PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon RPG Combat Testing (Private)

Croverus
2009-08-13, 07:56 PM
Ok guys, theis is where we're going to be testing out combat, and a few other stat uses. I'm wokring on a feat system that will cover everything from dual types, to being legendary, to Pokemon abilities like Overgrowth, Levitate, Keen Sight, etc.

So, let me build a Wild pokemon. In the mean time, talk to eachother about your pokemon. You can do INC or OOC, that's up to you.

Strawman
2009-08-13, 08:14 PM
Just posting my poke's stats for easy reference in combat.

Lvl 1 Taji, the monk pokemon.
Fighter Type, Lax Nature
Role - Leader
Stats
Att 9; Def 11; SpA 4; SpD 5; Spe 6; Per 8
Hp - 16

Moves:
Tackle - Normal; 1 Target - 2 Spaces; 95% Acc; 8 Dmg
Focus Energy - N/A; Self; 30% Next attack Crits (x3 dmg)

Special Abilities:
Inspire - All adjacent allies have +2 Att and Def for the rest of Combat.

Evolution - 1 Evolutions
1st - Level 23 = +4 Att, +4 Def, +3 SpA, +3 Spe, +3 Per

Description
Stage 1 - Taji, the Monk Pokemon. This rodent pokemon walks on its hind legs and holds its hands together. Although a fighter type, Taji prefer to avoid hurting their opponent. Their fingers are extremely strong, but their nails are too blunt to do damage. They have tough heads.
Stage 2 - Taiki, the Abbot Pokemon. This rodent pokemon is as large as a human. It walks around on its hind legs and likes to protect groups of Taji. Taiji have long thick fingers capable of incredible strength, and their nails have dissappeared. They have a hard bone shaped like a hood on their head.

Fredthefighter
2009-08-14, 02:51 AM
And here are my Pokemon's stats.... for easy reference and all that jazz.

Zombeezy
The zombie wasp Pokemon
Type: Ghost
Nature: Docile
Role: Sneak

Stats:
HP: 11
Attack: 5
Defence: 4
Special Attack: 11
Special Defence: 7
Speed: 11
Personality: 3

Moves:
Astonish- Physical, Ghost type, Target 1, Range: 4 Spaces, Acc 95%, Damage 5, 40% chance that target flinches.
Scary Face - Normal type, Range: All enemies within 3 spaces, Acc 90%, -8 Spd.

Special Abilities:
Suprise Attack: Attacking an enemy unaware of your presence allows you to do an extra 4 damage, with melee attacks only.

Evolves Once
- Level 20: +3 Special Attack, +3 Speed, +3 Defence, +2 Special Defence, +2 Attack, +2 Personality

Description:
Zombeezy: The zombie wasp Pokemon
- Zombeezy is a 3ft long jet black undead wasp. Its stinger drips with some sort of unidentified ectoplasm. Zombeezy's wingspan can grow to be up to 3 feet. Zombeezy's preferred method of hunting its prey is to use its stinger to paralyze the enemy and then feed off of the fear it can cause with its rather monstrous visage. To harvest as much fear as possible, Zombeezy will use scare tactics, such as rustling in the bushes, glowing eyes in the dark, and other tricks, to frighten the target. Despite its hunting methods and appearance, it is quite a friendly Pokemon, willing to make new friends whenever possible. People who are scared easily often keep one around.

Shadowsting: The dark beetle Pokemon.
- When Zombeezy evolves, its bone structure and shape undergo mass changes. It adopts a more humanoid and beetle-like form. It grows to be over 7ft tall, and the wings can reach lengths of 6ft. Shadowsting's strong mandibles are able to crush stone. Shadowsting also has long blade-like stinger-growths on its elbows, which glow slightly and are used to incapacitate its prey with various types of poison, which vary depending on Shadowsting's habitat. While most of its hide is black, red streaks run down the wing-casings and the torso.

Zombeezy floats into view calmy and softly, it's head twists unnaturally to view the whole area.
(Zombeezy feeds on fear, so anyone whose afraid is probably giving him a meal right now).
Helloooooo? his raspy voice says.

zagan
2009-08-14, 03:32 AM
Also posting stat:
Lv1 Sharp, the sword pokemon
Steel type, Lonely nature
Role- Trasher
Stat:
Att: 17 Def: 7 SpAtt: 4 SpDef: 4 Spd: 9 Pre: 6
Hp: 13 (need to add how to calculate it in the first post)

Moves:
Tackle - Normal(Normal); 1 Target - 2 Spaces; 95% Acc; 8 Dmg
Harden - Status(Normal); Self; +3 Def
EMPTY
EMPTY

Special abilities:
Charge - +2 to Spaces and Dmg of full body attacks

Evolution - 1 Evolutions
1st - level 30 = +5 Att, +4 Def, +3 SpAtt, +3 SpDef, +3 Spd, +4 Pre

Description:
Stage1 : Sharp ressemble a flying sword, he has a silver blade and a black handl. He has 2 small white eyes on each side of the handle at the base of the blade. They generally mesure between 3' and 3'5''

Stage2: Claymore ressemble really big sword mesuring between 6' and 6'5''. Their Blade is still silver but with red line along the edge and the handle is now black and white. A black guard now protect the base of the blade. The two eyes a now two whit jewel on the guard.

