PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Shinies I

Pages : [1] 2

neoseph7
2009-08-14, 02:36 PM
After traversing the ruined woods for 3 days, the party finally comes upon the location of the long forgotten castle, and an encounter.

Roll for initiative.

Three spiders beset the party, two of which are as big as a person, and the other about twice as large.

chilepepper
2009-08-14, 03:10 PM
Godrick, human monk-fighter

“Unhappy is the fate of one who tries to win his battles and succeed in his attacks without cultivating the spirit of enterprise, for the result is waste of time and general stagnation.”

[roll0]
HP: 11/11
AC:18 T:18 F:14
Effects: none
In Hand: Siangham // Siangham

4is111
2009-08-14, 03:41 PM
Deven, human sorcerer/transmuter

"This is really more of your department. Squish the little blighters, would you?"
Inti:[roll0]
HP: 5/5
AC: 11 FF: 10 Touch: 11
In hand: staff

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-14, 04:43 PM
Edgard Magnus, Fighting Holy Man

"TOO MUCH TALK, NOT ENOUGH ACTION!"

HP: 9/13
AC:16 T:12 FF:14
In Hand: Greatsword

Click me (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=144689) for the sheet.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-14, 04:45 PM
Forgot, sorry.
Initiative:
[roll0]

Demons_eye
2009-08-14, 07:26 PM
Jack Smith, Wizard/Rouge

Jack Shall Have Magenta
Inti:[roll0] ITs 20 Jack has improved init and I forgot to add it .... ><
HP: 7/7
AC: 14 FF: 10 Touch: 10
In hand: Short bow

Trodon
2009-08-14, 07:27 PM
Ector

"Well about time we got a fight."

INI [roll0]
HP:13/13
AC:18 Touch:10 FF:18
Right hand:Longsword
Left hand Tower shield

neoseph7
2009-08-15, 04:23 PM
Yay! I got to keep five of you. Amazing. The battle looks like this:
http://plaza.ufl.edu/neoseph/half_battle.png

In the near future we shall discuss marching order, but for the time being, this is the battle map (each square is 5ft wide). You can be in spaces occupied by trees, they grant you partial cover. Both shrubbery and trees impede your movement by 5' (so it costs 10' to move through rather than 5').

Spider initiative: [roll0]

Edit:
The order of combat is
Jack, Edgard, Deven, Godrick, the Spiders, Ector.

Btw, this fight should be level appropriate, but getting CRs right is difficult with (1) Gestalt and (2) Pbp since someone who stops posting isn't in the game (as an example, if there were seven of you rather than 5 this would be an easy fight). At the moment, since you guys have initiative, as long as you don't roll low, this should be a normal fight. All the same if I have to DM the fight so you don't die, I know how much that doesn't feel like fun but, again, it is because getting the CRs right can be difficult.

4is111
2009-08-15, 04:58 PM
"You physical types can handle a few spiders, can't you? No need for me to waste any spells. I'll just hang back, and you can call me if anything important happens."
move to B7

Demons_eye
2009-08-15, 05:29 PM
Jack moves to A3 amusing that the gray cracks are not a wall and knock a arrow back firing quickly at the Bigest/Middle Spider thing

[roll0]Attack
[roll1]Damage
[roll2]Sneak Attack
Knowledge Check
[roll3] Plane
[roll4] Dungeon
[roll5] Arcane

neoseph7
2009-08-15, 05:47 PM
Jack moves to A3 amusing that the gray cracks are not a wall and knock a arrow back firing quickly at the Bigest/Middle Spider thing

[roll0]Attack
[roll1]Damage
[roll2]Sneak Attack
Knowledge Check
[roll3] Plane
[roll4] Dungeon
[roll5] Arcane

The grey cracks are indeed a wall, but you can still attack before your move with no penalty for firing into a melee nor soft cover. However, since you rolled a natural 2,it doesn't really matter.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-15, 07:20 PM
Edgard yelled a monstrous roar before heading for the largest looking spider. Undaunted by the uneven terrain, he marches onward to battle. He looked at the monster straight in any of those hellish eyes, and swung his blade full force.

Fortune favors the bold, right guys?

Edgard moves to E5 to deliver some discriminate justice.

