PDA

View Full Version : Tengen Toppa Gurran Lagann, The Prestige Class [3.5] PEACH

Averagedog
2009-08-13, 11:56 AM
Hello denizens of the Gitp forums. I come to you in hopes of advice, criticism, suggestions, and balancing comments on the Spiral Knight prestige class I've made. As you can probably guess, this is a prestige class based off of the anime of epic proportions called Tengen Toppa Gurran Lagann. I've decided to merge the idea of the pilot and the Ganmen into one package with the use of the Warforged race as they are the only living construct LA0 race out there. Why warforged you may ask? Does it make sense for a level 5 PC to be wealthy enough to create and or buy a crazy battle suit/robot? no..... not when a warforged is already a living robot of some sort. This does of course assume a warforged does A. have a soul, B. is made out of metals and magics rather than ply wood and magic, and C. have an indomitable will :P.

This is not a troll topic. I genuinely want to make this class viable and I seek help to balance it. If you have ideas that you think should be implemented feel free to post your thoughts.

If you haven't seen the anime yet but like anime, look for clips on youtube.

If you haven't seen the anime and hate anime with a passion that would make your comments negative based on the prejudice against anime please do not post here.

Also, I have no experience whatsoever in creating your newfangled forum powered sweet looking tables. If someone can help me with it I would be ecstatic.

without further delay, here it is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spiral Knight Prestige Class

A Spiral Knight is the master of passion and compassion for his comrades in arms and for the deeply rooted principles he believes in. He believes in his allies, as they believe in him. Through this unshakeable faith in those around him and his own personal charisma, his spirit soars into the heavens as he achieves the impossible and defeats the undefeatable in staggering odds against him. Spiral Knights augment their own bodies in energy transfers that defy the laws of physics and magic. With the inflow of all this energy Spiral Knights create devastating weapons and attacks that decimate all that oppose them in one epic attack. Let those that anger a Spiral Knight beware! The Defiance they display are truly of Epic proportions.

All characters that become Spiral Knights are constructs of some kind, the few of them that exist are almost always warforged with souls that cry out for something more than their mere existance inside the metal shells they call a body. Spiral Knights usually gather like minded people and the meek and downtrodden around them, subconciously as their greatness inspires them to frenzied and almost worshipful levels to live as they have never lived before and fight with more strength than any of them thought possible. Spiral Knights however do not exist to seek violence though often their passion leads to a conflict blown out of proportion. In most instances a Spiral knight will bring prosperity to the land and a time of unchallenged bounty as the spirit of good will and cooperation fills the hearts of those involved.

Note: This class is purely limited/unlimited by the imagination of the player playing this character. It is up to them to paint a picture of their Spiral Knight's deeds and describe their transformations :D.

Tv Tropes:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TengenToppaGurrenLagann

Hit Die: D12

Requirements
To qualify to become a Spiral Knight, a character must fulfuill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Non Evil, Non True Neutral
BAB: 4
Skills: Concentration 6
Feats: Armor Proficiency Medium, Iron Will
Special: Must be a Warforged or another type of living construct

Class Skills:
The Spiral Knight's class skills(and the key ability for each skill) are Climb(Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Local, Nobility, History), Perform (Cha) Profession (Wis) Ride (Dex), Search(Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot(Wis), Swim (Str)

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int Modifier

Table 1-1: The Spiral Knight

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1st 1 0 0 2 a, b, c
2nd 2 0 0 3 d
3rd 3 1 1 3 b
4th 4 1 1 4
5th 5 1 1 4 b , c
6th 6 2 2 5 d
7th 7 2 2 5 b
8th 8 2 2 6
9th 9 3 3 6 b
10th 10 3 3 7 c

a = Inspirational Transformation
b = Inspirational Weapon
c = WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?
d = bonus feat

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Spiral Knight prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Spiral Knights gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Inspirational Transformation(Su):At 1st Level, A Spiral Knight gains the ability to change the composition his body, armor, and weapons to match his inspiration and the manifestation of his Will in battle. The power of this ability increases as a Spiral Knight finds more powerful and more insistent inspiration. In this highly emotional state, the Spiral Knight must make a perform check to determine how many extra inspirational points he gets in addition to the extra points he gets from his Spiral Knight Levels and his Charisma Score. Refer to Table 1-2 for results. A Spiral Knight may spend any amount of his points as he chooses at the beginning of each transformation. A Spiral Knight may transform 1 + 1/2 Spiral knight (minimum 1) levels per day. up to 3 + con modifier rounds per instance(This value is not affected by the con bonus's the Spiral Knight may gain while this ability is activated). The Spiral Knight Transforms as a full round action and refreshes his points pool when he triggers a new transformation. Triggering a new Transformation or ending a transformation removes all abilities and bonuses gained from any earlier transformation(s).

Multiples: A Spiral Knight may invest in any of the following multiple times with no limits unless specified.

Augment Armor: The Armor of the Spiral Knight increases as it becomes larger and more epic in proportion.
2 points: 1 AC (Armor Bonus)
2 points: 1 AC (Shield Bonus)

Toughen Armor: The Armor of the Spiral Knight becomes much more tougher and resistant to all forms of attack.
3 points: 1 damage resistance to all forms of physical and magical damage.

Augment Weapon: The Weapon of the Spiral Knight becomes more and more deadly as it increases in Epic design and Epic proportion.
1 point: 1 damage. The Spiral Knight may spend up to 2 times his character level in points for this augment.
3 points: + 1 magic enhancement. The Spiral Knight can choose any weapon enhancement ability as long as he has the points for it. standard magical weapons rules apply. This means that you cannot have a + 15 weapon. the max enhancement is + 5 and the max additions, up to an additional + 5

Augment Physical Ability: The Spiral Knight becomes stronger, faster, and tougher as the sheer power of his will power increases his body out of its former limits.
1 point: 1 ability point in strength, dexterity or constitution (Untyped Bonus)

Augment Size: The Spiral Knight increases his size, creating a larger mass from essentially and impossibly nothing.
4 points: 1 Size Category. + 4 Str , - 2 Dex(minimum 1), + 2 Con, + 1 Natural Armor (Morale Bonus)

Barrage: The Spiral Knight fires a barrage of smaller versions of his chosen inspirational weapon up to 5 times it's range increment (melee weapons have a range increment of the Spiral Knight's melee range). These weapons are 4 size categories smaller than the original counterpart but retains all the enchantments on them as if they are enchanted as the original. (Vorpal and all other crit based enhancements are nullified for the use of this ability and are instead replaced with regular enhancement bonuses) This attack can be done every round as a standard action without further expenditure of points. TheSpiral Knight can allocate all other targets as needed. The Spiral Knight must roll for each attack. The Spiral Knight rolls as if he was attacking by melee. But he only adds half his strength modifier to damage as opposed to 1.5 times his strength modifier if it a 2 handed weapon. In addition, Power Attack has no affect on this ability. an electronic rolling device or program is recommended.

1 point: Add 2 missiles. The Spiral Knight may spend up to 2 times his character level in points for this augment.
2 point: Ignore 2 points of enemy DR or energy resistance.
1 point: increase the range increment of the weapon by 5.

6 points: As a full round action, the Spiral Knight can launch 2 times the number of missiles he would normally launch.

Super Ultimate Attack: The Spiral Knight unleashes one Super Ultimate Attack within the range of his weapon and must succeed on hitting the enemy. This Attack ignores all forms of damage resistance and seeks through all forms of concealment and cover provided that the Spiral Knight sees the enemy. The Spiral Knight must spend a full round action and make a concentration check to use this ability. The Spiral Knight divides the results of his concentration check by a multiple of 10 then multiplies it by the damage of one of the Spiral Knight's regular attacks. It is up to the player to describe just how epic this attack truly is. For every 20 points allocated into augments, the Spiral Knight may use this attack an additional time starting with 0. Due note that a Spiral Knight still must hit the enemy to damage it.

Example 1(Giga Drill Breaker!!!!!!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crz4_UofhS0

Example 2(Giga Drill Maximum!!!!!!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7C27_lQdQQ&NR=1

8 points: increase the damage multiplier by 1

4 points: attack all within range of this attack.

2 points: extend range by your current range.

Static abilities: The following are static augments that Spiral Knights can only spend points into once.

Encourage Allies: The Spiral Knight forces his awe inspiring will into the minds of his allies, driving them forwards to perfrom their duties with greater clarity and skill. Encourage allies does not encourage the Spiral Knight. Encourage Allies lasts for 3 + the number of rounds Inspirational Transformation lasts

3 points Inspire Courage: All allies within 50 feet gains 1 + Spiral Knight Level / 3 (round down) in to hit and damage with their weapons. (Morale Bonus)

4 Points Inspire Epic: All allies within 50 feet gains 1 + Spiral Knight Level / 3 (round down)in caster levels to their spells and levels in their extraordinary and magical abilities.
-Example: A Warlock of level 12 will be able to cast Eldritch Blast as if he was 4 levels higher. A Monk of 12th level will be able to deal damage, gain AC bonus's, and move faster as if he was 4 levels higher, A Wizard of 12th level can cast cone of cold as if he was level 16 for a maximum of 15D6.

5 points Inspire Toughness: All allies within 50 feet gain + 4 con(morale) and 2 times Spiral Knight levels in temporary hitpoints.

Do the Impossible: The Spiral Knight is being attacked by a foe that exists on a different plane of existence but does the Spiral Knight care? No he beats the threat down just like any other.

5 Points: The Spiral Knight attacks enemies from foreign planes of existance as if they exist purely on the material plane. for example If he attacks a ghost, he ignores the normal 50 percent magical misschance when striking with a magical weapon.

See the Invisible: The Spiral Knight can see the unseen.... out of the corner of his eye. Which is all he needs to fight.

2 point: The Spiral Knight is under the affects of the spell see invisibility

8 points: The Spiral Knight has True Seeing

Flight: The Spiral Knight creates rockets, propellers or other rediculous protrusions used to create flight!!!!!

4 points: Land movement speed flight speed, good maneuverability.

Inspirational Weapon (Ex):
At 1st level, A Spiral Knight chooses a weapon as his weapon of Inspiration. he automatically gains proficiency with it as if he has used it for all his life. Should the Spiral Knight use a weapon not on the usual chart, use the following weapon templates:

Melee Weapon:
one handed light: D4 with a x4 critical,
one handed or two handed: D8 with a 19-20 x2 critical,
two handed: D10 with a x2 critical.

the damage type should be chosen as appropriate to an item in hand.

For instance: A Drill would have a D6 damage die with a 19-20 x2 critical. It does Piercing and Slashing Damage.

At 3rd level, A Spiral Knight gains the weapon focus feat with the weapon.

At 5th level, A Spiral Knight gains 2 points of inspiration when using this weapon and gains an additional 2 points at 7th level and 9th level.

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM? (Ex):
At 1st level, a Spiral Knight gains the ability to make a DC 15 concentration check as an immediate action when affected(after failing the assosciated save) by a spell, a spell like ability, or a supernatural ability. If the Spiral Knight succeeds, he has successfully concentrated his anger and feelings of comradre into a sharp focus that denies all petty pains and nuisances. When the concentration check is made, the Spiral Knight puts off the insidious affects of the spell for 1 + 1/2(round down) Spiral Knight class levels(minimum 0) rounds. This does not nullify damage from spells. This does come into affect when an item held or worn by him is affected. Yes, this allows him to resist(non damage) area spells.

At 5th level, the Spiral Knight's ability to ignore such punishment improves. he gains the ability to ignore either physical damage or damage caused by spells for the duration of the ability as long as the damage does not exceed the limits of his will. A spiral knight can ignore up to(but can also choose to experience) his Spiral Knight class level times 5 + con modifier hit point damage for the duration. A Spiral knight must make a DC 20 concentration check every round to maintain this level of sheer will power. Should this pool be exceeded, the Spiral Knight will take all the damage in the pool at once.

At 10th level, the extremities of this damage pool increases. In addition to gaining the ability to resist the latter of the two choices presented at level 5, a Spiral Knight (instead of the previous calculation) can ignore up to his Spiral Knight class level times 10 + con modifier hit point damage for the duration.

table 1-2
Level Inspiration Points, Perform Check, Extra Inspiration Points, Charisma ,Extra Inspiration Points
1st 3 5 2 12 1
2nd 4 10 4 14 2
3rd 5 15 6 16 3
4th 5 20 8 18 4
5th 6 25 10 20 5
6th 7 30 12 22 6
7th 8 35 14 24 7
8th 8 40 16 26 8
9th 9 45 18 28 9
10th 10 ... ... ... ...

Bonus Feats:

Extra Inspiration: Once per day, A Spiral Knight can add an additional amount of Inspiration points to his pool equal to his Spiral Knight level.This Feat may be taken multiple times, though the affects do not stack for the same transformation.

Additional Transformation: The Spiral Knight May Transform once more per day. This feat may be taken multiple times

Augment Inspiration Weapon: Augment the Inspirational weapon of the Spiral Knight If it is a non standard weapon. Each time the feat is taken the bonus's on the weapon increases. This feat may be taken multiple times. Keen, or improved critical do not stack with this feat.
1. Increase critical threat range by 1 and the hitpoints of the weapon by 10
2. Increase damage category by 3 and the hitpoints of the weapon by 20
3. Increase critical threat range by 2 and the hitpoints of the weapon by 30
4. Increase critical multiplier by 1 and the hitpoints of the weapon by 40

Tobi_goodboy
2009-08-22, 12:03 AM
you spelled gurren wrong in the title:smallbiggrin:

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-08-22, 07:28 AM
I'll just leave this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105858) here...

alpha1
2009-08-22, 02:07 PM
hmmm im interested this seems cool but not sure maybe if it was simplified a bit more

Debihuman
2009-08-22, 05:47 PM
I know that you are new here, but honestly we've got a lovely way of making charts so that the numbers look a lot better. Have you tried the guide to homebrewing? It is stickied on the first page. Here it is, just copy and paste and change the x to what is appropriate.

NAME OF CLASS
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

2nd|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

3rd|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

4th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

5th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

6th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

7th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

8th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

9th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

10th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability[/table]

Primal Fury
2009-08-23, 03:52 PM
Found it! The Demented One made a ToB discipline based on this exact thing.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5569037

Averagedog
2009-09-09, 02:14 PM
Found it! The Demented One made a ToB discipline based on this exact thing.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5569037

The difference between what I did and what the veteran did was that he made something based off of the abilities of TOB. I'm using a points system on a very specific racial prestige class that I have created. unfortunately for me, I have currently lost enough interest to not put forth the effort to make the tables and gizmos right now. but when I do have the inspiration again I will attempt to make it looks nice.

As for the spelling, most of the places where I looked for the spelling showed the spelling as I wrote it.

alpha1
2009-09-09, 02:44 PM
Personally im a fan of your idea as well as those the verterans and you are taking it in a very diffferent direction i hope you can polish this up as im a big fan of gurren lagann.
myself, im gonna see what i can come up with, possibl somethign based of the demon binder from the underdark book