Sharp slowly float into view looking around to find is adversaire and companion for this promising encounter.

Fredthefighter
2009-08-14, 03:49 AM
Zombeezy's wings make a resonating and eerie sound.
Is anyone out heeeeeeeere?
As I said, his voice is raspy.

Origomar
2009-08-14, 03:54 AM
Squil

Lv 1 Squil
Class-thrasher
Type- Normal
Nature- Adamant

HP: 17

Attack: 15
Defense: 9
Special Attack: 4
Special Defense: 6
Speed: 13
Personality: 8

Class- Thrasher

Attacks- Scratch, Quick Attack
No evolution

Characteristics- Squil look very much like squirrels, except when you look at them closely they have 3 sets of appendages. Their fur is a silvery grey color with a black line running down from their head to the end of their tail. They also have black corneas that when enraged, expand to blacken the entire eye. Their two sets of legs enable them to run at fast speeds to chase down other pokemon that enter their territory. They also have a front set of razor sharp claws they attack their enemies with. Although they may look cute and cuddly it is not wise to entrench on ones territory. For travel they run on all 4s but they usually are standing up on their hind set of legs when not moving. Their natural habitat is the forest where they live in trees. They use their sharp claws to dig into the bark to make a home.

Also to 2 posts above me,i think the max stat you can have at lv 1 is 15

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-14, 04:46 AM
Stats for reference etc etc. Embercub in my mind looks like a fuzzy red/orange armadillo with longer legs.
Lvl 1 Embercub, the Random-Rolled Flame Pokemon

Type: Fire / Nature: Curious / Role: Thrasher

Stats:
Attack: 10
Defence: 7
Special Attack: 7
Special Defence: 4
Speed: 6
Personality: 8

Moves:
Rapid Spin
Fire Spin

Special Abilities:
Charge: +2 to Spaces and Dmg of full body attacks

Evolves Once
- Level 24: +4 Att / +4 Def / +3 Per / +3 Sp Att / +3 Spe / +2 Sp Def

Description:

Embercub: The Random-Rolled Flame Pokemon.
- This quadruped Pokemon is small enough to be held in the palm of your hand. It constantly approaches anything new, regardless of inherent dangers. However should it become angered it uses it's curved spine to throw itself full force into it's opponent, bounding away to ready another charge.

Infernostag: The Poorly-Named Flame Pokemon.
- Fully grown this Pokemon can reach 8ft in the shoulder. It will violently assault anything it considers threatening to something under it's protection, never stopping it's attack. It retains it's curious nature though, happily sniffing at anything new.

----------------------------------------

Yes I suck at fluff. So sue me.

Sniffing the air the glowing Embercub came round the corner as he picked up a scent.

"Who's there?"

zagan
2009-08-14, 05:01 AM
In response to origomar comment:
It's 15 max before applying the modifier from the class.

Fredthefighter
2009-08-14, 05:33 AM
Zombeezy floats out into the view of Embercub.
Helloooooo. I am Zombeezy.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-14, 05:48 AM
Reflexively Embercub jumps backwards, it fuzz becoming a multitude of flaming spines. However seeing as Zombeezy doesn't attack it, it quickly lowers them again and steps up to it sniffing the air around it.

"Hi there, I'm Embercub. I don't recognse your smell, where are you from?"

----------------
Yes, you're going to have to put up with essentially a 3 year old with a Wisdom score of 5. Live with it :smallbiggrin:

Fredthefighter
2009-08-14, 05:53 AM
I am from so many many places and things. From the forests, from the dead, and from fear itself. It is nice to meet you Embercub. Not many Pokemon tend to stay around me for long.

The air around Zombeezy smells of something eerie yet unexplainable.

Zombeezy starts sniffing for fear within the vicinity. He's hungry.

----------------

And I'm playing a slightly cryptic zombie wasp... who feeds off of your fear! :smallbiggrin:

nysisobli
2009-08-14, 06:10 AM
i know this said private, sorry but can i get in on this? Also if yes where would i design my own pokemon?

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-14, 06:14 AM
I guess your out of luck then, I'm too stupid to be scared of things. :smalltongue:
--------------------------------------------

"So...your made of...being scared and...being dead?" The little orange Pokemon seems genuinely confused. "But you said you were from a forest. I like forests, their full of tickley stuff."

And with that he begins to sniff around again.

Fredthefighter
2009-08-14, 09:56 AM
Darn. :smalltongue:

----------------------

I prefer dark forests. There is more to feed on.
Zombeezy flies into the air to get a better view of the area around it.

zagan
2009-08-14, 10:00 AM
Sharp observe the two pokemon calmly, deciding to igniore them for now he content himself with floating around the room looking for any detail that might help him.

Croverus
2009-08-14, 11:07 AM
For sake of keeping things interesting I'm not gonna post the stats of wild pokemon. This is mainly to be realistic, since none of you have ever met these pokemon.

