PDA

View Full Version : [d20r, Template] Elite Creature

Fax Celestis
2009-08-11, 03:57 PM
An elite creature is a commander, a captain, or some other unique or more powerful creature. This template is designed to be easily applicable on the fly but still moderately increase the durability and power of a monster.

Creating an Elite Creature
Elite is an acquired template that can be applied to any creature.

Size and Type
Does not change.

Hit Dice
The creature gains 2 HP per Hit Die.

Speed
The creature's speeds do not change.

Armor Class
The creature increases its Natural Armor by 2. If it does not already have a Natural Armor bonus, it gains one. If the creature is Incorporeal, it instead gains a +2 bonus to its Deflection Armor Class.

Attacks
The creature's attack bonus does not change.

Damage
The creature's damage bonus does not change.

Special Attacks
The creature gains no forms of special attack.

Special Qualities
The created creature gains one of the following special qualities:
Momentum (Ex): The creature increases their initiative score (not their modifier) by 1 at the end of each of their turns. This may alter their place in the initiative order: if so, they act at their new placement. This bonus dissipates at the end of combat.

Hide in Plain Sight (Su): The creature can use the Stealth skill even while being observed. As long as they are within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, the creature can hide itself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. They cannot, however, hide in their own shadow.

Aura (Su): The creature gains one warlord aura of their choice. The aura is considered always on. Substitute the creature's Hit Dice for their warlord level.

Saves
The creature gains a +2 bonus on all saving throws.

Abilities
The creature gains a +4 bonus to two abilities and a +2 bonus to two other abilities. This may alter attack bonuses, saving throws, Hit Points, ability DCs, and similar as normal.

Skills
The creature gains Initiative, Grapple, and one monstrous skill set of their choice as class skills.

Prowess
The creature gains no extra prowess.

Feats
The created creature gains a bonus feat.

Alignment
Does not change.

Advancement
As normal.

CR
+1

LA
The Elite template is not intended for player use.

Xefas
2009-08-11, 05:39 PM
I like it, though I have to ask what the purpose of Momentum is. Not that it's a bad ability, just that if your goal was an easily applied, simple template to increase durability, fiddling with the initiative count every round seems kind of counter-intuitive. It doesn't really increase durability directly, and isn't particularly simple (for example, in my group, once we figure out the initiative order, we don't even keep track of the numbers, just the order in which we take our turns).

Fax Celestis
2009-08-11, 05:49 PM
I like it, though I have to ask what the purpose of Momentum is. Not that it's a bad ability, just that if your goal was an easily applied, simple template to increase durability, fiddling with the initiative count every round seems kind of counter-intuitive. It doesn't really increase durability directly, and isn't particularly simple (for example, in my group, once we figure out the initiative order, we don't even keep track of the numbers, just the order in which we take our turns).

The longer that momentum can apply, the more powerful it becomes, so momentum's biggest power is when there's a leader creature with a bunch of minions in the way--the sort of thing that this template should be used for, actually.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-11, 06:02 PM
Moderately changed the SQ section to allot for three options for abilities.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-11, 08:40 PM
Grapple is a skill now? How does that work?

afroakuma
2009-08-11, 09:24 PM
Oh look, someone spotted it! :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2009-08-11, 10:57 PM
Grapple is a skill now? How does that work?

Forthcoming. Afro and I have been slaving over it for the past few days to make it work. Almost done: just have to add the Shadow of the Colossus stuff.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-12, 07:56 AM
just have to add the Shadow of the Colossus stuff.

*blinks*

Please tell me this will be ready and posted really really really soon.

Morty
2009-08-12, 08:06 AM
Almost done: just have to add the Shadow of the Colossus stuff.

Though the Grapple=Skill idea is brilliant in its simplicity, it makes me uneasy.
As for the template, I like it. It's a simple, quick way to make a monster stronger without having to advance it.

Renchard
2009-08-12, 09:40 AM
Although I applaud your concept, I have to question your stated goals of "easy to apply on the fly" in conjunction with "recalculate all numbers since all 6 of your stats have changed." Why not add a +2 morale or insight bonus to all attacks, and increase the Save DCs of special attacks by 2?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-12, 09:43 AM
Although I applaud your concept, I have to question your stated goals of "easy to apply on the fly" in conjunction with "recalculate all numbers since all 6 of your stats have changed." Why not add a +2 morale or insight bonus to all attacks, and increase the Save DCs of special attacks by 2?

Two +4s and two +2s mean that anything related to two stats is getting a +2 and anything related to the other two is getting a +1. It's rather straightforward: drop the +4 onto Str and Con? Monster gets +2 attack/damage/HP per HD/Fort saves. Drop the +2s on Dex and Wis? +1 init/Will/Reflex/dodge AC.

afroakuma
2009-08-12, 09:45 AM
*blinks*

Please tell me this will be ready and posted really really really soon.

Awesome, yes? :smallbiggrin:

After all, skills need multiple uses. And if you can't pin the dragon, you might as well climb the dragon.

Human Paragon 3
2009-08-12, 09:49 AM
If the grapple skill is good and works, it will have justified d20r all by itself and I will steal it posthaste.