PDA

View Full Version : Avatar: Saga Edition || Playtest by Post Thread 2

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 04:59 PM
http://www.theanteheroes.com/RoadWithBridge.jpg

Map with current locations.

Scenario: Shoji and Dance are both chasing after 'Princess', one of the few remaining airbenders, and her guard. Their precise motivation behind wanting to meet her is up to the individual players; however, Dance and Shoji clearly see each other as threats (soldiers of opposite nations) and Princess sees both of them as threats. Her guard, Meat, is probably not important on a political scale.

Roland Ishative!
Meatshield: [roll0]
Buttercup: [roll1]
Dance: [roll2]
Shoji: [roll3]

Remember that the primary objective of this playtest is to test game elements. While talking the other parties down is fine, try to keep all 'alternative solutions' to a fight mechanically based.

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 05:01 PM
Dang it, Initiative! Work!

Meatshield: [roll0]
Buttercup: [roll1]
Dance: [roll2]
Shoji: [roll3]

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-10, 06:42 PM
((OOC: This is posted now to speed things up a bit. Unless the action is obviously invalidated, Shoji won't change his mind. Princess and Meatshield can act in a single post))

Shoji, noticing some sort of commotion on the other side, assumes that his cover as a traveling minstrel has been blown. He throws his voice (and his flute) over to the canyon, saying, "Down here, airbender!" while dashing into the bushes.

Standard action to get Fool's Luck on skill, -1 Spirit Point
Deception check to distract people and make a Stealth check: [roll0]
Free to bend Rush
Move action to A4, slowing down once I get the cover of the bushes
Swift action to activate Serenity, -1 Spirit Point
Stealth once in the bushes: [roll1]
Shoji may use Knack or Serenity

Final Draft (b/c refraction changed)

Shoji, Medium Fire Nation Scoundrel 3/Soldier 4/Sifu 4
Spirit Points: 4 (now 2)
Initiative +7
Senses: Perception +6
──────────────────────────────────
Defenses: Reflex 27 (flat-footed 24), Fortitude 26, Will 25
Hit Points: 81 (Threshold 26)
Speed: 6 squares
Melee: Unarmed Strike +11 (1d6+5 fire)
Melee: Quick Weapon +13 (1d4+5 fire)
Ranged: Quick Weapon +15 (1d4+7)
Ranged: Crossbow +13 (2d6+5)
BAB/Grapple/Bend: +10/+12/+14
Special Actions: Serenity (natural 12)
Bending Suite: Move Element x2, Cold Fire x4, Refraction, Rush x2
Rhetorical Suite: Spirit Crusher x4, Puppet Master x4, Command
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 16
Special Qualities: Military Education, Rise Like the Sun
Talents: Knack, Fool's Luck, Indomitable, Deflect Attack, Lightning Mind, Wholeness of Body
Feats: Quick Draw, Point Blank Shot, Spiritual, Martial Arts I, Spiritual Training x3, Rhetorical Training x3
Skills: Acrobatics +12, Athletics +10, Attunement +11, Deception +13, Persuasion +13, Stealth +12
Possessions: 8 Simple Quick Weapons (hidden), Crossbow, Bolts

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-10, 06:43 PM
Rerolling that Stealth check using Knack...[roll0]
EDIT: And using Serenity to make that stealth check into a 29... >_<

AgentPaper
2009-08-10, 09:18 PM
Erm, which dot am I? Red or green? Kinda important. :smalltongue:

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 09:38 PM
Erm, which dot am I? Red or green? Kinda important. :smalltongue:

D'oh, my bad.

Red = Fire Nation
Green = Earth Kingdom
Orange = Air Nomad
Blue = Water Tribe

Circle = PC
Square = NPC

So you are Green Circle, Foryn is Red Circle, Lert is Orange Circle.

AgentPaper
2009-08-10, 10:13 PM
Right, thanks.

