PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts in the Playground

Ricky S
2009-08-13, 07:43 PM
Hey I was interested in who else in the playground has done or is involved in any form of martial arts. I myself have previously been involved in Tae Kwon Do and participated in it for three years.

Innis Cabal
2009-08-13, 07:49 PM
First (sho)Dan in Ishin Ryu karate and a master level in tonfa of the same style.

Moff Chumley
2009-08-13, 07:51 PM
Shaolin Kenpo here.

And Tae Kwon Do SUCKS!

*runs away*

Dragonrider
2009-08-13, 07:53 PM
Sho Dan in Shudokan karate. :smalltongue: I also had - have, I suppose - a brown belt in Tae Kwon Do, which I did from ages 9-11. I switched to Shudokan at 11 and have been doing that ever since (...seven years). It took a while to get my black belt, though, because my sensei doesn't promote anyone below the age of sixteen. So then it was a year of Sho Dan Ho and I've been Sho Dan for a year.

Innis Cabal
2009-08-13, 07:56 PM
It took a while to get my black belt, though, because my sensei doesn't promote anyone below the age of sixteen. So then it was a year of Sho Dan Ho and I've been Sho Dan for a year.

This is mostly due to politics, at least for Ishin Ryu, where your not allowed to officaly have your shodan untill you are 18 years of age. It might be similar in Shudokan

OverWilliam
2009-08-13, 08:03 PM
Does Google-fu count? :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2009-08-13, 08:03 PM
This is mostly due to politics, at least for Ishin Ryu, where your not allowed to officaly have your shodan untill you are 18 years of age. It might be similar in Shudokan

It's a dojo rule, nothing inherent to the style. Because my sensei doesn't want to entrust younger kids with the responsibility of being a black belt. In our dojo, all the black belts are supposed to help teach the beginner and intermediate classes. Not all at once. But definitely keep up a presence there. Teaching really does improve your basics and more than once I've understood a kata much better after teaching it to a bunch of color belts.

Innis Cabal
2009-08-13, 08:12 PM
Does Google-fu count? :smalltongue:

Of course it does, its the strongest style known to man

Trog
2009-08-13, 08:22 PM
And Tae Kwon Do SUCKS!

*runs away*
See how well Tae Kwon Do works? He ran away already. :smalltongue::smallwink::smallbiggrin:

I also took Tae Kwon Do for three years. Chung Do Kwon with a little Blue Cottage stuff thrown in iirc. I was young when I took it. I can still count to 10 in Korean though I have long since forgotten all the other Korean I learned unfortunately. The school was very traditional. I even got to see a 2nd and 3rd degree black belt test presided over by Master Kim, a 9th degree black belt from Korea. It was a very good experience all around I found. It was very self-empowering. I'd recommend it to anyone. :smallsmile:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-13, 08:30 PM
I once took Tang Soo Do, or at least I think it was Tang Soo Do. I stopped taking it about 4 or 5 years ago when my Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiopathic_thrombocytopenic_purpura) got a bit worse and in the way. Looking back, my ITP probably wasn't bad enough to make me stop, but I was about 9, and after living with it for 3 years, I'd hit a stage where I was paranoid of doing anything that might possibly be dangerous. The only reasons I don't start again are that I'm far too out of shape now, and I'd need to get back in shape before starting again, and that when I'm trying to raise several thousand dollars so I can go to Japan with People to People, $55 a month can hurt quite a bit.

And no, I don't remember a thing about it.

Worira
2009-08-13, 08:49 PM
I've done some Muay Thai, a tiny bit of ****o-Ryu karate (an excellent dojo, and within walking distance of my house, but unfortunately cut short by my need for orthotics), and am now learning some longsword and rapier.

I would not recommend taekwando to people looking for a method of self-defence.

EDIT: Thanks, filter.

Anuan
2009-08-13, 09:01 PM
Self-trained using ideals and techniques from various martial arts (Wing Chun, Karate, Muay Thai, Dragon Kung Fu, Aiki-Jiujitsu a few others). No, it isn't as effective as being trained face-to-face, but it's better than nothing, been doing it for years, and it's saved my butt more times than I'd like to count, and my life more than once.

TKD is effective if it's taught to be used effectively, but it usually isn't.

Next year I'll be taking up Capoeira in Melbourne for however long I'm in the city, might keep doing it when I move to Brisbane/the Gold Coast, but after the move I'll be getting a Cert IV in Wing Chun and opening my own martial arts school. Will be inviting instructors of other styles to come and teach there, too, because I'm open-minded and awesome like that :smalltongue:

thorgrim29
2009-08-13, 09:06 PM
I'm considering picking up Judo, mostly because I got bored with fencing and I need something to do to stay active. I was looking for a style that doesn't emphasize punching people (not terribly comfortable with the idea, holds and pressure points are more my thing), and I heard some of the moves I learned when I did the abridged RCMP arresting people training was derived from judo.

Arakune
2009-08-13, 09:26 PM
Shaolin Kenpo here.

And Tae Kwon Do SUCKS!

*runs away*

At practical level they aren't the be all, end all. But in fast point based tournament they get quite an advantage because of the speed.

OverdrivePrime
2009-08-13, 09:45 PM
Did the old MAitP thread get judo-chopped? :smallconfused:
I swear one of these pops up ever 6 months or so.

