PDA

View Full Version : Why are people so sure Tyrinar is Elan's father?

The Pale King
2009-08-12, 11:27 PM
Why is it that, based on one panel, people on this forum accept this as all but canon? We have no idea who his father is. And I'm not sure Rich would do something like that, particularly if that's what everyone on the forums says he's going to do it. It just seems like people are assuming too much.

FujinAkari
2009-08-12, 11:46 PM
Because it actually makes a surprising amount of sense... we know Elan's father is some sort of Warlord, and we know Haley's dad is being held by some sort of warlord...both are in distant lands and there simply aren't any OTHER warlords we know of.

David Argall
2009-08-13, 12:06 AM
And because our writer does go in for a good deal of foreshadowing. Everything seems to call for us meeting Elan's dad, and maybe his mother. And we are expecting to meet Haley's pop as well. They seem to wrap together so nicely.

There are several ways they might interact instead, but this seems to fit the situation best.

Turkish Delight
2009-08-13, 12:53 AM
Given that the Giant has already said he gets annoyed when people guess plot points ahead of time and gets the urge to change them, I think the very fact people have openly accepted this as almost canon for a long, long time means that it's less likely to be true.

Still, the fit is so completely obvious that I'd guess if he has decided to change it, it will require a lot of plot twisting to both add another warlord character and make it seem natural rather than jammed in to soothe his need to be unpredictable.

FoE
2009-08-13, 01:13 AM
Given that the Giant has already said he gets annoyed when people guess plot points ahead of time and gets the urge to change them, I think the very fact people have openly accepted this as almost canon for a long, long time means that it's less likely to be true.

Yeah, pretty much.

In fact, just seeing this thread probably has him furiously re-writing several year's worth of notes right now.

Aldrakan
2009-08-13, 01:14 AM
The picture of his father in Nale's flashback showed a "T" on his banner, so there is some foreshadowing too. But mostly it's that it could be too major a plot element to be easily changed, that would fit into the story neatly, and would strengthen the Elan/Nale conflict.

factotum
2009-08-13, 01:27 AM
But mostly it's that it could be too major a plot element to be easily changed, that would fit into the story neatly, and would strengthen the Elan/Nale conflict.

It would also be a source of conflict between Elan and Haley to an extent, although the fact Elan hasn't seen his father since he was a baby will mitigate that.

Nonetheless, I can foresee a situation where Haley wants to kill Lord Tyrinar and Elan won't let her because he's his father, no matter how much of a douche he is.

Pronounceable
2009-08-13, 07:10 AM
Rules of drama demand it.

Drama runs in the family. Remember that warlord and barmaid didn't tell their children they had twins for possibility of extra drama.

Plus we'll hopefully have an Elan, I am your father moment, which'd be worth anything.

Random832
2009-08-13, 07:15 AM
Plus we'll hopefully have an Elan, I am your father moment, which'd be worth anything.

:elan: Thank you so much! *pulls Haley, Nale, and Tyrinar into a massive group hug* This is the best thing anyone has ever done for me!

:smallbiggrin:

Zanaril
2009-08-13, 07:20 AM

Still, the fit is so completely obvious that I'd guess if he has decided to change it, it will require a lot of plot twisting to both add another warlord character and make it seem natural rather than jammed in to soothe his need to be unpredictable.

I think there's a difference between us speculating wildly and randomly hitting upon what's going to happen, and us working out from foreshadowing something which currently is in the Oots-verse, but without knowing what will come of that information. The former would be annoying, the latter means your foreshaddowing is working, but still leaves the reader in suspense.

Conuly
2009-08-13, 09:12 AM
Drama runs in the family. Remember that warlord and barmaid didn't tell their children they had twins for possibility of extra drama.

Well, that's what Elan thinks, anyway. Nale didn't seem to think much of that explanation.

Jackson
2009-08-13, 11:05 AM
The look on Nale's face seems to suggest that he believes it, and is shocked that his dimwitted brother could come up with it when he, evil genius that he claims to be, couldn't.

