice to listen to, as long as you don't get right next to them :P

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Amotis
2006-05-24, 09:59 PM
Trans-Siberian Orchestra is full blown awesome. Gonna have to see them this year when they play in Cincy, like they do every December.

I will see them live someday too!
Oh, and Metallica's S&M album is kinda cool. They play with the LA Phil.

TinSoldier
2006-05-24, 10:06 PM
Dexy's Midnight Runners is a good band, most people remember Come on EileenWhat, they did other songs :o ?

The J Geils Band was an awesome band to view live, too bad I'm only 16 so I couldn't see them.I've seen Foreigner in concert. Well, they were past their prime but it was still cool.

I've seen Steppenwolf twice and that was good.

I've also seen Kansas. I love it when washed-up rock bands that I love come to county fairs!

Oh, and while county fairs may show washed-up rock bands, they also show current country artists/bands. 'Nother good reason to go to them (besides the rides).

Amotis
2006-05-24, 10:09 PM
What, they did other songs :o ?

Heh, one hit wonders are fun.

Mattaeu
2006-05-24, 10:25 PM
...You and Me.Every night, I cry for the English Language. :( :P

The radio got me into a few bands, but generally I rely on threads like these.

So, Jim Croce (cause I don't mess around with Jim);
Eydie Gorme;
Dean Martin;
(some)Gorillaz;
another vote for TSO: my sister got two tickets to them when they came through slc...took my other sister :(
John Denver ::)
and almost everything on your local "Oldies" station. they are ingrained into my subconcious from 14 hr road trips with the family.

Enjoy!

Amotis
2006-05-25, 12:45 AM
Every night, I cry for the English Language. :( :P

I don't know what you're alluding to ( :P) but you and me can be correct sometimes.

Kedrot
2006-05-25, 06:19 AM

Utada Hikaru For The WIN!!!!!1(one)1337 and shuch which, what else does she have in english, I only have the 2 kingdom hearts themes

Mr Croup
2006-05-25, 04:43 PM
I definitely have pretty eclectic taste in music. There's some stuff that I just can't listen to, but I don't really rule anything out by genre.

Some of my favorites:
VNV Nation - call it futurepop, modern EBM, or what have you, but it's great stuff, capable of being, hard, driving, danceable, moving, or relaxing. Top of my chart.
Elvis Costello - I fell madly in love with his music when a friend of mine played Oliver's Army for me about 12 years ago. He's been at it for nearly three decades, and his music has changed and evolved a bit. I prefer his earlier stuff, like Oliver's Army and My Aim is True personally.
Depeche Mode - first video I remember seeing on MTV was People are People, and I was hooked. Their early stuff if very bright synth pop, but as they progressed their music became more complex and darker. The newest album, Playing the Angel is fantastic.
The Specials - hyper politicial ska and the fathers of two-tone. If you're into ska, you've most likely heard them, if not, have a listen.
Royksopp - a Norwegian duo. Really chilled out downbeat. Their first album, Melody AM is quite possibly the best thing I've heard in the last 4 or 5 years. Their second album, The Understanding, is very different, but good. A lot more up beat with some poppy hooks. I recommend them to everyone.
The Smiths and Morrissey - as much as it shames me sometimes, I'm a big fan of the Smiths and Morrissey's solo stuff. Sure, he can be whiney and angst ridden, but he's got a fantastic voice and some very poignant lyrics.
Apoptygma Berzerk - another EBM/futurepop band, hailing from Scandanavia. Their early stuff is very dark, and have slowly moved to more dance driven sounds over the last few years. Good stuff, though I'm not a fan of everything they've done. 7 is probably their best album in my opinion.
The Housemartins - Great band from the mid 80's. A four man group from Hull, England. Catchy guitar based pop, with a fair share of political sentiment. The bassist, Norman Cook is better known as Fatboy Slim.
Kings of Convenience - yet another band from Scandanavia that I'm in love with. They're a duo from Norway, and are amazing. I got hooked into them through Royksopp, as one of the members sang on a couple tracks of their first album. Beautiful music, every last song. They've got a sound that sometimes reminds me of Simon & Garfunkle, some shoe gazing stuff, and a few songs that just make you want to dance.
Explosions in the Sky - gorgeous instrumental music. Reminds me of the best Cure guitar rifts, but lusher.
The Avalanches - an Austrailian group that puts out some of the best electronic/dj culture music I've heard recently.

