PDA

View Full Version : Nowhere to Go After School

Jalor
2009-08-10, 06:44 PM
I attend a magnet program at a school about an hour from where I live. This is not usually a problem, because my mother works in the area as well and can pick me up on the way home from work (I don't have a license). School now starts two hours earlier than it used to for me, and my mother doesn't have very flexible hours. The economic condition in America prevents her from quitting her job, and the school I am "zoned" for is a Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WretchedHive).

This leaves me two hours in a cool enough part of town, but absolutely nowhere to do the one thing I need to do; sitting down and finishing my homework. I'm getting home late enough already, so I'd rather not do the crap at home. Several seemingly obvious options are impossible:

-My mother cannot pick me up and take me back to work with her. She works for the church of a major religion, and many of the people there treat me like crap. They demand that I help staple papers and alphabetize bookshelves instead of doing my homework or reading. I can't refuse their requests, lest my mother be laid off in favor of someone who does not "burden" the office with some delinquent heathen. So that's out.

-There is, in fact, a Starbuck's; frequently the refuge of students who need somewhere to study. Unfortunately, one cannot sit there for two hours without buying something. I do not buy products from Starbucks due to moral/political reasons, so that is not an option. Also, they're way too expensive.

-The school library stays open after school - for about 15 minutes. Everything else gets locked not too long after except for the gym when sports teams are practicing. And the band room on rehearsal days, but I'm already in band.

So, I'm pretty much drawing a blank. In desperation, I throw my request into the internet void. Any ideas?

TL; DR: School ends earlier, my parents work, I have nowhere to go.

Recaiden
2009-08-10, 06:46 PM
Why can you not sit at Starbucks for 2 hours without buying anything?

THAC0
2009-08-10, 06:48 PM
No other coffee shops? No city library? Friends?

13_CBS
2009-08-10, 06:49 PM

Store policy, most likely. A lot of cafes and eateries don't like having people sitting around taking up space that "actual customers" could be using.

Edit: Are there any bookstores in the area?

Vaynor
2009-08-10, 06:49 PM

They tend to reserve their seats for those who pay to use them, I believe.

Player_Zero
2009-08-10, 06:50 PM
I assumed this was going to be about not having anything to do after education. To which I would've responded with some off-the-wall comment such as space travel or becoming a mime.

But still, you could become a mime and mime your way to success after school too.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-10, 06:53 PM
Why don't you go speak to the manager of the Starbuck's and explain your situation? It's possible they might be sympathetic. I won't say it's likely, but it's better than nothing.

Are there no (not school) libraries nearby?

Vmag
2009-08-10, 06:55 PM
I assumed this was going to be about not having anything to do after education.

Yeah I know, I was going to give my usual spiel about enlisting. A few years of a steady job with increasing pay, college paid for you, etc. etc. Unfortunately, this isn't the case.

Have you considered hanging out with your friends? I'm certain in all of your school you've got That One Friend (tvtropes.com) who either goes some place study-conducive or to his or her home. There's nothing wrong with Just Hanging Out (tvtropes.com) at his/her house till mom comes back from work. A nice place to do homework, a study buddy, and someone to play with when The Job is Done (tvtropes.com).

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-10, 06:57 PM
Yeah I know, I was going to give my usual spiel about enlisting. A few years of a steady job with increasing pay, college paid for you, etc. etc. Unfortunately, this isn't the case.

Have you considered hanging out with your friends? I'm certain in all of your school you've got That One Friend (tvtropes.com) who either goes some place study-conducive or to his or her home. There's nothing wrong with Just Hanging Out (tvtropes.com) at his/her house till mom comes back from work. A nice place to do homework, a study buddy, and someone to play with when The Job is Done (tvtropes.com).

Have people just started doing this because of the thread on the front page just now or has it always been this bad and I've never noticed?

13_CBS
2009-08-10, 06:58 PM

Are you trying to parody all the posts that link to tvtropes for humor and/or information? :smallconfused:

Jalor
2009-08-10, 06:59 PM
No other coffee shops? No city library? Friends?
The Starbucks kind of precludes other coffee shops. The Downtown Orlando Library is an awesome place, but way too far away for me to walk. Biking there is a possibility, but then I would have to put my bike in the trunk of the car or something, because school's too far to bike.

