PDA

View Full Version : Wizard questions

TheBibliophile
2009-08-13, 02:53 PM
At some point or another, I'm going to write a fantasy novel based on the Dungeons and Dragons rules, and I had a few questions (since I don't play D&D myself).

First, what are spell levels as opposed to normal wizard levels?
Second, what rules are there for how many spells you can learn?

Doc Roc
2009-08-13, 02:55 PM
I.... First, which system of D&D?

Second, here is a link to the wizards entry of the srd (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Wizard).

Third, your second question has a negative answer.

kamikasei
2009-08-13, 03:01 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/magicOverview.htm

Spells come in levels from zero (cantrips) to nine and above (although "and above" is not part of the normal system; very high-level characters can learn and cast epic spells, which don't have normal levels, and can get spell slots above ninth levels which they can use to cast normal-level spells which have been boosted in various ways). These have effectively nothing to do with a character's level. Character level is not an IC concept, but spell levels presumably are. Wizards and clerics get access to level n spells at character level 2n-1 (so first-level spells at level 1, second-level spells at 3, ninth-level spells at 17, etc.)

"Spells known" varies from class to class. Clerics and druids don't have a limited list, but can prepare any spells available to them. Wizards have unlimited spells known but have to record them in their spellbook, which costs them money. Sorcerers have a limited number of spells known dependent on their level. Other classes work in different ways.

edit: Gah, I reflexively assumed 3.5 edition. Also, to be honest, I would advise against this: unless you're writing a D&D novel, it's not a particularly suitable system for dramatic fiction.

Flickerdart
2009-08-13, 03:02 PM
Wizards can learn as many spells as they want, provided they can afford the scribing fees, and get two free ones every level. Sorcerers, Favored Souls and Spirit Shamans can only learn spells through gaining levels. Clerics, Druids and the ilk know all their spells automatically.
There are nine spell levels and cantrips (0th level). Wizards start out with 0th and 1st level spells, then gain 2nd level spells at 3rd, 3rd level spells at 5th and so on (one spell level every two character levels) until finally they gain 9th level spells at 17th. Then there are Epic spells (which you can use after 21st level provided you take the feat for it) which are another mess altogether.

Another_Poet
2009-08-13, 03:07 PM
Also, be aware that Dungeons & Dragons is all copyrighted and somewhat fiercely potected by WotC. With the exception of select rules released as Open Gaming content for anyone to use (with a very strict usage license) you cannot just take things out of Dungeons & Dragons and publish your own stories about them.

In fact, there are specific lines of fiction books licensed to use D&D concepts and worlds. You might consider looking into those and submitting a query letter to their publisher(s) to see if you can write an actual D&D book.

On a personal note (both as a freelance writer and as an avid D&D enthusiast) I will add that your writing might actually do better to forego the D&D parallels. Many of the concepts behind wizards & magic in D&D were originally inspired by several not-so-great fantasy authors beloved by the game's founder. Since then, those ideas have been further tweaked to be central to game balance, and in some cases they seem even less fantastic (or at least less interesting) because of it. The D&D style of wizardly magic is one of the "sacred cows" of the hobby that many players feel we'd be better off to get rid of even in our games - let alone in fiction.

I guess the point of my whole ramble is, if you're good enough to write a D&D novel you're good enough to write a fantasy novel set in a world entirely your own. You'll probably be more satisfied with the latter.

That said, no matter what you decide to do, good luck! I hope it goes well for you :)

ap

Jack Zander
2009-08-13, 03:08 PM
Wait, you're writing a novel about a system you aren't familar with? I'd get a group together a play a few sessions first.

Jergmo
2009-08-13, 05:57 PM
Yeah, the trademarked monsters make me a sad panda. :smallfrown: I use Beholders and Illithids in my campaign (homebrewed setting), and I tend to write stories involving the setting but in those stories I have to edit out my favorite Aberrations.

Kurald Galain
2009-08-13, 06:02 PM
At some point or another, I'm going to write a fantasy novel based on the Dungeons and Dragons rules, and I had a few questions (since I don't play D&D myself).