Attacking the large spider (I assume that it's large?):

Attack roll:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

neoseph7
2009-08-15, 07:36 PM
Edgard yelled a monstrous roar before heading for the largest looking spider. Undaunted by the uneven terrain, he marches onward to battle. He looked at the monster straight in any of those hellish eyes, and swung his blade full force.

Fortune favors the bold, right guys?

Edgard moves to E5 to deliver some discriminate justice.

Attacking the large spider (I assume that it's large?):

Attack roll:
[roll0]+1 if it is large.

Damage:
[roll1]

Why +1 if it's large?

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-15, 07:41 PM
Oh, right. That's a -1 AC, not give a +1 to hit. My bad.

Edit: It is a large spider, right?

neoseph7
2009-08-15, 07:52 PM
Oh, right. That's a -1 AC, not give a +1 to hit. My bad.

Edit: It is a large spider, right?

No. It's Gargantuan.:smalltongue: Yeah, she's large. Don't tell that to her face though.

chilepepper
2009-08-16, 12:47 PM
Round 1 - Godrick

Godrick charges forth and attacks.

Moving to F7.

Sting of the Bee
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Stats

Initiative: 10

neoseph7
2009-08-16, 06:26 PM
Edgard and Godrick step up and bring the hurt to the largest spider. In spite of their best efforts, the dumb thing is still standing.

The largest spider will retaliate against Edgard, along with her northern partner. The southern spider will move up to attack Godrick.

Med Spider1: Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]
Large Spider: Attack [roll2] Damage [roll3]
Med Spider2: Attack [roll4] Damage [roll5]

If either of you guys are hit, please make fortitude saves.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-16, 06:31 PM
I take 4 damage.
Fort save:
[roll0]

4is111
2009-08-16, 06:43 PM
"Come on, do it like you mean it! Good help is so hard to find."

neoseph7
2009-08-16, 06:44 PM
I take 4 damage.
Fort save:
[roll0]

The save succeeds. No STR Damage for you!

chilepepper
2009-08-16, 06:48 PM
Edgard and Godrick step up and bring the hurt to the largest spider. In spite of their best efforts, the dumb thing is still standing.

I moved to F7 not E6 and from there I couldn't have attacked the large spider.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-16, 06:52 PM
"HA! I LAUGH AT THE FACE OF DANGER!"

neoseph7
2009-08-16, 07:38 PM
I moved to F7 not E6 and from there I couldn't have attacked the large spider.

That changes little. I have edited the map, and instead you attacked the medium spider next to you?

Demons_eye
2009-08-16, 07:51 PM
Jack moves to c5 and attack the spider on E4

Edit:Er damn I saw chilepepper shirt and thought he was Trodon
[roll0]
[roll1]

neoseph7
2009-08-16, 08:09 PM
I should have said this sooner. You can post before it is your turn. Do not wait for others to go. Sometime tomorrow I will be posting the spiders next turn. Until then, Ector, followed by the rest of the party need to post their actions if they don't want to take full defense actions. I will sort out later who does what when, and will likely fudge some of your actions to make up for time. (so your action may also include a move to flank that you didn't know was possible until someone else moved). I will never modify your actions in a way that would be harmful, and likewise will give you the benefit of the doubt ifyou post an action that doesn't make sense (under the assumption I did a bad job of explaining the situation, and the player should never be punished for such).

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-16, 08:16 PM
Is it a new round?

neoseph7
2009-08-16, 08:17 PM
Technically no. But you can still post your next actions. Whatever Ector is doing will probably not affect your character.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-16, 08:26 PM
Edgard yelled something incoherent before attacking the spider that hit him. He did so with a smile on his face that looked more of madness than happy.

Edgard has a one-track mind. He's actually a barbarian in a cleric's body.

Attack roll:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

Trodon
2009-08-16, 11:33 PM
Move to E6 "Time to see how tough this spider hits."

[roll0]
damage [roll1]
crit conformation if needed [roll2]

Left hand Tower shield

neoseph7
2009-08-16, 11:41 PM
Round 2 has officially begun.

Jack and Edgard have already gone. Deven and Godrick still get to take their actions. Then the spiders (which I will post sometime after I wake up tomorrow/later today). The large spider btw looks to be on its last legs (no pun intended).