We're sure because it would make sense and would finish the comic up with more elegance and speed, which seems to be significant given that we're past halfway by now and either need or expect the threads of both Haley's father and Elan and Nale's parents to be wrapped up. It would be a simple and elegant solution, and no less so because it was possible to guess.

Of course, that doesn't make it so. I just don't see why Rich would deny himself something that could be so interesting and satisfactory because we expect to see it happen. Especially since we don't know what, exactly, will happen if we are right.

Morty
2009-08-13, 01:03 PM
On one hand, it's so patently obvious and expectable I find it kind of hard to imagine it in OoTS. On the other hand, just because something is predictable doesn't mean it shouldn't appear in the story. So I don't have any opinion on that matter, myself, though I'm leaning towards it being untrue.

Prowl
2009-08-13, 01:13 PM
It's so strongly hinted at that if it is not the case then it's a deliberate head-fake. So the question is whether there is any good reason story-wise to do that. It seems to me that there is a lot more story potential by playing to what has been foreshadowed, especially as it relates to Elan and Haley.

Kish
2009-08-13, 01:23 PM
It's so strongly hinted at
People confuse "it's hinted at" with "people on the forum believe it" way too often. I think there's a good chance that Lord Tyrinar will turn out to be Elan and Nale's father, but of everything in the actual comic, the one thing I'd call a real hint to that effect is the yellow T on Nale's father's banner. Many people insisted Miko would become a blackguard, and some went so far, when she fell, as to say that anyone who didn't think she would become a blackguard now was an idiot.

Prowl
2009-08-13, 02:15 PM
I don't think there's any comparison between the two. Miko-as-blackguard would require that the character's entire story-developed personality be turned on its head - the whole catch with her was that she was so self-righteous that she could never be introspective enough to see her own flaws. Admitting those flaws openly is something she refuses to do time and time again, so the self-admission that would be required for her to embrace evil while acknowledging that it is evil is something extremely unlikely in such a character. It certainly would blow a lot of the suspension of disbelief, as being inconsistent.

In contrast, we have in this case a major warlord contemporary to the story who has an intimate connection to two major characters, and a pretty clean set-up with loads of story possibilities, all of which makes a lot of sense. This would be the theory that Elan/Nale's dad is Lord Tyrannar who is also the captor of Haley's dad.

This is completely consistent with what we know to date; this has been foreshadowed, it is not baseless conjecture.

Hitorijun
2009-08-13, 02:16 PM
What about the crazy people who believe that the warload who is holding haleys father is haleys father?

Querzis
2009-08-13, 02:39 PM
What about the crazy people who believe that the warload who is holding haleys father is haleys father?

That my new favorite theory ever. Conning his own daughter, he really is a Starshine!

kpenguin
2009-08-13, 02:45 PM
That would hi-lar-ious, if Haley's father wasn't really in prison at all and the letter is just a dud to get Haley to send him money.

Ichneumon
2009-08-13, 02:53 PM
Wouldn't it make sense if lord Tyrinar had delegate warlords? Couldn't the father of Elan/Nale be a servant/knight of Lord Tyrinar?

Optimystik
2009-08-13, 03:00 PM
Wouldn't it make sense if lord Tyrinar had delegate warlords? Couldn't the father of Elan/Nale be a servant/knight of Lord Tyrinar?

"Delegate warlord?" Isn't that like saying "assistant emperor?"

Carisbourg
2009-08-13, 03:06 PM

This fellow wanted an Assistant Emperor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diocletian)

Random832
2009-08-13, 03:21 PM
That my new favorite theory ever. Conning his own daughter, he really is a Starshine!

Wait, ****, does that mean Haley and Elan are half-siblings?

That's like the problem with Luke and Leia, except they actually did it.

Kish
2009-08-13, 03:46 PM
Imperial Auditors!

