PDA

View Full Version : Trumpet players

BandGeek
2006-05-18, 09:08 PM
hey fellow trumpet players i've been searching google for ever for hawaii five-0 sheet music can you link a site to me that has it for free.

Amotis
2006-05-18, 09:09 PM
Hey band geek. Join the...two of us here?
And no, I don't know.

Lilly
2006-05-18, 09:24 PM
There's more than two of us here!

But I'm just a lowly unworthy woodwind, so my google-foo is useless.

hobbes543
2006-05-18, 09:26 PM
I played trumpet in my high school jazz band. Sheet music is over rated. Its all about the improv.

Barrin
2006-05-18, 09:38 PM
Improv is likewise overrated. Music itself is overrated - except the creation of it.

Yay trumpets! And french horns, if there are any more of us. *sigh*

TinSoldier
2006-05-18, 09:50 PM
I played the baritone many eons ago. It had the same fingerings as the coronet and the trumpet.

Mick_the_Rogue
2006-05-18, 09:52 PM
I played the trumpet long long ago (and quite possibly in a galaxy far far away) but as of late have been playing baritone and trombone, and likewise my google-foo is rather pitiful

Baerdog7
2006-05-18, 10:39 PM
<---- Saxophone player here (alto, tenor, and soprano). I am pleased, yet not suprised at the presence of other band geeks on these forums. Sheet music is a pain in the butt to find on the internet, trust me; i've tried looking for sax stuff on many occasions. If you do find what you're looking for, I commend you. However, I would probably reccommend raiding your band director's stand tune cabinet for Hawaii Five-O. Marching bands tend to play things like that for stand tunes. Alternatively, you can check your local music store for sheet music. You could probably find the Hawaii Five-O theme in a book with other TV show themes.

Just my 2cp.

-Baerdog7

Jacklu
2006-05-18, 10:45 PM
Trumpets unite!!!

B0nd07
2006-05-18, 11:06 PM
w00t! Go brass section, but mostly trumpets! (I am a fellow trumpeteer, too)

Shadow_of_Light
2006-05-19, 12:04 AM
Beware the power of the FLUTE!

(especially the high register)

LordOfNarf
2006-05-19, 12:11 AM

Its the piccolo you've got to worry about, or, your crystal does at least.

Lilly
2006-05-19, 12:46 AM

I have very odd hearing in my right ear because of this. Or well my expirements with piccolo.

blackfox
2006-05-19, 08:21 AM
But I'm just a lowly unworthy woodwind, so my google-foo is useless. *cries*
I play clarinet, alto saxophone, and flute. I won't start on the trumpet jokes the flutes in my school make. But still, like everyone else says, it's really hard to find sheet music online. Your trumpet teacher (if you take lessons) or your band director is probably the best resource for finding music for you.

Azrael
2006-05-19, 03:39 PM
Trust me Blackfox, the trumpeters are laughing just as hard at the flute players. I know I was (still am).

Interesting however that in my experience (fairly broad) that trumpeter & flutists always seem to end up dating. Perhaps it's the witty banter that borders so closely on sexual tension.

Or maybe its me.

And for the record, I've never met more inscestous groups than musicians and thespains. Both groups are simply horny. ;)

PolskaWaldhorn
2006-05-19, 03:57 PM
Yay trumpets! And french horns, if there are any more of us. *sigh*

Woooo! There's another horn player!

...and this is my first post...goes to show where my priorities lie...i suppose i should make this official and go introduce myself in the new member thread. See ya around!

WampaX
2006-05-19, 03:58 PM
French Horn player here. (mellophone in marching band)

Elementary school band said pick an instrument, so I picked the most interesting looking one. Even made it through 2 years in college until my class schedules couldn't accomidate it anymore. Stupid quarter->semester conversion.

I still have it, though.

storybookknight
2006-05-19, 04:08 PM
Trumpeter here; at least I was for a while.

Then I was seduced to the dark side, by which I mean chorus. Trumpet lungs + Naturally loud voice meant I was able to drown out a 100-person choir by myself one time...

Grey Watcher
2006-05-19, 05:12 PM
I'm a singer.

Luckily, none of you can throw your instruments at me in retaliation for everything singers have done to you over the years. ;D ;D ;D ;D

EDIT: Oh, I'm even worse than a chorister. I'm a tenor soloist.

I'd better hide now.

BandGeek
2006-05-19, 05:21 PM
so i guess no one has the sheet music to hawaii five-0 for trumpet

Amotis
2006-05-19, 07:26 PM
No, ask your teacher. He should have it considering it's very pep band-y.
But we're glad to point out instruments.

Saxaphones. ;D

Amotis
2006-05-19, 07:27 PM
And for the record, I've never met more inscestous groups than musicians and thespains. Both groups are simply horny. ;)

I agree. No idea why. ::)

Miles Invictus
2006-05-20, 12:29 AM
I played the trumpet in high school -- the darn thing is rusting in the basement right now. I haven't touched the thing in years, though, which is kind of a shame.

