PDA

View Full Version : Help vs. Force Damage

Brock Samson
2009-08-12, 07:43 PM
Besides becoming a force Dragon (which the DM has ruled out), is there any spell/item/whatever way to ignore/avoid/reduce force damage? Besides shield, the obvious magic missle answer. Things like Blade Barrier and Orb and Force and such.

Irreverent Fool
2009-08-12, 07:46 PM
Aside from derivatives of Amethyst Dragons, I don't know of any way to become immune to force damage. That's kind of the whole point of force damage.

obnoxious
sig

olentu
2009-08-12, 07:47 PM
There is the forceward spell. I think it is in the spell compendium.

Brock Samson
2009-08-12, 07:50 PM
I'll go check the spell compendium. Are amethyst dragons in the MM1 or somewhere else? We just can't shapechange into force dragons because they're epic monsters.

olentu
2009-08-12, 07:55 PM
I remember gem dragons in the MM2 but they might be elsewhere.

Irreverent Fool
2009-08-12, 07:57 PM
I think Amethyst Dragons -are- force dragons.

obnoxious
sig

Hawriel
2009-08-12, 08:00 PM
I have a radical Idea....

Make your own spell or magic item that protects you from force damage. With GM aproval/cooperation of corse.

Irreverent Fool
2009-08-12, 08:09 PM
I have a radical Idea....

Make your own spell or magic item that protects you from force damage. With GM aproval/cooperation of corse.

I imagine OP is aware of that option. It seems he's looking for an 'official' option to help him out. No need to be snippy.

obnoxious
sig

Korivan
2009-08-12, 08:55 PM
The Path of Magic. Forceweaver becomes immune to force effects. But they can also trade the energy descripter of any spell with force and add up to 4 points of damage per dice of the spell. Using a Force theme sorcerer with this PrC kinda helps out the idea of a blaster caster. They have a couple more abilities but those three are the big ones.

quick_comment
2009-08-12, 09:06 PM
Forceward is in the spell compendium and some faerun book. Its basically AMF for force effects. Also shunts out incorporeal creatures.

The argent savant prc in complete arcane also takes less damage from force effects I think

Thurbane
2009-08-12, 09:31 PM
Not that it helps, but the Force Golem also has resistance to force effects...

AstralFire
2009-08-12, 09:39 PM
I hear Ysalamiri he-

Oh, wrong thread. :smallredface:

Douglas
2009-08-12, 09:47 PM
There's a 9th level spell in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting book that gives immunity (and reflects it back at the source as a bonus) to damage of one energy type, and force is in the list to choose from.

Nothing says "screw you" to an absurdly metamagiced Orb of Force quite like converting it to sacred or profane damage and returning it to sender, postage due, all without even taking an action in combat to do it.

Darrin
2009-08-12, 10:09 PM
Not that it helps, but the Force Golem also has resistance to force effects...

Nope. Their Immunity to Magic doesn't apply to Force effects, and they take +50% damage from Force effects.

You can gain Force resistance via feats, but it's expensive for non-Sorcerers: Dragontouched (requires Charisma 13 or a dip into Dragonfire Adept) + Draconic Heritage + Draconic Resistance.

Brock Samson
2009-08-14, 05:36 PM
Forceward it'll be then.

Question: if you shapechange into another type of golem and are hit with any force effect that's not conjuration, are you immune?

Keld Denar
2009-08-14, 06:01 PM
If it allows SR, yes golems are immune to it. So...Orb of Force would hurt you, as would any Orb, but Magic Missile wouldn't. If you had Forceward up AND were a golem, neither Orb of Force or Magic Missile would hurt you, an Orb of Fire would but a Fireball wouldn't.

Thurbane
2009-08-14, 09:17 PM
Nope. Their Immunity to Magic doesn't apply to Force effects, and they take +50% damage from Force effects.
Huh, exact opposite of how I remembered it...lol...