PDA

View Full Version : A Prototype base class... PEACH (3.5)

Hyooz
2009-08-12, 02:13 AM
During a stretch of time in which my cadre of friends were all homebrewing classes, I decided I should get off my fanny and try my hand at making something of my own. I was also playing Prototype at the time, and thought it would be a nice challenge to design a base class around the main character's abilities. The result of a few revisions and some minor playtesting is what I present to you now.

The Blacklight Warper (http://www.freewebs.com/chughes4/Blacklight%20Warper1.3.pdf)

Enjoy. Or don't. The choice... is yours.

Hyooz
2009-08-12, 03:49 PM
Bump >.<

I really hate bumping my own stuff.

AstralFire
2009-08-12, 03:52 PM
I will take a look very soon, I promise! Am currently making so many tables to examine my own stuff that you'd think my name was IkeaFire. You sent me the link when I was asleep last night.

Fredthefighter
2009-08-12, 04:00 PM
I like the system a lot and the rapid interchange of abilities a character of this class can use is freakin' awesome.

Although if I played this class (to level 20)... (Don't read if you haven't looked at the class yet).
I would use these mutations the most:
Offensive: Either Sword (3), Dancing (2), Finishing Blow (2), Size 3 (3).
or Whip Chain (2), Razor Edge (4), Latch (2), Extended Reach 2 (2).
Defensive: Either Armor (1), Resilient (2), Enriched 5 (5), Sturdy 3 (3)
or Shifting Form (1), Gossamer 5 (5), Supple (1), Shimmering 3 (3).
General: Either Metamind (3), Strengthen (1), Broaden (1), Speed of Thought (3), Deepen (1), Sight (1)
or Clever (2), Knowing (1), Aware (2), Exact (1), Precise 4 (4)
or Cunning (2), Quick (1), Fearsome (3), Savage (2), Terrifying (2).

Hyooz
2009-08-13, 02:25 AM
One more bump.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-13, 02:32 AM
The thing I'm seeing with the class is, at the higher levels, being forced to stick with only one mutation of each type goes against the design of picking and choosing the various abilities. After about 8th-12th level, anyone throwing their points into Blade is forced to just up the size category.

I figure editing stable mutation to allow for earlier augmentation would be the best bet, maybe putting caps on secondary augments.

Averagedog
2009-08-13, 11:12 AM
aside from my other suggestions by PM I think you should make Deathblow only multiply the Unarmed weapon damage. Because the way it's written I am forced to assume that I can quadruple the damage I get from my strength bonus's and power attack.

On another note, you should totally add some of the devastator attacks except have them only be useable when your in adrenaline mode.

as for an example: Maybe do the AOE tentacle stabbity stab attack on all enemies (or any one) around within 60 feet for death blow like damage as a full round action? Maybe even add the wounding property on top of it?

Airman
2009-08-13, 01:21 PM
A bit strong in some places, Full BAB, better AC Bonus then monk, Disguise Self at will at level 1.

I dunno, maybe its me, maybe its the first glance, seems pretty strong.

DracoDei
2009-08-14, 03:14 AM
With no Wis Mod to AC the AC bonus is NOT better than the monks.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-14, 10:08 AM
A bit strong in some places, Full BAB, better AC Bonus then monk, Disguise Self at will at level 1.

I dunno, maybe its me, maybe its the first glance, seems pretty strong.

It probably is stronger than a monk, if you were to go for an all out slugfest, but that doesn't make it a bad class.

As DracoDei mentioned, the fact that it lacks an ability score connection to the AC does hurt it. The bonus listed is also as a natural armor increase, which ain't helping him when it comes to touch attacks.

Also, Changelings get disguise self at will at first level as a racial feature. It's a nice touch and gives the class options other than whacking things all day with crazy looking body parts.

The one thing that I feel should be dropped from the class features list is Superior Unarmed Strike. Of course anyone taking the class will eventually take the feat, but gaining it at 3rd level just feels kind of off. Also, RAW, it would calculate you as a non-monk for damage progression, but a quick tag in the class fixes that issue.

Adrenaline Surge probably also needs work. It's a very nice and interesting class feature, it's just kind of hard to get access to without hurting. Having some minor option within the class itself to get temp HP, probably as a general mutation might work.

AstralFire
2009-08-14, 10:46 AM
AstralThoughts:
- No profession as a class skill?

I would make Disguise Self a (Su). I would say (Ex), but the mutations do appear to be preternatural; however, it shouldn't provoke an attack of opportunity. Plus (Su) is always cooler.

Among its other unique properties, your body has the unique ability to store magic. This effectively allows the Blacklight Warper to enhance his unarmed attacks as a warrior would enhance his broadsword. Adding enhancements to your unarmed attacks requires special materials that cost as much as a scimitar with the desired enhancements. You may release enhancements at-will, for free, returning your unarmed attacks to ordinary, non-magical attacks.

You don't state how long this takes to do, whether or not it requires outside aid, and is there a particular reason you said 'broadsword' in one, then 'scimitar' in the other?

Your body’s natural adrenaline is of more use to you than most. With your mutagenic abilities, the surge of power granted by being in desperate straits can turn the tides of a desperate battle, and keep you fighting just a little longer. If an attack would bring you to less than zero hit points, your adrenaline kicks in. You go to -11 hit points, and may act during your next turn before falling unconscious or dead (depending on if you are brought lower by other attacks.)

Er, what's the dead point for your game? I'm guessing it's not -10.

You should repeat what levels you get which abilities for Adrenaline Rush in the text. And it's not clear if you get all of the previous abilities, or just the newest one.

- Claws seems pretty weak, at 1 point for 1 damage, and the lackluster TWF chain. You should not have to spend 6 points for those feats; I would make it two points to autoscale. This makes it better than TWF, but TWF is weak.
- Whip Chain can have some good uses for a Power Attacker. Since it disallowed TWF, make it count as THF.
- Musclemass could be pretty good.
- Same for Hammerfist.
- I would allow Blade to work with TWF, maybe with a Claw augment.
- Shield looks good.
- Does Enrich include pure armor enhancements only, or 'effective enhancement bonuses'? I would suggest just the former, because they can get the rest with an enchanted vestment.
- Gossamer Form puts armor to -shame-. I'm not sure it's overpowered, but it's way, way better.
- Resilient Form is almost certainly OP.

Dark-Lord
2009-08-14, 11:54 AM
The Mechanics seem.... interesting to say the least, but what is the class background, you know what Alignment is most common, what race, what exactly is this thing! And where does the blacklight part come in?
It sounds cool but what does it mean?
I do love the mutations though.
A very interesting idea that deserves some use.

Hyooz
2009-08-16, 03:58 PM
The Mechanics seem.... interesting to say the least, but what is the class background, you know what Alignment is most common, what race, what exactly is this thing! And where does the blacklight part come in?
It sounds cool but what does it mean?
I do love the mutations though.
A very interesting idea that deserves some use.

I'll answer this quick before I start making actual mechanical changes. You'll have to forgive me as I've been without internet for some time.

This class is based on the main character from the game Prototype. Blacklight is the name of the virus he is infected with that allows him to do all these bizarre things with his body, so it's just a call back to the game. I'll be adding in all the background info as time goes on. I've been fairly busy lately, so these things tend to fall on the back burner.