PDA

View Full Version : Music now

artfuldodger
2006-04-25, 02:45 PM
recently ive been listening to a lot of Gym Class Heroes. i like them a lot but i still love looking for new music. what is everyone else listening to now?

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-04-25, 03:00 PM
Now? As in right now, as I sit here typing this post? Only the click-clack sound of the keyboard as I type.

In general? Well, I've been on a Beatles kick ever since I took that History of Rock 'n' Roll class. Still working on my collection, though. Only have five albums.

I'm also into instrumental and musical soundtracks. Particularly contemporary (80's to present day) musicals. Any pre-80's musical that catches my ear tends to fall into the rock opera category (such as Jesus Christ Superstar, Tommy, and Hair).

Once I get the budget, I intend to expand my music collection to include a bit more alternative and folk rock. (This is, of course, in addition to completing my Beatles collection.)

Amiria
2006-04-25, 03:01 PM
I currently listen to my Manowar albums (not at the same time) and the moaning of my power pack exhaust

@V ah, yes I also have all Rhapsody albums, very nice but kitschy fantasy mental; SotEL II is really a bit to kitschy for my taste

Toxic Avenger
2006-04-25, 03:06 PM
Ah yes, the self-proclaimed "Kings of Metal". I listen to them quite often.

But not today, I played a Rhapsody CD on the way to work. (Symphony of the Enchanted Lands II)

EDIT: Added 'self-proclaimed' ;)

Jibar
2006-04-25, 03:34 PM
Currently, Crowded House,
A 90s band, that I love.

Xanadu
2006-04-25, 05:46 PM
2112 by Rush.

Quite possibly the best song ever written.

reorith
2006-04-25, 06:08 PM
lenny kravitz. not sure why

Flak_Razorwill
2006-04-25, 06:31 PM
Electric Six's "High Voltage." It's on my driving playlist right after Smokey and the Bandit's "East Bound and Down."

*Hits skip back twice*

There we go.

I wrote new lyrics that have to do with Xykon's expedition to Azure city from the Hobgoblin valley. It took about an hour, after I was running through the art thread, and came across a pic of Xykon and co. as a band. It got me thinking: what songs in my library sound like they could be sung in that scene? No trumpets or flutes, so there went half my funk and disco. Aerosmith, maybe, but some things were too complex for 2 guitars, a soloist, some drums, and three backup singers. I finally found one that not only sounded simple enough to work with the setup, but actually worked into the plot.

The Xykon Mix:

East bound and down, loaded up and marchin',
we're gonna do what they say can't get by.
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.
I'm east bound, just watch the villain fly.

Keep your feet hard on the path, no time for coffee breaks!
Let it all hang out 'cause we gotta plan to make!
The Azure gate's all for the claimin' and the guards all need some maimin'.
And we'll have it all no matter what it takes.

East bound and down, locked-loaded and rollin',
we're gonna strike from both land and the sky.
We've got armies of minions that we need to sacrifice.

(Instrumental Bridge)

East bound and down, busy zombifyin'
we're gonna rule earth, for the end is nigh.
We've got Redcloak on bass and Dark Creature on the drums.
Hey roaches! Let's watch the villain fly!

The Order's got some magic, and Greenhilt's game is on.
He aint gonna rest 'til you've been pwned.
So you got to smite 'im and you got to curse 'im,
you got to keep that plot hook turnin'.
Just get the gate down now and unleash hell!

McBish
2006-04-25, 07:52 PM
Dropkick Murphays. Right now. Wait now Flogging Molly.

Ego Slayer
2006-04-25, 07:56 PM
Lately, uhm.. Panic! At the Disco.. The Used.

recently ive been listening to a lot of Gym Class Heroes. i like them a lot but i still love looking for new music. what is everyone else listening to now?

Ooh.. isn't that the band with the song called 'Taxi Driver' or something?

Jack Squat
2006-04-25, 08:39 PM
Right now, I'm listening to Journey "Ask the Lonely". since last Wednesday, I've been listening to Gaelic Storm, Bon Jovi, Queen, J Geils Band, Meat Loaf, Johnny Rivers "Secret Agent Man", The Knack, The Clash, Def Leppard, my "Bagpipes of Scotland" cd, The Kingsmen, and Los Lobos.

Bunny
2006-04-26, 12:45 AM
I am a geek, even among geeks.

I have the entire collection of Beethoven concerti, as performed by Alfred Brendel and the Chicago Symphony. I adore it. Now that good weather has arrived I open my windows and play it to the entire neighborhood.

Last year I was very, very fortunate (and subsequently very, very broke) to hear Brendel play on opening night at the Luzern Summer Music Festival. You could hear people crying during the second movement, he played it so sensitively.

My other favorite recording is Queens' A Night at the Opera. This year my big concert expenditure was to see Queen in concert; and once again I was treated to a concert hall full of teary people as Brian May led the audience in "Love of My Life" as a tribute to Freddie. It was beautiful.