Gift Jeraff
2009-08-13, 04:40 PM
What I find interesting is how Nale says his father was a cold and ruthless general. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) Dead? Dead to Nale? (Not impossible, considering Nale supposedly has a grudge against him. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0061.html)) No longer a general? (Either going up or down in the ranks.) No longer cold and/or ruthless? Just a choice of words?

However, part of me doesn't want Elan and Nale's Pa to be Lord Tyrinar because I want his name to be Alen. And his surname to be Lane. And Elan's mother's name to be Lena. :smallbiggrin:

Random832
2009-08-13, 04:42 PM
Lord Tyrinar could be an acquired title, like Dread Pirate Roberts.

Magnema
2009-08-13, 05:37 PM
What I find interesting is how Nale says his father was a cold and ruthless general. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) Dead? Dead to Nale? (Not impossible, considering Nale supposedly has a grudge against him. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0061.html)) No longer a general? (Either going up or down in the ranks.) No longer cold and/or ruthless? Just a choice of words?

I noticed this too, and I think that Elan's father is dead as a door-Nale.:smallbiggrin: or the last one, for dramatic potential.

Haven
2009-08-13, 05:44 PM

I've never heard this one, but it would actually be a really good twist. I'm not sure why he would do that to his daughter, though...

Setra
2009-08-13, 06:03 PM
I've never heard this one, but it would actually be a really good twist. I'm not sure why he would do that to his daughter, though...
Someone bet 10gp he wouldn't

dps
2009-08-13, 08:37 PM
While I do believe that it is the consensus of the forum that it is Nale and Elan's father who is holding Haley's father hostage, I myself have never taken as canon. Possible, maybe even probable, but it's not a given. Also, it occurs to me that a possible twist would be that by the time the OotS gets to Lord Tyrinar's lands, if he is Nale and Elan's father, it would be interesting if Haley's father has managed to free himself and otherthrow Lord Tyrinar. Actually that would probably be an interesting twist even if Tyrinar isn't Nale and Elan's father.

Sanguine
2009-08-13, 08:40 PM
While I do believe that it is the consensus of the forum that it is Nale and Elan's father who is holding Haley's father hostage, I myself have never taken as canon. Possible, maybe even probable, but it's not a given. Also, it occurs to me that a possible twist would be that by the time the OotS gets to Lord Tyrinar's lands, if he is Nale and Elan's father, it would be interesting if Haley's father has managed to free himself and otherthrow Lord Tyrinar. Actually that would probably be an interesting twist even if Tyrinar isn't Nale and Elan's father.
Not only would it be awesome it fits well with what the chick who gave Haley the letter said.

PirateMonk
2009-08-13, 09:01 PM

Vast sums of money, obviously.

reignofevil
2009-08-13, 09:09 PM
Vast sums of money, obviously.

Heck, maybe he just thought Wouldn't it be great to get 5 GP in the mail every day for the rest of my life from my daughter?

multilis
2009-08-13, 09:31 PM
The shocking conclusion of OOTS.

Above Top Secret, DO NOT READ!

Stop, before it is too late!

Please nooo, don't look, you'll know too much!

Tyrinar=Current fake Snarl=Elan, Nale and Haley's father, home is now planet inside of rift, still visits 'real world'. Tyrinar has *millions* of gp worth of treasure in the inner planet.

Nale kills Tyrinar for the treasure, the inner world is falling apart, Haley is too busy gathering gold to listen to Elan and leave, Elan won't leave without her but Miko pulls him out at last minute, and he lives happily ever after as only surviving member of OOTS with Miko.

Elan tells his kids story of tragic sacrifice by Roy and friends to stop V/fiends from unravelling and using inner planet/Snarl.

DarkShard
2009-08-13, 10:10 PM
Notice the huge letter T on Nale's father's flag. Also notice the fact that Nale and Elan are brothers.

Jade_Tarem
2009-08-13, 10:43 PM
Notice the huge letter T on Nale's father's flag. Also notice the fact that Nale and Elan are brothers.

Now notice the previous thirty-five posts.