Again, a magnet school means my friends often live in the area, or just as far in the opposite direction. My neighborhood is full of snobs, most of whom send their kids to private schools instead of magnets at public schools. I used to carpool with a guy, but we had... a falling out.

I have applied for jobs at pretty much every business within walking distance, but the damn recession means adults with families get the job, not rich suburban kids.

Edit: Are there any bookstores in the area?Heh, I wish.

Thanks for reminding me of that; said friend does live close enough that it's not so out of the way. It's still a bit more intrusive then I'd like; my friend and his parents shouldn't have to deal with me hanging around for hours. His parents are the type who never refuse to help someone out, even when it's a serious burden for them. I'd feel like I'm taking advantage, but it's the best I've got right now.

Vmag
2009-08-10, 07:00 PM
Well I certainly wasn't trying to derail the thread. It would be nice if we could enjoy the topic at hand and not try to deconstruct (tvtropes.com) chosen posting styles.

We're internet affectionados, not Inside the Actors Studio (tvtropes.com).

My advice still stands. School friend, her place, after class.
So rereading, none of the friends you like go to your school and those who go to your school you don't find friendworthy? Sounds like your situation would improve immensely if you opened your heart to different breeds of people.

A little acceptance goes A Long Way (tvtropes.com).

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-10, 07:06 PM
Well I certainly wasn't trying to derail the thread. It would be nice if we could enjoy the topic at hand and not try to deconstruct (tvtropes.com) chosen posting styles.

We're internet affectionados, not Inside the Actors Studio (tvtropes.com).

My advice still stands. School friend, her place, after class.
So rereading, none of the friends you like go to your school and those who go to your school you don't find friendworthy? Sounds like your situation would improve immensely if you opened your heart to different breeds of people.

A little acceptance goes A Long Way (tvtropes.com).

Here (tvtropes.com) let (tvtropes.com) me (tvtropes.com) take (tvtropes.com) the (tvtropes.com) joke (tvtropes.com) to (tvtropes.com) its (tvtropes.com) logical (tvtropes.com) conclusion (tvtropes.com). (tvtropes.com) Ha (tvtropes.com) ha (tvtropes.com). (tvtropes.com)

The bike sounds like a good idea if it fits in the trunk, Jalor. I say asking around could still pay off, someone is bound to have some space they don't mind someone occupying.

Coidzor
2009-08-10, 07:07 PM
And it being downtown Orlando means there's no places you could just go and be outside and do your work either...

Is the cost really that big of an issue? As long as they're not too busy just buying one small thing should get you a nook.

I'm not quite following the whole thinking it's taking advantage of a friend if they're game for it. There'd still be days where it'd be a no-go anyway, so you couldn't rely solely upon them, but as an option from time to time it could be nice.

Jalor
2009-08-10, 07:08 PM
It's a little different, actually. My friends go to my school, but they still live far away. I actually just got a Facebook message from another friend who has the same problem.

There's just nobody in my neighborhood who'll send their precious heir to mingle with the commoners. It's quite frustrating.

13_CBS
2009-08-10, 07:09 PM
Is the cost really that big of an issue? As long as they're not too busy just buying one small thing should get you a nook.

I do not buy products from Starbucks due to moral/political reasons, so that is not an option.

Money's not the issue here for him.

So....no bookstores, eh? What if you were to join a sports team? Or could you ask a school official to let you hang around the library for a bit longer?

If there are enough kids in your school that have this problem, it might be possible for you guys to form a group and ask the school for some kind of solution to this problem.

Coidzor
2009-08-10, 07:11 PM
Money's not the issue here for him.

He's a "rich suburban kid" and as an option it's best not to rule it out for times of desperation.

Forming a study group and seeing if he can get one of the teachers to sponsor them does seem to be a good idea though, CBS.

