PDA

View Full Version : Preseason

An Enemy Spy
2009-08-13, 02:26 PM
As I'm sure many of you are aware of, the NFL preseason officially starts today (bout flippin time). As I am a football obsessed junkie, I thought it was only appropriate to mention it on a D&D site.
I'm too lazy to predict every game this week, so I'll do the two I care about the most. Seahawks vs Chargers and Cardinals vs Steelers.
The Hawks are my favorite team so of course I'm gonna pick them to win a close game against San Diego.
As a self respecting Seahawks fan, I despise the Steelers (more like Stealers) and though I also love it when the Cards lose, I'm gonna have to root for the team that should have won the super bowl. Yes, I'm that bitter.

So please don't embaress me by making me talk to myself. Talk about your own expectations for the season.

Cristo Meyers
2009-08-13, 02:28 PM
I expect that the words "Well at least we beat Green Bay" will be heard fairly constantly after yet another disappointing Bears season.

snoopy13a
2009-08-13, 02:40 PM
The preseason games are shams to force season ticket holders to buy more tickets. I don't care who wins them and neither do the coaches as some first team players will only play a series or two.

Joran
2009-08-13, 02:42 PM
I thought the Hall of Fame game was last Sunday; so that was the beginning of Preseason. Anyway, only 24 days until my fantasy football draft!

It's been a long and lonely summer after the NBA ended. I mostly patched over the dry spot of summer sports with dancing shows. So You Think You Can Dance and America's Best Dance Crew were my sports fix...

RTGoodman
2009-08-13, 02:44 PM
I don't particularly follow pro football (mostly just the Panthers and occasionally the Pats, since my family is from MA and I'm probably required to like them by some football law), but I'm definitely getting pumped for football season in general.

I've 22 days, 20 hours, 10 minutes, and a few seconds before the start of ECU Pirates football, and I'm gonna be there (hopefully) to see us destroy Appalachian. It's gonna be good times.

An Enemy Spy
2009-08-13, 03:04 PM
I thought the Hall of Fame game was last Sunday; so that was the beginning of Preseason. Anyway, only 24 days until my fantasy football draft!

It's been a long and lonely summer after the NBA ended. I mostly patched over the dry spot of summer sports with dancing shows. So You Think You Can Dance and America's Best Dance Crew were my sports fix...

Well I wasn't sure if that game actually counted.

Cyrion
2009-08-13, 03:05 PM
I'm excited about football season starting again. Even though it's a sad thing at the moment being a Niners fan.

In Kansas.

Maybe they'll have a good season.

An Enemy Spy
2009-08-13, 03:12 PM
I'm excited about football season starting again. Even though it's a sad thing at the moment being a Niners fan.

In Kansas.

Maybe they'll have a good season.

Not if my team can help it! :smallwink:

Cyrion
2009-08-13, 03:21 PM
Not if my team can help it! :smallwink:

Yeah, yours and the other two teams in the division. And the Niners, if they can't stop beating themselves. :smalleek:

An Enemy Spy
2009-08-13, 03:24 PM
Yeah, yours and the other two teams in the division. And the Niners, if they can't stop beating themselves. :smalleek:

Do Rams really count as a team? I always considered them more of a speed bump

Erloas
2009-08-13, 03:32 PM
Well I'm interesting in seeing the Denver/Bears games in 2 weeks.

We'll just keep it simple and say that McDaniels has dug himself a hole with the fans and things had better start going well for him soon if he is to have any chance.
Personally I'm on Cutlers side of that whole ordeal. I think McDaniels is going to have a hard time getting the team to trust him after he cut 1/3 of the roster before personally seeing a single one of them in a game or even at camp. With Cutler I can see the point of always talking about potential trades, especially if there is some obvious issue with a player and a new scheme, but McDaniels didn't even do anything before looking at a trade. They hadn't run a single play in camp or anything to see if there might be potential issues with Culter in a new scheme and he still started talking about trading him.

At this point I'm still a Denver fan, but I'm not entirely sure why. They have absolutely nothing in common with the team I grew up loving other then still being located in the same city. In one action they cut every single tie to their previous teams and previous way of doing things. And yes, teams go through transitions all the time, but it usually takes some time and its a transition, not a complete sudden change.

skywalker
2009-08-13, 04:24 PM
I don't particularly follow pro football (mostly just the Panthers and occasionally the Pats, since my family is from MA and I'm probably required to like them by some football law), but I'm definitely getting pumped for football season in general.

+1

I find NFL football exceedingly boring until after the final bowl game is played. Not sure why, it's just not that exciting for me.

