PDA

View Full Version : Larping(?)

fetfet
2009-08-10, 04:18 PM
I'm thinking of running a LARP. I have several problems.

1. I can't find people to play with. I've found my cousin, and that's it. How should I advertise the LARP?

2. I'd like to run a Scion: Hero game. If you don't know(it's not the most common game), it involves children of gods fighting monsters. It'd be hard to do the monsters, but theoretically, one could use a rival group of Scions.

3. How are things like rolls and such handled in LARPs?

4. I'm a fairly young person(14) and I think that older people would frown on having a kid run a LARP.

So yeah. If I can get any help with this, much obliged.

Gnaeus
2009-08-10, 04:28 PM
I'm thinking of running a LARP. I have several problems.

1. I can't find people to play with. I've found my cousin, and that's it. How should I advertise the LARP?

Local gaming groups (college campuses etc.) Gaming stores. If there other LARPS running, ask them if they will pass the word.

2. I'd like to run a Scion: Hero game. If you don't know(it's not the most common game), it involves children of gods fighting monsters. It'd be hard to do the monsters, but theoretically, one could use a rival group of Scions.

3. How are things like rolls and such handled in LARPs?

There are a number of different larp systems. I have seen LARPers sit down on the floor and pull out their d10s to make rolls. Drawing playing cards, playing rock paper scissors, having a narrator come over, look at character sheets, and announcing who wins are all larp methods I have seen. There are lots of other systems.

4. I'm a fairly young person(14) and I think that older people would frown on having a kid run a LARP.

That may well be. Most larps I have seen have minimum ages, or at least an older fan base. I would try very hard to find an older player to assist you. If you can, put that player in charge of the reality based part of the game (Player A is having a nervous breakdown, Player B is drunk, Player C is having a good time waving around his battle axe, Player D is climbing on the roof some passerby just called the police, that kind of thing). People do stupid stuff when they put on a costume and larp.

YPU
2009-08-10, 04:32 PM
First of, larp is supposed to be discussed in the “other” section of the rpg board, as can be read under that. But no worries, a mod will probably move this soon enough.

Secondly, I would strongly recommend that you at least join a few larps first. Some things go differently in real live then they go on paper and having at least a few events of actual experience would be by far your most useful tool.

Narmoth
2009-08-10, 04:54 PM
I'll second the one about playing a few larps before arranging them.
Especially since it's by playing larps that you get to know the people that then will attend on your larp.
And yeah, there might not be any group close to you. I'm in that situation. I need at least a 2 hour plane ride to get to a larp. Still, I've larped now 3 times, and I love it

fetfet
2009-08-10, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the advice. Sorry about the wrong forum, I should have checked.

And I've been in a LARP before, and enjoyed it, but it was a rather haphazard and informal setting(no dice, rowdy participants, etc).

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Berserk Monk
2009-08-10, 04:57 PM
Dude, running a larp takes a crap load of cash. You got to buy costumes (even if they are crappy, the PCs should at least be able to identify what it is that's approaching/attacking them). You also need to have somewhere to play. Don't count on just using a park on some Saturday. I'm fairly certain the cops will tell you to stop due to complaints. All the larps I've been to where taking place at boy/girl scout camping areas that were being rented.

As for rolls, don't have rolls. Just have the players rely on their own accuracy with foam covered weapons, but include special skills they can call out to help them hit the enemy better.

Gnaeus
2009-08-10, 06:50 PM
Costuming is beneficial, but not required. You will need a place to play, and it is true that public places are not a good plan.

Foam covered weapon (Boffer) larps are a solution to how to resolve conflicts. I would hesitate to set one up without a lot of thought though. I know several people who have been injured in them at various times (not seriously, twisted ankles, falls, that kind of thing) and personal liability is probably not something you want to be dealing with.

fetfet
2009-08-10, 07:08 PM
Scoin is set in modern-times, so costumes are essentially covered.

And we'd be making our own weapons.

Umael
2009-08-11, 11:13 AM
LARPing... running around, playing make-believe for teenagers and adults.

(Yes, I've done LARP.)

Honestly, while LARPing works really well with large groups in parks, it doesn't have to be. You don't need boffer weapons or costumes either. LARPing differs from table-top RPGing in that instead of people sitting around rolling dice and describing what they are doing, you have people miming their actions and talking in-character instead of saying, "My characters says,...".

If you can find a copy of Laws of the Night (LARPing for the Vampire: the Masquerade setting) or any of the other ones in the series (Laws of the Wild, The Shining Host, etc.), I would at least pick it up and thumb through it. Pay attention to the part about the real life rules. It's been too long for me to recall them, but there are only six rules, saying things like "No weapons" and "No touching" and "No running", but more importantly, it explains WHY you shouldn't have weapons or be running around. Although you CAN do a LARP that involves hitting people with boffer weapons (I've done it), you should be aware about what that involves and why and even whether it is a good idea. You might find that including actually doing combat will cost your game players - or it might be a core part of the fun that gains your game players.

valadil
2009-08-11, 11:47 AM
Play in a few LARPs before you try running one. They're a lot of work. I've been involved in running a couple one shot games and can tell you it's a pretty serious commitment. Not only will playing give you some experience, it will also introduce you to players.

Most of my LARPing was done through college. There was also a LARPing con (http://www.interactiveliterature.org/I/) if you're in the greater boston area or willing to travel. I've definitely seen younger players at both, but be warned that there are some 18+ games out there.