Vmag
2009-08-10, 07:14 PM
Here (tvtropes.com) let (tvtropes.com) me (tvtropes.com) take (tvtropes.com) the (tvtropes.com) joke (tvtropes.com) to (tvtropes.com) its (tvtropes.com) logical (tvtropes.com) conclusion (tvtropes.com). (tvtropes.com) Ha (tvtropes.com) ha (tvtropes.com). (tvtropes.com)

Forgive me for a little off-topicness... but logical conclusions are overrated. Following the paved path doesn't do much for adventure.

Jalor
2009-08-10, 07:15 PM
What if you were to join a sports team?
Flat-footed with vaguely deformed ankles. Even marching band gives me horrible ankle and shin pains, and you don't get to play music while playing basketball.

I have joined a couple of clubs, but most only go for an hour. I need two. I feel pretty pathetic just shooting down every suggestion though. Sorry if I seem useless or incompetent. I am.

Or could you ask a school official to let you hang around the library for a bit longer?
Tried that last year. The librarian took pity on me and raised the maximum amount of books I can have out at once, which is very nice but not a solution.

If there are enough kids in your school that have this problem, it might be possible for you guys to form a group and ask the school for some kind of solution to this problem.
It was a petition that changed the time in the first place. It's an option, but I'd have to gather a lot of support.

He's a "rich suburban kid" and as an option it's best not to rule it out for times of desperation.
Ther is also a big difference between "money my parents have" and "money I have". I clean pools and wash cars for my spending money.

Forming a study group and seeing if he can get one of the teachers to sponsor them does seem to be a good idea though, CBS.
That's a club. I don't think they let clubs run for two hours, but I could check.

13_CBS
2009-08-10, 07:17 PM
Flat-footed with vaguely deformed ankles. Even marching band gives me horrible ankle and shin pains, and you don't get to play music while playing basketball.

I have joined a couple of clubs, but most only go for an hour. I need two. I feel pretty pathetic just shooting down every suggestion though. Sorry if I seem useless or incompetent. I am.

Shucks.

Any thoughts on banding together with other "need a place to hang around after school" folks?

snoopy13a
2009-08-10, 07:20 PM
Some teachers at your school may work for an hour or two after school ends grading papers and the like. You could see if any teachers in the building (preferably your teachers) do this and stay in their classroom during this time.

Believe it or not, most* teachers like kids. That's the reason they got into the profession in the first place.

* There are a few exceptions. Most notably, the ones who are 10+ years in and don't want to find another job and are constantly bitter.

Jalor
2009-08-10, 07:24 PM
* There are a few exceptions. Most notably, the ones who are 10+ years in and don't want to find another job and are constantly bitter.
10+ years is when you have tenure. They're the ones who didn't get laid off during the recession and ensuing budget cuts. Still, I could try. Two hours is a bit of a stretch though.

Wow, the freakin' recession really messed with my after-school life.

snoopy13a
2009-08-10, 07:39 PM
10+ years is when you have tenure. They're the ones who didn't get laid off during the recession and ensuing budget cuts. Still, I could try. Two hours is a bit of a stretch though.

Wow, the freakin' recession really messed with my after-school life.

I think I mistyped a little.

The majority of long term teachers like their job and like working with kids. There are a handful who are bitter and are waiting until they retire. The bitter teacher are a minority though. Most long term teacher like their jobs.

Also, it helps to be friendly to your teachers when college recommendation letters go around :smallsmile:

CDR_Doom
2009-08-10, 08:03 PM
Have you asked your parents if they have any suggestions or insight into the problem? I don't know what your specific moral/political objections to Starbuck's are, but it may be worth considering asking your parents to give you just enough money to buy a small cup of regular coffee after school every day. I'm not trying to say that your objections are wrong or unfounded, it's just that if this is a big deal for you and you have no other options, your education is much more important than giving a few bucks to the corporate monstrosity that is Starbuck's.

Coidzor
2009-08-10, 08:07 PM
I think I mistyped a little.

The majority of long term teachers like their job and like working with kids. There are a handful who are bitter and are waiting until they retire. The bitter teacher are a minority though. Most long term teacher like their jobs.