This paradox strikes me as problematic. If you want to write about something you don't know about, that'll likely result in bad writing. So I'd suggest either writing a fantasy novel not based on D&D (since pretty much every good fantasy novel isn't) or spend a few years playing D&D first.

RTGoodman
2009-08-13, 06:25 PM
Here's some valuable information (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4spot/20090717)from Phil Athans, Senior Managing Director for the Books Publishing Division at WotC. Pay special attention to, at least, the last paragraph.

Wizards of the Coast: Many gamers are also interested in contributing fiction to the novel line. While submissions are currently closed, what advice might you have for potential authors, particularly those interested in writing for Wizards' shared worlds? Is it more important to know the game, to craft a story, or equal measures of each? And are there any submissions you've seen over the years that while they weren't (or couldn't have been) turned into a novel nevertheless stood out in your mind?

Phil: The best advice I can give to aspiring authors of any sort of tie-in fiction is just don’t ever, ever, write a full-length novel “on spec.” We just aren’t permitted to read someone’s FR novel, Dragonlance novel, or anything else based on one of our games. And since we’re the only people who can publish something based on our trademarked properties, if we can’t read it, no one can read it, so just don’t waste your creative energy.

As the publishing business gets a little tougher, and we’re getting more selective in the number of books we publish, we’re relying more and more on experienced authors, so opportunities to break in are getting fewer and farther between. I don’t love that that’s happening, by the way. One of my favorite parts of this job over the years has been discovering new authors, and nothing brings me greater joy than that phone call to an aspiring author that tells them they aren’t aspiring anymore, they’re going to be published. But reality has crept in and made things a bit tighter.

Now that having been said, I would still advise aspiring authors to keep an eye on our website. We’ve held open calls for novel submissions in the past and may well again, though admittedly not in the next few months at least.

In an attempt to answer the rest of the question: no one should ever try to write a tie-in novel that ties in to something you’re not a fan of. If you’ve never played D&D and try to write a D&D novel, we’ll know, and so will the readers, and it won’t be a happy experience for anyone. Writing tie-in fiction is in many ways harder than just exploring your own fantasy world. You have to be ready to do research and if you don’t love the world you’re researching, well, that would have to just be a painful process.

Zadus
2009-08-13, 06:40 PM
"No matter how Dragnar, the Barbarian from Icefrost, tried he could not overcome the golem's damage reduction. If only Sorcecus had cast greater magic weapon upon his blade, but Sorcecus was dropped below 0 hit points. Alas their cleric was out of heals, but would learn raise dead next level anyway. Regardless Dragnar would be careful to stay within his relative challenge rating in the future."

I'm not sure what you'd gain by writing a D&D book, and unless you plan to poke fun at the rules, I suggest coming up with your own world. Really D&D was made just to let people play standard fantasy games; not the other way around.

I wrote a book in a fantasy setting. The start was based of a D&D game, and I've statted out characters and made prestige classes, but that was all after the fact and you'd never tell when reading the book. Well you might notice, it follows fantasy conventions, but that's about it.

A good story is a good story. It certainly doesn't need a system.

Starbuck_II
2009-08-13, 06:54 PM
"No matter how Dragnar, the Barbarian from Icefrost, tried he could not overcome the golem's damage reduction. If only Sorcecus had cast greater magic weapon upon his blade, but Sorcecus was dropped below 0 hit points. Alas their cleric was out of heals, but would learn raise dead next level anyway. Regardless Dragnar would be careful to stay within his relative challenge rating in the future."

I'd read it.

Zadus
2009-08-13, 07:14 PM
I'd read it.

Now I feel like pulling a George Costanza and living my life backwards.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-13, 07:38 PM

Sounds like sigworthy material.

Volos
2009-08-13, 08:34 PM
Wait, you're writing a novel about a system you aren't familar with? I'd get a group together a play a few sessions first.

I agree with Jack... you should either play the system or read a few D&D inspired books yourself. The Dragonlance series is based on a bunch of amazing adventures one group had. Without the background knowledge of the D&D rules or setting, you might as well be copying Tolkien.

Zadus
2009-08-14, 03:50 PM
Sounds like sigworthy material.

Thanks a bunch.