That's what I listen to most these days, I reckon. Alfred and Freddie and their respective bands.

Bunny

SDMF
2006-04-26, 04:31 AM

Wow. Dropkick Murphys was in the CD player on the way home from work, and once I got on the Computer, I put on...

*drumroll*

FLOGGING MOLLY!!!

McBish, if you are into the Irish themed music as such, I suggest you check out Gaelic Storm.

Style wise, they sit about here realtive to the other previously mentioned bands in the musical spectrum:

Traditional Irish Tunes
Gaelic Storm
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphys
Hardcore Punk

potatocubed
2006-04-26, 07:23 AM
Most recent music listened to was...

Some song I can't remember the name of by Immaculate Machine. (sort of rock-y)
International Dateline by Ladytron. (weird electronica)
And... Pyrite Pedestal by Pretty Girls Make Graves. (punk)

I love my obscure bands. ;D

Orson_McNichol
2006-04-26, 08:42 AM
You owe it to yourself to check out Dinosaur Jr.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-04-26, 08:46 AM
At this very moment? Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees, f00.

In general, I'll listen to almost anything so long as it has some kind of quality.

artfuldodger
2006-04-26, 01:56 PM
Lately, uhm.. Panic! At the Disco.. The Used.

Ooh.. isn't that the band with the song called 'Taxi Driver' or something?

ya and they're on the same lable (fueled by ramen) as panic! at the disco

Rach
2006-04-26, 10:40 PM
Right now I have a few artist kicks I'm on... The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Fiery Furnaces, Jade Leary, Le Tigre, Spoon...

More 'conventional' band would be Snow Patrol, Folk Implosion... uh... I can't think of many others that I listen to.

CatCameBack
2006-04-27, 11:54 AM
Electric Six's "High Voltage."

Anything like the AC/DC song?

To answer the thread, my playlist went from "Holy Diver" by Dio to "Days Go By" by Dirty Vegas while I am typing.

My playlist is alphabetical.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-04-27, 12:55 PM
Anything like the AC/DC song?

To answer the thread, my playlist went from "Holy Diver" by Dio to "Days Go By" by Dirty Vegas while I am typing.

My playlist is alphabetical.

Never heard that one. This one's like...

http://csvoltage.ytmnd.com/

Ignore image, let the audio load.

McBish
2006-04-27, 02:29 PM
McBish, if you are into the Irish themed music as such, I suggest you check out Gaelic Storm.

I think I was wearing my Gaelic Storm shirt when I wrote that. For anyone who likes Gaelic Storm I also suggest a band I saw this St. Patricks day Rising Gael. And does anyone have an opinion of Off Kilter, I have heard of them but never heard them.

Amiria
2006-04-27, 05:33 PM
Tonight (it's already 11:33 p.m. here) its all Blind Guardian (http://www.blind-guardian.com/) for me.

CatCameBack
2006-04-27, 08:16 PM
Never heard that one. This one's like...

http://csvoltage.ytmnd.com/

Ignore image, let the audio load.

Old AC/DC song form 1978, pre-Back in Black.

Ok, the song title is "Danger, High Voltage!", pretty good for techno. At least he says "High Voltage!" just like Bon Scott did.

I accidentally downloaded the Lnkin Park song of same name. Blech.

EDIT: Staying with thread, we have moved on to Blue Man Group here.

SDMF
2006-04-28, 04:48 AM
I think I was wearing my Gaelic Storm shirt when I wrote that. For anyone who likes Gaelic Storm I also suggest a band I saw this St. Patricks day Rising Gael. And does anyone have an opinion of Off Kilter, I have heard of them but never heard them.

*thumbs up for the Gaelic Storm shirt*

*adds Rising Gael to list of bands to check out*

--Right now I'm listening to a band Called Jucifer, seems pretty cool. I got a free copy of one of their CD's for fixing their RV & trailer.

hobbes543
2006-04-28, 08:20 PM
Listening to a bunch of RHCP at the moment. Their new single Dani California is amazing! Think funk, rock and Lynard Skynard ;D Fruciante, has a nice solo while Anthony's singing has continued to improve. Flea and Chad are solid as usual.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-04-28, 08:34 PM
"Down in the River to Pray," Alison Krauss, from the "O Brother" soundtrack.

Amotis
2006-04-28, 10:19 PM
George Fame's Moondance by Van Morrison and Jon Hendricks

Well, it's an marvolous night for a moondace... ;D

Amiria
2006-04-29, 06:53 PM
This night my playlist is all "My Dying Bride". Everything except their "34.788% Complete" album. But I'm getting sleppy now...

Spuddly
2006-04-30, 09:42 PM
Right now?
"Flamenco's F.uckin' Easy" by Murder By Death. Lately, lot of Radiohead, Wolf Parade, Neutral Milk Hotel, Tilt, NIN, New Order and The Pretenders.