I think we played Hawaii 5-0 in pep band, but I'm pretty sure I turned in my sheet music the year I graduated. :(

Amotis
2006-05-20, 01:37 AM
I played the trumpet in high school -- the darn thing is rusting in the basement right now. I haven't touched the thing in years, though, which is kind of a shame.

I think we played Hawaii 5-0 in pep band, but I'm pretty sure I turned in my sheet music the year I graduated. :(

They made you turn in sheet music. I would of bitten someone if they tried to take away my bach chorals.

Godhand
2006-05-20, 02:40 AM
Clarinet/Percussion/Piano player for Band/Orch/Jazz respectivly. High School was indeed a musical time.

For the whole band/thespians bit. I was both an actor and a musician. Good god that explains alot...

But I'm better now. I think ::)

Dr._Weird
2006-05-20, 12:33 PM
French Horns unite! All 4 of us!

hobbes543
2006-05-20, 01:52 PM
I am pleased, yet not suprised at the presence of other band geeks on these forums.

-Baerdog7

In my school, the Jazz band wasn't made of band geeks. We were a competition band, only finished worse than first in a local competition once and that was a second place finish while I was there, and also did private gigs on the side as an independant group. Thus when the school administration said a couple seniors who skipped school couldn't play at a gig that was a school sposored event, we showed up any way. Yeah, we all got a mouthfull from the assistant principal the next day.

Barrin
2006-05-20, 02:28 PM
Yay! More trumpet AND french horn players.

And an icky mellophone player. I HATE mellophone! It's a mix between the two, and yet it's so different and awkward.

Blech.

Yeah - I don't play mellophone. I play trumpet in the marching band and the jazz band (first chair! WooT), and french horn (also first chair! WooT again!) in symphonic. I don't play in an orchestra because all stringed instruments give me a headache - and when there are 300 of them it's ridiculous (but when there are only two, like in Jazz, I'm mostly fine).

blackfox
2006-05-20, 04:48 PM
Interesting however that in my experience (fairly broad) that trumpeter & flutists always seem to end up dating. Perhaps it's the witty banter that borders so closely on sexual tension. Funny how that works, huh? That's... *counts on fingers* at least 5 couples at my school...

Amotis
2006-05-20, 04:50 PM
Hmm, for us...
Woodwinds seem to stick together.
Percussionist seem to stick together.
And brass miggle throughout the band.

*shrug*

Shadow_of_Light
2006-05-21, 12:03 AM
What's a mellophone? I've never heard of them!

Amotis
2006-05-21, 12:59 AM
Marching French Horn, basically.

blackfox
2006-05-21, 10:19 AM
Some of the trombone players at my school use them for marching as well. (However, that could just be my school, with my school's wierd trombone players...)

Jinks
2006-05-21, 12:20 PM
Whatever happened to Orchestra geeks? I play the sax(alto only so far), and the violin! Or does the term "Band Geek" include the strings players? My school band has mostly trumpets, with a hanful of clarinets and a couple alto saxes. We have 3 flutes, 2 trombones, a tuba and a tenor sax.

But the funniest band experience I have was in elementary school, before I joined the band. There were some 14 percussionists and 10-max other band members.

You could try and get piano music for it, and transpose(unless trumpets are in the same key?) it.

Amotis
2006-05-21, 12:43 PM
Whatever happened to Orchestra geeks? I play the sax(alto only so far), and the violin! Or does the term "Band Geek" include the strings players? My school band has mostly trumpets, with a hanful of clarinets and a couple alto saxes. We have 3 flutes, 2 trombones, a tuba and a tenor sax.

But the funniest band experience I have was in elementary school, before I joined the band. There were some 14 percussionists and 10-max other band members.

You could try and get piano music for it, and transpose(unless trumpets are in the same key?) it.

Sax and string? Weird combo. The local orchestra said no to any saxs.

Baerdog7
2006-05-21, 02:15 PM
Yeah, my school's orchestra doesn't use saxes either. It's a pity, though, how underused the saxophone is in professional symphony orchestras. A pity...

-Baerdog7

cuibono_219
2006-05-21, 05:25 PM
Any clarinetists? ;D

Jack Squat
2006-05-21, 05:29 PM
Yeah, my school's orchestra doesn't use saxes either. It's a pity, though, how underused the saxophone is in professional symphony orchestras. A pity...

-Baerdog7

It's because a sax is a modern creation, and most orchestral music is from the 1600s-1800s.

The sax has made up for it though, being the most used wind instrument (besides maybe the harmonica) in rock.

Baerdog7
2006-05-21, 06:55 PM
It's because a sax is a modern creation, and most orchestral music is from the 1600s-1800s.

The sax has made up for it though, being the most used wind instrument (besides maybe the harmonica) in rock.

