PDA

View Full Version : Atomic robo?

Kurald Galain
2009-08-13, 05:49 PM
I'm curious as to what other playgrounders think of Atomic Robo (which is one of several other projects by Brian Clevinger, the guy who writes 8-Bit Theatre).

From what I've read so far, it appears as if it's trying to be Dr. McNinja, but failing. It's nearly but not quite as over-the-top, but it lacks its sense of humor. Imho.

busterswd
2009-08-13, 05:59 PM
It reminds me of Hellboy with Clevinger humor thrown in. Not a terrible combination, and the dinosaur one actually made me chuckle. On the other hand, it's not something I'd actually pay to read.

Indon
2009-08-14, 08:52 AM
From what I've seen of it (on the website), it seems to be a quality camp humor comic.

I'd buy it before I'd buy most comic books - but I rarely buy any comic books.

t_catt11
2009-08-14, 08:53 AM
It's... meh. for some reason, I just can't get into it. Sometimes, it feels like it is just trying too hard, maybe. Warbot in Accounting is worth more to me... too bad it's never updated.

Of course, like any good webcomic fanboy, I dearly love 8 Bit itself.

Gez
2009-08-14, 09:23 AM
It's done with skill, but it lacks a spark. Compare with, in about the same style, Dr. McNinja -- there's no question which is technically well-made but misses its je ne sais quoi and which is actually very good.

t_catt11
2009-08-14, 11:17 AM
Well said, Gez. Doctor McNinja *is* very similar, what with the incredible "over the top-ness"... but I'd take the Doc every day, and twice on Sundays.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-14, 11:23 AM
Warbot in Accounting is pretty much the only strip on that site that I like. And by like, I mean worship.

Gundato
2009-08-14, 01:44 PM
I couldn't really get into Atomic Robo. I grabbed the first two issues, but it just flowed horribly. Really feels like it was a webcomic that just got printed in book form. I'll buy a Trade Paperback one day (will probably flow better as an all-at-once reading), but I am pretty soured.

As for Warbot in Accounting: That is really hit and miss. When it is good, it is amazingly hilarious. When it is bad, it makes the Dilbert parodies look inspired.