--------------------------------------

A rushling of bushes and two identical pokemon jump out. They look like rabbits, with blue fur and red eyes. Their Ears appear to tapper off into small flames and their tails are a ball of fire. They glance around, noticing the other pokemon here and chuckling.
"Look what we found here. Maybe this lot has pokecoins to take!"
"Yeah, let's get 'em!"

Fredthefighter
2009-08-14, 11:10 AM
Back down younglings.
Zombeezy forces his steely gaze upon the two Pokemon. But he doesn't attack yet.
Although his visage is quite monstrous and frightening.
You don't want to fight us. his voice takes on a stern and determined tone.

zagan
2009-08-14, 11:33 AM
Sharp immediatly prepare himself for a fight.

OOC: I use harden +3def for 10 total.
Could you describe the postion of the "rabbit" and ours.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-14, 11:40 AM
Embercub sniffs in the direction, moving towards them slightly.

"Who are you? And what do you mean get us? Are you going to get us lunch. Thanks."

He is apparently convinced by his insane ramblings as he moves closer to the rabbit Pokemon.

Strawman
2009-08-14, 12:14 PM
Taji moves between the rabbits and the other pokemon.

There is no reason for violence. Surely we can resolve this peacfully.

Taji focuses on finding a peaceful solution.
Taji uses Focus Energy

Origomar
2009-08-14, 12:22 PM
Peace? Theres a reason i have sharp claws.

Croverus
2009-08-14, 02:13 PM
Sharp immediatly prepare himself for a fight.

OOC: I use harden +3def for 10 total.
Could you describe the postion of the "rabbit" and ours.

OOC: Ok, using harden just started combat... and will use up your turn.

Croverus
2009-08-14, 02:15 PM
Taji moves between the rabbits and the other pokemon.

There is no reason for violence. Surely we can resolve this peacfully.

Taji focuses on finding a peaceful solution.
Taji uses Focus Energy

OOC: And Focus energy will be your turn.

Guys, using any of your moves counts as your action. And it starts combat, so now fighting is the only solution unless someone can scare them off (glances around) yeah, didn't think anyone had roar yet.

zagan
2009-08-14, 02:38 PM
OOC: We are here to test combat anyway, how can they tell that we use a move like that ?

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-14, 02:41 PM
OOC: We are here to test combat anyway, how can they tell that we use a move like that ?

It said so at the bottom of the screen :smallwink: (sorry, can't help myself)

zagan
2009-08-14, 02:46 PM
OOC: Of course how silly of me, but that's great because in that case i can look at the top of the screen and see their hp bar.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-14, 02:48 PM
OOC: Of course how silly of me, but that's great because in that case i can look at the top of the screen and see their hp bar.

(Sorry You got you're Gameboy second hand, so it's got a crack right there. :smallbiggrin: Sorry Croverus, I'll stop derailing the thread now.)

Fredthefighter
2009-08-14, 04:05 PM
Zombeezy uses Scary Face on the two enemy Pokemon.
Zombeezy's eyes glow bright and fierce for a moment, amplifying how frightening he is.

Do I roll D%?
(I don't know how to use the forum roller, so I'll just roll at home)
I rolled a 61.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-14, 04:20 PM
Zombeezy uses Scary Face on the two enemy Pokemon.
Zombeezy's eyes glow bright and fierce for a moment, amplifying how frightening he is.

Do I roll D%?
(I don't know how to use the forum roller, so I'll just roll at home)
I rolled a 61.

[roll]1d100[/rolf] changing the "f" in rolf for another "l" making roll.

And to hit you have to roll under your accuracy score, meaning the higher it is (eg 90%) the easier it is to get under it (90 out of 100). Does that make sense?

So your 61 hits by quite a bit.

Fredthefighter
2009-08-14, 04:29 PM
[roll]1d100[/rolf] changing the "f" in rolf for another "l" making roll.

And to hit you have to roll under your accuracy score, meaning the higher it is (eg 90%) the easier it is to get under it (90 out of 100). Does that make sense?

So your 61 hits by quite a bit.

Yeah. So those two rabbit-things lose 8 Speed each.

1d100

EDIT: The rolling thing doesn't seem to work.

Strawman
2009-08-14, 04:32 PM
d100

Sometimes it doesn't work. I think if you preview the post or are editing a post, it won't work. Or maybe there's no d100

Fredthefighter
2009-08-14, 04:34 PM
d100

Sometimes it doesn't work. I think if you preview the post or are editing a post, it won't work. Or maybe there's no d100

Well, I'll try 2d10.

2d10

Nope, didn't work either.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-14, 04:40 PM
1d100

We shall see, won't we.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-14, 04:41 PM
1d20+3

Why not working? Wierd.

zagan
Test test

1d100
2d10

edit: Perhaps only work in the pbp and finding player forum ?

Fredthefighter
It didn't work Kobold-Bard.
Well, as in, I don't see a result, just 1d100 in "roll" tags.

And Zagans didn't work either

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-14, 04:43 PM
It didn't work Kobold-Bard.
Well, as in, I don't see a result, just 1d100 in "roll" tags.

And Zagans didn't work either

It's not working for some reason. Normally that is how you roll in threads.