Also, it helps to be friendly to your teachers when college recommendation letters go around :smallsmile:

Aye, cultivating relationships is always a good thing to do anyway too.

xPANCAKEx
2009-08-10, 08:11 PM
get a bike - no where is "too far". 10 miles can be done in about 40 minutes at an easy pace.

and excercise is awesome

and riding around is awesome

infact

bikes are the winning choice

either that, or you can to a local independant coffee shop (which there are always a few around, you just have to look)

evnafets
2009-08-10, 08:57 PM
How far out do your friends live?

If there is nothing in the immediate area apart from the Starbucks can you get a lift from one of your friends to a different point (eg the Library) and then have your mom pick you up from there?

Can you jump on a bus and do that? How far is too far?

Coidzor
2009-08-10, 09:21 PM
Ah, yes, I forgot about the bus system. Investigate what public transit options you might have. Either in getting to a more comfortable waiting locale (this library, f'r instance) or... maybe even walking distance of your place. Could help solve some of this.

Failing that though, maybe investing in a bike rack for the back of the car so the bike can be transported to school and then used to get to another locale better suited for waiting.

JonestheSpy
2009-08-11, 12:34 AM
Two thoughts:

a) Parks? I mean, I know Florida weather can get kind of soupy, but hanging out doing your homework in the open should be an option at least sometimes, I'd think.

b) Get a cheap beater bike, and keep it at school to get around there. Get a big ass chain, lock it up at school and don't bother taking it home, but scoot around your school's neighborhood.

c) Public transportation is, indeed, a hallmark of true civilization. I realize you're in Florida, but hey, there should be something, I hope?

BTW, I totally applaud your resolution in the face of Starbucks.

Hazkali
2009-08-11, 06:13 AM
I would ask your school why the library doesn't stay open longer. In my old Secondary School the library would stay open about two hours after school finished, for the very purpose of letting students have a structured place to do their homework. I'm sure there are others in your position, perhaps start a petition?

Quincunx
2009-08-11, 07:00 AM
If the idea of crashing at the friend's house gives you moral quibbles, give them a few bucks a week (monthly--it's less easy to refuse a slightly larger amount) to replenish the snacks supply, on the grounds that if you weren't there you'd have to spend it at the evil Starbucks.

What neighborhood are we talking about here?

Boo
2009-08-11, 07:10 AM
You could always start a riot every day. Or you could become a part-time street musician/performer (lots of those in Toronto).

>>
<<

Just sayin'.

AKA_Bait
2009-08-11, 07:20 AM
It sounds like your school has a serious lack of after school extracurriculars. You might want to ask and see if you can start a club that will allow you the use of the room. For your needs, I'd suggest a chess club (assuming you know how to play and your friends who need a spot do too) since chess is a quiet enough game that people can study at the same time. In the alternative a debate team/club is also possible. Both are reasonably likely to get support as they tend to be 'prestigious' whereas a study hall hour is, at least in theory if not in practice at your school, par for the course.

If you get turned down, go to a PTA meeting and ask for this stuff. Frankly, that your school doesn't have them may be hurting the college chances of the college bound students.

pendell
2009-08-11, 07:24 AM
Hmm .. when I was a kid growing up, I grew up in tract housing in which there were no other kids. My situation was very similar.

My solution was to go home and read a lot.

I would also use my bicycle to ride into town, but the library sounds more productive.

Your after school friend sounds like a good bet. Hmmm ... you're friend's parents 'never refuse to help anyone out' -- maybe you could explain your situation to your friend's *parents*? It may be they could work out some sort of long-term care situation. If it makes you feel guilty about accepting help, talk to them and see if you can arrange for some kind of useful thing to do to help out ... are you any good with a computer, or with software? Lots of people would *kill* to have unpaid technical support in their home.

Are boy scouts or similar an option? What about YMCA? What about martial arts class, if your parents are willing to spring for it ?

I dislike the idea of Starbucks -- unless you strike up a good relationship long-term with the manager. Strange people sometimes frequent public places, and a young unattached child by himself for hours might prove a tempting target. So be somewhere where people know you, know your parents, and won't let a stranger simply grab you.

You're a genius, possibly more intelligent than almost anyone else here. Time to put that IQ to work solving your problem.

You need:
A) Some place to crash.
Since these places are almost always under supervision, you need
B) Someone who's willing to let you crash there.
C) Transportation to and from the location.

List your problems. Now, list your assets. Then map one to the other. If you don't have enough information, research. You're already doing that last step by asking here, but you need to know more about what's available in your area too.

You mentioned your mom works for a major religion -- do *they* have a library on the premises? Every church I've ever been in has a library. It's a bit more themed than your public library, but some of the books are much more interesting.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

PS. I get a little tired of reading posts where the response to every major life issue is 'enlist'. The US armed forces are neither a babysitting service, nor an employer of last resort, nor a place to dump society's unused or unwanted. It is a calling. Further, it is a calling that has become increasingly selective (IME) as budget cuts have taken effect and technical skills have become more demanding. IMO, people should join the armed forces for one reason, and one reason only: To serve their country, possibly to get a bit of rounding and toughening before exploring the rest of life. And part of that is a willingness to lay down your life if necessary in defense of your country. Recruiters can say what they want, but once in it's "needs of the service" that take precedence. -- BDP.

Deathslayer7
2009-08-11, 11:54 AM
can't you find a good teacher's room or something. I had the exact same problem you were in. I lived too far away from school, and I always almost stayed after school for at least a half hour. Problem with that though was that the bus didnt come for another hour n half, so I had to find something to do.

I'm positive that there are some clubs that run at least an hour after school is out. If not....

Find a teacher's room where you can just hang out and do homework. I used this one a lot. Ironically the three teachers who did it were math teachers, and always had their rooms open after school to help out students. Two of them even let the students stay after they left.

mangosta71
2009-08-11, 12:19 PM
If you get turned down, go to a PTA meeting and ask for this stuff. Frankly, that your school doesn't have them may be hurting the college chances of the college bound students.

Or make it one of your demands when you climb the bell tower with a sniper rifle.

Krrth
2009-08-11, 12:22 PM
I don't want to offend anyone, but there is another possible solution: Try another religious institution nearby (if there is one). As long as you are respectful, there usually isn't a problem with using an empty room.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-08-11, 12:23 PM
Are there any other fast food joints? Italian places with open air seating? What about a Boys and Girl's Club? It's been a long time since I lived in Orlando, but I remember it being warm and friendly.

How far is it to the Church? Does it have any classrooms that you could quietly slip into unnoticed? This way you avoid any drudge work, while getting your homework done.

I'd say grab a map of the local area, or a Google Earth image from above the area and look around. Look for places that don't charge as much as others. 5X$5 for coffee at Starbucks=$25. 5X$1 for dollar soda at McDonalds? Cheap rent for a table big enough to set out even a big homework project.

Also the friend might not be a bad idea, if you sell it right. Hanging out, munching on free chips and sodas is bad, but coming over to help each other with homework? Goods grades pays for a lot with parents.

Telonius
2009-08-11, 12:23 PM
Do you know anybody in the local newspaper business? This is the sort of story they generally love to get their hands on. "Local kid just wants a place to do his homework - but look how these evil corporations and bureaucratic school administrators are preventing him from learning." (Note: Be SURE you ask both the school and the Starbucks manager before you take that step).

pendell
2009-08-11, 02:06 PM
Another thought: Is there a local game shop nearby? Even if you couldn't hang out there, you could advertise as a player wanting to join a D&D game. If you find a group -- and it passes your mother's smell test, 'cause some are pretty weird -- that might be a use for two hours.

If your mother has a religious objection to D&D, there's Traveller and Spycraft and Aces&Eights and others. Or even straight wargaming.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

AKA_Bait
2009-08-11, 02:13 PM
Do you know anybody in the local newspaper business? This is the sort of story they generally love to get their hands on. "Local kid just wants a place to do his homework - but look how these evil corporations and bureaucratic school administrators are preventing him from learning." (Note: Be SURE you ask both the school and the Starbucks manager before you take that step).

Also not a bad idea. There are lots of ways you can apply pressure on the school or local businesses to give you a place to study. PTA and media are two.

