PDA

View Full Version : World Ideas

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-10, 06:00 PM
So, I was doodling some maps today. I like to try to keep my hand in at this because I'm pretty poor at drawing. Anyway, I ended up with a refined map I like the look of, but there's a space in the middle I'm stumped with. If I remove it the continent looks pretty stupid and unrealistic, but I don't want to just put in another generic kingdom.

There's space for three or four nations there. The geography means that one will be rocky and coastal, one will be landlocked and mountainous and the final one will have a significant number of rivers flowing through it. If there were to be a fourth it would be another mountain kingdom. The common themes in the world I've created so far are dualism, decay and elemental forces.

What would the playgrounders ideas be for making these countires exciting and unique?

Umael
2009-08-10, 06:13 PM
Any chance you could scan your drawing and post it?

(I tend to be visual, that's all.)

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-10, 06:18 PM
Any chance you could scan your drawing and post it?

(I tend to be visual, that's all.)

I'm afraid not, I don't have a scanner.

HamHam
2009-08-10, 06:25 PM
Rivers would suggest good farmland and/or trade.

Not exactly original, but dwarves always work in mountains.

As for the coast, how about those Orca-people from Stormwrack? Those guys are kinda cool.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-10, 06:27 PM
Forgive me; this is going to be more of a brainstorming than eloquent, complete ideas. Feel free to pick out any useful bits and ignore the rest.

First one: Piratey! :smalltongue: The bounty of the sea (fishes or stolen goods) as compared with the barrenness of the land (poor soil for farming). Possibly air-centric rather than water-centric; air is vital for sailing, after all, and is refreshing and liberating (not unlike taking other people's things).

Landlocked and mountainous: If you want to go traditional-ish, you'd make this earth/metal-y. Of course, water might be the vital element to them, since it's hard to come by. It's henced viewed as far more important and more sacred than mere rocks. A theocracy might work here; a water-centric god has figured out a way to really keep the attention of the populace, possibly through a monopoly on sources of fresh water.

The final one might be in conflict with the previous one over sources of water. Not sure too much about interesting fluff.

Have you decided upon system/races yet? If so, I may be able to help a bit more.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-10, 06:40 PM
Rivers would suggest good farmland and/or trade.

Not exactly original, but dwarves always work in mountains.

As for the coast, how about those Orca-people from Stormwrack? Those guys are kinda cool.

Are those the really big guys? That's a cool idea.

Dwarves in this setting aren't really going to have nations, just enormous, underground fortresses. They don't really operate as a race but instead in very tightly-knit but seperate communities. A few big dwarf settlements are in these mountains already, but on the other side of a volcanic chasm.

Forgive me; this is going to be more of a brainstorming than eloquent, complete ideas. Feel free to pick out any useful bits and ignore the rest.

First one: Piratey! :smalltongue: The bounty of the sea (fishes or stolen goods) as compared with the barrenness of the land (poor soil for farming). Possibly air-centric rather than water-centric; air is vital for sailing, after all, and is refreshing and liberating (not unlike taking other people's things).

On the other side of the continent I have a pirate-y area, a volcanic stretch of coastline & beaches. I'd like to avoid such a direct parallel. Something based on air and winds sounds good, though.

Landlocked and mountainous: If you want to go traditional-ish, you'd make this earth/metal-y. Of course, water might be the vital element to them, since it's hard to come by. It's henced viewed as far more important and more sacred than mere rocks. A theocracy might work here; a water-centric god has figured out a way to really keep the attention of the populace, possibly through a monopoly on sources of fresh water.

May as well make it a theocracy, and I see no issue with a water god holding the reins there.

The final one might be in conflict with the previous one over sources of water. Not sure too much about interesting fluff.

Have you decided upon system/races yet? If so, I may be able to help a bit more.

It's D&D for definite, the edition will depend upon my players. I'm trying to make it friendly for both 3.5e and 4e.

I like the idea of water as a source of conflict between the latter two nations, I would like them to be pretty uneasy with each other.