I've started a thread in the board issues forum, so we shall see if there's a reason.

zagan
2009-08-14, 04:45 PM
In the dice roller thead it work perfectly so it just because we aren't in the right forum

Fredthefighter
2009-08-14, 04:47 PM
In the dice roller thead it work perfectly so it just because we aren't in the right forum

Oh. Well, I don't mind just rolling at home (or using an online dice roller like Dicebag (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20dicebag.htm))

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-14, 04:56 PM

Indeed you are correct. Cro will need to set up a dice thread, or trust people to link to invisiblecastle or some such site.

Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6725887&posted=1#post6725887) to question thread for reference.

Edit: Holy cr*p, I'm an Ogre. Sweeeeeeet :cool:

Croverus
2009-08-14, 05:46 PM
1d100
3d6

Testing... If its doens't work I'll switch to soemthing other than homebrew.

Edit: Ok, when i get home I'll make a thread in a subforum that we can roll in. I think the roller just doesn't work in homebrew threads.

Croverus
2009-08-14, 11:22 PM
This one works! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6728041&posted=1#post6728041)

Ok, if you use 1d% in the roll, it works!! So, go there and try it.

Fri
2009-08-14, 11:37 PM
...rolling only works in pbp subforum (that is, finding players, ic, ooc, and dice roll)

And rolling doesn't work in edited post, even in those forums.

Croverus
2009-08-15, 07:10 PM
The two rabbit-like pokemon both go wide-eyed and shiver just looking at Zombeezy. One opens its mouth and lets out a growl, lowering the Att of everyone within 4 spaces by 3. The other pokemon looks at Zombeezy and opens its month, shooting an ember at Zombeezy and doing 8 damage. Luckily, Zombeezy isn't burned by the damage.

Strawman
2009-08-15, 07:19 PM
Taji uses Tackle on the rabbit who just used ember.

OOC:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6732427&posted=1#post6732427

Croverus
2009-08-15, 08:01 PM
OOC:Don't forget to roll to see if you crit.

Strawman
2009-08-15, 08:05 PM
I added a post in the die thread for the critical.

Croverus
2009-08-15, 08:44 PM
The pokemon is hit for 10 damage thanks to your Charge ability. It stumbles and appears badly injured by the attack. It pulls a berry out and eats it to regain health.

Fredthefighter
2009-08-16, 12:38 AM
Zombeezy uses Astonish on the creature that hit him.

(Zombeezy currently has an Attack value of 1, and has 1 HP remaining)

OOC: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6734266&posted=1#post6734266

Astonish- Physical, Ghost type, Target 1, Range: 4 Spaces, Acc 95%, Damage 5, 40% chance that target flinches.

So I guess that hits, but doesn't make it flinch.

Strawman
2009-08-16, 12:45 AM
If zombeezy only has 1 hp left after only one attack, that may be a low-level balance issue. Unless the rabbits are considerably higher level, that kind of near one-hit KO should only happen with super-effective attacks.

Fredthefighter
2009-08-16, 12:47 AM
If zombeezy only has 1 hp left after only one attack, that may be a low-level balance issue. Unless the rabbits are considerably higher level, that kind of near one-hit KO should only happen with super-effective attacks.

He has 11 HP. A Defense of 4, and a Special Defense of 7. He's a Sneak.

Base HP 6 + (11/2) = 6 + 5 = 11.

Croverus
2009-08-16, 03:41 AM
It yelps as you astonish it, but its able to keep from flinching.

OOC: Ok, they're speed is low enough that everyone should be able to go before they get to.

zagan
2009-08-16, 04:02 AM
Sharp inclined himself horizontaly and charge at the rabbit that eat a berry.

Tackle - Normal(Normal); 1 Target - 2 Spaces; 95% Acc; 8 Dmg
Charge - +2 to Spaces and Dmg of full body attacks

Rolling percentage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6734841&postcount=14)

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-16, 04:48 AM
Seeing the rabbitmons attacking his creepy new friend Ember cub stops sniffing and charges at the one who used Ember. Once he gets within a few paces he literally hurls himself at it, rolling himself into a ball in mid-flight.

As he slams into the first rabbit he uncurls slightly, kicking off it and bouncing into the second one as well before rolling back towards his allies.

--------------------
Rapid Spin - Normal - 6 Spaces - 95% To hit - 5 Damage - 2 Dmg to Enemies adjacent to Target

Croverus
2009-08-16, 05:52 AM
OOC:Yeah, the tackle finished off the one that used ember, you guys destroyed him!

The pokemon is sent flying back from the tackle and faints. Embercub, having chosen the same target, has no opponent to attack, so he can still try to make a last second change of target, but at only 1/2 his normal accuracy.

Croverus
2009-08-16, 06:13 AM
Reversing at the last second, Embercub spins into the second rabbit pokemon and connects. It cries out in pain.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-16, 06:32 AM
OOC:Yeah, the tackle finished off the one that used ember, you guys destroyed him!...

((Quick! Someone throw a Pokeball and catch it :smallbiggrin:))
I jest of course

Croverus
2009-08-16, 06:47 AM
((Quick! Someone throw a Pokeball and catch it :smallbiggrin:))
I jest of course

((A wild Snorlax appears... Right above Kobol-Bard! That sucks. :smalltongue:))

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-16, 07:10 AM
((Oh. Well...I guess I'll go then. Hope everyone else enjoys the game......:smallbiggrin:

I'll stop now. Promise.))

Croverus
2009-08-16, 07:19 AM
((Oh. Well...I guess I'll go then. Hope everyone else enjoys the game......:smallbiggrin:

I'll stop now. Promise.))

((You realize it wasn't really a snorlax, just a large baloon that looked like a snorlax. it floats away and is nver seen again... maybe))

Croverus
2009-08-19, 05:16 PM
OOC: Ok, so everyone can go ahead and make an action. Your speed will determine what order it gets resolved in.

Strawman
2009-08-19, 05:58 PM
Taji tackles the other rabbit.

zagan
2009-08-20, 03:27 AM
Sharp wil also use Tackle the second rabbit. My roll (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6760498&postcount=20)

10 damage total

Croverus
2009-08-20, 09:15 AM
Taji collides with the pokemon and before it can realize how bad its injuries are, Sharp hits as well. Two hits in a row is too much for the rabbit pokemon and it faints. The two wild pokemon are defeated!

(OOC:Doo-doo-dooo, doo-deedoo-deedeedee-dooo)

All:
There should be 4 of you that took part in the fight, yes? Everyone should gain 5 exp. I'll determine at what point you level up (should be rather low at low levels because the amount of experience needed to get to the next level would be exponential). Probably when you hit 50. I mean, beating 5 pokemon sounds like you'd level up at the lower levels

zagan
2009-08-20, 10:08 AM
Yes, that's sound about right but we already learn a few thing from that fight.
Here my personal opinion don't hesitate to disagree, it's just my opinion:
First I think that pokemon have too few hp, we killed the rabbit in two attack each and Zombeye was nearly killed in one attack.

Second perhaps relate to the previous the fight was really short, we finnished it in two round, even at 4 against 2 it seem a little too much.

Third we didn't use our pokemon stat to determine the effectiveness of our attack we didn't apply the attacking pokemon attack stat and we didn't use the pokemon target defense stat.

That's all I can think about for now.

Croverus
2009-08-20, 10:46 AM
I know, we'll add that stuff as we go. I just want to know what everyone thought of just this one fight. Also, fights will be short, you're all level 1, things should take only 2 or 3 rounds. 4 rounds is pushing it. No one had a type advantage so that didn't matter this round. Also, I kinda gave these things avg stats just for the sake of figuring out how to fight with them, I didn't have set numbers to compare everything.

As far as using attack and defense stat... what about damage reduction for defense. The defense appropriate to the attack will decrease the damage by a certain percentage. I checked and from what I can tell it is VERY hard to get any stat to 100 before level 25 and by then there are 1 hit KOs and moves that can drastically reduce defense.

And maybe I can increase the Power of attacks, and your Attack scores determine what percentage of the full damage is done. In the website I used, Tackle is supposedly 40 dmg, which is obviously way stronger than what everyone sees. But someone with an Att of 9 is only gonan do 9% of that 40.

This would drastically lower the amount of damage being dealt, but you'd always do at least 1 pt (damage reduction or low attack scores will not round damage down to zero so even a lv 1 with an attack of 5 could still do 1 pt of damage to a lv 20 with a defense of 50 as logn as they score the hit).

Ideas? Comments?

Strawman
2009-08-20, 11:01 AM
I'm sure the specifics of stats and all that will need work, but it'll take a whole lot of playtesting to really get a feel for that.

From what I've seen here the basic mechanics of combat work well. It was a bit dry, but I think it will be more fun when there quests or missions to complete and some actual plot or a campaign.

It could definitely be a great rpg.

zagan
2009-08-20, 11:12 AM
What about adding 10% round down of each stat to the revelant action.
Ex: I got 17 in attack that make 1.7 so I add 1 to the damge of all my physical attack + any bonue from class like the +2 from charge for a total of 11 when using Tackle. Same thing for spatt and special attack.
We can do the same thing with precision I got a 6 so I had 0 to the 95% Acc of tackle.
Speed is just use for initiative and perhaps to determine the number of square a pokemon can move "For every 10 point above 10 in your speed stat the pokemon can move an additional square per round". That's remind me that we don't have any idea how many square our pokemon can move now.

And using def as dmage reduction seem ideal but again 10% seem could work better otherwise a purely defensive pokemon could take very long to beat if he only take one damage per attack.

One last thing perhaps I miss it but how to we determine a critical hit ?

Croverus
2009-08-20, 11:14 AM
I'm sure the specifics of stats and all that will need work, but it'll take a whole lot of playtesting to really get a feel for that.

From what I've seen here the basic mechanics of combat work well. It was a bit dry, but I think it will be more fun when there quests or missions to complete and some actual plot or a campaign.

It could definitely be a great rpg.

Thanks, I am building a "feat" list right now, with optiosn like making your pokemon start out as the baby stage, which you take some penalties but it makes up for it in the long run, as well as Shiny, Dual typing, and special abilites like Levitate, Gutsy, Keen Sight, etc. I even made up a few, like Element Focus, Charismatic, Specialist. The list is kinda small but once I do my research I'll be adding a lot more.

