PDA

View Full Version : We have seen Haley's tattoo

TheBibliophile
2009-08-11, 01:30 PM
In the fourth-to-last panel in comic number 468, to be precise. It looks like a strawberry to me. :smallwink:

Murdim
2009-08-11, 01:34 PM
In the fourth-to-last panel in comic number 468, to be precise. It looks like a strawberry to me. :smallwink:Sorry, but you're far from being the first person to see the tatoo and post a topic about it :smalltongue:

FYI, what you took for a strawberry is a heart. A heart between the pronoun "I" and a gold coin.

TheBibliophile
2009-08-11, 02:14 PM
Sorry, but you're far from being the first person to see the tatoo and post a topic about it :smalltongue:

FYI, what you took for a strawberry is a heart. A heart between the pronoun "I" and a gold coin.

Ah. Sincere apologies, I just noticed it on my archive trawl and thought I'd comment.

hnokki
2009-08-11, 02:24 PM

No it's not. It's a heart with an arrow through it. You can see it very clearly in "War and XPs"

David Argall
2009-08-12, 03:17 AM
We will get another chance to see just what the tattoo is, probably within the next 50 strips or so. It will be used to identify Haley, whether for good or ill.

Cerrakoth
2009-08-12, 12:36 PM
We will get another chance to see just what the tattoo is, probably within the next 50 strips or so. It will be used to identify Haley, whether for good or ill.

Where did you discover this? I'm sure I've just overlooked something?

TheBibliophile
2009-08-12, 12:51 PM

Wha? :smallconfused:

NerfTW
2009-08-12, 03:40 PM
David likes to state his theories as cold hard fact, whether for good or for ill.

Optimystik
2009-08-12, 03:47 PM
David likes to state his theories as cold hard fact, whether for good or for ill.

Followed by quote-stream attrition and rampant reductios.

kusje
2009-08-12, 04:12 PM
Hey! At least he used the word "probably" this time.

Jamin
2009-08-12, 04:16 PM

How does that make any sense at all? Why would they need to identify Haley?

vampire2948
2009-08-12, 04:50 PM

Might need to identify her as her father's daughter? When they find Nale and Elan's father.

Berserk Monk
2009-08-12, 05:37 PM
You discovered something nearly everyone else knew about. I'ma call you Christopher Columbus.

Wait, what?

David Argall
2009-08-12, 06:36 PM

That could happen a lot of ways. A negative way would be that Bozzak has sent off a warning that Haley is coming, and offers a reward for her body being sent to him. So Haley get harassed by the local law. A positive way might be that Haley gets captured or in gross peril, but somebody sees the tattoo and aids her escape because of who she is. In extreme cases, Haley could be identified as the royal heir by that tattoo. All sorts of possibilities.
However the base question is just why has there been any mention of the tattoo at all? It's been pretty much pointless so far. So we are faced with the presumption this is foreshadowing. Just as there was a mention of a 2nd dragon, there is a mention of a tattoo. Thus we presume that tattoo will be important some time in the future. How? Well, the obvious way is to identify her [not necessarily correctly] as something.
When? Well, everything points to Haley having a big role in the next book, and she has links to her father and other points about the Western continent. So we have a presumption this tattoo will come up within the next 180 strips. But the odds are that the last half of those 180 will be at the gate, and the identification of the tattoo is presumably just a part, maybe the first part, of Haley's story. That suggests the tattoo will come into play long before strip 750.
Clear?

Jamin
2009-08-12, 06:56 PM
How would anyone know she even has a tattoo? She tells it to Elan when reveling secrets.

Godskook
2009-08-12, 06:58 PM
How would anyone know she even has a tattoo? She tells it to Elan when reveling secrets.

Presumably, she's revealed a lot to Elan, and I'm not talking about verbally. Elan probably knows about it from seeing it.

Jamin
2009-08-12, 08:11 PM
Well yes but she includes it in secrets that might have made her lose her voice. So we can say( but of course not know) that people in far lands would not know about it. It would only be known by people who know Haley enough that she would have told or shown them it and those people would already know who she is.

Mike_G
2009-08-12, 08:20 PM
She did kiss a girl once.
Ok, more than once.

Elan may well not be alone in knowing about that tatoo.

David Argall
2009-08-12, 08:40 PM
people in far lands would not know about it. It would only be known by people who know Haley enough that she would have told or shown them it and those people would already know who she is.
This has enough exceptions to not bother us. For example, the missing princess story allows Haley to have last been seen about 20 years ago. Obviously the Bozzak story allows him to have known of the tattoo, and to pass that information on to any enemy of Haley in the Western lands. And her dad may well have friends, who have heard from him that Haley has a certain tattoo at a certain location. So none of these need to know Haley now.