Katana_Geldar
2009-08-14, 04:47 AM
Someone brought up the whole idea about how it was obvious because of people on the forums, and I disagree as I've only just joined and I think Tyrinar being Elan's father does make sense.

Another reason is that the whole scenario is VERY Elan, the whole drama and confrontation with family members (maybe including a swordfight with his dad before he realises he can't kill him and Nale stabs him in the back) makes a lot of sense.

Totally Guy
2009-08-14, 06:23 AM
I reckon that Nale's next scheme is going to involve tricking Elan into believing Lord Tyrinar is his father when he's really not. His real father will be someone else, like a war vizer or something.

Katana_Geldar
2009-08-14, 07:09 AM
Since when is a guy in a helmet the vizier?

They usually have a goatee.

Wait, *hears heavy breathing* I'm sorry Lord Vader!

Dixieboy
2009-08-14, 10:40 AM
Now notice the previous thirty-five posts.
Then say the magic word and jump around in a circle three times.

Vargtass
2009-08-14, 02:27 PM
Before Miko's lord was revealed not to be Soon himself, this was more or less the consensus of the forum, even to the point that it was brought up as something the Giant had deliberately changed due to the allegedly correct speculations. Since Soon actually turned up as a ghost-martyr, I have not seen that theory in swing anymore...

I trust the Giant to tell his story, regardless of speculations or temptations urged by these. If Lord Tyrinar is Elan's dad its because of the story as planned, if not, likewise!

Random832
2009-08-14, 02:35 PM
Before Miko's lord was revealed not to be Soon himself, this was more or less the consensus of the forum, even to the point that it was brought up as something the Giant had deliberately changed due to the allegedly correct speculations.

Wait, what? Had we even heard the name Soon before meeting Shojo?

Kish
2009-08-14, 02:38 PM
Yes. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html)

While I wince at the use of the word "consensus," it is certainly true that some people on the Forum swore up and down that Soon was Miko's lord as soon as we had the name Miko. At the latest.

David Argall
2009-08-14, 08:35 PM
Yes. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html)

While I wince at the use of the word "consensus," it is certainly true that some people on the Forum swore up and down that Soon was Miko's lord as soon as we had the name Miko. At the latest.

That was before my time in the forums, but it was not an impossible idea.
Still, we were told that the adventuring was 65 years ago, and Soon was at least adult by then [and the grey hair at least hint of considerable age]. That made for a very large chance he was dead, and so swearing that Miko had to be his underling was at least a risk.
Now with the figures on the Western continent, we still don't have any serious evidence they are no longer with us. So there is a pretty good chance we will be meeting them, and likely soon.

warrl
2009-08-17, 07:18 PM
No, Lord Tyrinar is not Nale and Elan's father.

He's their elder brother.

Thus Nale's comment that his father WAS a cold-hearted and ruthless general. He turned out to not be quite as cold-hearted as his heir, who got tired of waiting.

As for Elan... his father sought to have the traditional "heir and a spare" and got a third, so ordered a servant to dispose of the third (while, probably, another servant disposed of his wife). The servant happened to know of a local barmaid who had just had a stillborn baby, and wasn't as cold-hearted; so he went to said barmaid, swapped the live baby for the dead one, and cut off the dead one's head so he could present evidence of having properly fulfilled his orders. Elan at some point asked who his father was, and was told "a warlord", but never thought to ask who his mother was.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-17, 09:04 PM
So there is a pretty good chance we will be meeting them, and likely soon.

:smallconfused: I thought Soon was dead and his soul had gone to the afterlife.

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-17, 09:53 PM
My opinion is that Elan's father is dead, killed by Nale.
"No one denies me, Elan. Not father, not you, no one."
And all this T business is a red herring.
Perhaps Nale is holding Haley's father.

Elfin
2009-08-17, 10:36 PM
Ah, so Nale, the ruler of Tyrinaria, cleverly deserts his kingdom to travel to another continent with only a few companions and enact vengeance on his brother? Instead of, say, having his army do it for him?

