PDA

View Full Version : Need help Creating a class

Trodon
2009-08-12, 03:04 PM
Well I am going to make a D&D 3.5 class this is what I need help on I don't know what kind of class I want yet, base, PRC, arcane, divine, martial, psionic? I don't know this is where I need help help me make a class please.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-12, 03:13 PM
You could make a ninja base class or Prc.
Maybe a psionic summoner?

vampire2948
2009-08-12, 03:38 PM
You could make a ninja base class or Prc.
Maybe a psionic summoner?

Ninja base class already exists. As does a psionic summoner, they're called Shapers.

Get an idea, then we can help you. :smallsmile:

Strawman
2009-08-12, 04:19 PM
Imagine something awesome, post it, and we'll help refine it.

Trodon
2009-08-12, 04:23 PM
Alright give me a while and I'll think of something.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-12, 04:27 PM
Well I am going to make a D&D 3.5 class this is what I need help on I don't know what kind of class I want yet, base, PRC, arcane, divine, martial, psionic? I don't know this is where I need help help me make a class please.

Sadly, this is the part we can't really help with. I can suggest, for example, a Divine PrC, but than can be anything from the Sybil of the Blinded Eye, a fallen diviner (to plug my own work) to the Knight of the Seven Stars, a devoted champion of the celestial realms, to the Fivefold Ascendant, a half-dragon disciple of Tiamat. All are divine PrCs. See the problem?

We need at least something to work with. What are you making this class for? What do you want to see from it? Give us a theme (more specific than arcane PrC) and we'll give you variations on it. :smallbiggrin:

Trodon
2009-08-12, 04:29 PM
What are you making this class for?

I'm making it because I am bored, and a very good point this is my first time trying to make a class.:smallredface:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-12, 04:31 PM
I'm making it because I am bored, and a very good point this is my first time trying to make a class.:smallredface:

Hey, no problem! And boredom is a very good reason.

If you're stuck for idea, look back through the archives of the PrC contest, and try your hand at one of those themes. They're great for little "I'm bored" exercises.

vampire2948
2009-08-12, 04:44 PM
Do you have a favourite base class? Perhaps we can work out something based on your favourite parts of your favourite base class?

Either by making a variant of that class, or a PrC for it.

Trodon
2009-08-12, 04:50 PM
Alright I've got it a Volcanic themed Ranger/Druid Prc. Is there a volcanic templet for animals?

Trodon
2009-08-12, 04:52 PM
Well I have to go for a while I was thinking a 5 level Prc see ya all later.

vampire2948
2009-08-12, 04:52 PM
Alright I've got it a Volcanic themed Ranger/Druid Prc. Is there a volcanic templet for animals?

Well, there's a half-elemental [fire] template... but that can only be applied to creatures with int of 4 or higher.

That gives fire and disease immunity, and if it has 8 or more wis / int then it gets spell-like abilities. Fire related, of course.

EDIT - There's also a template for a Fire Elemental Creature. Which is a Fire Plane version of a regular creature. That gives fire damage on hits, and DR at 8+ HD. Some immunities too... and stuff can catch fire by touching it.

EDIT 2 - There's a similar thing for a Magma Elemental Creature. Which is similar, but slightly different stats.

Fire and Magma Elemental Creatures can be found in Manual of the Planes and Dragon Magazine 347, respectively.

Xallace
2009-08-12, 04:56 PM
Volcanic-themed Ranger/Druid PrC?

First thing to come to mind is protection against heat dangers and summoning creatures made out of lava (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "Volcanic Template?").

I think some fun could be had if it were more cleric-y, because then you'd have some tasty "sacrifice to the volcano god!" flavor.

vampire2948
2009-08-12, 05:03 PM
Hmm... do you have the Faiths of Eberron book? I'm sure there's a fire plane somewhere in that setting. Planar Shepherd give you some good ideas for bonuses if you're stuck. They link to various planes and then gain bonuses based on the traits of that plane.

Trodon
2009-08-12, 07:16 PM
EDIT - There's also a template for a Fire Elemental Creature. Which is a Fire Plane version of a regular creature. That gives fire damage on hits, and DR at 8+ HD. Some immunities too... and stuff can catch fire by touching it.

EDIT 2 - There's a similar thing for a Magma Elemental Creature. Which is similar, but slightly different stats.

Fire and Magma Elemental Creatures can be found in Manual of the Planes and Dragon Magazine 347, respectively.

I'm trying to find the Magma Elemental Creature templet.

First thing to come to mind is protection against heat dangers and summoning creatures made out of lava (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "Volcanic Template?").

Kind of I mean at 1st or 2nd level your animal companion gain the Magma or fire elemental templet.

Hmm... do you have the Faiths of Eberron book?

No I don't think so.

Xallace
2009-08-12, 07:37 PM
Planar Shepherd give you some good ideas for bonuses if you're stuck.

No offense meant to you, Sir Vampire, but I don't believe the Planar Shepard should be used as a basis for anything. Painfully broken class, that one.

Kind of I mean at 1st or 2nd level your animal companion gain the Magma or fire elemental templet.

Oh. Having a lava beast following you around sounds creepy. Awesome, but creepy. I think you oughta be able to create magma beasts with your summons though.

How about a "Volcanic Form" (or more flavorful name) where you take on aspects of the volcano? I think you'd have to make it kind-of like Rage, or even take some inspiration from the (admittedly poorly done) Berserker Strength in PHBII. Ooh, or like Lycanthropy! When you take too much damage you have to make a Save/Skill Check or totally "erupt" into Volcano God Avatar Mode.

Trodon
2009-08-12, 07:51 PM
Ooh, or like Lycanthropy! When you take too much damage you have to make a Save/Skill Check or totally "erupt" into Volcano God Avatar Mode.

That sounds so bada** but it seems more like a Rage substitution than a wild shape think but that may just be me.

Edit: Alright I want to try to make this as a ranger Prc.

Xallace
2009-08-12, 09:08 PM
Edit: Alright I want to try to make this as a ranger Prc.

OK, so what is it about the ranger that you want to focus on? What will make this a RANGER PrC rather than a "Nature-y guy" PrC or a "Weaponer PrC?"

Owrtho
2009-08-12, 09:20 PM
Given they said it would be a ranger/druid PRC and they mentioned giving a template to the animal companions, I think it is likely to be more of an 'animal companion' PRC.

Owrtho