Samiam303
2006-04-30, 11:31 PM
I just turned off "Drunken Lullabies" by Flogging Molly, but I've also been listening to WAAAAAAAAAAY too much Streetlight Manifesto. Their new CD is coming out any day now, and I'm getting really impatient... ::) ;D

Ryshan Ynrith
2006-05-01, 11:45 AM
"One-Winged Angel", AC version. Electric guitars and latin chorus, anyone?

Dark_Lotus
2006-05-01, 01:36 PM
I just switched over to something lighter before I started reading this. Statix-X's Anything but This now. It looks like I'm the only metalhead here?

Oh, and Rising Gael people... Is that a Madison group? If I remember correctly, half of my gaming group here hangs out with people from Rising Gael. Or I could just be confused, thats not my kind of music. But that name sounds very familiar, it seems like they had a cd release a couple months ago, and I was invited to the after party.

Drizzt_Fanboy_74
2006-05-01, 04:25 PM
Mustard Plug- Skank By Numbers

Ska-tastic!

Amotis
2006-05-01, 08:27 PM
"One-Winged Angel", AC version. Electric guitars and latin chorus, anyone?

Eh. I love the original. The remix made me shrug.
See the Dear Friends concert. It will change you life. ;)

McBish
2006-05-01, 08:39 PM
Oh, and Rising Gael people... Is that a Madison group? If I remember correctly, half of my gaming group here hangs out with people from Rising Gael.

Yes they are. I saw them this St. Patricks day and got one of their cd's. I like them.

Samiam303
2006-05-01, 08:42 PM
Mustard Plug- Skank By Numbers

Ska-tastic!
Awesome, I missed seeing them live about a week ago becuase my friend got grounded and I had no transportation... ::) :'(

Drizzt_Fanboy_74
2006-05-15, 04:38 PM
Yeah. They were near me, but the tickets were like $180. So, naturally, I didn't go. THen I checked the site a few weeks later and they were playing shows in other states for ten bucks.

Pixie_Dark
2006-05-15, 06:07 PM
Hey, Dark Lotus, I'm here for ya. I have a Static-X comp in my stereo right now, it's the best to paint to. I'm into Type-O Negative, Slipknot, (older) Metallica, A Perfect Circle, Tool (the words Maynard and God are pretty well interchangeable with me), Godsmack, (older) Staind, uhm...what else...Cannibal Corpse, yeah, the heavier the better, but I will literally listen to anything. I had a 5 disc changer going once with Static X, Maroon 5, Tsunami Bomb (girly punk band), Toby Keith, and Type-O. I'm an equal opportunity listener. ;D

Mattaeu
2006-05-17, 12:05 AM
A little bit of this, a little bit of that: but most recently

My Bloody Valentine and
Dean Martin and
Eydie Gorme(with the little accent thing on the last e)

but, sadly, used the recovery discs on my laptop and everything is gone. :(

kriklaf
2006-05-17, 01:47 AM
since last Wednesday, I've been listening to Gaelic Storm, Bon Jovi, Queen, J Geils Band, Meat Loaf, Johnny Rivers "Secret Agent Man", The Knack, The Clash, Def Leppard, my "Bagpipes of Scotland" cd, The Kingsmen, and Los Lobos.

I am a geek, even among geeks.

My other favorite recording is Queens' A Night at the Opera. This year my big concert expenditure was to see Queen in concert; and once again I was treated to a concert hall full of teary people as Brian May led the audience in "Love of My Life" as a tribute to Freddie. It was beautiful.

That's what I listen to most these days, I reckon. Alfred and Freddie and their respective bands.

Bunny

*sniff* I love you guys! No, seriously--always happy to find new Queen fans.

Oh, and Bunny--don't feel bad. I have a degree in music AND a degree in physics, so I'm pretty much a geek any way you slice it. Hold your head high, and rock out! (btw, I think I like Queen II better than A Night at the Opera, but it's a very close call)

Also, honorary hooray to Jibar--I also love Crowded House, and very few people I know have heard of them.

Currently listening to Metric's "Grow Up and Blow Away."

Tual_Marok
2006-05-17, 06:56 AM

Wow. Dropkick Murphys was in the CD player on the way home from work, and once I got on the Computer, I put on...

*drumroll*

FLOGGING MOLLY!!!

Style wise, they sit about here realtive to the other previously mentioned bands in the musical spectrum:

Traditional Irish Tunes
Gaelic Storm
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphys
Hardcore Punk

Mp3 player on random, guess what i heard while reading this topic
:D

Ishmayl
2006-05-17, 07:35 AM
Currently, everything going into my stereo is jazz or jazz/funk (with a bit of jamband). Brad Mehldau is pretty ridiculous, as well as older Red Garland and Coltrane. Galactic is in rotation, Phish is around somewhere, and I believe I've even got a Dave Matthews live album in the rotator.