Puns de León
2009-08-17, 10:49 PM
Nale's not that kind of guy, though. He likes to execute needlessly complicated operations just to show everyone what a mastermind he is. And it seems as if he actually wanted Elan to join him, at first, before Elan's response prompted that "No one denies me..." line.

Hmm...so Nale, the ruler of Tyrinaria, cleverly deserts his kingdom to travel to another continent...

Good one! :smallwink:

Corwin Weber
2009-08-17, 11:51 PM
That line occurred to me too, but I think it's more likely that it's the reason Nale is where he is rather than with his father.

His father's a major warlord. Odds are he's too tough for Nale to kill, however much he might want to.

Tass
2009-08-18, 07:03 AM
:smallconfused: I thought Soon was dead and his soul had gone to the afterlife.

Well that one never gets old.

fangthane
2009-08-18, 12:34 PM
I can't figure why people would think Tyrinar is Elan's dad when that's patently false. :smallbiggrin:
He's Haley's dad. He's been making one mother of a disguise check for the past 10+ years, since he graduated from Petty to Identity theft.

Elan/Nale's dad works for him as his Warlord, hence the banner.

Yeah yeah, I know I'm probably completely wrong but what the heck, might as well add my completely-baseless-speculation to the pile. :)

Mystic Muse
2009-08-18, 12:55 PM
Well that one never gets old.

you're right it doesn't.:smallbiggrin:

Querzis
2009-08-18, 02:34 PM
No, Lord Tyrinar is not Nale and Elan's father.

He's their elder brother.

Thus Nale's comment that his father WAS a cold-hearted and ruthless general. He turned out to not be quite as cold-hearted as his heir, who got tired of waiting.

I believe thats true. After all, an evil warlord who marry chaotic good barmaids when hes drunk enough would surely have a lot more then two childrens.

Katana_Geldar
2009-08-18, 06:39 PM
I can't figure why people would think Tyrinar is Elan's dad when that's patently false. :smallbiggrin:
He's Haley's dad. He's been making one mother of a disguise check for the past 10+ years, since he graduated from Petty to Identity theft.

Elan/Nale's dad works for him as his Warlord, hence the banner.

Yeah yeah, I know I'm probably completely wrong but what the heck, might as well add my completely-baseless-speculation to the pile. :)

This doesn't make sense AT ALL.

Corwin Weber
2009-08-18, 08:59 PM
This doesn't make sense AT ALL.

** SMACK **

:)

** edit.... ok I went back and checked, that's probably not the sly reference I thought it was now that I look at it.... **

Draz74
2009-08-19, 01:57 AM
Y'all are totally missing the strongest piece of evidence that we've had all along for the "Elan's dad = Tyrinar" theory (no, I'm not joking around like some other posters have been):

The simple fact that Rich has consistently avoided ever telling us Elan's and Nale's last name. Even in OtOoPCs.

I mean, come on, this clue has been around ever since the Cast Introduction Page (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html).

Bogardan_Mage
2009-08-19, 02:59 AM
Y'all are totally missing the strongest piece of evidence that we've had all along for the "Elan's dad = Tyrinar" theory (no, I'm not joking around like some other posters have been):

The simple fact that Rich has consistently avoided ever telling us Elan's and Nale's last name. Even in OtOoPCs.

I mean, come on, this clue has been around ever since the Cast Introduction Page (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html).
Yeah, but Elan knows about Haley's father now. If there was some recognisable link between him and Tyrinar like that wouldn't he have mentioned it (albeit in a clueless "What a wierd coincidence, eh Haley?" type of thing)?

FujinAkari
2009-08-19, 03:47 AM
Yeah, but Elan knows about Haley's father now. If there was some recognisable link between him and Tyrinar like that wouldn't he have mentioned it (albeit in a clueless "What a wierd coincidence, eh Haley?" type of thing)?

Well... all Elan knows about his dad is that he was some mean fighter guy who left [his mom] to battle (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html)

zql
2009-08-19, 10:27 AM

LOL, I've just seen the receipt from the diamond.

