PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Deadly, deadly pepper grinder

Rixx
2009-08-12, 06:39 PM
EDIT: Not as deadly as I thought due to skimming over the rules too quickly. Still, amusing.

While browsing the Pathfinder SRD, I came across the interesting feat "Caught Off-Guard".

"You do not suffer any penalties for using an improvised melee weapon. Unarmed opponents are flat-footed to any attacks you make with an improvised melee weapon."

Your opponents are always flat-footed against improvised weapons? That means if you're a Rogue with the Caught Off-Guard feat, and you carried a restaurant-style pepper grinder with you, you could always get your sneak attack damage with it.

But it goes a step further than that: If you take the feat "Razor Sharp Chair Leg", you can turn any improvised wepaon into a deadly weapon.

"You do not suffer any penalties for using an improvised weapon. Increase the amount of damage dealt by the improvised weapon by one step (for example, 1d4 becomes 1d6) to a maximum of 1d8 (2d6 if the improvised weapon is two-handed). The improvised weapon has a critical threat range of 19–20, with a critical multiplier of ×2."

You can weild a restaurant-style pepper grinder as a 1d6 deadly weapon, and always get your sneak attack damage every time you hit with it. In addition, it's easier to hit your opponents, since they're always considered flat-footed.

My DM would never allow this in a serious campaign.

A non-serious one, though, that'd be something.

arguskos
2009-08-12, 06:43 PM
Note that it specifies "unarmed opponents" are always flat-footed. Just sayin'. :smallwink:

Fax Celestis
2009-08-12, 06:43 PM
"You do not suffer any penalties for using an improvised melee weapon. Unarmed opponents are flat-footed to any attacks you make with an improvised melee weapon."

UNARMED means "I don't have Improved Unarmed Strike, a touch spell, or a weapon in hand."

Basically, it lets you add your sneak dice if you start a bar room brawl. Once. And then everyone else is going to applaud because you just knocked out Jimmy Kimmel with a pool cue.

Rixx
2009-08-12, 06:45 PM
Oh! I thought I read over that a bit too quickly.

Still, amusing concept.

Hawriel
2009-08-12, 08:15 PM
UNARMED means "I don't have Improved Unarmed Strike, a touch spell, or a weapon in hand."

Basically, it lets you add your sneak dice if you start a bar room brawl. Once. And then everyone else is going to applaud because you just knocked out Jimmy Kimmel with a pool cue.

Dont forget natual weapons such as claws.

This feat is rather over powered. At best you should be considered armed with no attack penalty.

arguskos
2009-08-12, 08:35 PM
This feat is rather over powered. At best you should be considered armed with no attack penalty.
Overpowered?! How is this overpowered? It means that someone who can't defend themselves is flat-footed to you. That's actually amazingly weak.

Thane of Fife
2009-08-12, 08:49 PM
Imagine a Rogue played like a lion-tamer, with a whip in one hand and a chair in the other. Disarm them with the whip, then smash your now flat-footed adversary with the chair for sneak attack damage!

arguskos
2009-08-12, 08:51 PM
And if you can't disarm them? Lions can't be disarmed, much less most demons/devils/dragons/scary monsters.

Really, this feat is good for a dual-wielding disarming Rogue who mostly fights humanoids with weapons. What about this screams overpowered? :smallwink:

Thane of Fife
2009-08-12, 09:14 PM
And if you can't disarm them? Lions can't be disarmed, much less most demons/devils/dragons/scary monsters.

Really, this feat is good for a dual-wielding disarming Rogue who mostly fights humanoids with weapons. What about this screams overpowered? :smallwink:

I wasn't suggesting overpowered, merely very cool, if ineffective against lions.

ericgrau
2009-08-12, 10:10 PM
I think with a bit of improved disarm this could still be handy.

arguskos
2009-08-12, 10:46 PM
I wasn't suggesting overpowered, merely very cool, if ineffective against lions.
Ironic no? The Lion Tamer is weakest against Lions. :smallbiggrin:

Also, sorry for a bit of snappishness, I thought you might be defending it as overpowered, which is silly. It IS a very cool feat though, one I personally think is a great idea. It's flavorful, moderately powerful, and decent enough to incorporate into a build.

Skorj
2009-08-13, 12:00 AM
Ironic no? The Lion Tamer is weakest against Lions. :smallbiggrin:

Ah ha! Now we know why he's adventuring. Instant backstory. :biggrin:

Project_Mayhem
2009-08-13, 10:50 AM
Ah ha! Now we know why he's adventuring. Instant backstory. :biggrin:

Winwinwinwin

Kurald Galain
2009-08-13, 11:01 AM
This would be why Rorschach is so f'king effective.

(aside from that, they strike me as pretty silly names for feats...)

Cieyrin
2009-08-13, 11:55 AM
I'm fine with the idea of having a feat called Razor Sharp Chair Leg in my arsenal. It's all about the surprise of getting owned by the ex-lion tamer (who is unfortunately a bit gimped by not being able to pull of his trick w/o provoking an AOO w/ his whip disarm).

Rixx
2009-08-13, 01:43 PM
Well, if disarming people was a huge part of his strategy, I'd assume Improved Disarm would be in there too.

chiasaur11
2009-08-13, 04:01 PM
This would be why Rorschach is so f'king effective.

(aside from that, they strike me as pretty silly names for feats...)

So, does that mean Ozymandus has Improved Unarmed Strike?

Yora
2009-08-13, 04:21 PM
He will kill you. With a soup cup.

Rixx
2009-08-13, 04:22 PM
This campaign is afraid of me. I have seen its character sheet. The towns are extended dungeons and the dungeons are full of grinding and when the drains finally scab over, all the monsters will drown. The accumulated filth of all their metagaming and optimization will foam up about their waists and all the munchkins and scrubs will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No saving throw."

arguskos
2009-08-13, 04:23 PM
He will kill you. With a soup cup.
"You'll what? Kill me? With a soup cup?!"
"Tea, actually."
"Wazzat?"
"I'll kill you with my tea cup."
*awesome ensues*

Love that sequence.

This campaign is afraid of me. I have seen its character sheet. The towns are extended dungeons and the dungeons are full of grinding and when the drains finally scab over, all the monsters will drown. The accumulated filth of all their metagaming and optimization will foam up about their waists and all the munchkins and scrubs will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "Roll for initiative."
Fixed that for ya. I like this version better. :smallwink:

Cieyrin
2009-08-13, 04:44 PM
Well, if disarming people was a huge part of his strategy, I'd assume Improved Disarm would be in there too.

It's not the disarm i was concerned about for the AOO, the whip provokes like a ranged weapon.

Kurald Galain
2009-08-13, 04:46 PM
So, does that mean Ozymandus has Improved Unarmed Strike?

More like Ray Deflection, and Expert Disarm, and Supreme Initiative :smallbiggrin:

AslanCross
2009-08-13, 04:56 PM
This campaign is afraid of me. I have seen its character sheet. The towns are extended dungeons and the dungeons are full of grinding and when the drains finally scab over, all the monsters will drown. The accumulated filth of all their metagaming and optimization will foam up about their waists and all the munchkins and scrubs will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No saving throw."

You receive one and a half Internets for this. :smallbiggrin: