PDA

View Full Version : MnM Build Help: The Wounded Soldier

Demons_eye
2009-08-12, 11:21 AM
OK once again I am making a power level 10 hero for mutants and masterminds 2e. This time the idea for the guy is that he is a failed U.S. Super Soldier program test subject.

As subject I gained boosted ability skills and regeneration to the superhuman level but they could not control when to use it and when not to. There cells regrew from fights and what not and soon they died from cell's that regenerated to much and could not replicate anymore. Subject II had a higher increase in ability and could to a limited degree control when the power would happen but had the same regrowth problem and died 2 years into the program.

Subject III (The Hero) has the greatest increase in power and in control but has to a limited existent the same problem as his predecessors. If he uses his power at all depending on how long he suffers when the boost ends from nausea to death. After using his power for 5 minutes he has to make a con check every round afterword to keep the boosted ability and after the power ends he has to make a check equal to his power level times two or die( or some thing like 15 plus rounds spent after 5 minutes).

So how would you stat this guy? I would think just boosting boost ranks to like 20 when it cost 5 points per rank and also see if its ok with the GM if I can get some powers like leaping or some thing else combat related. Witch leaves me with 50 points for stats skills and feats.

OR

I could use the transformation with some crazy minuses to the use of it and pump its ranks.

Any hints/help? Thanks in advance

Edit: I only have the core book but any source is ok

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-12, 11:23 AM
Gah. Boost. Hate Boost as a power except in the most limited circumstances.

I would suggest putting the superpowers into an active Container with a Side-Effect flaw.

Demons_eye
2009-08-12, 11:28 AM
I am sorry but I don't follow

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-12, 11:30 AM
Basically, create an "Alternate Form" that you can keep for only some time before requiring a Side-Effect. The Side-Effect would be a -1 Flaw at best, due to being on an Alternate Form.

Demons_eye
2009-08-12, 11:35 AM
Ok that makes sense, I was just confused about the active Container part.

Any other suggestions?

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-12, 11:37 AM
Active Container is a term from Ultimate Power. Container is the power structure that Alternate Form is based on.

Hyfigh
2009-08-12, 11:50 AM
To me it sounds like, mechanically, Boost would be OK.

Alternatively, you could just give him the Regenerate power and make it sustained. This would reflect the fact that he seems to need to focus on it to make it happen.

I would then link it to something like a Con Drain, or something similar. Just make it self only, and set an appropriate save (maybe Fort?) to it.

This set up would:
Make Subject III force himself to regenerate.
Whenever he activates his regenerate ability, he has to succeed a save to prevent something bad from happening.

GoatToucher
2009-08-12, 01:18 PM
If we are talking about ability boosts and regeneration (and stuff like leaping, increased saves, etc) make it an Alternate Form with the Side Effect Flaw.

If you want to make it a limited duration, apply Fades (-1) and Total Fade (+1) for a net cost of +0 (seeing as you end up with a loss of power, you might see if your GM will float you some Drawback Points to get the Slow Fade power Feat to extend your power's duration).

Otherwise, Flaw all your powers and stat boosts with Sustained Duration (-1 to cost for stats, saves, and regen) which will make your AF a Sustained Duration power. You get your bell rung and lose your concentration; the power boost turns off. If you activate it again, you get hit with the Side Effect again.

Arakune
2009-08-12, 04:43 PM
Subject III (The Hero) has the greatest increase in power and in control but has to a limited existent the same problem as his predecessors. If he uses his power at all depending on how long he suffers when the boost ends from nausea to death. After using his power for 5 minutes he has to make a con check every round afterword to keep the boosted ability and after the power ends he has to make a check equal to his power level times two or die( or some thing like 15 plus rounds spent after 5 minutes).

The save-or-die check is probably a drawback, since 5 min. is just too long for a fight (when you will likely want to use it).

You will get a power that doesn't cost much, I guess.
It's better if your boost doesn't break the PL.

Demons_eye
2009-08-12, 06:07 PM
The draw back is even if he used it for 6 seconds (A round) he would be Sickened, 3 rounds maybe Nauseated, 6 Sickend and Fatigued, 12 Nauseated and Exhausted, 24 Unconscious, 50 Dying. Its is spose to get worse the longer he uses it. Using it with less then 2 hours cool down in batween fights counts towards his total time used.

Arakune
2009-08-12, 06:32 PM
The draw back is even if he used it for 6 seconds (A round) he would be Sickened, 3 rounds maybe Nauseated, 6 Sickend and Fatigued, 12 Nauseated and Exhausted, 24 Unconscious, 50 Dying. Its is spose to get worse the longer he uses it. Using it with less then 2 hours cool down in batween fights counts towards his total time used.

Try to get a Unreliable and Side-effect that work at the same time.

Hyfigh
2009-08-13, 08:58 AM
Perhaps I misunderstood what you were looking for. Is the 'damage' that the regeneration does to Soldier III permanent, or is it something that is later sloughed off after he quits using the ability?

Sustained still definitely sounds like the way you want to run the regeneration itself.

I change my input from being a drain con power to being a complication of the same power linked to the regeneration. That way you're not paying for a power the power that hurts you, but gaining a few pp for it.

My opinion may change with your clarification.

If it is something that he can sloughed off, and you want it to work as you mentioned (fatigue symptoms) it will become a little more complicated, but not impossible.

First you need to decide whether you want the character to have a save vs the effect (duh)...

Then have the regeneration linked to the Nauseated power as a complication. Have a complication linked to the Nauseated that says if the character reaches a certain state inflicted by Nauseated he begins experiencing Fatigue power effects. Another complication (I told you it would be more complicated) this time linked to Fatigue where he either starts taking damage of some kind, ability damage or just needs to make toughness checks against a DC you designate, when he reaches a certain state of Fatigue (likely still suffering from Nausea as well), or insert-your-choice-of-bad-things-here.