Well, yes. I can fully reconcile not using the sax in music that was written before it's creation. My beef is more with symphony orchestras that play more contemporary music and soundtracks and don't utilize the saxophone. Of course, the real issue here is not so much with the conductor saying "No saxes" as the composers deciding not to write for saxes. For some reasong, the incredible versatility of the saxophone seems to confound a lot of orchestral composers. Maybe their intimidated by an instrument that can deliver the flowing melodies of a woodwind and the powerful fanfares of a brass instrument and so they leave the compostion of saxophone music to the jazz people (not that there's anything wrong with jazz, it's just not the end all be all for the saxophone)

-Baerdog7

Shadow_of_Light
2006-05-21, 07:35 PM
Marching French Horn, basically.

Hmm. Thanks. :)

Amotis
2006-05-21, 10:21 PM
Well, yes. I can fully reconcile not using the sax in music that was written before it's creation. My beef is more with symphony orchestras that play more contemporary music and soundtracks and don't utilize the saxophone. Of course, the real issue here is not so much with the conductor saying "No saxes" as the composers deciding not to write for saxes. For some reasong, the incredible versatility of the saxophone seems to confound a lot of orchestral composers. Maybe their intimidated by an instrument that can deliver the flowing melodies of a woodwind and the powerful fanfares of a brass instrument and so they leave the compostion of saxophone music to the jazz people (not that there's anything wrong with jazz, it's just not the end all be all for the saxophone)

-Baerdog7

I think it's simply because the timber of the sax doesn't fit into the classical sound. And when it does it's suppost to sound like a french horn or be so good, so pure in tone (read: desmond) that it doesn't even sound like a sax. I'm perfectly content to leaving the sax to jazz. We're just that cool.

Baerdog7
2006-05-22, 12:00 AM
You know, Amotis, you're probably right. That doesn't mean I can't go on hoping though... ;)

-Baerdog7

Amotis
2006-05-22, 12:13 AM
I always will. I love classical music to death. And I play alto sax the best (read: okay).
Oh well, I've always wanted to pick up cello. There's alway that one more reason. ;)

iamkoolerthanu
2006-05-22, 12:21 AM
Ummm, what are we talking about again?

Amotis
2006-05-22, 12:23 AM
Ummm, what are we talking about again?
Bandos.

Baerdog7
2006-05-22, 12:50 AM
I always will. I love classical music to death. And I play alto sax the best (read: okay).
Oh well, I've always wanted to pick up cello. There's alway that one more reason. ;)

I played alto through middle school and freshman year. Sophomore year I marched tenor and played alto in concert season. This year I did tenor in marching and concert seasons and, I must say, I really prefer the tenor to the alto. For some reason its just...easier for me to play.

-Baerdog7

Amotis
2006-05-22, 12:56 AM
I picked up tenor a few years ago solely because of **** Parry. The man is awesome.

But I prefer alto because I like it. Best tone, best range. Yup.

Kord
2006-05-22, 01:05 AM
WOOT! I SALUTE YOU FELLOW BANDOS!

Wow, I'm truly a geek. I'm a gamer and a bando...I need a more exciting social life.

uranium194
2006-05-22, 03:55 PM
i got this thread 8). 16 years playing trumpet and life member of the Band Fraternity (Kappa Kappa Psi (http://www.kkpsi.org))

WampaX
2006-05-22, 04:16 PM
What's a mellophone? I've never heard of them!

Looks like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellophone).

I used an adaptor so I could play with my horn mouthpiece instead of the much larger mellophone one.

uranium194
2006-05-22, 04:20 PM
Looks like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellophone).

I used an adaptor so I could play with my horn mouthpiece instead of the much larger mellophone one.

Its basically a French horn (Key of F) but uses B flat fingerings. So you'll usually get a mixture of Trumpet players and French Horm players playing this instrument. I play trumpet as my main instrument, but in Pep band our director wanted a more robust non clean, classical, nice FH sound so you stick a trumpet player on a mellophone you get a french horn that plays in the upper register :-D

Xanadu
2006-05-26, 06:38 PM
I'll throw my hand in as the first Tuba player to post in this thread. Go Tuba!

I also play Bass. . . some guitar and drums. . . I'm a wannabe Sax player (Who else thinks the Soprano sax looks cool?). . . and I guess I play some piano as well.

In a years time, the plan is to go to university and get a degree in Music Education, So I'll play a lot more by the end of that!

Baerdog7
2006-05-27, 03:52 AM
I'm a wannabe Sax player (Who else thinks the Soprano sax looks cool?)

*raises hand* I do! I also really like the sound, and can't understand why so many other people don't like the instrument. Just because Kenny G plays soprano doesn't make it a bad instrument. Meh, oh well. Ooo! On a different tangent: I made saxophone section leader for this coming marching season, w00t!

-Baer, Lord of the Panthercorns