PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/Pathfinder-ish] The Luckiest Bastard

Fax Celestis
2009-08-12, 11:05 AM
While I'm looking at making a decent crossbow fighter (here), I'm also looking at making a bard. Why? Well, I've never played a bard.

I figure as long as I'm going to play a bard, I might as well look into playing an archetype I've always wanted to play: the lucky bastard. I plan on burning most of my feats on [Luck] feats from CScn, taking the Fortune's Friend PrC, and focusing my spell list onto stuff that saves my butt (like ruin delver's fortune and alter fate).

It's this last bit I'm having trouble with. Spell recommendations?

olelia
2009-08-12, 11:06 AM
Books allowed, any homerules we should be aware of?

Mongoose87
2009-08-12, 11:07 AM
Well, don't forget Glibness :smallwink:

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-12, 11:10 AM
Books allowed, any homerules we should be aware of?

Same as in the other thread, I would assume.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-12, 11:43 AM
Same as in the other thread, I would assume.

Yup. Pretty much any 3.5 or pathfinder, plus Monte Cook's Book of Experimental Might II.

mcl01
2009-08-12, 11:47 AM
As a bard, you do have access to fatespinner, though late in your career. It works well thematically.

Epinephrine
2009-08-12, 11:53 AM
Cheat
Improvization
Insight of Good Fortune
Unluck

Fax Celestis
2009-08-12, 12:16 PM
Actually, is Fortune's Friend worth it? I'll be taking a LOT of [Luck] feats (which it will significantly augment), but it's 2 CL loss.

Epinephrine
2009-08-12, 12:21 PM
Actually, is Fortune's Friend worth it? I'll be taking a LOT of [Luck] feats (which it will significantly augment), but it's 2 CL loss.

I couldn't justify it when I waas building a bard.

Another class I had looked at was the halfing Luckstealer, but couldn't justify the lack of bard progression and the 3 caster levels lost.

Items can also add to the feeling; there are several reroll-type items, and things that support the bard as the "always ready" type.

A warning weapon, combined with Improved Initiative and Shock and Awe (-10 initiative for enemies)can make you a favourite in the party (as can dipping Marshal for the Motivate Dexterity aura). This can easily get you a +15 or more initiative (much of it for the group), and can drop the enemies by 10, giving your team a solid initiative edge.

Some cheap items:
Armbands of Elusive action can prevent an AoO,
The various Chronocharms,
Third Eye Dampening can reduce the effects of a spell to the minimum (whew, that was lucky!)
Amulet of Fortune Prevailing for a rerolled save 1/day,
Amulet of Emergency Healing can be nice, and may seem "lucky" to others,
Charm of Countersong can make your Countersong ability actually useful, instead of needing to plan to use it
Deathguardian Bracers let you trade an arcane spell for DR as an immediate action, which could be a little like luck

Fax Celestis
2009-08-12, 12:27 PM
I couldn't justify it.

Another class I had looked at was the halfing Luckstealer, but couldn't justify the lack of bard progression and the 3 caster levels lost.

Frankly, I don't really care about Bardic Music. If I could, I'd replace bardic music with something else, but I don't think there's an ACF for bardic music: either bits of it, or for other bard abilities. Mostly, I want the spells, so if there's an alternative way to get bard spells, I'd jump on that.

Cieyrin
2009-08-12, 01:00 PM
Getting access to Luck doman by way of going Temple Raider of Olidamarra probably wouldn't be out of line, either.

Kaiyanwang
2009-08-12, 01:01 PM
Frankly, I don't really care about Bardic Music.

The Fool flaw from Dragon Magazine makes you lose the inspire courage, inspire competence, inspire greatness, and inspire heroics bardic music abilities, for a bonus feat.

But even if the bonus feat would be 100, I suggest you to give bardic music a chance. I used to think it sucked, until I've seen it at play. If the player have the right mindset, improves the fun at table greatly bot for RP and for mechanics.

We have now a Bard // Hexblade with the Dark Familiar ACF. It's flavourful (it's a Spellscale, something like a Glam Heavy Metal Guitarist) and DF + IC raises the group effectiveness of a lot.

FMArthur
2009-08-12, 09:57 PM
Frankly, I don't really care about Bardic Music. If I could, I'd replace bardic music with something else, but I don't think there's an ACF for bardic music: either bits of it, or for other bard abilities. Mostly, I want the spells, so if there's an alternative way to get bard spells, I'd jump on that.

The Chameleon prestige class from Races of Destiny can cast bard spells at lower levels than a bard, uses your Int stat, and is a prepared caster. It can also do other things. Plus whatever you used for levels 1-5 to qualify.