Anyway, I've spent several years training in Shotokan karate. Still haven't gotten around to testing for my black belt, but I'm sure one of these days I'll sit down and actually train the katas I need to know. I've also got a year of training in Kendo, another year of Northern Long Fist Kung Fu (which is hooooorribly ill-suited to my body and fighting style) four years of drunken wrestling, four years of high school wrestling and four years of judo training. Shotokan is the one I love, but would also like to spend more time learning practical application and maybe find a legitimate JKD school in the area. Not so interested in belts and arcane kata and such, much more interested in application, sparring and philosophy.

Aside from three drunken brawls that I'm told I won handily, I've never gotten in a fight in my adult life. For that, I credit the comfort with my own abilities that I'm afforded by my experience with the martial arts. In hostile situations, I'm never nervous, because I know that if push comes to shove, I'll be able to handle myself with ease. Because if that, I'm able to calmly negotiate through bad situations so that they never escalate into violence.

Cheesegear
2009-08-13, 09:46 PM
I've been doing Ju-Jitsu for the past ten years. I've got my Black-Tip, but still am yet to get my Black Belt because I haven't 'pulled my finger out'. I'm aiming to have my Black Belt by this time next year.
Everytime this year, the 'Ju-Jitsu Council' - for lack of a better name - in Australia have a big giant tournament thing in Canberra, and grade for Black Belts. I believe this year's is next week...

...As such, my training recently has been Hell. Because I plan to go to the Seminar...But I wont be grading (not seriously anyway). I'll be going along to go through Hell to prepare me for next year, and I'll take my inevitable failure on the chin.

As I understand it, Ju-Jitsu is the basis of Military and Police unarmed defense maneuvers. I like my club a lot since the teacher and a lot of higher-belts (except myself) are cops, and when teaching newbies (the noobs get beaten out of the club) you can frequently hear "...and this is how it's done on a Saturday night."

What I like about Ju-Jitsu, or at least, my club's syllabus, is that all the 'White Belt' stuff are common-as-dirt occurrences 'on a Saturday night' (hence the above quote) and are extremely useful. It's the 'common sense' Martial Art since it steals a lot of techniques from other styles and gets rid of all the crap.

Weapons-training is all but ignored except for defense against knives. Sword-training is in the syllabus, but it isn't taken seriously because it simply isn't feasible when you're walking down the street...At least I don't pay any attention when they try and teach me sword-work.

RdMarquis
2009-08-13, 09:52 PM
I've been practicing Choy Li Fut (Kung Fu) pretty steadily for the past few years. Well, mostly, it's Kung Fu. See, we do the traditional forms, but training includes grappling and kickboxing.

thubby
2009-08-13, 09:55 PM
taikuando(sport)
karate
MMA
self taught boxing

Arakune
2009-08-13, 09:57 PM
I've been practicing Choy Li Fut (Kung Fu) pretty steadily for the past few years. Well, mostly, it's Kung Fu. See, we do the traditional forms, but training includes grappling and kickboxing.

Original Wing Chung where quite pratical and had ground fighting too, or so I heard.

Renegade Paladin
2009-08-13, 10:11 PM
I practice Western martial arts, both armed and unarmed, though much more frequently armed.

orchitect
2009-08-13, 10:16 PM
Capoeira in the playground!!!!

I did it for six months, but it was way too expensive for my high school budget. I've managed to remember most of the techniques over the years and a few of the songs. I could probably play the instruments too if I sat down and practiced for a bit. God I've love to get back into the ring...

rankrath
2009-08-13, 10:22 PM
I study the Capoferro school of rapier, and dabble a bit in longswords and sabers.

MethosH
2009-08-13, 10:38 PM
Fei Hok Pai (Kung-Fu)
Aikido
Judo
And now I'm starting Krav Maga

EDIT:

Capoeira in the playground!!!!

I did it for six months, but it was way too expensive for my high school budget. I've managed to remember most of the techniques over the years and a few of the songs. I could probably play the instruments too if I sat down and practiced for a bit. God I've love to get back into the ring...

Zum zum zum... Capoeira mata um :smalltongue:

Perenelle
2009-08-13, 10:39 PM
I did Tang Soo Do (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_Soo_Do) until I was two belts away from my black belt. :smallannoyed: we had to move and where we live now the nearest place is two hours away. I really enjoyed it though, and got pretty good at it. Learning to use a Bow staff was one of my favorite things about it. I was also really flexible around the time I did it, I used to be able to stand up and kick my foot up behind my head and hit a board. It was pretty cool. I cant anymore though.
Tang Soo Do was one of the best experiences I've ever had. :smallsmile:

SurlySeraph
2009-08-13, 11:01 PM
I did about two years of taekwondo, was half a rank away from black belt but decided to quit because all the good instructors at the dojang had left by that point.
Six years of folkstyle wrestling, which has thus far proved much more useful than TKD.
I want to take eskrima and/or Krav Maga and Brazilian ju-jitsu, but since I'm about to start college I don't know how much time I'll have. My college has a few martial arts clubs that I'm considering joining; the hapkido one sounds like the best, as I'm already damn good at wrestling and I remember enough TKD that the strikes should come naturally.

Ricky S
2009-08-13, 11:57 PM
Well now why does everyone hate Tae Kwon Do? I have have found it immensely helpful in self defence situations. Plus it allows speed and very powerful kicks. Three 1 inch thick pine boards anyone? I would love to learn Krav Maga as I have seen how potent it can be at close range.