Dance (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=145337)

Dance moves up to 11Z, orders Princess Buttercup not to resist, and looses her Sheng Biao at Meat.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

AgentPaper
2009-08-10, 10:15 PM
Argh, darn 60 seconds between posts screwed up my rolls.

Edit: Woot! nice rolls. Remember that damage threshold and damage reduction are treated as 5 less. Not that I think meat has the latter, and not that I understand the former. :smalltongue:

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 10:23 PM
Going to keep the OoC in here. Map updated, Meat takes 14 damage.

The chubby guardsman clutches the side of his face as the projectile whizzes past, slicing open his cheek with a stinging slash.

Buttercup's Turn!

Lert, A.
2009-08-10, 10:39 PM
Buttercup looks at Meatshield. "They think I'm a WHAT?!"

Two opponents appear, one to either side. No way to escape. Though one of them is already running for the bushes. The other strikes Meatshield with a heavy hit. Meat steps forward, draws back the strings upon his greatbow and returns fire against this obvious hostile. Deciding that behind Meat was a safer place than not, Buttercup follows.

Attack just barely misses damage threshold. Down to 18 hp.

Meatshield
Move:w10
Attack roll:[roll0] (No, I don't expect to actually hit.)
If hits (yeah, right), damage:[roll1]

Buttercup
Move: v9
Standard action: Fool's Luck to skills(-1 SP)

Lert, A.
2009-08-10, 10:41 PM
"I actually hit!" Meatshield is ecstatic.

End turn.

Lert, A.
2009-08-10, 10:48 PM
oops
Perception checks.

Buttercup[roll0]
Meatshield[roll1]

Now end turn.

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 10:49 PM
11 damage to Dance. Map updated, Shoji's turn goes off proper, so...

Dance's Turn.

AgentPaper
2009-08-10, 10:56 PM
Natural 20 is an automatic hit. It's also apparently a critical hit, even though 29 is nowhere near enough to hit me. Or are we using a more 4E style critical hit system? (where the auto-hit needs to have been able to hit anyways to be considered a critical)

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 11:02 PM
My bad; I just forgot to double the damage after all of my tab hopping. yes, it is double damage - there's no critical threat confirmation here.

Lert, A.
2009-08-10, 11:04 PM
You have hp to spare.

Also, a very quick check of your character sheet says Ref 27, which I believe is less than 29. Unless I'm missing something.

AgentPaper
2009-08-10, 11:04 PM

Ignoring meat despite his lucky hit, and seeing that Princess Buttercup doesn't have any intention of giving herself up, Dance once again lashes out with the Sheng-Biao, this time taking careful aim.

Swift: Aim
Move: Aim
Standard: Attack

Attack: Moved
Damage: Moved
Grapple: Moved

Edit: I must not have saved my sheet recently. It's supposed to be 34.

Edit: Also, I thought [rolld] would show the result of the die roll itself as well as the total, but I seem to have been wrong. :smallannoyed:

AgentPaper
2009-08-10, 11:08 PM
Grapple: [roll2]

Princess Buttercup will have to roll an opposed grapple. If she fails to beat, she is pinned, can't take any actions, and loses dex bonus to reflex until the start of my next turn. (Yes, this is what pinning throw actually does)

Aaaand...once again, good attack roll, and everything else sucks. Ah, but so it life. :smalltongue:

Lert, A.
2009-08-10, 11:20 PM
Grapple check:adding a Spirit point1d20+2d6b1+8

Lert, A.
2009-08-10, 11:22 PM
Try again.

Grapple check:adding a Spirit point[roll0] + [roll1]

Lert, A.
2009-08-10, 11:27 PM
Yay!

Buttercup attempt to command the throwy maniac-type person.

vs will:[roll0]

Lert, A.
2009-08-10, 11:28 PM
Don't know if that hit since the char-sheet is different.

Also: at 45hp.

