PDA

View Full Version : STAR WARS SAGA help!

Fawsto
2009-08-11, 04:07 PM
Sup guys,

I will play my first Star Wars saga campaing this weekend. I am playing a Human Jedi, but since this is my first character, I want to build it properly. I still do not know what are my stats, since the DM is rolling the stats for everyone.

We are starting at level 4. My character will be a Sith hunter, so he will focus on combat with lightsabers. I want to know, if possible, which are the best feats, talents and jedi powers that I should get to make him a very competent duelist and force user.

The books availble are the Core one, Starships of the Galaxy, Clone Wars, Jedi Academy, Knights of the Old Republic, Legacy Era and teh Force Unleashed.

We will be playing around the time of the Phantom Manace.

I hope you guys can help, thanks, anyways.

AstralFire
2009-08-11, 04:21 PM
Jedi 2/Soldier 2

FEATS
L1: Weapon Focus (Lightsabers)
Human: Force Training
Jedi 2: Skill Focus (Use the Force)
L3: Force Training
Soldier 2: Acrobatic Strike

Eventually you'll want to pick up Running Attack. The goal will be to rush in, slash someone, and keep on moving - your Force Powers will help with that. That will minimize another lightsaber user's ability to hammer you with a full-round of attacks if they're specialized in that. Alternatively, you can grab Power Attack and make the most of your entry.

TALENTS:
J1: Weapon Specialization (Lightsabers)
S1: Devastating Attack

Eventually pick up Melee Smash and Stunning Strike. If you think you'll get level 5 pretty soon, pick up Melee Smash first instead so you can get Stunning Strike next.

POWERS:
Prioritize Surge, Battle Strike, Saber Swarm and Swift Flank (last two from JATM) for offense. Don't go too heavy on any one, especially the surges.

Prioritize Barrier of Blades (JATM), Rebuke and Negate Energy for defense. The last one is the most useful early on generally, but Rebuke is great for force user encounters.

SKILLS:
Use the Force, Initiative, Acrobatics, assuming 10 Int. If you get 12, throw in whatever your group's missing.

STATS:
Prioritize Str and Wis. Cha is not to be dumped, but you don't need to worry about it too much. You'll be a first striker that makes an excellent duelist.

RESULT:
If you get a Bondar Gem Great Lightsaber at level 7+, eventually you'll get a Jedi who runs past someone and knocks them three steps down the condition track, leaving them unable to respond (Running Strike version) or a Jedi who runs up to someone and uses their multistrike force powers - Saber Swarm and Swift Flank - and the Swift Power ability to deliver three good accuracy attacks in one round, each one capable of knocking someone three steps down the condition track.

Pick up a second lightsaber with the Ion damage saber, name escapes me. It'll let you do the same thing to droids.

Fawsto
2009-08-11, 04:35 PM
There is something I can accomplish with Jedi 4, or Jedi/Soldier is better? Also... Perhaps this is my D&D side speaking, but... Weapon Focus isn't a bit... ermmm... inefective?

Also, damn! You are fast! :smallcool:

AstralFire
2009-08-11, 05:06 PM
I wrote up a 'hit and run' Sith duelist as an NPC for a game I DM, she used effectively the same tricks. :smallsmile:

Instead of going the sprinter route you can go with less Force, more brute force (hehehe) which is good for upping your defense, offense -and- staying power - because it needs Cha less, focuses on full attack power, and uses few Force Powers - but it's kinda boring because it doesn't like having to move. The more cinematic and kinetic a GM runs a game, the less effective full attackers tend to be.

A full Jedi? Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm.

Well, there's a few routes.

Soresu Caster-type:

Jedi 1/Noble 1/Jedi 2

FEATS:
Hu: Force Training
J2: Skill Focus (Use the Force)

TALENTS:
J1: Block
N1: Noble Fencing Style
J3: Deflect

At J5, you'll want to pick up Riposte, which is Redirect Shot for Lightsabers. There's also an improved version somewhere. One of them is in KotOR, the other is in JATM.

POWERS:
Rebuke (pick up more depending on how many Sith you'll fight), Move Object (amazing offense at this level, it's not even funny).

