PDA

View Full Version : Binder (Semi-) PC Help

Johanas
2009-08-13, 11:03 AM
I am running a game for a few friends. Campy, nice fun game, ripe with Cliche's. That's actually the point of the game, to actually experience all those classic fantasy cliche's. Most of my players are experienced, but haven't actually had a big EPIC end-all Dragon fight. Or rescued a princess from a tower. Or a number of similar events. Well, last night, they came across a witch burning. Good times. Turns out, she's a binder. And not evil. To which the Paladin took offense. Of course, he has a 4 intelligence, so he doesn't get much. And is role-played fantastically too by the way. Game turned very Sherlock Holmesy, and they ended up getting her a trial. And winning. Which I wasn't counting on. Good for them, but now the local "Sea-Witch"wants to get the hell outta Dodge, and joined the PCs. All I wrote is that she is a druid 1, binder 1. Any thoughts on progression with this theme? She's a classic druid, lived next to an inland sea, and used her binder magic for a bit of low level versatility.

As a side note, just for fun, can anyone tell me what would happen if she went Planar Shepard, with the Plane of Vestiges as her home Plane? They make reference to a Vestige having found something of the sort.

Optimystik
2009-08-13, 11:12 AM
To which the Paladin took offense. Of course, he has a 4 intelligence, so he doesn't get much. And is role-played fantastically too by the way.

Out of morbid curiosity, how'd he get his intellect down to the level of a talking table?

Johanas
2009-08-13, 11:27 AM
Actually, just the rolling of 4d6s, minus the lowest die at character rolling. He has great paladin stats OTHERWISE.

18 Str (was a 17, he just hit level 4)
13 Dex
16 Con
4 Int
16 Wis
17 Cha

His exact words were: Oh ****. A 4. Looks like I can't play a monk now. I only got FOUR good stats. So he rolled a Paladin, and has been the Primary butt-kicker. Power Attack, usually after a bless, or Inspire Courage from the Party Bard. He Power Attacks for 4, while using his +1 Greatsword. Two-Handed of course. He has absolutely no plans to raise his intelligence. Ever. He's having way to much fun. He's been getting bonus experience just from roleplaying it so well.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-13, 11:31 AM
His exact words were: Oh ****. A 4. Looks like I can't play a monk now. I only got FOUR good stats.

Correct. You must roll seven good stats to play a monk, preferably 20 or higher for each one.

kemmotar
2009-08-13, 11:32 AM
As a side note, just for fun, can anyone tell me what would happen if she went Planar Shepard, with the Plane of Vestiges as her home Plane?

Unless i'm mistaken, the plane of the vestiges can't actually be accessed in any way...besides, there's literally nothing there, the vestiges are a bing mass of nothing themselves and literally starved for something...anything...The only way you could be from that plane would be if she's an actual vestige that took control(read dominated) of an amateur binder. Possible plothook there? dunno...

But as a normal character you can't be a native of the plane of the vestiges...

Johanas
2009-08-13, 01:04 PM
Well actually Planar Shepherds attune to a plane, and end up indistinguishable from it's inhabitants. She would be effectively becoming a Visage....through class progression :)

Johanas
2009-08-13, 01:12 PM
I just realized I found a way to make a person a Vestige by Class Levels. Since 10th Level Planar Shepherds become an outsider native to that plane, as long as the DM allows there to be an actual plane of existence for Vestiges, you BECOME one at level 10. Since Vestiges are the ONLY outsiders on said Plane. I gotta stop running away with myself like this. If I'm not careful, I am gonna break something. Like the Game. :smalltongue:

kamikasei
2009-08-13, 01:15 PM
As a side note, just for fun, can anyone tell me what would happen if she went Planar Shepard, with the Plane of Vestiges as her home Plane? They make reference to a Vestige having found something of the sort.

Where's this coming from? It's part of the point of vestiges that they don't really exist in any conventional sense and aren't located in any actual place.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-13, 01:15 PM
Correct. You must roll seven good stats to play a monk, preferably 20 or higher for each one.

Since when did the BoEF's Appearance stat become mandatory for a Monk? And Charisma, for that matter.

Yes, I got the joke. I'm just pointing out the obvious, you know?

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-13, 01:30 PM
Since when did the BoEF's Appearance stat become mandatory for a Monk? And Charisma, for that matter.

If a Monk can't be effective, he can at least look good.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-13, 01:38 PM

You don't think Charisma is mandatory for a monk? What, you thought managing to pull off awesome one-liners while moving your mouth out of sync with your words in badly dubbed Common comes from Intelligence or Wisdom?

Johanas
2009-08-13, 01:40 PM
Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. I was referring to the Legend of the Vestige Ipos. The legend says he was a very powerful mortal spellcaster, who traveled the planes. He found out about Vestiges, and that they supposedly have no plane. He got interested, dove into his work, and disappeared. He's a Vestige now, so people say he must have found an actual place Vestiges reside. But that's all the book says. Enough to go off of, with a little work. But not too crazy much. Page 36 of the Tome of Magic.

DragoonWraith
2009-08-13, 02:16 PM
I would guess that if you did that something similar to Tenebrous/Orcus would happen, splitting the two. So the character becomes a vestige and a mortal druid/binder, but the player only controls the mortal druid/binder, and the vestige is just another vestige out there, but with the same personality/style as the original character.

For those who have played Elder Scrolls, something along the lines of Mannimarco and the God of Worms is what I'm imagining.

kamikasei
2009-08-13, 02:26 PM
Hmmm. I would interpret that not as his finding the plane where vestiges exist, but finding a way to step off the Great Wheel and obtain the same nonexistence they possess. A matter of taste, but my way has the advantage of not letting players engage in game-breaking shenanigans.

DragoonWraith
2009-08-13, 02:31 PM
Well, you could always just rule, that yes, congratulations: you're a vestige now, stuck in the non-existence of vestiges, and no longer capable of leaving. Better start hoping people will be looking to make pacts with you!

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-13, 02:31 PM
You don't think Charisma is mandatory for a monk? What, you thought managing to pull off awesome one-liners while moving your mouth out of sync with your words in badly dubbed Common comes from Intelligence or Wisdom?

It comes from 2 ranks in Performance (Ventriloquism), as Jeff Dunham has proven. Or should I say Peanut?