AgentPaper
2009-08-10, 11:34 PM
If you click on the link in each of my posts it should show a will of 25. (so a miss)

Lert, A.
2009-08-10, 11:38 PM
Ah. In that case, unless Shoji is able to stop it somehow, Meatshields actions will be to pick up the princess and leap into the river below, though he is certain to die from drowning.

Will continue to post in main thread, give review, etc.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-11, 07:08 AM
((OOC: I'm pretty sure that might kill Buttercup, too, depending on how far the drop is; so Shoji's not about to let that happen. Rhetorical techniques have no range limit...))

Shoji hollers out to the fray, "Hey, bodyguard, tackle the thrower and your princess might get away. Knives can't fly straight for more than a dozen yards."

Using Command against Meatshield to grab Shoji. [roll0]

AstralFire
2009-08-11, 09:18 AM
As far as I can tell, no one has moved, so map is not updated yet.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-11, 10:41 AM
((OOC: Since I'm controlling Meatshield, I might as well post for him...))

Meatshield runs forth without thinking and tries to latch on to Dance, but fails.

Move to Y10
Grab Dance. Attack [roll0]. That's unsuccessful, but I've wasted Meatshield's turn.

AstralFire
2009-08-11, 01:20 PM
Map Updated.

Dance's Turn.

AgentPaper
2009-08-11, 04:33 PM

Dance takes aim and again attempts to pin Buttercup.

Swift: Aim
Move: Aim
Standard: Attack

Grapple: [roll2]

Just in case I got the syntax wrong again:
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Edit: Aaand-holy crap awesome rollings.

Lert, A.
2009-08-11, 08:29 PM
Buttercup cries.

For a full round. (Not even going to try to resist those rolls)

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-12, 07:27 AM
Shoji, convinced by now that he does not want this air nomad in the hands of the Earth Kingdom, decides to redefine his mission objectives. He runs forward to the edge of the cliff and unleashes a large blast of fire, which breaks against the side of the bridge as a wave might break against the shore.

Activate Rush, if necessary.
Move 10 squares to J7
Activate Move Element, creating a Large fire in U9 (12 squares away). Because it's large, it takes up enough space to hit Buttercup. :) This might be cheating, though.
If that does work, attack: [roll0]
damage to Buttercup: [roll1]
damage to the bridge: [roll2]

AstralFire
2009-08-12, 08:48 AM
Map updated, Meatshield's turn again. Buttercup is able to twist away from the exploding fire, but the bridge has now ignited nearby...

Meat's Turn.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-12, 10:35 AM
((OOC: I seem to have forgotten that I don't actually have the Ignite talent anymore. >_< I'll remove Shoji's Deflect Attack to replace it, since that talent hasn't been used. Here's the updated sheet))

Spirit Points: 2
Initiative +12
Senses: Perception +11
Condition Track: -0
Special Actions: Serenity (Fear Immunity)
Bending Suite: Cold Fire x4, Rush (33%)
Rhetorical Suite: Spirit Crusher x4, Puppet Master x4
Talents: Indomitable, Ignite, Lightning Mind, Wholeness of Body
Feats: Quick Draw, Point Blank Shot, Spiritual, Martial Arts I, Spiritual Training x3, Rhetorical Training x3
Skills: Acrobatics +17, Athletics +15, Attunement +16, Deception +18, Persuasion +18, Stealth +17

Lert, A.
2009-08-12, 09:41 PM
Meatshield returns to w10.
Standard attack to suppress Dance with his bow: [roll0] (autohit unless it's a 1).

Lert, A.
2009-08-12, 09:42 PM
Try again: [roll0]

End turn.

AstralFire
2009-08-13, 03:26 PM
Map updated, my apologies. I wanted to continue cranking out those numbers in that thread before I did anything else. Suppress? I'm not too familiar with minions.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-13, 05:29 PM
Suppress is a function of the Aid Another action - like suppressive fire, except now in melee. Saga Edition Core Rulebook page 151, bottom of the left column.