Edit: The attack still hits either way, but I am taking into account firing into a melee. It would be useful if I knew whether or not Jack had precise shot (actually, his sheet is linked, so were good for him). To that note, could you each link your character sheets in your sigs please?

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-16, 11:45 PM
Done, boss.

Edit: It's in my first post.

Demons_eye
2009-08-16, 11:47 PM
He should all ready be there

chilepepper
2009-08-16, 11:55 PM
Godrick - round 2

Godrick follows up with a different maneuver.

I take a 5' step to be as near to another enemy as possible while still staying in melee range of the spider I'm attacking.

Sting of the Wasp
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Stats

http://tinyurl.com/ngw5f2

neoseph7
2009-08-17, 12:29 AM
Godrick - round 2

Godrick follows up with a different maneuver.

I take a 5' step to be as near to another enemy as possible while still staying in melee range of the spider I'm attacking.

Sting of the Wasp
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Stats

Too bad you don't have cleave. The second medium spider is down thanks to your second attack. The other two attacks miss. (I assume the third attack was directed towards the large spider). I cannot tell if you want to be in F6 or G6.

chilepepper
2009-08-17, 02:38 AM
Too bad you don't have cleave. The second medium spider is down thanks to your second attack. The other two attacks miss. (I assume the third attack was directed towards the large spider). I cannot tell if you want to be in F6 or G6.

My goal was to be in melee range of two enemies, or as close to the second enemy as possible. The end result would be to use flurry again in round three, but flurry is a full round action, so I am limited to a 5' step. I'm just trying to keep the flurries flowing by using every 5' step I can.

neoseph7
2009-08-17, 03:50 AM
My goal was to be in melee range of two enemies, or as close to the second enemy as possible. The end result would be to use flurry again in round three, but flurry is a full round action, so I am limited to a 5' step. I'm just trying to keep the flurries flowing by using every 5' step I can.

My quandry is as to why place yourself into flanking range. It hardly matters now, but your instructions lead directly to you taking more damage, and so I try to question them (as a DM, TPK follows me around like a stray half-dragon were-lion barbarian). And thus, I try to be as clear and understand the situation as clearly as I can, to prevent this. It seemed like a bad tactic as the result of a bad explanation on my part. Thus why I ask.

chilepepper
2009-08-17, 04:32 AM
F6, which wouldn't be flanking even if the little spider were still alive, though it could easily 5' step the get the flank. I suppose based on the current map, I wouldn't need to 5' step since everyone's pretty crowded. However, in general, I would risk being flanked to insure getting to flurry every round.

4is111
2009-08-17, 11:38 AM
Deven takes no action other than taking cover, taking full defencive, and complaining.

Trodon
2009-08-17, 04:37 PM
Here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=144734) is my character.

neoseph7
2009-08-17, 05:17 PM
For future reference, the signature (or sig for short) is the area under your message that remains constant foir each post and is set in the User CP.

The two remaining spiders attack the party. The medium spider moves to D5 to attack Jack, while the big mama takes another swipe at Edgard

Medium Spider: attack [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Lage Spider: attack [roll2] Damage: [roll3]
If either of you two get het, please make a fortitude save against poison.

Ector and then round three. You guys may post as soon as you wish.

Edit: The big spider is technically at +6 for flanking, but that hardly matters. I rolled the rest of the dice IRL, and a natural 3 isn't hitting, so no crit.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-17, 05:27 PM
Fort save:
[roll0]

Edgard roared. With fury and anger, he slashed at the large spider.

Attack roll:
[roll1]
Damage:
[roll2]

Demons_eye
2009-08-17, 07:08 PM
Jack rolls back 5 feet recoiling off the spider. As he is kneeling he knocks another arrow and fires for the things eyes.

Wow really? Really?!
[roll0] Fort save
[roll1] Attack roll
[roll2] Damge Roll
[roll3] Sneak Attack

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-17, 07:09 PM
Something's wrong with the dice today. That's like the 7th nat 1 I've seen all day.

chilepepper
2009-08-17, 09:19 PM
Godrick

Godrick joins with the party in assailing the large beast.