Right, I think that's probably enough out of me. Sometimes, I just can't help myself and must geek out on music.

PhoeKun
2006-05-25, 04:57 PM
Utada Hikaru For The WIN!!!!!1(one)1337 and shuch which, what else does she have in english, I only have the 2 kingdom hearts themes

*whistles* Then you have lived your life in darkness. Step into the light (see, that's a play on words, right there. Get it?) Here, have a discography (http://www.utada-online.net/disco.html).

(Sorry, Amotis. I need oxygen to live!)

Midnight Son
2006-05-25, 05:25 PM

Like I said, I've tried it. It's just not my cup of tea. Though, like I said, I like a few country and rap songs. Is it hypicritical to hate most of it but find a few of them entertaining?That would only be hypocritical if you said that you hate a certain genre in total. I really don't care for Gangsta or Hip-hop for the most part, but there are some of each category that I do like. As such, if someone plays me anew song or it's on MTV2 or some such, I'll give it a listen for a bit. Most times I switch after a few lines, but if the music is catchy and the lyrics are decent(by which I mean "not inane") I'll keep it.

As for music I would suggest? I like Jem a lot. Been listening to Martina McBride, Evanescence(if you know me, you know that's a given), ABBA, Aerosmith, Shakira, and Alan Jackson recently. Did a mix of Mandy Moore this morning on the way to work.

For those with a bit more exotic taste(read not English), I suggest La Oreja de Van Gogh for Spanish or Alizée for French.

Amotis
2006-05-25, 08:21 PM
*whistles* Then you have lived your life in darkness. Step into the light (see, that's a play on words, right there. Get it?) Here, have a discography (http://www.utada-online.net/disco.html).

(Sorry, Amotis. I need oxygen to live!)

It's ok. Just check out Onitsuka Chihiro's "Infection" and we'll be even. ;D

Fuzzy_Penguin
2006-05-25, 08:36 PM
I reccomend Heavy Metal and hard rock (Metallica, Disturbed, Mudvayne, and my favorite, 10 years are some good ones) and I also enjoy rap (Sean Paul and Chammillionare). I also like black eyed peas, whatever you'd think they would be. Now I'm gonna go look up screamo music, sounds like something I'd be into. Heck, I'm listening to Disturbed right now as I type this!

Amotis
2006-05-25, 08:41 PM
Ew, I say. But other than that elistist comment I have this to ask.
Why do some people think Metallica and Mudvayne arn't metal? And Jonny Cash not country? I can see the Cash arugement but what about the others? Is it because of the huge ammount of Metal sub categories? Epic metal certainly steps on the old metal monsters but that doesn't mean the old guys arn't metal.

Arian
2006-05-25, 09:52 PM
Eric Bogle

Judy Small

Two Australian writers of modern folk music. (Scotland tries to claim Eric Bogle, but they can't have him back. They shouldn't have let him go to begin with.)

Songs that are about things. You can understand all the words. You can even sing them yourself, if you want to - and hey, Eric and Judy are singer/songwriters who can sing!

Woot, woot.

Toxic Avenger
2006-05-25, 10:10 PM
Why do some people think Metallica and Mudvayne arn't metal?
There are some metalheads who are dogmatic in their belief that the only "true metal" is "their own metal". Anyone else who varies from that, or tries new or different varieties of metal, are seen as "wimps and posers" in their eyes. ::)

Amotis
2006-05-25, 10:12 PM
There are some metalheads who are dogmatic in their belief that the only "true metal" is "their own metal". Anyone else who varies from that, or tries new or different varieties of metal, are seen as "wimps and posers" in their eyes. ::)

Oh, ok. Heh, just like any other genre of music. ::)
Oh well, I will stand bad stuff like Slayer and Slipknot so I can see Children of Boden next week. ;D

PhoeKun
2006-05-25, 10:34 PM
It's ok. Just check out Onitsuka Chihiro's "Infection" and we'll be even. ;D

Done, thanks to the magic of the internet. She's good.

Amotis
2006-05-25, 10:37 PM
Indeed. But than again, I found her to be a one hit wonder. ::)

PhoeKun
2006-05-25, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't know, I only found the one song.

Amotis
2006-05-25, 10:43 PM
I think that's for the best. Unless you really like J-Pop.

Kedrot
2006-05-26, 10:45 PM
It's pretty good, I'm listening to some as... well i was, Now I'm listening to Three days grace... ah well it's all good