PDA

View Full Version : weapon and armor building help (3.5)

Silvarelion
2009-08-12, 03:39 PM
My DM keeps throwing items at me with a + to hit or a + to confirming crits. He swears he his building them using the item rules in the DMG, but I haven't been able to find the right type of stat this would be to build my own and price them out.

What stat would you use to build these, and how much would they cost per point in either +hit or +crit?

Thanks for any help.

kamikasei
2009-08-12, 03:42 PM
What exactly are they?

A bonus to hit (and damage) is just an enhancement bonus. Keen expands the critical threat range, though it doesn't boost confirmation rolls.

Elfin
2009-08-12, 03:44 PM
A normal +x weapon has +x to hit and +x to damage; one that has only +x to hit is obviously worth a lot less. As for the critical bonuses, there's a weapon special ability called Keen, which doubles a weapons crit range; however, there's nothing which increases your attack to confirm a crit (at least in core).
I wouldn't give your DM a hard time about it, though; they have the right to create their own magic items.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-12, 03:45 PM
The only thing I can think of that increases a weapon's confirmation rolls is Solarian Truesteel from BoED. Could your DM be using that, or is he only using the DMG?

Silvarelion
2009-08-12, 03:57 PM
It's doubtful he's using anything iike Solarian Truesteel, especially since I have it on a bow, right now. Before, I had a pair of gloves that gave +4 bonus to all of my attack rolls.

Keld Denar
2009-08-12, 04:05 PM
Pitspawned, DMGII special material, gives a +2 on attack rolls to confirm criticals as well. It also synergizes with the Keen enchantment, making it cheaper than normal to upgrade a pitspawned weapon with Keen.

EDIT: Why do you care? Gear is gear. Game is game. As I DM, I make stuff up all the time. Most of it I have no idea how to price. Its called DM Fiat, or Rule 0, which manifests itself in the Rule of Cool (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool), among other things. DM has the final say in anything. If hes giving you too little gear and using too hard of challenges, talk to him. If he's giving you too much gear and you don't feel like anything is a challenge, talk to him. Otherwise, just ride it out and have fun!

ericgrau
2009-08-12, 11:37 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm

That's the basics. Other books may also have other weapon & armor abilities you can use too. If your DM likes to just make something up or you just make something up (which the DM approves), then just compare it to similarly powered abilities when setting a price.

Silvarelion
2009-08-13, 12:51 AM
Keld: I'm just curious as to how he does it. I know it's all based in the RAW, I just haven't managed to sit him down and get him to tell me exactly what it is. Pretty much, it's just so I know what to ask for, later on, and who much, roughly, it would cost.