PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew, automatic weapon rule advice

Shirocco
2009-08-10, 07:48 PM
Been running homebrew games heavy with guns, bombs and bayonets for quite some time. Recently i wrote and changed to a new shooting system, and i'm looking at tweaking how automatic weapons fire works.

Shooting is D10, D10. First is to hit, causing a wound if it succeeds. Second makes that wound a kill. Different weapons have modifiers on one, the other or both of these dice and every few turns must stop to reload (also varies by weapon).

Semi autos typically have 2-3 shots per turn. They tend to have +1 accuracy on the autos and higher damage. This heavy hit allows them to shoot through walls more effectively and defeat Armour more easily.

Automatics have a universal +1, +1 when burst firing at short range. Full auto is +0, +2 with an extra two shots per turn. When you add this to their base damage they do nearly as much as the semi autos while firing 4 shots per turn (or 6 flatout). Automatics also cause enfilade (extra hits against dense targets) much more easily. Their down side is they consume ammo very quickly, and over 5-10+ turns of heavy fire will overheat (causes weapon failure).

The result is automatics ended up hitting much more often than semis at short range. Although autos lose their edge beyond short range some of my players are reckoning this to be pretty imbalanced in favor of automatics. I don't, but this is a homebrew design forum... has anyone here got some advise?