Renegade Paladin
2009-08-14, 12:00 AM
Ah yes, Krav Maga. The only real martial art listed in Wikipedia's entry on Gun Kata under "See Also." :smallbiggrin:

skywalker
2009-08-14, 01:58 AM
It's a dojo rule, nothing inherent to the style. Because my sensei doesn't want to entrust younger kids with the responsibility of being a black belt. In our dojo, all the black belts are supposed to help teach the beginner and intermediate classes. Not all at once. But definitely keep up a presence there. Teaching really does improve your basics and more than once I've understood a kata much better after teaching it to a bunch of color belts.

This is a good thing.

There is nothing necessarily political about not giving children black belts. The black belt is traditionally a symbol of experience and proficiency that I argue might be unattainable by a child. I personally am unsure anyone under the age of 16 really qualifies for the level of ability a black belt is thought to imply.

This is a whole other discussion, but my girlfriend got her black belt along with a bunch of 9 and 10 year olds. To imply to those children (as the school did) that they were capable of defending themselves or even proficient in an art is laughable.

I did Tang Soo Do (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_Soo_Do) until I was two belts away from my black belt. :smallannoyed: we had to move and where we live now the nearest place is two hours away. I really enjoyed it though, and got pretty good at it. Learning to use a Bow staff was one of my favorite things about it. I was also really flexible around the time I did it, I used to be able to stand up and kick my foot up behind my head and hit a board. It was pretty cool. I cant anymore though.
Tang Soo Do was one of the best experiences I've ever had. :smallsmile:

Like the Tang Soo Do linked in the article? As in Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan? Founded by Grandmaster Hwang Kee? I ask because that is the martial art I practiced for 9 years. Gave my instructor fits that I wouldn't step up towards my black belt. It is also one of the best experiences I've ever had. Real martial art, real athleticism, and real fighting techniques. I could actually go back to my old school, now that I think about it...

As for my current martial status, now that I'm single I have enough time to start training, so I'll be hitting up the local BJJ/Kenpo/MMA school pretty soon, I hope. I'm ready to get back into that for sure.

Icewalker
2009-08-14, 02:34 AM
I took Tae Kwon Do for several years then stopped when I realized how little I was getting out of it and how much I actually disliked it. Sensei pushed too hard, wasn't a particularly good teacher, I wasn't in great shape, and TKD doesn't particularly stand out as a martial art.

Stopped and took up fencing instead, foil, been doing it for year. Also going into parkour now...

I have a couple of friends, one who has been taking Muay Thai for years, and one who has been taking Wing Tsun for most of his life.

If I do go back and take up a martial art, it'll probably be Capoiera for the style, Krav Maga for the fighting capability, or possibly Muay Thai, just because I very much like the idea of it.

Fredthefighter
2009-08-14, 02:43 AM
I am a Cadet 1st Dan (can't remember the name for this) in Shotokan style Karate.
I have been training for the last 5 years.
I do it for a number of reasons:
1) It's good exercise.
2) I like the sport.
3) It's improved my self-confidence.
4) I used to get bullied, so self-defense for me was a good thing.
5) It never hurts to be able to defend yourself if something bad happens.

TFT
2009-08-14, 02:45 AM
Now, pretend you are talking to someone who has no idea on the subject of Martial Arts... Where and what style would be a good place to start?

Icewalker
2009-08-14, 02:53 AM
You need a lot of details for that. There are few (but some) martial arts inherently better or worse than others, they mostly just vary in style, and are better at different things. For example, if you want the ability to defend yourself in a fight, Krav Maga is one of the most brutally effective martial arts out there. If you just want something interesting, not for fighting, with a lot of style, then maybe Capoiera is a better choice. Etc. I'm not really the one to ask, though.

Worira
2009-08-14, 02:54 AM
That depends on a bunch of things. Are you looking for a sport, or a practical method of self-defence? Do you want to focus unarmed fighting or weapons? If weapons, what kind? What are the laws regarding weapons where you live?

TFT
2009-08-14, 03:11 AM
Well, I actually would like to try to find something sportish, but also can be used for self defense.
Weapons actually would be cool... but if most self defense is unarmed, then I could try that too.
I really don't know all the kinds of weapons in martial arts.
I live in California, if that helps any.

It feels like I am filling out a questionaire.

Icewalker
2009-08-14, 03:16 AM
Most (not all, but most) martial arts are good for self defense. If that isn't your sole focus, just something you want as part of it, then almost any martial art is open. If you want something sporting, then maybe something to hugely intensive? For most things that's probably an element which varies more between dojos than between different martial arts.

rakkoon
2009-08-14, 03:25 AM
You know the most about what you do (did) yourself so Ninpo (ninjutsu) could be an option. It has unarmed and armed sections, throwing, locks, punching & kicking, swords, sticks, etc

I did Shotokan Karate for 8 years, Jiu-Jitsu for five years and Ninpo for ... counts .. twelve years now

Boo
2009-08-14, 03:56 AM
I've been teaching myself Bartitsu (or baritsu for you Holmes fans). I just don't carry a cane everywhere, so it's proving to be more 'for fun' than anything else. I have been searching for a Zui Quan teacher, but I doubt any exist in BC, thus leading to my thought of self-teaching. Stupid, but it's my only option. As to why I'm into these two and not any others... I'm eccentric.