Katana_Geldar
2009-08-20, 07:03 PM
WAIT! WAIT! I'VE GOT IT!

Does Haley have a letter from Elan's father? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html)

This makes sense! If Elan's father was a general, turned Evil Chancellor, then he would have the banner of Lord Tyrinar to fight under!

Querzis
2009-08-20, 11:15 PM

That means absolutely nothing since lots of people in a medieval settings shoudn't have a last name at all. V doesnt have any last name either. Actually, most characters dont. And of those who do have a last name, most sounds like a nickname that became a last name after a while (like Greenhilt, they are named after the freaking sword!)

Brogen
2009-08-20, 11:20 PM
Names like that were very common in medieval times. Like Smith, it means the first person with that name was a smith, named after their job, same thing with Tatcher, and Miller. And then there are names like Johnson, which were originally John's Son.
A famous warrior being called by his sword makes perfect sense.

Bogardan_Mage
2009-08-21, 09:24 AM
Well... all Elan knows about his dad is that he was some mean fighter guy who left [his mom] to battle (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html)
Yes, and that explains why he doesn't make the connection in the comic. If, however, Elan's surname is Tyrinar he doesn't need to know squat about his father. Even Elan knows his own last name!

Pronounceable
2009-08-21, 11:39 AM
We can't even be sure Elan and Nale have the same surname. Elan's mom might've gone back to her own and raised Elan with that as well.

Zeful
2009-08-21, 11:48 AM

Except the cast introduction page lists him as Elan the Bard. So his last name is Bard (Like Kermit T. Frog). Whether it's his mother's name she took after the divorce or their father's last name is up for debate.

Random832
2009-08-21, 12:16 PM
Except the cast introduction page lists him as Elan the Bard. So his last name is Bard (Like Kermit T. Frog). Whether it's his mother's name she took after the divorce or their father's last name is up for debate.

Or maybe he doesn't have a surname - Roy's family is named for his sword, which we don't actually know has been in the family for more than two generations. In our world, surnames in the modern sense are a relatively recent innovation.

Turkish Delight
2009-08-21, 02:15 PM
That means absolutely nothing since lots of people in a medieval settings shoudn't have a last name at all.

I don't know why you or anyone else uses the fact that OotS is a medieval setting to try to prove anything whatsoever. It's a pseudo-medieval fantasy setting with a gigantic hole torn through the fourth wall. It has no interest in the real medieval period beyond what's necessary to make the place look like a stereotypical fantasy setting and tell jokes.

Aeon221
2009-08-21, 03:19 PM
Lord Tyrinar could be an acquired title, like Dread Pirate Roberts.

Definitely the best answer. And then Haley's dad rushed off because he had gotten a letter from Elan's dad saying "Hey you guy! It's your turn to be Lord T!"

And then Haley's dad, wanting to make sure no one would know, sent off the angry letter. I mean, after all, does it really seem like Haley is suffering from a requirement that she steal tons of things? If her dad really is Lord T, he's probably saving it all up so that he can retire with it after he appoints her as the new Lord T!

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-21, 05:10 PM
And then Haley's dad rushed off because he had gotten a letter from Elan's dad saying "Hey you guy! It's your turn to be Lord T!"

"I pity the fool!" :smallbiggrin:

Felixaar
2009-08-22, 05:12 AM
It seems a logical conclusion. After all, how many evil Warlords bearing a banner with a "T" on it can there be?

...Okay, a lot.

The 'T' kind of sets it for me. If it's not for Tyrinar, then it has no use, and Rich wouldn't have included it. Unless of course it's a red herring designed to make us think what we're all thinking... and Rich will pull a fast one on us, again.

Wait 'n' see, folks, mkay? I get the feeling we'll know before long...

