PDA

View Full Version : Thread Purge...

AKA_Bait
2009-08-14, 06:59 AM
So, if a thread got purged, and you didn't save it first it is gone forever right? Just wanted to make 100% sure that I'm screwed.

See, I wrote up this campaign setting for a PbP game that never really got off the ground (Cantaras) and as I was working on it I saved it to the computer on which I was working. That computer happened to be the one in my office at the time. When that computer bit it, and I subsequently left the firm for unrelated reasons, I lost my backup. When thread purge rolled around, I didn't resave it because I had forgotten that my backup went the way of the dodo. Now, as I ponder running a table top game it occurred to me that I might want to review and possibly reuse the setting. Of course, it's been purged and I can't.

Basically, I know the mods have already said in the various upcoming purge threads that if it got purged it would be gone forever but I figured that it couldn't hurt to ask just in case for some reason that turned out not to be as irrevocably true as it probably is.

Thanks!

Voshkod
2009-08-14, 07:18 AM
You could try searching Google with "Cantaras site:giantitp.com". I found some of your IC and OOC threads there.

AKA_Bait
2009-08-14, 08:24 AM
Searching the site I was able to find those too, but what I'm really after is the recruiting thread since I posted all of the information about the various islands there. The recruiting thread does, in fact, show pop up on a google search but the link just gets you to an oops page on GitP.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-08-14, 03:34 PM
Check for cached versions when you search. When you see the results page, there should be a main link with the Page Title, a short description, the result URL, a link titled "Cached", and a link titled "Similar". Follow the "Cached" link, and you'll get a version saved to Google's server.

You can also use the Wayback Machine to find cached web pages at http://www.archive.org/index.php. It's easier to find even older chaches with that.

AKA_Bait
2009-08-14, 11:31 PM
Check for cached versions when you search. When you see the results page, there should be a main link with the Page Title, a short description, the result URL, a link titled "Cached", and a link titled "Similar". Follow the "Cached" link, and you'll get a version saved to Google's server.

You can also use the Wayback Machine to find cached web pages at http://www.archive.org/index.php. It's easier to find even older chaches with that.

Tried both of those. No luck.

Oh well. I'm sure that the stuff was not as well done as I remember. Personal bias and all.

Thanks folks.

Jimorian
2009-08-15, 05:05 AM
Edit: nevermind, totally missed that the Wayback Machine was already mentioned.