Or make it one of your demands when you climb the bell tower with a sniper rifle.

The amount to which that is not funny is more than I can properly express. Please don't. There are young readers on this board.

Lupy
2009-08-11, 02:23 PM
The amount to which that is not funny is more than I can properly express. Please don't. There are young readers on this board.

Children who climb a bell tower with a gun on the advice of a post on an internet forum shouldn't be allowed near a computer anyway.

thubby
2009-08-11, 03:26 PM
public library
game store
a park or otherwise quiet chunk of the outdoors. (only applicable in nice weather)
a local diner. they were practically made for this sort of thing, just tip nicely if you don't buy much. :smallwink: (and be mindful you are taking a seat if they get busy)

Zeful
2009-08-11, 03:53 PM
Children who climb a bell tower with a gun on the advice of a post on an internet forum shouldn't be allowed near a computer anyway.

Nor should the person giving the advice. Jokes about school shootings Aren't Funny.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-11, 03:56 PM
Nor should the person giving the advice. Jokes about school shootings Aren't Funny.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Keshay
2009-08-11, 04:01 PM
For those who are wondering why the school won't stay openfor a prolonged period of time after the end of the day I offer the two main reasons:

1) Liability - anything that goes wrong on school grounds is thier legal responsibility. Having a boatload of kids around all day is enough of a legal nightmare, prolonging the time only compounds the problem.

2) You have to pay whoever is there to watch the kids. See #1 above as to why you can't leave kids alone to do whatever. And yes, in most cases you do have to pay the folks, volunteering your time is often not an option in many school districts. Time spent on-campus and with kids is always billable, regardless of whether the individual wants it to be pro-bono (talk to the teacher's union about that one). Also, depending on the environment, teachers are often categorically not permitted to spend time alone with one student. Espically Florida, havn't half the kiddie-touching teacher stories come from that state?

Sorry I have no ideas for where you can go. I walked home from school every day starting in 8th grade (~5 miles). For most of that time I started in the opposite direction to go to the Y to work out.

Edit: Nevermind, I missed the part about your school being an hour away. That seems a bit extreme, there's nowhere closer to where you live you can attend? Seriously, if you and your Mom are commuting an hour each way to go to school/work, espically for what sounds like a crummy job for ungrateful nuns, a lot of money could be saved either by moving closer or finding another place to work/school.

Best of luck finding a place to chill.

Moff Chumley
2009-08-11, 04:25 PM

You take the high road and I'll take the low road...

Downtown Orlando area? And there are NO coffee establishments aside from Starbucks?

Right.

Jalor
2009-08-11, 07:48 PM
... are you any good with a computer, or with software? Lots of people would *kill* to have unpaid technical support in their home.
Yes I am. My magnet program is for engineering, science, and technology, so the friend in question is almost as good with computers. It's a good idea though.

You mentioned your mom works for a major religion -- do *they* have a library on the premises? Every church I've ever been in has a library. It's a bit more themed than your public library, but some of the books are much more interesting.
They have a large office library, but not a public library. I assembled 75% of the office library's shelves, carried boxes of books in, and alphabetized it. Odds are I wouldn't get many chances to sit down and do my own work.

Are boy scouts or similar an option?
I'm in Boy Scouts already. Life scout, working towards Eagle. My troop meets later at night, so it doesn't help.

It sounds like your school has a serious lack of after school extracurriculars. You might want to ask and see if you can start a club that will allow you the use of the room. For your needs, I'd suggest a chess club (assuming you know how to play and your friends who need a spot do too) since chess is a quiet enough game that people can study at the same time. In the alternative a debate team/club is also possible.I'm in Model UN, which is basically a debate team. That takes care of one hour on Wednesday. There's a more competitive debate team, but both them and the chess club conflict with marching band.

Another thought: Is there a local game shop nearby?Some friends and I are actually working on starting a D&D club. One guy swears up and down that he'll be able to find a teacher to sponsor it, but I doubt that seeing as he has yet to produce the teacher's name. The problem is most clubs don't run two hours.

