PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Scales of War...any good?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-08-12, 09:53 PM
The title pretty much says it all. Is the Scales of War adventure path that has been printed in Dungeon pretty much since 4e debuted worth the time to play?

If so, does it require much modifying or is it good to go right out of the box?

If not, why not?

mathewt
2009-08-13, 10:10 AM
I'm about to run my second session of the first module this weekend. From what I've read, the first mod, Rescue at Rivenroar is considered a bit meh, but that it gets better. I've also read that it can be a bit uneven, some mods being better than others. There's a wiki out there with commentary and suggested plot threads or changes, but I don't have the link with me at work. I found it by digging through the SoW WotC forum though.

I've done a bit of modifying for the first mod at least, since half the creatures in the encounters don't really make sense being there. Also...needlefang drake swarms. 'Nuff said. ;)

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-13, 10:13 AM
I'm about to run my second session of the first module this weekend. From what I've read, the first mod, Rescue at Rivenroar is considered a bit meh, but that it gets better. I've also read that it can be a bit uneven, some mods being better than others. There's a wiki out there with commentary and suggested plot threads or changes, but I don't have the link with me at work. I found it by digging through the SoW WotC forum though.

I've done a bit of modifying for the first mod at least, since half the creatures in the encounters don't really make sense being there. Also...needlefang drake swarms. 'Nuff said. ;)

Those things are a nightmare. Not even just difficult, actually erroneously strong. You should look at the errata if you haven't already because their damage is way out of line.

Of course, they got such a reputation amongst my players the first time I used them that I never actually got round to using the errata'd ones.

mathewt
2009-08-13, 10:47 AM
I didn't realize they'd been errata'd. I think I managed to forget to read the MM errata actually. I'd already adjusted the encounter down (had only 4 party members) and I'd removed one of the 2 swarms. Still, I managed to almost one-shot the bard with the whole minor knockdown / standard attack combo (he ended up with 1hp left). Despite the fact that I chose to not use that combo again, the party asked me if they could switch out characters after that encounter. ;)

Jack_Banzai
2009-08-13, 10:53 AM
My friends and I just finished up the second leg of Scales of War. Not bad at all. I've played a lot of modules and these are far, far from the worst.