@V: Yes. Yes it is. :smallcool:

rakkoon
2009-08-14, 04:11 AM
Never heard of it...wikied it...cool!
Is also based (partly) on Shinden Fudo Ryu, a school that is part of Ninpo.
Funny that

Dragonrider
2009-08-14, 06:50 AM
I am a Cadet 1st Dan (can't remember the name for this) in Shotokan style Karate.

At our dojo, anyway, we call that Sho Dan Ho...Shudokan is often confused with Shotokan and they're not the same but they're similar.

On Tae Kwon Do (vs. other martial arts): my experience is obviously colored by the teachers I had. The Tae Kwon Do place I studied was what my karate sensei calls "McDojo" - basically signing people up to get a black belt as quickly as possible. There was a five-year-old who got her black belt while she was there. She was pretty good - in the sense that, being five, she could kick above her head (not saying much) and she was pretty mature for her age - but there was no way she deserved to be a black belt.

TheBibliophile
2009-08-14, 07:18 AM
Yellow belt, green tag in Taekwondo. My school belongs to the UKTA, the United Kingdom Taekwondo Association.

Liffguard
2009-08-14, 10:49 AM
Now, pretend you are talking to someone who has no idea on the subject of Martial Arts... Where and what style would be a good place to start?

The style itself is nearly irrelevant. The training methodology of the particular school is far more important. Long story short, if a school doesn't have its students spar, with high levels of resistance, on a regular basis, then it's not teaching its students how to fight. All styles can potentially do this. However, the styles where this training is most common include Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, San Shou, Kyukoshin, Sambo, Wrestling (all styles), Judo, Submission Grappling and Brazilian Jiujitsu.

At the moment I train Brazilian Jiujitsu. I also used to box though I'm taking a break from that right now.

Pendragonx
2009-08-14, 10:55 AM
way back when I was 9 I took Uechi-Ryu Karate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uechi-ry%C5%AB) for about 4 or 5 years .. then went to college and stopped.. now that I'm out of college and have a full-time job I found that I can't really take a 'tense' style like Uechi-Ryu anymore.. too much stress on my joints

I ended up finding the Shaolin Tai Chi Praying Mantis Institute (http://www.shaolintaichimantis.com/) nearby and have been studying there for the past 4 years .. I'm not physically up to doing all the Kung Fu yet, but the Tai Chi side has been very good :)

Fredthefighter
2009-08-14, 10:55 AM
At our dojo, anyway, we call that Sho Dan Ho...Shudokan is often confused with Shotokan and they're not the same but they're similar.

On Tae Kwon Do (vs. other martial arts): my experience is obviously colored by the teachers I had. The Tae Kwon Do place I studied was what my karate sensei calls "McDojo" - basically signing people up to get a black belt as quickly as possible. There was a five-year-old who got her black belt while she was there. She was pretty good - in the sense that, being five, she could kick above her head (not saying much) and she was pretty mature for her age - but there was no way she deserved to be a black belt.

Well, my Sensei has never called it anything different, so I just use the word "Cadet" (I remember reading it in my liscense).

And I've never studied a different martial art. And sometimes I think that some of the children who are in my class don't deserve their belts (they're constantly being told off for bad stances and sloppy technique).

skywalker
2009-08-14, 11:59 AM
Most (not all, but most) martial arts are good for self defense. If that isn't your sole focus, just something you want as part of it, then almost any martial art is open. If you want something sporting, then maybe something to hugely intensive? For most things that's probably an element which varies more between dojos than between different martial arts.

This is very good advice. Obviously an MMA gym is going to be more intensive, on average, than a Tai Chi school, but for the most part you gotta just go in and see what it's like.

This is what I was saying in my post, I've heard of 10 year old with black belts, but this is the first time I've heard of a 5 year old... :smalleek:

The style itself is nearly irrelevant. The training methodology of the particular school is far more important. Long story short, if a school doesn't have its students spar, with high levels of resistance, on a regular basis, then it's not teaching its students how to fight. All styles can potentially do this. However, the styles where this training is most common include Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, San Shou, Kyukoshin, Sambo, Wrestling (all styles), Judo, Submission Grappling and Brazilian Jiujitsu.

Define "high levels of resistance?" Because I agree with you, that sparring is an important part of self-defense training, since self-defense is fighting and you have to practice fighting to get good at it.

However, there are vastly different levels of "resistance" between boxing or muay thai and BJJ, ya? I would contend that the sparring need not be full-contact to be effective, just that it needs to be focused on fight training, not point scoring.

Dragonrider
2009-08-14, 12:17 PM
I think that kata is just as important in terms of fighting, maybe more. Actually sparring teaches you to think on your feet and look for openings and such, but the kata refines technique and you're not holding back the way you are when you spar.

My 2cp. :smalltongue:

Fredthefighter
2009-08-14, 12:23 PM
I think that kata is just as important in terms of fighting, maybe more. Actually sparring teaches you to think on your feet and look for openings and such, but the kata refines technique and you're not holding back the way you are when you spar.

My 2cp. :smalltongue:

Exactly. Hence why the class I'm in focuses more on kata for attempting to attain the next belt.

Kata is learning how to do and use the technique properly. Kumite is putting it into practice, but often with less power so that you don't seriously injure someone (especially in semi-contact sparring).