Croverus
2009-08-20, 11:26 AM
One last thing perhaps I miss it but how to we determine a critical hit ?

Right now I don't have critical hit chance for every attack.
Focus energy gives you a 30% to critical on your next attack. Might make it that focus energy simply increases the critical chance once I've started adding critical hits to all attacks.

Strawman
2009-08-20, 11:29 AM
You could have attack rolls below a certain percentage make a critical attack. Below 5%, or 2%, or something that scales with how hard it is to land the attack in the first place. Things like focus energy could triple that percentage for a turn, or something to that effect.

Croverus
2009-08-20, 11:35 AM
If I do that, technically I can have focus energy work normally (it lasts all combat and increases critical hit chance the entire time).

But that could work. Every 10% chance to hit, chance to critical is 1/10 of that. (So tackle scores a critical on a roll of 9.) How's that sound?

zagan
2009-08-20, 11:49 AM
Yes, that way we keep the same formula easier to remenber.

Croverus
2009-08-20, 12:05 PM
Sweet, tenths seem to be a strong rule to apply to most things.

I'm going to gather the rules and revise them into a single list of combat rules, also I'll figure out exactly what every stat will do. Make it more detailed, then I'll post it and you guys can give me your comments and suggestions.

Croverus
2009-08-26, 12:48 PM
This is the current version of the combat rules. I'm calling this Pokemon RPG Version 1.3 right now.

Rules for combat

Attacks are listed with the following statistics:
Name - Form(Type); Target & Range; Accuracy; Damage/Effects

The Name identifies the attack. Form indicates whether the attack is a Normal, Special, or Status move. Type is the pokemon type the move is associated with to determine its effects on different types of pokemon. Target and Range show who the move can effect and the maximum distance the move can reach. Accuracy is the percentage change that an attack will hit. This number can be modified based on Status moves and other special circumstances. Damage/Effects will simply list the amount of damage dealt to the Target, as well as any secondary or continoue effects. Some Effects have a % chance of occuring.

When performing a move, the player rolls a d%. If the result is less than or equal to the Acc of the move, it is successful and the effects and damage are calculated then. Any secondary effects will also be determined. Any effects that require a d% roll are figured out the same way.

Damage is modifed by Att and Def for Normal attacks and SpA and SpD by Special attacks. Every 10 pts in Att or SpA will increase the damage of all related attacks by 1. This applies to both initial and secondary damage. Every 10 point in Def or SpD reduces damage taken from associated attacks by 1. Attacks will always do at least 1 point of damage if they hit unless the damage is negated completely by immunity or by a move.

Other damage modifiers include Super-Effective x2, Not Very Effective x1/2(round up), and Critical x3.

All paritcipants in combat declare their action at the start of each turn and make the rolls they need. The Spe stat will determine the order actions occur. If a person's target leaves the range of their attack, dies, or can not be targetted for any reason, and the attack can not move or somehow make it possible to still attack, they can choose to switch to another enemy, but with only a 50% chance of success, or they can choose to not move and simple ready an attack so that they will hit on the target's turn. Some moves ignore Spe when determining when they are performed.

Spe also determines the distance a character can move in spaces in a turn, up to 10. After 10 every 10 points put into Spe adds another space of movement. Each space is 5ft and a move action moves a character half their Spe(rounded up). For example, a pokemon with a Spe of 6 will move 3 spaces with a single move action, a pokemon with a Spe of 10 will move 5 spaces with a single move action, while a pokemon with a Spe of 32 will only move 6 spaces, because they have an effective Spe of 12 in terms of the number of spaces they can move. Any charging attacks allow a person to move 3/4(round up) their speed and then make the attack.
Moving full speed take a full round action. If a character moved their full speed in the previus round they can use their turn to make another full round action and move x1.5 their effective Spe. This action is called Sprinting, and allows a pokemon to cover a significant distance over two rounds.

The Per stat only effects Status moves. It has rather unclear powers, in that any stat buff or debuff is 1 point stronger for every 10 points of Per, and Status moves that add affects like Sleep or Poison increase the chance of them hitting by 5% for every 10 points of Per. Per also increases the range of moves that have a radius centered on the user by 1 space per 10 points. Out of combat the Per can determine how easy or difficult a pokemon can convince non-player pokemon.

For time, every round is 6 seconds, so 10 rounds is a minute. Most fight shouldn't last much longer than a few minutes so for now there are no rules for long term actions. Temporary stat changes, like buffs and debuffs and the Confusion effect, end as soon as combat is officially over. Effects that wear off on their own like Sleep last out of combat for a number of minutes equal to the number of rounds the sleep had left in combat (during combat the adrenaline rush and commotion from combat decreases the effect of sleep to only last for a certain number of rounds). A Frozen pokemon will thaw out if the environment is warm enough, the time it takes varies. Paralysis and Burns last until they are healed, though out of combat they really have no effects. Poison lasts until healed and deals its damage every minute until the pokemon is at 1 HP, then the poison will stop.

It's a bit of read, but that covers pretty much all the rules concerning combat and how stats effect out of combat situations. PM me for furhter questions. I'm making a new board soon with all the revised rules. People that have already posted pokemon, I'm archiving them and will have a seperate place for them that I can get to when I'm at home. This way i can have all pokemon profiles in the same format.