SKILLS:
Use the Force, anything except Endurance, really.

STATS:
Charisma is your friend, followed by Wisdom (for more force powers) and Dexterity or Constitution.

RESULTS:
You'll be using your amazing deflection abilities to avoid taking damage, lightsaber as your main offense, then Move Object someone for most of their life now and again. This fights pretty similarly IMO to Obi-Wan in the Prequel Trilogy, as your Lightsaber is your main form of defense and you really try and whittle the opponent down. You'll want the lightsaber crystal that increases your Block rolls, which is either Solari or Jenraux, I think.

Makashi or Ataru Physical-type:

Jedi 4

FEATS:
Hu: Force Training
J2: Skill Focus (Use the Force) OR Weapon Finesse

TALENTS:
J1: Weapon Specialization
J3: Block

POWERS:
Surge (once or twice), Battle Strike, Rebuke, and a number of the Lightsaber forms from JATM.

SKILLS:
Acrobatics, Initiative, Use the Force

STATS:
There's the High Dex version which pretty much abandons your Strength - you can push through anyway at low levels. Wisdom is good for extra powers - pick ones with low DCs unless you luck out with a high Cha.

RESULTS:
I know it says Makashi, but Makashi is only any good if you focus on its Lightsaber powers, while Ataru's good for everyone - make it your first Jedi Knight talent. If you go for Makashi Powers, consider swapping Block for Lightsaber Defense, but you'll be hurting a bit for a while, since Block and Deflect are insanely good at the lower levels. You'll be relying on Battle Strike to push people down the condition track at lower levels.

Fawsto
2009-08-11, 05:20 PM
I just tryed the first build with possible ability score results, and I was in awe... I mean, the character attacks with a lightsaber with a +7, dealing something like 2d8 + 8 damage while anything with short of 16 con cannot hope to not go down a condition, since every attack counts as -5 threshold.

With saber swarm, things get very uggly.

But I wish to use a few of the more classic jedi powers too, like telecinesis and etc. Can I fit them in trought the play without demising this build?

AstralFire
2009-08-11, 05:32 PM
The high Cha Jedi is the best way to get a telekinetic, by RAW, who is any good with a saber. Force Slam is great at low levels and for dealing with mooks, but at high levels, it will never be any good in a one on one situation. So you can throw in Force Slam on the first build (I like to think of it as a very Juyo build in philosophy, by the way) and get some use, but I'd avoid Move Object.

For one on one telekinesis with the Juyo buiild, I encourage use of my version of Force Thrust (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6439130#post6439130) - it actually has a point, unlike the real Force Thrust, and lets the 'gishier' Jedi push a single opponent around while still using their sabers. On a DC system, it looks like:

Time: Swift Action
Targets: One Medium or smaller object or character within 12 squares and also line of sight.
Make a Use the Force check. If you beat the target's Fortitude Defense, you push it up to 1 square in any direction and deal damage equal to one-half your Use the Force roll.

DC 20: Push the target up to 2 squares in any direction, affect targets up to Large size.
DC 25: Push the target up to 3 squares in any direction, affect targets up to Huge size.
DC 30: Push the target up to 4 squares in any direction, affect targets up to Gargantuan size.
Special: Spending a Force Point to activate this power causes a success to knock the target prone in addition to its usual effect, and on a failure it still moves the target (though it deals no damage).

Like all Force Powers, this is overpowered with a good Wis (for obtaining multiple uses) and strong skill check at low levels, but it's not as egregious as Force Lightning or Move Object.

Mind Trick is always good for any build - very flavorful, occasionally has a combat usage (best 'Taunt' mechanic ever), great utility.

Fawsto
2009-08-11, 06:27 PM
I will hit the first Build. Thanks a lot man, needing anything from the forums, count on me!

AstralFire
2009-08-11, 06:38 PM
I will hit the first Build. Thanks a lot man, needing anything from the forums, count on me!

No problem! And to answer your edited in question - Weapon focus is more valuable in SW Saga because:
Weapon Specialization is better, thanks to burst damage being the order of the day.
There are fewer ways to boost your attack.