PDA

View Full Version : need help.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-10, 03:13 PM
I'm trying to access the site for my local library and this error message keeps popping up.

ugh. sorry. I have the image of it on my comp but I can't figure out how to post it. and I didn't meant o submit until I found out but it happened anyway.

thubby
2009-08-10, 03:14 PM
which error, they usually have a code.

when in doubt, try a proxy.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-10, 03:17 PM
okay now I can't even copy and paste and I can't get on any other website. also I don't know much about computers so I don't know how to do a proxy.:smallfrown:

oh and I'm on Ubuntu 8.10 if that affects what a proxy is at all.

thubby
2009-08-10, 03:39 PM
so you can only get on gitpg?:smallconfused:

theres no know how in using a proxy, just google "proxy", any of the top results will take you to a site, put the url in the box and hit enter

if that doesn't work, i would reset your modem. many have a button for just such occasions but if there isn't one, simply unplugging it for a short time does the same thing.

try turning off any security you may have and try getting on a very safe site.

if none of that works contact your internet provider.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-10, 04:14 PM
actually were I to open a new browser I could only get on my homepage. I was on Gitp when the error occurred. as long as the page is open I can do any search or anything on it but if it isn't I can't navigate to it. and my homepage is youtube not google so I can't get on google unfortunately.

Erloas
2009-08-10, 04:27 PM
Sounds like a DNS error to me. DNS being the computer that changes those convenient names we use like www.google.com to and www.giantitp.com into something a computer can use like 167.23.200.6

So the computer can't look up new sites because the service that translates those site names to numbers isn't working, but sites you have already visited and the computer already has the number for will still work.

If that is the case its pretty much just an ISP thing and there isn't a whole lot you can do. It usually doesn't take them too long to fix those sorts of things though.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-10, 04:40 PM
yeah. it's working again. sorry to waste your guy's time.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-10, 05:14 PM
If you get the help you need it's never a waste of time.