I've 22 days, 20 hours, 10 minutes, and a few seconds before the start of ECU Pirates football, and I'm gonna be there (hopefully) to see us destroy Appalachian. It's gonna be good times.

I think your hopefully is misplaced. It should be directly before "destroy," as in "Hopefully destroy." Do not forget Michigan's complacency. Wow I loved that game so much.

I think that's why I have very little passion for pro football compared to college. Because things like the Appy State upset happen every year in the NCAA. In the NFL, they're a rarity. I loved Super Bowl 2008, but for every other Super Bowl I've ever seen, the commercials were more entertaining.

Dirk Kris
2009-08-13, 04:26 PM
Steelers domination...once again.
Tonight's game is gonna be like if everyone was hurt and second string played the SuperBowl.
Also, my roomie loves the Chargers, so I hope they get stomped!

THAC0
2009-08-13, 07:28 PM
College ball is way better!

...But if I had to pick a pro team, HERE WE GO STEELERS!

Keld Denar
2009-08-13, 07:33 PM
Maybe if we set our goals for Detroit low enough, they'll be able to achieve them! I'm gonna hope for: 1-15 season and average at LEAST 90 yards of offense per game and keeping interceptions below 3 per game. I think thats a very reasonable and reachable goal. You know...baby steps and all that jazz.

And sadly, I'll probably still be disappointed.

I think your hopefully is misplaced. It should be directly before "destroy," as in "Hopefully destroy." Do not forget Michigan's complacency. Wow I loved that game so much.

As Michigan State University Alumni, I can tell you flat out that YOU didn't enjoy that football game as much as I did...

RTGoodman
2009-08-13, 07:41 PM

Eh, I had a great time watching that game (in fact, once I realized what was happening, I completely abandoned watching the ECU game that was on that evening), but I'm still not THAT impressed by App. They've had some good years, and they've undeniably been GOOD, but I think this might be another big year for the Pirates. Skip Holtz didn't leave, I believe we've got a lot of returning talent, and after the loss to Kentucky in the bowl game this past year, I think they'll be ready to win not just the C-USA Championship, but also a pretty big bowl game.

(Of course, as I've said in previous years, my Pirates have the uncanny knack to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, so I could be completely and totally wrong. :smalltongue:)

Also, if you guys want something fun to watch come November 5, check out the ECU/VA Tech game - there's going to be a "Pirate Out," where people are trying to get all the ECU fans in attendance (i.e., a lot of them, since it's a home game) to come in full pirate regalia. It's the game I'm looking forward to most this season, I think.

Erloas
2009-08-13, 08:33 PM
I think that's why I have very little passion for pro football compared to college. Because things like the Appy State upset happen every year in the NCAA. In the NFL, they're a rarity. I loved Super Bowl 2008, but for every other Super Bowl I've ever seen, the commercials were more entertaining.
You see quite a few upsets in the NFL almost every week. In terms of Super Bowl upsets they are fairly common too, there are just few of them that are huge upsets because there is seldom a very huge difference in expectations of the two teams for the upset to be considered big.

I never did care much for college football. Maybe its because I started watching the NFL and now watching college just seems so amaturish... I also like a good solid defense and I do enjoy highly defensive games. The defense in college football leaves a lot to be desired.

An Enemy Spy
2009-08-13, 08:38 PM
I like NFL more than college because there's something about it that just seems better. I can't really say what it is. Also, there isn't a rediculous amount of teams and a hopelessly byzantine standings formula.

Master_Rahl22
2009-08-13, 08:48 PM
I'm doing almost the same as Keld Denar. If the Chiefs can go at least 3-13 and not set a league record for fewest sacks in a season, then I'll be happy. I don't have a lot of faith in Cassel cause I think he just waltzed into a team setup to make any QB look like a star, so we'll see.

On a much happier note, I have 2 fantasy drafts coming up in a couple of weeks, and I'm shooting for the championship this year. Last year managed 2nd and 4th, so we'll see.

As far as college football, I'm curious to see how Mizzou does this year after losing 10 or so starters, 7 of which were drafted. One thing's for sure, and that's that I'm glad Chase Daniel is gone so he can't lose the KU game for us this year. :smallfurious:

Tharivol123
2009-08-13, 11:48 PM
As Michigan State University Alumni, I can tell you flat out that YOU didn't enjoy that football game as much as I did...

Being from Michigan originally (attending a UW school), and the fact that one of my professors taught at Appalachian State a few years prior, I enjoyed that game on several levels.

As for the NFL, being in the heart of Packer country (and growing up there) makes it very hard to be a Carolina Panthers fan. Time for another Super Bowl to be ended solely by stupidity in play selection in the playoffs. Honestly if *huge rambling rant struck for your safety*.