Liffguard
2009-08-14, 12:33 PM
However, there are vastly different levels of "resistance" between boxing or muay thai and BJJ, ya? I would contend that the sparring need not be full-contact to be effective, just that it needs to be focused on fight training, not point scoring.

Exactly. Hence why the class I'm in focuses more on kata for attempting to attain the next belt.

Kata is learning how to do and use the technique properly. Kumite is putting it into practice, but often with less power so that you don't seriously injure someone (especially in semi-contact sparring).

Matt Thornton talks about aliveness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imjmLWj5WCU)

In my opinion this is the most important concept in martial arts. Training doesn't have to be full-contact all the time but it does have to incorporate the three factors of Energy, Timing and Motion. Kata contains only motion but not energy or timing. Basically, in everyday life and sporting competition you need to be able to apply these techniques on a resisting opponent who is doing his best to hurt you and avoid being hurt. Therefore, you need to train these techniques against a resisting opponent. To get good at chess, play chess games. Chess kata won't work.

Burley
2009-08-14, 01:08 PM
I'm a proud member of the VA Fencing Academy. Largest fencing academy in the world! Representin'!
Unless you all are only interested in Eastern Martial Arts. ...Regionalists...

Worira
2009-08-14, 01:25 PM
I can't agree with Liffguard more here. Both on the individual school being more important than the art it teaches, and on the importance of sparring.

Zanaril
2009-08-14, 05:24 PM
I'm a yellow belt in karate and I've been doing it for a year or two. Would be purple, but I missed the last grading they had due to illness. :smallannoyed:

skywalker
2009-08-15, 02:38 AM
Matt Thornton talks about aliveness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imjmLWj5WCU)

In my opinion this is the most important concept in martial arts. Training doesn't have to be full-contact all the time but it does have to incorporate the three factors of Energy, Timing and Motion. Kata contains only motion but not energy or timing. Basically, in everyday life and sporting competition you need to be able to apply these techniques on a resisting opponent who is doing his best to hurt you and avoid being hurt. Therefore, you need to train these techniques against a resisting opponent. To get good at chess, play chess games. Chess kata won't work.

That is one of the most important videos any martial artist can ever watch.

I don't think it refutes my point about semi-contact sparring being helpful, however. Our sparring was geared towards fight training without being full contact. We didn't wear head gear because sparring without head gear teaches you to protect your head. I remember sparring among the lower belts to be more amateurish and "dead" as Matt says, but among the higher belts the sparring was much nearer to actual fighting, since the primary axiom was not "score points" it was "don't die." When someone pops you in the cup, the message is clearly "you would've been on the ground in a street fight." Likewise, when someone clears your head with a crescent kick, they are saying "I could've dropped my heel 2 inches and given you brain damage." The person that allows that to happen has seriously embarrassed themselves, you see?

But you are completely right when it comes to kata (or hyung, if you prefer the Korean terms). There are plenty of other things forms teach you, however. Physical endurance, for instance, my school used to do the "Pyong Ahn" form (also known as the tortoise form, for those who are familiar), which is normally split up into five parts that are each the length of a standard form. Students who knew the whole thing were required to do the whole thing, and the last move better have just as much snap, power, and discipline as the first.

Kata also teach discipline, memory, and form. While form is far from the most important thing a martial artist should know, better form frequently leads to better accuracy and better power, which are important things to have. Your training must be alive, but better form in applying your aliveness can't hurt.

But keep promulgating that video. That's life changing stuff for a lot of martial artists.

Anuan
2009-08-15, 03:14 AM
Well now why does everyone hate Tae Kwon Do? I have have found it immensely helpful in self defence situations. Plus it allows speed and very powerful kicks. Three 1 inch thick pine boards anyone? I would love to learn Krav Maga as I have seen how potent it can be at close range.

Because it's not taught traditionally or in a way that's applicable to a real-life situation. It's a good -art.- It has poor -teachers.-
It's basically purely a sport now; watch the TKD tournaments, where simultaneous hits cause one guy to stumble or fall. TKD teachers don't teach you how to rectify the problems that occur when you use above-hip kicks when they aren't the best technique for the situation. They get used in tournaments for the points, then they hit, earn the point, stumble and don't get pumelled by their opponent.

If it was against someone with some martial training outside of the arena, the strike would be absorbed and as the kicker stumbled, they'd barrel and knock them down and beat on them until they couldn't move.

I know this particular part because I once got into a fight with a smart-aleck TKD practitioner (who afterwards got some very harsh words by his instructor.) that thought he was all that and a bag of rice crispies. Blocked the high-kick and collapsed his balancing leg with a low kick as he was stumbling back anyway, and physically convinced him not to do it again.

TKD is good for increasing your reflexes, speed, power, and technique. However, the way it's taught now, it's not so great in an actual fight unless you've been in a lot of non-tournament fights. If the practitioner -does- know how to use it properly in a fight, I wouldn't want to mess with them. Personally I would -not- like to catch an axe-kick to the collarbone. Bugger -that.-

Shikton
2009-08-15, 04:02 AM
Some people here are regular Bruce Lees compared to me, but I used to dabble a bit with Capoeira. Not for long though, but it was very fun and challenging. I love the show-off aspect of it, and don't really care about what'll work out in a fight, so this was right up my alley. Never been in better all-round shape than when doing Capoeira. Would love to start again, but I've just not got the time :(

Exeson
2009-08-15, 04:22 AM
I don't do any martial arts at the moment. However i do do Judo bout 4 times a week during term times.

I used to dabble in kickboxing, karate and Mauy Thai (sp?)

Perenelle
2009-08-15, 12:52 PM
Like the Tang Soo Do linked in the article? As in Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan? Founded by Grandmaster Hwang Kee? I ask because that is the martial art I practiced for 9 years. Gave my instructor fits that I wouldn't step up towards my black belt. It is also one of the best experiences I've ever had. Real martial art, real athleticism, and real fighting techniques. I could actually go back to my old school, now that I think about it...

I'm not too sure exactly what you are asking, but yes I believe it was founded by Grandmaster Kwang Kee. I practiced under the Mu Duk Kwan style of Tang Soo Do.
why wouldn't you step up towards your black belt? by the way they changed it to a "midnight blue" belt due to the fact that black symbolized "the end of learning"; and they believed that you never truly stop learning. Or at least that's what my instructor told me.

Hannes
2009-08-15, 01:15 PM
I've learned kendo for... Nine months. I don't think I'm good at it, but it might just be that kendo is quite obscure (our group has about 10 people), and I'm the youngest and lowest ranking member in the group (others are 1. kyu to... 4th dan? I think.), I'm 6th kyu. But I enjoy it, as it works as brain training at the same time as physical training - is that a feint, is that going to be a crazy kote hit etc etc etc and then reacting to it.

SurlySeraph
2009-08-15, 01:22 PM
TKD is good for increasing your reflexes, speed, power, and technique. However, the way it's taught now, it's not so great in an actual fight unless you've been in a lot of non-tournament fights. If the practitioner -does- know how to use it properly in a fight, I wouldn't want to mess with them. Personally I would -not- like to catch an axe-kick to the collarbone. Bugger -that.-

This, basically. TKD has some very powerful kicks, but you're generally not taught how to use them in such a way that they'd actually be effective in a fight. It doesn't matter how hard you can kick if you can't hit, or get knocked off your feet the moment you bring your leg up. Speed usually trumps power.

Seconded on the axe kicks. I got one to the shoulder sparring once, and it hurt for a week despite the pads.

V'icternus
2009-08-15, 02:27 PM
*Adds everyone here to list of people not to tick off too much*

Now that that's over, I used to do some basic Karate... but it got boring, and I saw a lot of flaws in the way I was being taught, and I quickly tired of it when I realised that anyone who was faster and stronger than me would easily get the advantage in a fight.

So, since then, I've quit, and have worked on my own fighting style, utilising the best elements of what I learned, coupled with some of the Tae Kwon Do I learned when my dad took me to some of his classes back when he was learning it...

I've found that if you stick to a certain style, you can win any real fight by having just one advantage over your oppenent. Speed, strength, endurance, or technique. Holds up pretty well in real-life. Obviously, you can't enter a tournament like that, but I was never really into fighting when it wasn't... real. I always hold back too much, or just get plain bored...

But yeah, small ammount of Tae Kwon Do, and a larger ammount of Go Kan Ryu.

And I agree with the previous mentions of Kata being more beneficial than sparring. Taikyoku Shodan, Takyoku Nidan and Saifa taught me that...
They're a very good way of perfecting technique. Although, I would definately have benefited more from one-on-one teaching... (My class sometimes had upwards of 30 students)

Dragonrider
2009-08-15, 02:32 PM
And I agree with the previous mentions of Kata being more beneficial than sparring. Taikyoku Shodan, Takyoku Nidan and Saifa taught me that...
They're a very good way of perfecting technique. Although, I would definately have benefited more from one-on-one teaching... (My class sometimes had upwards of 30 students)

I know Sai fa! :smalltongue: Not what I would call my favorite kata, but...it's always nice to hear of someone from a different style who does the same kata. :smallbiggrin: (might have variations though.)

Yeah, our classes are usually between 5 and 15 students (high of 20 or so) with between 3 and 8 black belts (plus another 5 or so who drop in every couple months but aren't reliable). We have a pretty high black belt retention rate...

V'icternus
2009-08-15, 02:36 PM
Sad to say, however, that I've forgotten the Kata's now. One day I plan to dedicate a bit of time and re-aqquaint myself with them, among others.

Froogleyboy
2009-08-15, 02:37 PM
Does Chanbara count?

V'icternus
2009-08-15, 02:42 PM
Uh...

Well, I suppose it is, technically, a "Martial Art"... :smalltongue:

osyluth
2009-08-15, 03:09 PM
I'm a first degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do (NOT Olympic TKD) and have been doing it for 4-5 years.

skywalker
2009-08-15, 04:39 PM
I'm not too sure exactly what you are asking, but yes I believe it was founded by Grandmaster Kwang Kee. I practiced under the Mu Duk Kwan style of Tang Soo Do.
why wouldn't you step up towards your black belt? by the way they changed it to a "midnight blue" belt due to the fact that black symbolized "the end of learning"; and they believed that you never truly stop learning. Or at least that's what my instructor told me.

I was just always very slow when it came to advancement, despite being one of the best students. I made 2nd gup (red belt with 1 stripe) but the 42 months of proficiency testing at 1st gup (Red Belt with 2 stripes, the level before Midnight Blue) where you must test every 3 months and score high enough to pass always intimidated me. If we didn't pass every test, our instructor would actually demote us back to red with 1 stripe until the next test. So you basically spent your entire career with two stripes testing every 3 months, before the multiple day test for the midnight blue. I just never quite had the dedication to attempt that.

Also, yes, I know how the colors work, I just allowed black belt to slip into my vocab since it's really much easier to say, rather than "I was almost midnight blue, which is our version of black" etc.

What rank were you exactly?

Sad to say, however, that I've forgotten the Kata's now. One day I plan to dedicate a bit of time and re-aqquaint myself with them, among others.

Not to brag, but I probably still recall almost all of my forms, and could probably complete the sequence (not the moves themselves) perfectly after a couple minutes practice. I also remember what most of the terms and commands are. I remember going back to my old school after an 8th month break. Everybody made fun of my long hair until I was still better at the techniques and responded to the commands faster than them.

Martial arts are kinda my thing.

V'icternus
2009-08-15, 04:44 PM
Don't worry, it doesn't sound braggy. I only forgot because I stopped caring about it and my memory was (is) bad enough that I forget things really easily.

Besides, it's hardly bragging when it's true, even when in comparison to someone else.

I'd love to be able to have some sort of simulator to see who would win if I fought some of the other people on here... just think it'd be interesting...

Worira
2009-08-15, 04:46 PM
Long hair is a pretty major liability in a fight.

V'icternus
2009-08-15, 04:48 PM
But it can also serve to distract your opponent, if only momentarily. Also, if you spin, it becomes hard for them to tell when you've stopped, or where.

It does limit vision, though, and can be an annoyance if not moved out of the way.

Worira
2009-08-15, 04:53 PM
I don't generally use hair as an indicator of my opponent's circular momentum. Nor am I that easily distracted.

Also, it makes a good handhold.

V'icternus
2009-08-15, 04:56 PM
I like mine short. As an added bonus, it's easier to dry.

But enoough of this hair-care chatter! Who here thinks that they could take Batman in The Dark Knight if he didn't have gadgets and plot-power? I think I could manage it. (The armour might complicate things though...)

Worira
2009-08-15, 04:59 PM
Yes, if I had some dogs.

V'icternus
2009-08-15, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure if that counts. With "some dogs" you could probably take anyone, depending on the dogs.

skywalker
2009-08-15, 05:19 PM
Long hair is a pretty major liability in a fight.

Yes, yes it is.

But enoough of this hair-care chatter! Who here thinks that they could take Batman in The Dark Knight if he didn't have gadgets and plot-power? I think I could manage it. (The armour might complicate things though...)

I seriously doubt my ability to take him.

SurlySeraph
2009-08-15, 05:27 PM

Nope. He's too large and muscley for me. I'm only 135-140 pounds, so even if I hit him with a perfect takedown and immediately got a half-nelson in my advantage wouldn't last long.

Cyrano
2009-08-15, 05:38 PM

Trick question, ya fool! Batman has always prepared his gadgets!

Dragonrider
2009-08-15, 06:40 PM
My sensei always told the girls in the dojo, "It's not sexist to say you're worse off than a guy in a fight, it's realistic. If it comes to blows and you can't just walk/run away, you've got one chance to make them hurt and if you blow it things are bad for you. I'm 6'2" and I might have a second chance - you're 5'2" and you need to be able to take them by surprise."

Anuan
2009-08-15, 07:22 PM
DeeRee's sensei is correct.
This -might- be a little off-topic, but does anyone know where I can get some high-quality but not too expensive handguards (padded grappling gloves would be better, to tell the truth) and foot-and-shin guards?

And how I could transfer a 50kg kickboxing bag two states? =/

Perenelle
2009-08-15, 10:09 PM
I was just always very slow when it came to advancement, despite being one of the best students. I made 2nd gup (red belt with 1 stripe) but the 42 months of proficiency testing at 1st gup (Red Belt with 2 stripes, the level before Midnight Blue) where you must test every 3 months and score high enough to pass always intimidated me. If we didn't pass every test, our instructor would actually demote us back to red with 1 stripe until the next test. So you basically spent your entire career with two stripes testing every 3 months, before the multiple day test for the midnight blue. I just never quite had the dedication to attempt that.

Also, yes, I know how the colors work, I just allowed black belt to slip into my vocab since it's really much easier to say, rather than "I was almost midnight blue, which is our version of black" etc.

What rank were you exactly?

Not to brag, but I probably still recall almost all of my forms, and could probably complete the sequence (not the moves themselves) perfectly after a couple minutes practice. I also remember what most of the terms and commands are. I remember going back to my old school after an 8th month break. Everybody made fun of my long hair until I was still better at the techniques and responded to the commands faster than them.

Martial arts are kinda my thing.

Oh okay. I can remember most of my forms and techniques as well but not so much the actual commands and the terminology.
I got to the rank of green belt one stripe. I said two belts away so it'd make more sense other people. I havent met many people who have heard of Tang Soo Do before.

OverdrivePrime
2009-08-16, 08:22 AM

I could take Christian Bale without much effort. Batman would beat the living crap out of me.

He's Batman. That's what he does. :smalleek:

V'icternus
2009-08-16, 02:41 PM
I dunno, those movies decided to make him a ninja, but when I watch, I can't help thinking that he could be better...