Right now my options are:
-Crash at my dutiful friend's house. It's easy to arrange, but I don't want to become a burden.

-Start/join a buttload of clubs. Fun, but I don't think you're allowed to have two-hour long club meetings. Also difficult to arrange.

-Take a bus to somewhere awesome, like the Downtown Library or the game store I frequent on weekends. I'll need to check the bus schedules, but this looks like my best option so far.

Thanks for all the help, I didn't expect this many responses.

EndlessWrath
2009-08-12, 02:39 AM
In my former school, kids who didn't have a ride till later hours would stay in the school building on one of two areas. Either Outside on a plaza, or inside in a monitored room. The room usually allowed you to do homework.

I was under the impression that all schools do something similar or have a similar room. Sure staying at school can be an issue.. but i would hope thats an option not yet considered.

Other than that i would offer the drop off point or to talk with your teachers/administrators about it. Possibly waiting outside where people wait for rides (yes its probably ungodly hot) but getting homework done takes priority. Sometimes you just gotta sit down, lean on a book and do it.

I hope you find this helpful, if not I only can wish you the best.
:smalleek:hope you find your answer

Serpentine
2009-08-12, 03:45 AM
a) Parks? I mean, I know Florida weather can get kind of soupy, but hanging out doing your homework in the open should be an option at least sometimes, I'd think.

a park or otherwise quiet chunk of the outdoors. (only applicable in nice weather)It took 29 (and then another 14) posts before someone suggested a park? :smallconfused: I don't think I've ever been anywhere more than a few minutes walk from at least some small patch of free green. Similar options include: Outside a church (such as your mother's work... Cannae getcha if you're outside our of sight!), a cemetary, the grounds of a public building, near a fountain or other public art, near a waterbody (such as a river, pond or (big fancy) drain), so on.

Flat-footed with vaguely deformed ankles. Even marching band gives me horrible ankle and shin pains, and you don't get to play music while playing basketball.Do your ankles roll inwards? If so, I've got that (though probably not so bad). I recommend investing in some high-arch insoles.

Quincunx
2009-08-12, 03:56 AM
It's Orlando, for pete's sake. If you can't find somewhere to loiter and enjoy the air conditioning, you are not trying. Parks are not the first point of call. (Also, 'after school' hours neatly encapsulate the 'daily thunderstorm' hour. Chances of getting a downpour on your homework are higher than they should be.) [EDIT: OK, so the preceding two sentences, and borrowing someone's hair dryer to dry out one's textbook before mildew sets in, may be filed under Knowledge (local). . .]

Serpentine
2009-08-12, 04:07 AM
And, being in Australia, I should know that... how, exactly? :smallconfused: It'd still be my first suggestion, pretty much wherever he was *shrug* (aside from public libraries, of course)

Jalor
2009-08-12, 06:02 AM
It's Orlando, for pete's sake. If you can't find somewhere to loiter and enjoy the air conditioning, you are not trying. Parks are not the first point of call. (Also, 'after school' hours neatly encapsulate the 'daily thunderstorm' hour. Chances of getting a downpour on your homework are higher than they should be.) [EDIT: OK, so the preceding two sentences, and borrowing someone's hair dryer to dry out one's textbook before mildew sets in, may be filed under Knowledge (local). . .]

Oh, you've spent time in Orlando? Because that's pretty much how it is. The only things I'm willing to spend extended periods of time outside for are band camp and band practice. Friggin' state is hotter than Baator.

School last year started at the very nice hour of 9:24 and ended at the absurdly late hour of 4:24. School this year starts at the ungodly hour of 7:24 and ends at the nice but inconvenient hour of 2:24. Quincunx is correct; the daily thunderstorm hits right around the end of my new school day. I actually tried to read in a gazebo after school last year, on a day we got out early. The rain blew sideways.

So no parks. But I'll check how late a club is allowed to run.

pendell
2009-08-12, 06:28 AM
Yes I am. My magnet program is for engineering, science, and technology, so the friend in question is almost as good with computers. It's a good idea though.

*Nod* If you explore this option, there's no reason you have to be a burden. Talk to your host and see if you can find some way to 'earn your keep'. Is there trash that needs taking out? Dishes that need washing? Lawns that need mowing? Other children that need tutoring? Computer registry that needs examiniation and re-tuning? Some home project with, say, robotics, that the family is working on but doesn't have the time for?

Then again, it may be that your host believes that simply keeping your friend entertained after hours instead of, say, creating computer virii or summoning major demons in the basement is adequate compensation in and of itself.

When you get older and you start having to look for roommates for real, I think you will find the skill of 'earning your keep' -- in kind or in services if not in cash -- will stand you in good stead. It could make the difference between having a sofa to crash on and a park bench.

Speaking of which ... you say most things bore you? Have you tried Hobby Robotics (http://www.hobbyengineering.com/)? That's something I wish I had more time for. I'll watch my news feed for reports of giant Gundams in Orlando.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Om
2009-08-12, 08:51 AM
Go for a walk. Two hours should be enough time to do a nice 10k walk

Moff Chumley
2009-08-12, 12:01 PM
How does one get homework done while walking?

Vmag
2009-08-12, 04:42 PM

I think they're absolutely hilarious :smallamused:

At any rate, how is this for an idea?

Approach a representative of the school - counselor (guidance or otherwise), principal/vice principal, favored teacher, etc.

Explain to them your situation, that you need a place to study after school but the school itself isn't opened to you and there's nothing you can find in the immediate area.

????

Profit!

The school wants their funds, and failing grades do not funding get. They understand that, so they'll open Some set of doors to you if you present your case.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-08-13, 03:33 PM
Any luck? Just curious to see how things are coming...

Jalor
2009-08-13, 05:06 PM
None yet. I received my class schedule and have great teachers, but that doesn't really help my situation. I still need to speak to my altruistic friend; we have many classes together and can study the same material or work on group projects. It's looking like the best option so far.

Jamin
2009-08-13, 05:18 PM

I agree 100%.

Jalor
2009-08-14, 08:05 PM
New developments.

The friendly mom of my altruistic friend volunteered to pick me up from school and take me to my friend's house to do homework and stuff. My own mother pointed out that it would be easier if I were dropped of at her office. Of that major religion, with the people who hate me.

I have maybe a week to try to change her mind. This sucks. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShootTheShaggyDog)

pendell
2009-08-16, 07:55 AM
It most definitely does. Sounds like a lousy situation. Will definitely pr... oops,
can't say that on the playground. "Invoke supernatural powers to assist you?" Not religious but definitely creepy. Well .. will do what I can.
Still rooting for you and hoping for the best.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

PS. Parents can be darned unreasonable at times, eh? Something to
remember in about ten years when Spawn of Jailor comes slouching into
the world to be born :). -- BDP.

JerryMcJerrison
2009-08-16, 08:08 AM
Perhaps you could sprinkle a few fibs that your friend needs your help in his studies, or vice versa?

And I assume there's not a place near her office that would be a good spot for you to hang out until she's done, but just in case it slipped your mind, is there anywhere?

pendell
2009-08-16, 02:38 PM
Perhaps you could sprinkle a few fibs that your friend needs your help in his studies, or vice versa?

Why lie when the truth works just as well? I've never met anyone who
got lower grades because they studied with a friend instead of alone.
And there was never a grade so good it couldn't be better.

Besides which ... I know that if I was a parent I would much rather
my child was with friends I trusted and bonding with other people his
age -- maybe building lifelong friendships that will serve well later than life--
than having him be fish out of water among people for whom kids are simply
not a priority. I should think this would be so obvious it doesn't even need to be argued, but evidently it does. I certainly wish Jalor well in his efforts to be convincing.

But I would strongly urge *not* lying to parents outside of a literal life-or-death emergency. The problem with that is that it does come out sooner or later, and it'll make her less likely to listen to you in future. There may come a time when you absolutely, positively *must* make her believe you and that's hard to do if there's a history of lies between you.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Serpentine
2009-08-16, 10:43 PM
Yeah, definitely no need for lying.

"Thanks mum, but I'll be able to study with [friend], and I won't be able to at your work."