@Rahl: Let me know if you want help in choosing. I haven't come in lower than 3rd in seven years, two leagues a year.

THAC0
2009-08-14, 12:15 AM

Oh, I most certainly did. PSU all the way. :smallcool:

skywalker
2009-08-14, 01:31 AM

My Michigan hatred has grown since then. At the time, you're probably right.

But at this point? It's probably pretty close. I have some serious retroactive enjoyment.

(Of course, as I've said in previous years, my Pirates have the uncanny knack to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, so I could be completely and totally wrong. :smalltongue:)

It is such a shame that this is true. What was it last year? Oh yes, beat WVU, VT, and Tulane before losing to NC State, Houston, and Virginia? Man, that is indeed snatching defeat. I didn't mean you guys wouldn't be good. Just that you should never, ever sleep on Appy State.

You see quite a few upsets in the NFL almost every week. In terms of Super Bowl upsets they are fairly common too, there are just few of them that are huge upsets because there is seldom a very huge difference in expectations of the two teams for the upset to be considered big.

Exactly. There is no "David and Goliath" in pro football. Everyone is about even. The reason that Super Bowl was entertaining was not because it was an upset (altho that helped). It was entertaining because of the ridiculous miracles that were created on the field. I think pro football misses that a lot.

Beyond that, I think that because of the nature of the game (with trades, multi-million dollar pay checks, etc), the game loses some passion. When a player signs with a particular college, they know they are spending their college career there. Not so in the pros, where you wind up playing more for yourself and your next contract. Along with that, I think there is sometimes a temptation to hold back and make sure to save yourself from injury that doesn't happen in college football.

Bottom line, I feel like college football players are much more inclined to play every snap like it is their last, and that is the kind of football I like to see, regardless of the skill level.

I like NFL more than college because there's something about it that just seems better. I can't really say what it is. Also, there isn't a rediculous amount of teams and a hopelessly byzantine standings formula.

I think it might be that... they're better. You know, better athletes, better coaches, etc. I'm convinced that I'd rather be hit by a train than by an all-pro safety. I mean, I'm not sure, but they'd probably both hurt about the same.

An Enemy Spy
2009-08-14, 10:45 AM
*Sigh* Patriots and Steelers:smallannoyed: both won.
One thing I am happy about however is Dallas getting trounced by the Raiders. Let's hope Oakland doesn't do so well when the Hawks face them.

Telonius
2009-08-14, 11:57 AM
:smallfrown: Looks like it's gonna be another long year for this Redskins fan. (Or short season, as the case may be).

Wonder if we could put Snyder up for trade....

DraPrime
2009-08-14, 01:28 PM
You know what I wanna see? I wanna see the Patriots get that perfect season, like they should have if it hadn't been for those damn Giants.

Joran
2009-08-14, 07:59 PM
:smallfrown: Looks like it's gonna be another long year for this Redskins fan. (Or short season, as the case may be).

Wonder if we could put Snyder up for trade....

Probably not, Snyder makes a lot of money. He's actually not that bad of an owner. Sure, he tries to gouge as much money out of the fans as possible, and he builds the team in a fantasy football kind of manner that doesn't seem to be a viable strategy to win a championship. But you can't say he doesn't try to spend money and he isn't trying to win. There are quite a few owners out there that are worse.

Despite my location on this board, I actually live in Maryland, so I hedge my bets with the Ravens. I do the same with both the Orioles and the Nationals. I'm fairly sure it's wrong, but I respect the Steelers even though they are a divisional rival. Heck, I like the Giants and the Eagles... hate the Cowboys though :)

An Enemy Spy
2009-08-16, 12:51 AM
W00T
Seahawks win!

CDR_Doom
2009-08-16, 01:49 AM
As a resident of that fair North Florida city known as Jacksonville, I have learned never to have hope for a good season, as our players will do everything in their power to be mediocre when it really counts:smallannoyed:

I have to second the motion that college is better than pro, not only because I get fed up with the rampant greed and disrespect of the game that is so common in the pros now, but because I personally enjoy watching a less skillfully played game. For me, watching pro football(and also baseball) is more boring because it becomes a contest to see which team makes less errors. I prefer a game where the deciding factor is which athletes made an outstanding effort.

Keld Denar
2009-08-16, 02:14 AM
Your team might be rife with disappointment, but at least you didn't set a league record for the only team to achieve a perfect 0-16 in the history of the game...

Yea...that bad...

CDR_Doom
2009-08-16, 08:07 AM
Your team might be rife with disappointment, but at least you didn't set a league record for the only team to achieve a perfect 0-16 in the history of the game...

