PDA

View Full Version : Seeing through magical fog?

Brock Samson
2009-08-12, 07:41 PM
Last session my group and I entered a tower and set off a Guards and Wards, and now virtually everyone can't see anything. I have 30ft blindsight, but everyone else is pretty much just screwed. Are there any magical items/spells to see through magical fog? (the latter being more pertinent, the former being something we should all go out and purchase as soon as we get a chance).

erikun
2009-08-12, 07:58 PM
Blindsense, Tremorsense

Synesthete (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm) psionic power ("see sound")

Gust of Wind, depending on the type of fog

olentu
2009-08-12, 08:04 PM
Well as for items I seem to remember a cloak form the far corners of the world web articles that keeps fog and such from blocking the wearers sight. Let me see if I can dig that up.

Edit: Here we go http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050311a

Also the blindfold of true darkness or whatever it was called from the magic item compendium.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-08-12, 08:48 PM
Dispel the magical fog as per the description of the Guards and Wards spell.

Thurbane
2009-08-12, 09:32 PM
Ring of X-Ray vision? May be a bit of overkill...

ericgrau
2009-08-12, 09:34 PM
Dispel or gust of wind.

JeenLeen
2009-08-13, 07:43 AM
My DM said True Seeing sees through fog. True Seeing + Freedom of Movement (can move through unhindered) essentially negating any fog's non-damaging aspects.

Edit: He said it as an official (RAW) ruling, but I hadn't seen that myself anywhere.

Yora
2009-08-13, 08:11 AM
If the fog is an illusion, True Seeing would let you see through it.
If the fog is a conjuration or transmutation, it would not. Because the fog is really there.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-08-13, 09:49 AM
My DM said True Seeing sees through fog. True Seeing + Freedom of Movement (can move through unhindered) essentially negating any fog's non-damaging aspects.

Edit: He said it as an official (RAW) ruling, but I hadn't seen that myself anywhere.

The RAW of the True Seeing spell description says specifically that the spell does not let you see through fog.

kemmotar
2009-08-13, 09:56 AM
I'd agree with dispersion via a wind spell, or perhaps destroying whatever created the magical fog...You must remember that the guards probably have the same disadvantage as you. If not, then once you kill a few, some of them should at least have some kind of item that helps them see through that fog. Or else it would be pointless as the guards must have the advantage over the intruders...

At least that's probably what's going on...if the DM is feeling evil he might say that a cleric or wizard cast the spell on each guard...in which case destroying the wards (which would probably regenerate the fog if you dispersed it) might be the way to go...

Brock Samson
2009-08-14, 05:34 PM
We've tried to Greater Dispel the fog, 4 times, to no avail (high caster whoever did it). True seeing specifically doesn't see through fogs. And as of yet it seems there's only one occupant in the tower, so he's gonna be crazy-hard to find. I did notice Dragon Sight (I believe) in the Spell compendium. Darkvision 10ft/caster level (not helpful here) but Blindsense 5ft/caster level (yay!). So that's helpful at least.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-15, 04:44 PM
Summon(Nature's Ally, Monster, or Elemental) for an Air Elemental. Use Whirlwind. That should deal with the fog.

Keld Denar
2009-08-15, 06:26 PM
AMF should suppress the G&W effects around you, if you really want to go that far.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-15, 06:31 PM
AMF should suppress the G&W effects around you, if you really want to go that far.
I can't see that helping too much. Sure, it'll give you clear vision -- but only to its 10' radius. Might be some help in tiny rooms and narrow corridors, I suppose.

Keld Denar
2009-08-15, 06:42 PM
Never said it was the best of options, but in a pinch, it world work! It would also supress any magical traps that happen to be lurking in the fog. OP said he wanted to see, never said how far!

Curmudgeon
2009-08-15, 07:03 PM
Yeah, unless there's a store that has rush (1 round) delivery on a Cloud Cloak, it's pretty tough to see through fog.

Sendal
2009-08-15, 09:33 PM
blindsight is the way to go. Basicly means you can see when you can't see.

Listening lorecall spell grants blindsight if target has 10 ranks in listen.

sofawall
2009-08-15, 11:01 PM
Doesn't Listening Lorecall suck now? I was under that impression.

Sendal
2009-08-16, 11:19 AM
if you want to be able to see through fog and happen to have 10 ranks in listen, its the perfect spell.

It might be a little specific for general use, but for the right character in this situation it might be just what he needs.

Unless you can think of a spell that does the same thing at the same spell level without requiring the listen ranks, I don't see why it sucks in this situation.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-16, 11:46 AM
Listening Lorecall with 10 ranks of Listen gives blindsense 30', which means a 50% miss chance against everything. But 2 more ranks of Listen also gives blindsight 15', which means effective melee combat. Big difference for a couple of skill ranks.