PDA

View Full Version : Wizard +Precocious Apprentice + Cerebremancer: Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Mongoose87
2009-08-11, 06:18 PM
So, I'm looking at the Cerebremancer class and, between Precocious Apprentice and a lack of MAD, it seems like it could make for a pretty good path, following Wizard 1/Psion 3. Am I crazy?

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-11, 06:30 PM
It would be better than going Wizard 3/Psion 3, but, it still suffers from the action economy. Unless you've got a decent way to quicken spells or powers, having more doesn't amount to much.

That or you use the wizard spells for utility while being a psion with one less ML, which would probably work out about the same as Psion X/Psionic PrC Y.

erikun
2009-08-11, 06:30 PM
If your DM will allow Precocious Apprentice to count as casting 2nd level spells, sure. It looks good up to level 14, where you'll need to choose between going pure Psion (leaving the Wizard levels behind at 11th level caster) or splitting between Wizard/Psion, giving you Wizard 5/Psion 5/Cerebremancer 10 at level 20.

You'll be able to Epic Cerebremancer once you're over level 20, but will be behind by 5 levels in both classes for the rest of your career.

NEO|Phyte
2009-08-11, 06:33 PM
Depends on whether the DM allows Precocious Apprentice to work for that requirement. Strictly speaking, if you allow PA to count as being able to cast 2nd level spells for PrC access, it should also trigger the part of the feat that 'turns off' the feat's ability to cast the spell early, leaving you with a spell slot you can't actually use until your caster level is high enough to cast 2nd level spells normally.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-11, 06:35 PM
It would be better than going Wizard 3/Psion 3, but, it still suffers from the action economy. Unless you've got a decent way to quicken spells or powers, having more doesn't amount to much.

You mean Schism got taken off the Psion list? When did that happen?

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-11, 06:36 PM

That or you use the wizard spells for utility while being a psion with one less ML, which would probably work out about the same as Psion X/Psionic PrC Y.

Schism/Quicken Power (or both). Wizards don't need their Move action to cast spells all that often.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-11, 06:47 PM
You mean Schism got taken off the Psion list? When did that happen?

For some reason, I thought Schism was closer to a 7th level power, so I initially discounted it for practical purposes of throwing out level appropriate spells and powers.

erikun
2009-08-11, 06:54 PM
For some reason, I thought Schism was closer to a 7th level power, so I initially discounted it for practical purposes of throwing out level appropriate spells and powers.
7th level manifester, not 7th level power. Which may be used on the 7th level of the dungeon, if the level of the level is level appropriate. :smallbiggrin:

Arakune
2009-08-11, 06:55 PM

Schism is a 4th level (Psi 7) telepath power, and 5th level power (Psi 9) with expanded knowledge.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-11, 07:03 PM
Schism is a 4th level (Psi 7) telepath power, and 5th level power (Psi 9) with expanded knowledge.

7th level manifester, not 7th level power. Which may be used on the 7th level of the dungeon, if the level of the level is level appropriate. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, I just realized that I was thinking of Fission. :smallredface: I blame the similarity in the words. :smalltongue: