PDA

View Full Version : Artificer build

DragonKnight
2009-08-12, 12:54 AM
Friend of mine is wanting to have a day of 'pvp', telling me to make a few gestalt builds. Frankly, I want to stomp him, lol. No limitations, other than avoid really bad cheese, namely infinite loops and the like.

Books that are available, pretty much anything. No dragon magazine. Keep to official stuff, I guess. If you tell me a feat or spell, don't worry about page number or any of that, just what book it's in.

Basically, I need a level 20, gestalt artificer build. I'm pretty much going to do the blastificer with wands. Mostly, I'm asking what it should gestalt with. I was looking at factotum maybe, looks nifty. Any insight, spells, or feats that I might not know of would be appreciated.

sofawall
2009-08-12, 01:31 AM
What about the UMD-staff trick?

DragonKnight
2009-08-12, 01:40 AM
I'm not entirely knowledgeable on the topic of artificers, just picked up the book a few days ago. Could you elaborate, please?

oxinabox
2009-08-12, 02:20 AM
What books artificer from?
How about the other side Factotum:
Spend insiration points to make more standard actions in a turn:
Kill unload damage on everything in one round

sofawall
2009-08-12, 02:29 AM
I'm not entirely knowledgeable on the topic of artificers, just picked up the book a few days ago. Could you elaborate, please?

Caster level for a staff is UMD-20. As an Artificer, you can boost that check to ridiculous levels (Insight Bonuses, Enhancement Bonuses, Luck Bonueses, added on to the normal Competence bonuses) gets an enormously high Caster Level for staves. Being an artificer, make a staff with Holy Word or any other of those spells that kill people if you CL is high enough.

Guess what? Your CL is high enough.

What books artificer from?
How about the other side Factotum:
Spend insiration points to make more standard actions in a turn:
Kill unload damage on everything in one round

Artificer is from Eberron Campaign Setting.

Factotum is nice, and always useful on the other side of a Gestalt, especially if you can devote a few feats to Font of Inspiration. It's pretty hilarious what you can pull off.

BobVosh
2009-08-12, 02:45 AM
mmmm expensive cheese, delicious.

Do you know what type of character they prefer? That would be helpful.

Basically some spells to destroy whole staves on (expending extra charges to do various metamagics) would be disintergrate, maw of chaos, and finger of death.

Also mindrape is a beauty.

Things to make sure you have active: true seeing, arcane sight greater, mind blank, some sorta fly, deflection, absorbion, ironguard greater, invisibilty superior.

Deth Muncher
2009-08-12, 03:28 AM
Oh dear sweet Cheesy Beardy gods. An Artificer//Factotum build would be glorious.

Actually, hang on. Artificer//Sorceror might be tasty too. Why? Runestaves. So you can be the ultimate wizard, effectively. See, with Artie, you can use UMD to emulate a spell to make the item have it. Like a Runestaff. So basically? You use your Artificer abilities to get every spell you DON'T know via Sorceror and would like to use. Shazam.

That might not be the MOST optimized version of your build, but it'd be pretty sweet in my opinion.

satorian
2009-08-12, 09:55 AM
Factotum is obviously great for versatility.

I'd pick up the legendary and extraordinary artisan feats. Having those two is a massive boost to an artificer. You also definitely want to be able to dual wield wands.

Query: would a Force Missile Mage//Artificer be able to overcome Shield with the missiles he shoots from his wands?

Also, hiring 200 commoners with level 1 command word ray of enfeeblement wands and initiative boosters you make yourself for supercheap to simultaneously fire off a barrage in the first round might be fun.

DragonKnight
2009-08-12, 09:56 AM
I have a feeling my friend is going to be making a cleric-zilla/fighter. So I'll just make sure to have a few wands or scrolls of dispel magic, and I should be fine.

ritztastic
2009-08-12, 10:13 AM
Cannith Wand Adept is pretty sweet, if you plan on using CL-dependent wands (IE Scorching Ray, my personal favorite, after enervation). It also, if I recall correctly, allows dual-wielding of wands for awesome blasting.

Definitely grab Twin and Split Ray, I should think. Probably Maximize.

Dual wield Twinned Split Ray Maximized Wands of Enervation.

That's, what, 32 negative levels in one volley? Just hope Death Ward's not up.