Yea...that bad...

Yeah, I know, we can all say "at least we're better than Detroit", but it doesn't really make you feel better.:smallamused: It's just frustrating because they aren't really that bad, they just shoot themselves in the foot every time it seems like they are finally going to have an outstanding season.

Roukon
2009-08-16, 03:53 PM
GO VIKINGS!

Maybe this year we can get through the playoffs and into the Super Bowl. And, maybe we can try to win this time.

I'm not holding my breath, though. And, thankfully, I was alive the past 4 times we made it.

rankrath
2009-08-16, 03:59 PM
College ball is way better!

...But if I had to pick a pro team, HERE WE GO STEELERS!

Steelers domination...once again.

I hate both of you. :smalltongue:

And it looks like another fine season of browns football is just around the corner. Giving up all our scoring chances in favor of turnovers and penalties. :smallmad:

KerfuffleMach2
2009-08-16, 11:45 PM
I expect that the words "Well at least we beat Green Bay" will be heard fairly constantly after yet another disappointing Bears season.

That line could be used alternatively with "At least we're not Detroit."

An Enemy Spy
2009-08-22, 12:51 PM
I'm predicting a Seahawks victory over the Broncos tonight after seeing how they played against the Niners

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-08-22, 04:22 PM
Preseason NFL games don't have once ounce of meaning to them. I mean the Lions went 4-0 in the preseason last year and we all know how that turned out.

KerfuffleMach2
2009-08-22, 10:54 PM
Preseason NFL games don't have once ounce of meaning to them. I mean the Lions went 4-0 in the preseason last year and we all know how that turned out.

You know what I find really sad about that? The number of people here that are still 100% loyal to the Lions. I mean, they haven't been a good team since the 50's. And still, at least half of the people here will not stop supporting them. Ever.

At least they have good fans.

An Enemy Spy
2009-08-23, 12:55 AM
I don't care if it's preseason. A win's a win. And the Seahawks won big time!

KjeldorMage
2009-08-23, 07:20 AM
You know what I find really sad about that? The number of people here that are still 100% loyal to the Lions. I mean, they haven't been a good team since the 50's. And still, at least half of the people here will not stop supporting them. Ever.

At least they have good fans.

Yes, I have fallen in love with the ugliest girl in the ball, but damn it she is sentimental and I love her!

It is dedication and heartbreak but damn it is better than being a bandwagoner. The joy I will feel when the Lions some day win a Super Bowl is probably 400X the joy a Steelers fan would if they won that same Super Bowl. As Drew Sharp says, "Heaven help the city of Detroit if they win a Super Bowl. It will become a post-apocalyptic nightmare of a celebration orgy".

Anyway, the preseason is key in looking at how players do. The score doesn't matter (though when your team does something good or ends up winning it is a bit satisfying) but what you are really looking at is how individual players are performing, and of course seeing if anyone has gotten injured.

As for now Detroit seems to be in the same boat as they did last year. Poor tackling and missed defensive assignments. Ah well, "glug, glug,glug,glug"

As for pro versus college, the NFL is the best football product out there, period. It is the high level that the game is played at that makes it entertaining. You are watching world class athletes duel each week. There are 17 little mini-holidays each year where around the country groups of people congregate, set up their computers to check their fantasy stats, drink lots of beer, and watch 8 hours of football. I think the religious connotations are there. Lets see how many people could go to church for 8 hours on a Sunday?

College football has a really strong following, but it just can't compare to the powerhouse that the NFL is.

An Enemy Spy
2009-08-23, 11:27 AM
As a Lions fan, is it even possible to be dissapointed anymore?

ChameleonX11
2009-08-23, 08:15 PM
I'm a Greenbay fan, and my father is a Bills fan.

Imagine my suprise when he turned on the rerun of last nights game... That was both awkward and, well, pleasing...

But still, football is back and the earth can return to normal finally.

KerfuffleMach2
2009-08-23, 10:19 PM
As a Lions fan, is it even possible to be dissapointed anymore?

Yes.

When the other Detroit teams start following in their footsteps.

A common phrase I have heard here:

At least we still have the Red Wings.

raitalin
2009-08-23, 11:16 PM
Wooo, see the drubbing my beloved Bears gave the Lesser Manning and his Giants? That was fun to watch.

Seriously, super excited for this season. I don't even know what its like to have a franchise QB, and I've liked Cutler ever since he entered the league. It'll take some time for Cutler and Hester to get a rhythm, but he's already finding the TEs consistently, which get those 3rd down convos we've been needing.

Now I just have to control myself so I don't get disappointed like I do when the Cubs look promising.