PDA

View Full Version : Create Instanced Dungeon

Random832
2009-08-13, 05:06 PM
Suppose I, as an epic level wizard, for whatever reason, wanted to create a doorway that creates a new copy of a dungeon (or tower or whatever) for each group of associated people that attempts to enter it? What spells and/or epic seeds would be involved in such a task?

HCL
2009-08-13, 05:38 PM
Suppose I, as an epic level wizard, for whatever reason, wanted to create a doorway that creates a new copy of a dungeon (or tower or whatever) for each group of associated people that attempts to enter it? What spells and/or epic seeds would be involved in such a task?

I think that sounds sort of like creating demiplanes. I am not exactly sure on the specifics of that.

Random832
2009-08-13, 08:10 PM
I think that sounds sort of like creating demiplanes. I am not exactly sure on the specifics of that.

Well, the spell is genesis - but what would be needed to, er, "furnish" it, can it be done automatically (maybe with the trap mechanics?), etc.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-08-13, 09:09 PM

Er...seeds, conjure, life, fortify, factors...head starts hurting.

Do you need to spell it out exactly? If this is an epic level wizard NPC doing this for the non-epic PCs, just give the conditions of the spell, and give it a name. For ex,

Create Dungeon Instance
Conjuration (Creation, Healing, Teleportation)
Spellcraft DC: Some DC
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 5 ft.
Effect: One duplicate dungeon
Duration: 8 hours
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
To Develop: Some gp; Some days; Some XP. Seed: conjure, life, fortify, transport. Factors: Some factors.

Upon casting, the character creates a duplicate of a dungeon as designed and populated by the caster. The entrance is clearly marked. The dungeon will last 8 hours. Anyone who enters may choose to exit before the duration ends. Anyone still inside after the duration ends is transported back to the entrance in whatever state they were in when the spell ends.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-13, 09:17 PM
Er...seeds, conjure, life, fortify, factors...head starts hurting.

Do you need to spell it out exactly? If this is an epic level wizard NPC doing this for the non-epic PCs, just give the conditions of the spell, and give it a name. For ex,

Create Dungeon Instance
Conjuration (Creation, Healing, Teleportation)
Spellcraft DC: Some DC
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 5 ft.
Effect: One duplicate dungeon
Duration: 8 hours
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
To Develop: Some gp; Some days; Some XP. Seed: conjure, life, fortify, transport. Factors: Some factors.

Upon casting, the character creates a duplicate of a dungeon as designed and populated by the caster. The entrance is clearly marked. The dungeon will last 8 hours. Anyone who enters may choose to exit before the duration ends. Anyone still inside after the duration ends is transported back to the entrance in whatever state they were in when the spell ends.But even if it's not for a PC, PCs are presumably going to interact with it at some point. And if they decide to try to research it, duplicating the NPCs research, the DM will have to come up with all of that anyways, except he'll be trying to figure it out in the middle of the session rather than getting all of our advice.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-08-13, 09:25 PM
But even if it's not for a PC, PCs are presumably going to interact with it at some point. And if they decide to try to research it, duplicating the NPCs research, the DM will have to come up with all of that anyways, except he'll be trying to figure it out in the middle of the session rather than getting all of our advice.

Cross that bridge when you get to it if it ever comes...the whole calculating the epic DC thing and making it come out reasonable is a pain especially for a spell like this. For ex, the conjure seed alone is +2 DC for each additional 20 foot cube created. If a PC wants to research it then, of course, then you have to price it out and put limits on what it can create as 9th level or epic spell.

Edit: Of course, if anyone is willing to come up with the specific of the spell, more power to them!

Fixer
2009-08-14, 06:43 AM
As a GM, don't take the epic seed route.

Artifact of Adventure
When this artifact is touched, those who touch it are transported to a random demiplane of its creation. All creatures who touch the artifact within the next 8 hour are transported to the same location on the same demiplane. The demiplane is automatically populated with creatures summoned from other planes of existence, trapped with random traps formed by the demiplane itself, and filled with items appropriate to its creation. Creatures summoned, traps created, and treasures formed will possess a CR approximately equal (ranging from 2 lower to 3 higher) to the level of the individual who first touched the artifact. After the 8 hour period has passed, the demiplane collapses and deposits all those within it next to the artifact, along with whatever possessions they are carrying on their person. The artifact then goes inert as it recharges its energies over the course of (pick a number) hours.