PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Craft

JaxGaret
2009-08-14, 12:19 AM
Anyone tried this out yet? It looks pretty promising from what I've heard of it.

wykydtron
2009-08-14, 12:38 AM
What is it exactly? It sounds like a RPG system but I can't be sure.

PinkysBrain
2009-08-14, 12:50 AM
The fantasy version of Spycraft it seems (haven't played either).

JaxGaret
2009-08-14, 01:43 AM
It's a similar type of product to what Pathfinder is, but it seems like they did a much better job of it from what I've read and heard about it.

PinkysBrain
2009-08-14, 02:07 AM
I don't think that's fair ... even from just reading the excerpts I can see it's a far larger departure. Apart from the fact that it doesn't build on the standard D&D classes/spells/monsters etc. there are more major differences in style.

It divides up the campaign in scenes and adventures (has specific rules for those divisions). PCs use fundamentally different rules from NPCs. Skills are probably more important. They have action points.

It's D20, but it's not an evolution of 3e (which is not necessarily a bad thing, but just something different from what Pathfinder tries).

JaxGaret
2009-08-14, 02:31 AM
I don't think that's fair ... even from just reading the excerpts I can see it's a far larger departure. Apart from the fact that it doesn't build on the standard D&D classes/spells/monsters etc. there are more major differences in style.

It divides up the campaign in scenes and adventures (has specific rules for those divisions). PCs use fundamentally different rules from NPCs. Skills are probably more important. They have action points.

It's D20, but it's not an evolution of 3e (which is not necessarily a bad thing, but just something different from what Pathfinder tries).

It's a bit more different from 3e than Pathfinder is, but it is as incompatible with 3e as Pathfinder is. AFAICT it seems like the changes in Fantasy Craft that do make for the larger departure from 3e are changes that I was looking for Pathfinder to make in the first place, and was disappointed when I found out that it did not.

Grey Paladin
2009-08-14, 10:41 AM
FantasyCraft is what 4th Edition should've been.

Fixer
2009-08-14, 10:52 AM
I have been reading on Star Wars Saga and got to thinking that adapting that system to fantasy role-playing would probably be pretty spiffy.

After I finish my Halo / Star Wars Saga crossover I'll work on that.

PinkysBrain
2009-08-14, 12:17 PM
It's a bit more different from 3e than Pathfinder is, but it is as incompatible with 3e as Pathfinder is. AFAICT it seems like the changes in Fantasy Craft that do make for the larger departure from 3e are changes that I was looking for Pathfinder to make in the first place, and was disappointed when I found out that it did not.
Well as I said, I've never played Spycraft or this so I have no experience with their systems ... but personally I think something like Frank Trollman&Co's Tomes represent more what Pathfinder should have been than this. This game seems far more story telling conducive and much more DM friendly ... in short, nothing like 3e :p (They are worthy goals, but it's a compromise against the internal consistency of the game world.)

From Pathfinder I wanted fixes and balance, not a different philosophy. It delivered the second, but the first is still somewhat lacking.

JaxGaret
2009-08-14, 02:34 PM
Well as I said, I've never played Spycraft or this so I have no experience with their systems

Neither have I.

... but personally I think something like Frank Trollman&Co's Tomes

Which are good to excellent, but incomplete.

represent more what Pathfinder should have been than this. This game seems far more story telling conducive and much more DM friendly ... in short, nothing like 3e :p (They are worthy goals, but it's a compromise against the internal consistency of the game world.)

Are you talking about the "scene" mechanic specifically, or something else?

From Pathfinder I wanted fixes and balance, not a different philosophy. It delivered the second, but the first is still somewhat lacking.

Agreed, though I would say more than somewhat lacking.

Grey Paladin
2009-08-14, 03:44 PM
I have the book, so feel free to ask me anything.

The art is great, by the way (http://inkthinker.deviantart.com/art/FantasyCraft-Head-to-Foot-96967318?offset=0)

EDIT: Damage types&Effects preview (http://crafty-games.com//files/File/Fantasy_Craft-Damage_Type_Preview.pdf)

JaxGaret
2009-08-15, 12:56 PM
I have the book, so feel free to ask me anything.

I'll try to think of specifics, but in the meantime, what do you find to be some of the best aspects of it?

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-15, 01:04 PM
I'd really appreciate an overview of the Keeper class, if you have the time. From what I've heard, I'm struggling to identify their role within the party.