Gift Jeraff
2009-08-27, 10:02 AM
Here's my inane theory for now: (Which I'm sure someone has come up with before)

Lord Tyrinar = Girard = Elan and Nale's father (They got the blonde hair from their mother)

Tyrinaria is just an illusion to scare people into thinking a powerful general with a powerful army protects the Gate (if they know of and are seeking the Gate(s)). Seeing that Nale was naturally Evil to begin with, Girard and Mrs. Draketooth (or whatever) decided to split so that Elan would not get corrupted by what would come across as an evil dictatorship. When Nale found out that Elan was next in line to rule the supposed nation of Tyrinaria, he got pissed and decided to get that talisman thingy to fight what he thought was a large, powerful army and usurp his father.

BatRobin
2009-08-27, 10:14 AM
Why can't Elan's last name be Raniryt?

(Raniryt (ran-eye-right(which backwards is right-eye-ran!)) is backwards Tyrinar, which would fit with the whole ElanNale thing.)

Optimystik
2009-08-27, 10:34 AM
Why can't Elan's last name be Raniryt?

(Raniryt (ran-eye-right(which backwards is right-eye-ran!)) is backwards Tyrinar, which would fit with the whole ElanNale thing.)

Last names in OotS tend to follow the standard fantasy formula of juxtaposing two descriptive english words: Greenhilt, Starshine, Bitterleaf, Thundershield. (Though there are exceptions like Toormuck (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0195.html) and Lorkyurg (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html), Elan was raised in the North... I think... so they may not apply.)

Katana_Geldar
2009-08-27, 06:55 PM
What about my theory with Miron Shewdanker? :(

Mystic Muse
2009-08-28, 12:09 AM
Last names in OotS tend to follow the standard fantasy formula of juxtaposing two descriptive english words: Greenhilt, Starshine, Bitterleaf, Thundershield. (Though there are exceptions like Toormuck (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0195.html) and Lorkyurg (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html), Elan was raised in the North... I think... so they may not apply.)

funnily toormuck is also one of those names. I was looking in my computer dictionary just to see and look what it turns up.

toor
toor n. The Bourne-Again Super-user. An alternate account with UID of
0, created on Unix machines where the root user has an inconvenient
choice of shell. Compare avatar.

I think most of us know what muck means. Lorkyurg however does not seem to be anything.

Zolkabro
2009-08-28, 03:33 AM
People keep saying that Elan is Tyrinar's heir. But surely Tyrinar wouldn't choose Elan over Nale as an heir, when, as Nale said in strip 50 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html), Tyrinar thinks bards are underpowered? Nale is the son Tyrinar reared to his own ways, Elan is the son that was reared to his wife's ways. Elan is Chaotic Good, but Nale is Lawful Evil, like Tyrinar.

And I still don't really think Tyrinar is Elan's Dad anyway, never mind Elan being his heir.

Tass
2009-08-28, 10:31 AM
Roy's family is named for his sword, which we don't actually know has been in the family for more than two generations.

Three. It was roys great grandfathers sword (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0113.html)

Gift Jeraff
2009-08-28, 01:20 PM
My other theory is that Nale's father once took him aside and told him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0046.html): "You're not Lawful Evil." This led to him dropping on his knees and giving a Big No.

David Argall
2009-08-28, 02:23 PM
People keep saying that Elan is Tyrinar's heir. But surely Tyrinar wouldn't choose Elan over Nale as an heir, Nale is the son Tyrinar reared to his own ways, Elan is the son that was reared to his wife's ways. Elan is Chaotic Good, but Nale is Lawful Evil, like Tyrinar.
"Absence makes the heart grow fonder." Or more directly here, being around Nale is to be hated by him and/or you hate him unless you are his complete tool. [Sex toys of course get a little slack, but Sabine heavily follows Nale's orders.]
It's quite likely Nale and Dad are on the outs, and if so, Dad may have made Elan heir in retaliation.
But the main reason is that this makes for great plot material. We get great motive for Nale doing some plotting. We get reasons for Elan getting tangled up in something, etc, etc.

And I still don't really think Tyrinar is Elan's Dad anyway, never mind Elan being his heir.
It's possible he is not, but it fits all the foreshadowning and gives us a good plotline. That is plenty of reason to not reject the idea.