PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Good low-level spells for a dip

kamikasei
2009-08-13, 09:59 AM
The scenario is a dip of 2-3 levels in the Chameleon PrC. I'm looking for good, low-level spells (up to 3rd level), not dependent on caster level (as it'll be low), from any divine or arcane caster's list (though not too much cheese in this regard, for fear of the DM's wrath). Arcane spells are the primary concern as they have to be scribed to a spellbook, so I want to be sure I have a good selection.

Any ideas, Playground?

deuxhero
2009-08-13, 10:16 AM
Bless (cleric 1) is a decent buff regardless of level (I think it has a non-standard bonus type). I think fly (Wiz/sor) has some version in that 3 level range. Cure Lights Wounds (or if you have access, lesser vigor) lets use Wands of Cure Light Wounds (or lesser vigor) for free, these are the best cost/healing items in the game.

It would help to know your entry. Fly for example is useless to a Warlock, while (greater) invisiblity is great for a Rouge.

kamikasei
2009-08-13, 10:24 AM
Good point. Character's looking like Binder 25//Factotum 20/Chameleon 2/Rogue 3 (possibly swapping a level between Chameleon and Rogue). So, I'll be getting one seventh-level spell and seven sixth-level-or-lower from Factotum, drawn from the sorcerer/wizard list, with a CL of 20. Thus, for Chameleon I'm looking for ones that will be frequently useful but only worth spending a low-level slot on, rather than wasting one of my Factotum spell slots which could be getting me something which uses the CL effectively for either effect or duration.

So, I should mention that in addition to the criteria in the OP: spells that don't care about duration, either because they're instantaneous, or only need to be operative for a few rounds or minutes anyway, or last a day or more regardless of CL.

Keld Denar
2009-08-13, 10:41 AM
Benign Transposition is great, its level 1, so is Nerveskitter.
3rd has Anticipate Teleport, which buys you a free round against anyone dimensionally traveling around you.
2nd has Invisibility, aka +40 on hide checks. Lots of things that level might have True See though.

Eldariel
2009-08-13, 10:44 AM
Well, obvious from the Arcane side:
-True Strike
-Grease
-Protection from Alignment (the anti-mind control clause can be extremely useful for even just one encounter)
-Benign Transposition [SC]
-Nerveskitter [SC]
-Silent Image ('cause only things with True Seeing are immune...though in epic, that's a lot of them)
-Enlarge Person (though I reckon your Fighters will have other sources of size increase by now)
-Web (works on a successful save)
-Glitterdust (makes invisibles visible)
-Baleful Transposition [SC]
-Rope Trick (Extend it with a Rod and you have enough CL to spend a night there)
-Ray of Stupidity [SC] (still one-shots animals on this level)
-Heroics [SC]
-Wraithstrike [SC]
And depending on your actual combat purpose, the Snipery-spells from SC could be exceedingly useful.

Divine:
-Shield of Faith
-Blessed Aim [SC]
-Resist Planar Alignment [SC]
-Sign [SC]
-Augury
-Lesser Restoration
-Find Traps (you get a nice bonus)
-Silence (ready an action to cast it on an arena when someone starts casting... Unless they are casting it Silently, heh.)
-Divine Insight [SC]
-Guidance of the Avatar [WoTC Site (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a)]
-Avoid Planar Effects [SC]
-Close Wounds [SC]

Just take your picks. Although I'd probably prioritise skill buffs (Guidance & Divine Insight), Silence & whatever decent level 1s you can find (Shield of Faith isn't bad, really, and Sign rocks). For Arcane, beyond True Strike, much depends on what you want to accomplish but the replacing teleportation effects are very good for their level and Grease & Web are useful against anything without Freedom of Movement even if the save succeeds.

Images are as good as you make them and Wraithstrike & Ray of Stupidity are insane. Also, Heroics if you do any combat (extra Fighter feats are handy) and the "do SA normally to X"-line spells if you plan on SA.