PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Darkness or Shadow spells

Rhiannon87
2009-08-13, 03:36 PM
A fellow player in a game I'm in is gong to be bringing in a character with the shade template. Majority of the awesome benefits of the template are dependent upon the character being in darkness/shadows. I suggested that he get an item that continually manifested darkness (12,000 gp) or deeper darkness (18,000 gp). While those would technically work, it would also mean that a) we'd never see him, just the blur of permanent non-light surrounding him, and b) he'd stand out rather obviously in a crowd, something that his sneaky character would like to avoid.

So I'm trying to figure out if there are any darkness or shadow spells that might work a bit better for this scenario. A spell that creates shadows around someone so that a magical amulet continually replicating could be made. It doesn't have to make him immune to countering light spells, and he's got about 40,000 gold to spend, so there is an upper limit on what spell level we can work with here.

Also, would it be unspeakably cruel and/or totally awesome for my character, who may or may not end up as this character's technical boss, to buy a lantern of daylight so that when he gets on her nerves she can neutralize him via blinding radiance?

Keld Denar
2009-08-13, 03:42 PM
Just make it use-activated at will. It would last for what...3 minutes per use? Kinda like a Ring of Invisibility. That one makes you invisible for 3 minute durations, but you can use it as much as you want. Just get really good at counting to 174 or something.

That way, when he's out in a croud, he doesn't have the obvious "HEY! IM RIGHT HERE" ink blot over himself, there is an opportunity cost to activate it in a surprise situation, but for most purposes it would be effectively "continuous". Pricing should be the same as a continuous item.

Make sense?

Yora
2009-08-13, 03:46 PM
I would research a spell that has the exactly same effect as blur, but has the (shadow) subschool and shrouds the character in a smoky cloud of shadows.
And then make an item that can activate this power as needed.

But it depends on what abilities he wants ti use while in darkness.

evil-frosty
2009-08-13, 04:36 PM
Well he could take a level of warlock and take the Darkness invocation. But that is probably not what he wants to do. Otherwise i agree with Keld Denar

AslanCross
2009-08-13, 05:00 PM
I'd make sure I have a Brooch of Shielding, though. You never know when those Magic Missiles are going to come.

<_<

>_>

Eldariel
2009-08-13, 05:02 PM
I'd make sure I have a Brooch of Shielding, though. You never know when those Magic Missiles are going to come.

<_<

>_>

In Soviet Russia, the Darkness Magic Missiles you!

Rhiannon87
2009-08-13, 05:36 PM

<_<

>_>

WIN.

The at-will activation is a good idea, I'll mention it to him. I think the trick will just be making sure he remembers to tell the DM when he has it activated or not. He's a new-ish player, which is why I'm helping him with this.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-13, 06:24 PM
I suggested that he get an item that continually manifested darkness (12,000 gp) or deeper darkness (18,000 gp). While those would technically work, it would also mean that a) we'd never see him, just the blur of permanent non-light surrounding him
Actually, you'd see him dimly, which (in game terms) means adequately enough for anything short of reading or doing a precise attack. In fact, in pitch blackness Darkness creates shadowy illumination, so you'd be able to see just fine.

I wouldn't try to use a custom magic item in this case. Deeper Darkness (stupid name, since the "darkness" is no deeper, just bigger and longer-lasting) lasts 1 day/level, so getting this cast on a couple of items (that you can cover as needed) every couple of weeks should be all that's needed.