PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Scrolls

Morquard
2009-08-13, 03:44 PM
Hiya :)

Just finishing up my druid character, and buying equipment.
I have some money left over and figured I could buy a few scrolls that might come in handy, but are too situational to have the spells prepared all the time.

However this part in the description for spells disturbs me

Decipher the Writing

The writing on a scroll must be deciphered before a character can use it or know exactly what spell it contains. This requires a read magic spell or a successful Spellcraft check (DC 20 + spell level).

Does that just count when you find a scroll somewhere and don't know yet what its for, and someone has to determine what it does?
Or do I actually have to roll a DC 20+spell level Spellcraft check before I can cast a Cure Light Wounds scroll? (I seriously hope its the first)

And do I understand it corretly that when I'm level 4, and can cast level 2 spells, I can buy and use a Cure Serious Wound scroll (level 3 spell), when I succeed on a DC 6 (5+1) caster level check? Or a level 5 scroll for that matter? (dc 10 in that case?)

And can I take 10 on teh caster level check? :)

Xaklin_Magewrit
2009-08-13, 03:46 PM
Its the first you need the spellcraft check if you wanted to identify a scroll of magic missle. If the spell is on your spell list you can use it regulary no check.

Yora
2009-08-13, 03:48 PM
You only need the spellcraft check to identify the spell. Once you know what spell it is, you can simply cast it from the scroll as a single use item.

vampire2948
2009-08-13, 03:49 PM
When you buy it, you know what it is.

The decipher script check you mentioned is just for unknown scrolls.

The roll to actually use the scroll is DC scroll caster level+1. So... pretty easy to pass.
The DC is higher if you can't cast the spell yourself, though... which shouldn't be a problem for Cure Light Wounds.

EDIT - Ninjas! Everywhere! :smalleek:

You only need the spellcraft check to identify the spell. Once you know what spell it is, you can simply cast it from the scroll as a single use item.

Scrolls have charges, y'know..

Up to 3 for a minor scroll, 4 for a medium and 6 for a major.

Keshay
2009-08-13, 03:57 PM

You're misinterpreting that. Minor Scrolls have up to three spells on them. These are not charges, but entirely seperate entities all on the same piece of paper. The spells could all be the same, but if randomly generated, it is unlikely.

kamikasei
2009-08-13, 03:58 PM

No... what they have is multiple spells on a single scroll. But that's really just multiple scrolls on a single physical piece of parchment.

Does that just count when you find a scroll somewhere and don't know yet what its for, and someone has to determine what it does?
Or do I actually have to roll a DC 20+spell level Spellcraft check before I can cast a Cure Light Wounds scroll? (I seriously hope its the first)

As mentioned, you just have to decipher the scroll once, after that you don't require any check to cast from it (unless it's not on your spell list, or too high level for you). Personally, I'd allow a player purchasing a scroll from a trustworthy source to take it as pre-deciphered - it's written in a standard format, or something. Even if you don't do that, it's trivial to say that you take twenty on your Spellcraft checks to identify any such items after the purchasing is done / once you're back at the inn / whenever.

...Wait, crap, it's once per day. Uh, well you can certainly take ten on it, but I wouldn't bother making your players go through the hassle.

vampire2948
2009-08-13, 04:02 PM
Oh. Great. /cries himself to sleep

Sorry for the misinformation.

Thurbane
2009-08-13, 04:28 PM
This means if you're a class who doesn't have Read Magic on their spell list (say, Dread Necromancer), you really need to pump your spellcraft.

Jergmo
2009-08-13, 05:45 PM
Wait, what? Since when do scrolls not have charges? :smallconfused:

Edit: A scroll is a spell (or collection of spells) that has been stored in written form. A spell on a scroll can be used only once. The writing vanishes from the scroll when the spell is activated. Using a scroll is basically like casting a spell.

Table: Number of Spells on Scroll Scroll Type Number of Spells
Minor scroll 1d3 spells
Medium scroll 1d4 spells
Major scroll 1d6 spells

I could have a scroll with Identify, Magic Missile, and Grease on it, but each one would be a one time use only.

Thurbane
2009-08-13, 07:44 PM
I think people are being a bit pendantic about terminology.

A scroll with three spells is effectively an item with 3 "charges". It is also 3 one time use spells.

holywhippet
2009-08-13, 08:44 PM
My thought is that magical scrolls are written in a particular language depending on who scribed it. So a human cleric from a particular region will scribe scrolls use the language they know while an elven wizard will scribe scrolls in their native tongue.

As such, if you are buying from a region where you know the language you don't need to make checks or use read magic since you can already read what is on the scroll.

It's when you pick up scrolls in dungeons etc. that they could be written in a completely different language or use a structure that you don't understand and must decipher.

Assassin89
2009-08-13, 09:54 PM
And can I take 10 on teh caster level check? :)

No you cannot.

Ability Checks and Caster Level Checks

The normal take 10 and take 20 rules apply for ability checks. Neither rule applies to caster level checks.

Thurbane
2009-08-14, 01:40 AM
...unless you have the Arcane Mastery feat (CAr, p.73).

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-14, 02:42 AM
Slight Thread Derail, sorry, but since you apparently can take 10 on ability checks, does that mean you can take ten on initiative?

Cyclocone
2009-08-14, 02:57 AM
Taking 10
When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, calculate your result as if you had rolled a 10. For many routine tasks, taking 10 makes them automatically successful. Distractions or threats (such as combat) make it impossible for a character to take 10. In most cases, taking 10 is purely a safety measure —you know (or expect) that an average roll will succeed but fear that a poor roll might fail, so you elect to settle for the average roll (a 10). Taking 10 is especially useful in situations where a particularly high roll wouldn’t help.

So no, you can't take 10 on initiative.

Morquard
2009-08-14, 04:55 AM
Thanks everyone, thats pretty much as I suspected.

kamikasei
2009-08-14, 05:03 AM
My thought is that magical scrolls are written in a particular language depending on who scribed it. So a human cleric from a particular region will scribe scrolls use the language they know while an elven wizard will scribe scrolls in their native tongue.

That's a viable approach, but explicitly contradicted by the rules.

To record an arcane spell in written form, a character uses complex notation that describes the magical forces involved in the spell. The writer uses the same system no matter what her native language or culture. However, each character uses the system in her own way. Another person’s magical writing remains incomprehensible to even the most powerful wizard until she takes time to study and decipher it.

To decipher an arcane magical writing (such as a single spell in written form in another’s spellbook or on a scroll), a character must make a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + the spell’s level).