AstralFire
2009-08-14, 02:09 PM
Waiting on Dance.

AgentPaper
2009-08-14, 04:39 PM

Dance prepares to throw one more time, but before doing so demands that Princess Buttercup surrender herself. If she does not, Dance will be forced to attack and risk killing her, which neither of them want to happen.

Persuasion: [roll0]

Lert, A.
2009-08-14, 05:40 PM
Buttercup glares defiantly at this merciless attacker. She then calls upon the other one, tho one who would spare her life though it be for an unknown purpose. "You have the strength to stop this man," she claims. "Do so, and I will go with you willingly, you who I know not to be cruel. My bodyguard shall assist you. The power of two strong men should be suffieciant to stop this, this... bully!"

Full round Deception check on Meatshield and Shoji, using False Bravado.

vs Will:[roll0] to give them a +4 to attacks.

Though it woul be a GM decision I believe that this would be worthy of a favorable +5 modifier to Deception check as well (works in target's favor or matches target's expectations).

End Turn.

AstralFire
2009-08-14, 07:37 PM
Works for me, though it was hardly necessary. Nice usage. It is now Shoji's turn.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-15, 08:39 AM
((OOC: Are you sure you didn't mean Meatshield and Dance? -2 condition track on the next hit doesn't hurt me too much, because of Indomitable and Wholeness of Body. On the other hand, +4 attack will hurt significantly.))

Shoji gathers his breath for another assault. As he lets the fireball go, he hollers, "Looks like you've won this round, woman." He then scampers into the bushes again.

Standard: Same maneuver as last time, using Move Element to conjure a massive ball of fire. Attack:[roll0] ((If you actually used False Bravado on Shoji, that hits. If not, it misses.))
Damage to Buttercup (on hit): [roll1]
Damage to Bridge (on miss): [roll2]
Move: Flee 6 squares into the underbrush
Swift: 1 action to regain focus for Rush

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-15, 08:49 AM
((OOC: Because I forgot to give Shoji a talent from Spiritual, he has Deflect Attack again in addition to Ignite. Sorry for that rules hiccup. This is the newest version, with expended abilities deleted.))

Spirit Points: 2
Initiative +12
Senses: Perception +11
Condition Track: -0
Special Actions: Serenity (Fear Immunity)
Bending Suite: Cold Fire x4, Rush (33%)
Rhetorical Suite: Spirit Crusher x4, Puppet Master x4
Talents: Indomitable, Deflect Attack, Lightning Mind, Wholeness of Body
Skills: Acrobatics +17, Athletics +15, Attunement +16, Deception +18, Persuasion +18, Stealth +17

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-15, 08:53 AM
Also, Princess ended her turn in the Ignited square and thus took [roll0] fire damage.

AstralFire
2009-08-15, 09:24 AM
Map updated, awaiting confirmation/clarification from Lert.

Lert, A.
2009-08-15, 05:45 PM
The princess is lit on fire, her screams and the smell of scorching flesh filling the air. The screams die sharply along with the frail royal.

Meatshield looks to the murderous coward and cries out "Why?! She wanted to help you! You murdered her!" He scoops up the charred corpse, tattered remnants of clothing still burning. "Well, you will not have the body to satisfy your lust for death and filthy lucre!" With that he leaps off the bridge, taking his lady along with himself.

The bodies do not rise. All that remains of the princess is her frilly hat, burned through and now smoldering lightly, the smoke rising as gently as the laughter of the woman who once wore it.

Yes, it was correct, though it was supposed to turn you against your mortal enemy who was trying to steal your prize. Instead you killed the princess. Way to go. Your superiors will be so pleased with you.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-17, 12:22 PM
((OOC:
I'm not quite sure why you would assume Shoji needed you alive after he already sent a blast of fire against you once, but ok. There have been enough changes since the playtest started that this is fairly obsolete, although it has served its purpose. Should we try and see how Dance takes vengeance out on Shohi, or no?))