Fredthefighter
2009-08-26, 01:00 PM
It's a good system, seems quite good and covers the bases.

Quick question: Are you incorporating the "same type attack bonus"? E.g. A Normal type uses Tackle and deals 12 + 1 per point of Attack above 10 damage, while a Fighting type using Tackle would deal 8 + 1 per point of Attack above 10 damage. Now that I look at it, STAB could be a bit game breaking.

Croverus
2009-08-26, 02:37 PM
The only way the type of the pokemon comes into play is if the type of attack being used on it has a modifier to damage do to the type. STAB will not be used in this game.

Fredthefighter
2009-08-26, 02:45 PM
The only way the type of the pokemon comes into play is if the type of attack being used on it has a modifier to damage do to the type. STAB will not be used in this game.

Phew. Just checking.

Zovc
2009-08-26, 02:56 PM
Oh, hi guys. XD

I'm not sure if I like the "10 percent system" currently in place for the bonuses to attack damage and such. As is, the system does not reward you until you've put 10 (or some multiple of 10) points in something. This is somewhat like Dungeons and Dragons and even numbered stats (although feats do usually require odd numbers in stats). If I have 11 Strength and 11 Dexterity, I'd just 'sume go 10 and 12 or 12 and 10... going to 10 doesn't affect me, but going to 12 does. Also, by making each "Xth" stat point matter, you encourage dumping all points into one stat in order to get bonuses sooner.

That said, I do like the "10 percent system's" application to critical hits.

Why is it that Super Effective does double damage and Criticals do triple? Why not have each do double when separate, and have triple done when together? You could even automatically pass any additional effects, or max out status effect durations, or automatically land X hits.

Croverus
2009-08-26, 03:18 PM
Could do they both do double and triple when seperate. Will work on that.

As for the 10 percent rule... stats quickly get into very high numbers, indeed i minmaxed a test Def and SpD character and hit 100 points in Def and 70 in SpD So I'm always reducing damage by 7 for specials and 10 for normal attacks. Imagine what that'd be like with the system your suggesting? Since that same units also has several hundred HP, it'd take a long time to bring him down. And that's a lv 30. Imagine what that pokemon would be like when it's put in the version with trainers? Where it can reach Lv 100... it's have over 1000 HP and being taking barely any damage, even against other Lv 100s. It's got a move to eliminate the possibility of 1 hit KOs and its Dark type, so very few weaknesses to allow for exploiting a weakness.

In other words, the 10% rule actually works VERY well. Getting a bonus every 2 points... Speed would be the most important stat at that point. Get a high Speed and one of your Attack stats high and then bam, you one-shot everything. OMG that'd be boring. 10% keeps the game from becoming broken, jsut like how we aren't using the STAB rules because the damage would be ridiculous.

Edit: The entire point to using the 10% bonus with stats is to PREVENT dumping all of your points into one stat. Because I'm not wanting people to make broken Demi-God Pokemon. They're making pokemon that could exist in a world with hundreds of other pokemon and survive, not rule. Yuor character is not trying to become the ruler of the world, he's trying to survive and maybe improve the life for the pokemon that are trying to work together. Munchkins die pretty fast in this game because they're unbalanced.

Zovc
2009-08-26, 03:40 PM
As for the 10 percent rule... stats quickly get into very high numbers, indeed i minmaxed a test Def and SpD character and hit 100 points in Def and 70 in SpD So I'm always reducing damage by 7 for specials and 10 for normal attacks. Imagine what that'd be like with the system your suggesting? Since that same units also has several hundred HP, it'd take a long time to bring him down. And that's a lv 30. Imagine what that pokemon would be like when it's put in the version with trainers? Where it can reach Lv 100... it's have over 1000 HP and being taking barely any damage, even against other Lv 100s. It's got a move to eliminate the possibility of 1 hit KOs and its Dark type, so very few weaknesses to allow for exploiting a weakness.

In other words, the 10% rule actually works VERY well. Getting a bonus every 2 points... Speed would be the most important stat at that point. Get a high Speed and one of your Attack stats high and then bam, you one-shot everything. OMG that'd be boring. 10% keeps the game from becoming broken, jsut like how we aren't using the STAB rules because the damage would be ridiculous.

To be honest, I don't see a coherent argument here. You say that your system works well, and assume that I was suggesting the exact same system with smaller increments. You seem to be fixed on using the exact mechanics of pokemon, but (almost randomly and) arbitrarily drawing lines where you get to design your own game. Allow me to say, before I digress, that this is your project. I'm only giving you advice that I think will improve your game, and you don't have to take it.

First of all, If I'm not mistaken, in Pokemon EVERY point in a stat has a mathematical impact on the game--whether it gets rounded off somewhere or not. It makes sense for that to be the case when the game is being run on a computer, but such big numbers are mostly only crippling for tabletop gaming. I don't think there's any need for a level 100 pokemon, nor is there a need for a pokemon to have more than 50 in any given stat.

