PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Best buffs up to level 4

Yehomer
2009-08-13, 08:20 AM
Hi there!

My 12th level Spellsword and her ECL 12 Flind Ranger are going to make a sneak attack on a highly fortified castle. As a distraction, two hundred soldiers are going to attack elsewhere in the same castle, thus occupying most of the lower level guards. Before they go, a 7th (or 8th) level wizard is going to cast his whole daily allotment of buff spells on them. They're going to teleport there, get in and out real fast, so I need the best defensive \ offensive buff spells with a duration of 1 or 10 minute(s) \level. None core spells are allowed.

My biggest fear is having them neutralized, so the top priority is weaker versions of mind blank...

What I have so far:

4th level: Stoneskin or fly (house ruled as 4th level, but lasts 10 mintues \ level, assuming the cielings are high enough, it will save them move silently checks...)
3rd level: Heroisem
2nd: Invisibility, Bull's strenght, Bear's Endurance
1st: House spell that buffs up move silently

suggestions?

Eloel
2009-08-13, 08:22 AM
Any specific reason on 'abjuration' ?

Cyclocone
2009-08-13, 08:26 AM
My biggest fear is having them neutralized, so the top priority is weaker versions of mind blank...

Protection from Evulz? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromEvil.htm)

Mongoose87
2009-08-13, 08:49 AM
If you're an Abjurant Champion, as many of the best spellswords are, make sure you pick up shield. It gets some very shiny bonuses from that class.

Eldariel
2009-08-13, 08:52 AM
Wait, do you want personal buffs or buffs for the bunch of soldiers? And yeah, strictly Abjuration-only? 'cause that limits things quite a bit - the best abjuration under level 5 is Dispel Magic and that's not very productive here.

Yehomer
2009-08-13, 09:08 AM
Not just abjurations, every kind of buff...

And unfortunately, I've played this character since before I read Complete Mage, and learned about Abjurant Champion a week after I took a level of Eldrich Knight :\

Protection from Evulz? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromEvil.htm)

My neutralish characters are attacking a goodish castle... so no :)

Optimystik
2009-08-13, 09:29 AM
My neutralish characters are attacking a goodish castle... so no :)

Protection from (alignment) suppresses all charms and compulsions, regardless of the source's alignment. So Pro: Evil will stop a neutral wizard from Suggesting you, Pro: Good will keep an evil sorcerer from dominating you, etc.

Yehomer
2009-08-13, 09:39 AM
Protection from (alignment) suppresses all charms and compulsions, regardless of the source's alignment. So Pro: Evil will stop a neutral wizard from Suggesting you, Pro: Good will keep an evil sorcerer from dominating you, etc.

OMG, I've never noticed that :O Thanks!

Anything else?...

Chalhubard
2009-08-13, 09:51 AM
Ever given tought to Karmic Aura and Karmic Backslash (and, later, their big brother, Karmic Retribution)?

All of the from Complete Mage, prompting a Will save upon anyone attacking you, be it melee, ranged, spellcasting or whatever.

Failing the save means fatigue for 3 rounds for the Aura and exhaustion for 2 rounds for the Backslash. Nothing to scoff at, if ye mind asking me.

Toliudar
2009-08-13, 09:58 AM
If the Wizard's expending everything on you, you might also consider Wings of Air (spell compendium). Good to zip you along.

vrellum
2009-08-13, 03:50 PM
Fly doesn't let you move silently.

Thurbane
2009-08-13, 04:30 PM
For a 1st level spell, Enlarge Person is hard to beat, and the Mass version at higher levels...