PDA

View Full Version : New Item: Singularity Stone

Korivan
2009-08-11, 01:47 PM
So I saw this idea on another thread, can't remember where. Its about an item that replaces material components. The thread had a good argument about not even needing this depending on DM's, spell selection, and the simple fact you can buy a normal spell componant pouch for "non-costly" spells.

However, the real argument started about an item that would eliminate the need for any components, no matter the cost. There was alot of heated debate, and large numbers thrown around. I was wondering what the good people of this thread thought about this and if they had any ideas to balance such an item.

I figure it would have to be magical, held or somehow carried, expensive as *%#@, not necessarily large (handheld should do), banned from affecting epic or divine magic, and difficult to conceal magicaly(would make for a good plot item for the PC to protect).

Any ideas?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-11, 02:04 PM
Ignore Material Components (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#ignoreMaterialComponents) is an Epic Feat. Like many Epic feats, it's completely broken. It gets used in combination with Ice Assassin to get you gods under your control, Fabricate to get you Antimatter, and any number of other spells to ignore the limiting factor(I believe there's a few out there with '1 Artifact' as the material component). There is no cost that could balance it.

AstralFire
2009-08-11, 02:05 PM
I would call it the Quiddity Stone.

Asheron's Call represent!

Also, rather than making it eliminate material components entirely, make it so you can feed gold or diamonds into it directly, at a 25% mark-up.

Eloel
2009-08-11, 02:06 PM
There is no cost that could balance it.

Not even "one of each component for every spell out there" ?

AKA_Bait
2009-08-11, 02:08 PM
I'd say it depends which material components you are dealing with. If it's things like bat guano, it's redundant or negligible in cost (say 100 gp or 30x the normal cost). If it works for any spell component (like the 25,000 gp in diamonds for true rez) then it would obviously be priceless and epic.

Also, you may want to put this in homebrew if you are actually looking for people to provide homebrewed items for you.

Rad
2009-08-11, 02:59 PM
Not even "one of each component for every spell out there" ?

No, because you will use it to spam the most expensive spells.
Costly material components are a major balancing factor in the design of spells. It should not be removed.

Milskidasith
2009-08-11, 03:09 PM
Why, exactly, are divine spells excluded? While rezzing people is balanced by cost (sort of) it's still a bit odd to exclude them.

Doc Roc
2009-08-11, 03:13 PM
Why, exactly, are divine spells excluded? While rezzing people is balanced by cost (sort of) it's still a bit odd to exclude them.

Because this is the first draft of a poorly designed item. :|
Would you like to know why _I_ think it's a bad plan?
Teleport Through Time.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-11, 03:14 PM

They're not excluded...?

sofawall
2009-08-11, 03:37 PM
banned from affecting epic or divine magic

Hmm, seems to ban the most convenient source of rezzing...

Korivan
2009-08-11, 04:13 PM
The reason I banned divine magic is that I was thinking a more arcane flurish for this item. As for epic feats broken...of course they are, thats the point of epic everything. As for poorly devised item, yes its a bad idea. It would need something to limit it per day or week. Requirments to even use/commune with it. Or make it work only on the DM's whim. Then it would be more balanced. I just wanted to compare arguments from more then one forum before dipping my toes into bringing something like this into a campaign.

Im thinking (assuming I even bring it in)it would be a one-of-a-kind artifact, sentient (so I'm in control). The group would get wind of it towards higher levels of the campaign, 15+. They'd definatly have to go through h$!! to get it and then keep it. It won't have a price value because I have no intention of letting anyone actually buy it. I figure like this it won't be game breaking because I won't allow them to "ice assasin" or whatever else would be maddening. Simply put, since we never get to epic level, I'd be giving them access to an epic feat with serious limitations.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-11, 07:36 PM
Im thinking (assuming I even bring it in)it would be a one-of-a-kind artifact, sentient (so I'm in control). The group would get wind of it towards higher levels of the campaign, 15+. They'd definatly have to go through h$!! to get it and then keep it. It won't have a price value because I have no intention of letting anyone actually buy it. I figure like this it won't be game breaking because I won't allow them to "ice assasin" or whatever else would be maddening. Simply put, since we never get to epic level, I'd be giving them access to an epic feat with serious limitations.There's quite a few spells supposedly balaqnced by material components. Ice Assassin is just one of them. Major Creation:Antimatter, Teleport through Time, and Fabricate are just the most basic examples. This will break the instant your players think about it for a couple seconds.

Xan_Kriegor
2009-08-12, 01:58 AM
While there is the possibility of characters abusing such an item for spells like Ice Assassin for cheese, that's overstepping the bounds of the Gentleman's Agreement most gaming groups have. Doing so tells the DM "feel free to send a battalion of hyper-advanced-with-class-levels Zelekhuts to snatch that artifact back any time." Also, this probably wouldn't be introduced until after the DM knows how close the players like getting to the Gentleman's Agreement's line, meaning it shouldn't be tossed into every campaign. Nonetheless, adding in a few restrictions like it only being able to be activated a few times (say, 2) per week and every time you want to use it you have to roll a natural 15 (or so) to get it to work, should tone down the powerfulness of it.

Asheron's Call represent +1! :smallcool:

BobVosh
2009-08-12, 02:07 AM
Hmm. Level up able item? 1000 gp for each level it can run?

1000 for level 1.
3000 for level 2. (1000+2000)
6000 for level 3. (3000+3000) etc
Level 9 is 45000. Just a thought. Don't really expect people to buy level 1-3 though until they are ready for 4.

Talic
2009-08-12, 02:20 AM
The big problem is that some spells are limited by their component. For example:

Trap the Soul has a gem as a component. The end result is a soul, trapped in a gem.

So... Would the spell then create a gem? Would you be able to trap the souls of commoners to pay your rent?

BobVosh
2009-08-12, 02:33 AM
The big problem is that some spells are limited by their component. For example:

Trap the Soul has a gem as a component. The end result is a soul, trapped in a gem.

So... Would the spell then create a gem? Would you be able to trap the souls of commoners to pay your rent?

aaannnnndddddd an awesome drow campaign is born.

Asheram
2009-08-12, 06:01 AM
Just had this strangest vision of a "living spell; fabricate" Or whatever you want to call it.

A small pink blob of uncertain material which, if you hold it, works as the eschew materials feat.
You feed it with Xp in order for it to produce material components like gold, rubies, diamonds. And it slowly gains "xp" per day in order to charge up to an equivalent of a diamond for a ressurection.
It won't charge more xp beyond that, but you can still feed it your own. and ONLY your own.

Or perhaps not as much charge... I just want to avoid abuse by leaving it on another plane and then go for a coffee break