Which is, obviously, not good for Batman. After all, he's Batman.

And as for Christian Bale, well... I could take him, but then, you know... the fangirls and fanboys would jump me, nail me to a tree, cut down the tree, throw it off a cliff, then use sixty-thousand tons of dynamite to destroy the evidence. So he wins by default, as I'm not gonna touch him.

rankrath
2009-08-16, 04:11 PM
! Who here thinks that they could take Batman in The Dark Knight if he didn't have gadgets and plot-power? I think I could manage it. (The armour might complicate things though...)

Do I get a sword? If so then yes, if not, no chance.

Ricky S
2009-08-17, 09:02 AM
Taking down a batman in armour would require judo or something that uses holds and not punches or kicks. Because despite batmans strength a hold would be able to pin him through leverage (yay physics) and the armour would be useless because you are not trying to pierce it. Although I wouldnt want to wrestle batman, he stops badguys:smallsmile:.

OverdrivePrime
2009-08-17, 11:14 AM
Do I get a sword? If so then yes, if not, no chance.

This just in:

Batman doesn't care (http://societyofdave.com/uploaded_images/batman_master2-767944.jpg) about your sword (http://societyofdave.com/uploaded_images/batman_master3-792452.jpg).

V'icternus
2009-08-17, 09:28 PM
Well, his chin is un-armoured, so a good shot can sstab right up it into his soft, gooey brain. (The real Batman is a scientist, and has a decent brain.)

Renegade Paladin
2009-08-17, 09:45 PM
This just in:

Batman doesn't care (http://societyofdave.com/uploaded_images/batman_master2-767944.jpg) about your sword (http://societyofdave.com/uploaded_images/batman_master3-792452.jpg).
Terrible form. He was actually parrying with the blade pointed not just away from his opponent, but backwards. Clearly he only won through staggering incompetence on the part of his opponent. :smallamused:

V'icternus
2009-08-18, 04:20 PM
Isn't that how Batman always wins?

Or he has a Bat-enemykillingthing on his utility belt. I gotta get me one of those...

Anuan
2009-08-18, 06:17 PM
This weekend a friend of mine is coming down from Sydney; we're going to spar, record it and work out the problems we've developed in our two years of no sparring.

Also, a friend of mine saw me practicing and now wants me to teach them what I know. I'm honoured, but also don't feel worthy to take on the role of teacher.

Worira
2009-08-19, 01:37 AM
Terrible form. He was actually parrying with the blade pointed not just away from his opponent, but backwards. Clearly he only won through staggering incompetence on the part of his opponent. :smallamused:

This is baffling to me. In the second panel, he's parrying behind his opponent's sword, but I have no idea how he got his sword there. It appears his sword would have to, at the very least, pass through his own neck. He then apparently moves his sword back in front, somehow. For some reason. Note that he's about to get his arm sliced, too.

Also, I absolutely love his grip in the second panel. He apparently briefly confuses his sword with a teacup. Or perhaps trying to use his webshooters.

Rogue 7
2009-08-19, 02:19 PM
I'm a first degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do (NOT Olympic TKD) and have been doing it for 4-5 years.

:smallconfused: How often did you train? I've been taking Goshi Shun karate for six years now (two of them abbreviated due to an out of state college), on average twice a week, and I'm damn lucky to be a green belt (that being the middle rank at our school, for reference). Our sensei only hands out promotions twice a year, and he can be really stingy if the mood strikes him.

Our Saturday classes are generally devoted to sparring, after stretching and conditioning-type exercises. It's full pad much of the time, but they could get fairly brutal at times. It was a bit difficult for me, as I'm 5'6" and 135 pounds, and all the other folks my age have something like a 5 year advantage on me, which meant that from basically my entire career onwards, most of my opponents significantly outclassed me, and I didn't even have height or weight to make up for it. Sure, they go easy on you, but it's still a major challenge. Lately, really, we've been focusing much more on timing and distance, so the quality of your actual moves are oftentimes irrelevant- it's usually a side kick or a backhand that'll score, because your opponent caught you out of position, read you such that he exploited an opening, or read you such that he set you up and created his own opening. I was mostly on the recieving end for a good portion of this, and I really need to work on it.

With all the talk of katas, I must say that I've never really gotten into them. Our classes tend to focus on drills and combinations of whatever particular combinations our sensei feels like (last Wednesday, I think it was...can't remember, but all told we did something like a six-move combinations, and some of the transitions were rather tricky to pull off), so I guess that sort of counts as a kata.

And this thread has reminded me that my regular class is tonight, but it's 90 degrees, miserably humid, and I'd have to walk, not to mention that I bike home from work. And if I'm not in top condition for that class I get absolutely destroyed, because it's a highly advanced class (usual attendance is something like two or three sandans, another couple of nidans, and several shodans, to the point where I'm often the lowest-ranked member of the class)...so I might just skip out anyways.

V'icternus
2009-08-19, 05:32 PM
Maybe you need to get into another form of Martial Art, then. But remember, it doesn't matter how much you like it if you're really learning from it.

Rogue 7
2009-08-19, 06:16 PM
Nah, I love my school. I really like the style, and all the people there are ten kinds of awesome. I'm just a lazy ass.

V'icternus
2009-08-19, 06:59 PM
Ah, good.

Well, not good, but, yes good, and not... uh...

*Runs*