You say that the 10% system keeps the game from being broken, but in no way stops a player from investing all that he can in his "best" stats. A pokemon with higher attack and speed is going to go first and is going to do more damage no matter what--if that's broken, then maybe you should not have stats at all. Instead think about how you can make a pokemon that has high Defense and SpDef worth playing. Also, what the hell is Per, and what does it do?

Edit: The entire point to using the 10% bonus with stats is to PREVENT dumping all of your points into one stat. Because I'm not wanting people to make broken Demi-God Pokemon. They're making pokemon that could exist in a world with hundreds of other pokemon and survive, not rule. Yuor character is not trying to become the ruler of the world, he's trying to survive and maybe improve the life for the pokemon that are trying to work together. Munchkins die pretty fast in this game because they're unbalanced.

You don't seem to understand that I essentially can dump all of my points into one stat. I don't want people to be able to munchkin, either, but there's not much you can do about it--especially with a rigid system. How is it that munchkins die pretty fast in this game because they're unbalanced? If I do a bunch of damage and have quick attack (that way I don't even need speed), I should kill most stuff before I'm ever in real danger.

Also, "being the ruler of the world" has nothing to do with min/maxing.

Croverus
2009-08-26, 03:49 PM
Yes, a person with a high attack and speed will hit first and hit hard... just liek a person with high defense and a ton of health (like the tank class) will soak up that damage liek a sponge then fracture that munchkin's spine cause they have no defense (or special defense, both help add Health) to boost their HP and reduce damage.

And you're right, I'm not making every point count, becasue in the real game, you increase those point depending on the pokemon you fight. Beat a zigzagoon? Gain 1 point in Speed when you level up next. Beat a Geodude? Gain a point in defense (or maybe attack, this si just an example).

Since we're making pokemon from scratch, that way of gaining stats won't work. So I made stat growth increase the stats important to the role you play.

And Per is Personality, it can make Status moves stronger, and will help with non-combat with NPCs.

Zovc
2009-08-26, 04:03 PM
If you want to keep things the way they are, instead of counting every 10 points of your stat, you could give pokemon one-tenth of the stat points they would. Smaller numbers are easier to work with.

Croverus
2009-08-26, 04:35 PM
Yeah... I just don't like it that way because then Everyone pretty much woudl start out their stats being like, 1 or 2, and stat growth would look tiny. Its also to do with stat modifying moves and items. If someone uses growl or sand tomb or something to lower the Attack or Speed on the example you gave earlier, his moves become much les effective unless he has stat altering moves or items to counter those situations. I use the larger numbers only becasue the bonuses and reductions are often too small to use a smaller scale. If this was a computer game sure it would work, the computer could keep track of the decimals and all that. But like you said, its a tabeltop game. I'll try and make it work, and as long as its playable and people can have fun with it, I'm happy.

Zovc
2009-08-26, 05:20 PM
Dungeons and Dragons makes things seem bigger than they are with ability scores causing modifiers, not that I suggest you do something like that.

If a good level 1 Pokemon has 5-7 in one or two stats, Growl reducing something by 1-3 is pretty serious, and will continue to have a moderate impact on the game provided pokemon don't get more than 4 points to a stat every two levels.

On the other hand, with the 10% system, Growl only does something to you if you're within 3 points of the last 10-point increment. In order for Growl to always be effective (although possibly not at low levels), you have to make it take 10 away from attack. Also, Growl becomes really powerful if it stacks like it does in the games, because in the early levels, you can easily destroy one's bonuses to their attack (whether or not you wanted -1, -2, -3, -etc% is up to you). It may be balanced to have it take 5 away if it stacks, since you are leaning towards group-based combat. Two Pokemon growling at one pokemon reduces its damage bonus by 1% every turn. Also, things that affect accuracy should affect more than 1%.

Croverus
2009-08-26, 05:25 PM
... Whya re you talking about Accuracy? Or Stat changing moves? Attack and Defense stats, and even Speed, no longer have an effect on any of these.

A higher Personality can improves Status Moves, a lot. Every 10 points increase Area effect Status moves by adding 1 to teh radius, which since most already have a radius of 3 or more, that's a lot of spaces. They add points to how effective they are. And Growl is only SUPPOSED to eb effective early on. You still have growl at level 20? Wow, I have Charm, which is twice as effective. More so with a decent Personality score.

And Accuracy is determined by the move. The Move says what it hits one. A move that changes accuracy directly decreases or increases that number by at least 5, if not more. Sand attack lowers accuracy for all enemeis in Cone by 15% (Not 15% of the origional Accuracy. The % listed drops by 15.)

Zovc
2009-08-26, 05:39 PM
I was saying that Growl should reduce attack by some increment of 5 or 10 in order to have a real impact on the game.

Sand Attack seems quite powerful if it sets every move's accuracy to 15%. What about moves like Growl that don't really require aiming, do those drop to 15%?

I'm going to turn to your other thread with my next post, I had a train of thought, but I just lost it. Whenever whatever it was comes back to me, it'll be in the main thread.

Croverus
2009-08-26, 05:43 PM
Not TO 15%, by 15%. So Tackle goes from 95% Acc, to 80%. Then 65%, then 50%, 35%, 20%. I might cap stat changes to 5 reductions.

Gotta go home, would love to discuss this more.