Sting of the Wasp
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8] <-- there's my contribution to the Nat1 fund
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

stats

Trodon
2009-08-18, 12:25 AM
Ector swings at the large spider yet again.

damage [roll1]
crit conformation if needed [roll]1d20=5

stats:
Left hand Tower shield

neoseph7
2009-08-18, 06:51 PM
12:00PM

Ector Deals the finishing blow to the Large spider, while Edgard slices the last spider into two clean halves.

Looking around, the party finally starts to notice the area. The maples, birchs, oaks, and hickorys weave a dense canopy that lets small pockets of light through, illuminating a beam composed of moving leaves, motes of dust, and the occasional massive spider web.

Searching the area, the party finds the tree likely used by the spiders for nesting. A large web blocks access to the inner chamber, but what looks like a cocoon can be seen further in.

The forest area withing the Castle's ruins stretch on to the North, South, and East. West leads away from this place.

4is111
2009-08-18, 07:06 PM
Peering into the spiders' nest, Deven wonders aloud "Do you suppose that some less fortunate travellers fell victem to the spiders, and that their treasures are now wrapped inside this abandoned web? Jack, you're a slippery one, why don't you have a look? I wonder why spiders would have a cocoon. It is probably their last meal stored for later. Does anyone know how to milk spiders for their posion? I wager it could serve us better than it served them."

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-18, 07:08 PM
Edgard laid a glowing hand on himself. The burden of the previous battle melted away.
Expending the spell slot for Remove Fear to cast Cure Light Wounds on myself for:
[roll0]

Edgard sighed, and turned to the group. "All right, who's hurt? Who needs tending to?"

The cleric looks at the scene of the battle. "That was a good fight. Does the body good, that."

Demons_eye
2009-08-18, 07:11 PM
"Give me a few minutes and I will see what I can do. As for the poison, I would not try for a hundred gold. I am hurt a little but it would not hinder my searches." Jack mutter's to the group as he moves around carefully looking.

[roll0] Search
[roll1] Spot
[roll2] Listen

neoseph7
2009-08-19, 04:33 AM
Digging through the spider's remains, the party finds a web sac containing hundreds of tiny spiderlings and a partially digested warrior who has rather obviously seen better days. His armor is in horrible disarray, and looks to not have been that good to begin with, but the Longsword he still clutches is in better condition.

The Longsword is damaged, but can still be used as a Morningstar* with less than a minute of work. A minute of trained labor (appropriate craft or profession DC15) will turn the weapon into a unique, though still mundane, Longsword. An hour of quality work (DC 17) will make it a Masterwork Weapon.
* It's not a morning star in apperance by any stretch of the imagination. It would simply take up the weapon properties of one.
Fixing the Weapon will require using the chiton of the larger spider, specifically one of the legs. These are the "improvised" tools available in the area for skill checks. If the party has an appropriate tool set, then the spider remains need not be used.

The soldier also appears to be clutching a black shard of glass, though closer inspection reveals the glass to be ordinary in color, but covered in some kind of substance that can only be described as "alchemical" blood.

Looking at this, the party is able to view the Large spider in a new light. It was darker in color, a fact that hardly seems imprtant in the heat of battle, but the same substance covering the shard is also spewing from the wounds in the large spider, and covers part of her face.

Under the soldier is a cache of loot, composed of 150GP in chickens, and 2 unknown potions.

I'm not kidding, but don't take it seriosously. Your "loot" follows you around, but hides during combat and doesn't need rescuing. This is just for sillyness and giggles. If you prefer something more serious, I will drum up the appropriate amount of loot in CP, SP, GP, and gems.

There are now 3 ways to go for the party (N,S,E). To simplify matters, if you care about which route to take, please include a diplomacy check with where you want to go. This isn't 100% fair, but it speeds up adventuring. Or if you prefer, I can lead you by the nose, in which case you go North, but it really doesn't matter to me which way you go (I rolled N randomly)

P.S. I think the rules for working with poisons are non-core (asides from applying it to weapons). I'll let you use craft:alchemy though.

neoseph7
2009-08-19, 07:58 AM
Just an FYI, according to the rules, you can't make a normal weapon into a masterwork weapon.

The weapon was masterwork to begin with. Do the rules say specifically that you can't downgrade a non-magical weapon because of damage?
More importantly, the rules for crafting leave a lot to be desired, and I have bent things to make those skills moderatly more interesting for the situation, without utterly ruining the spirit of DnD. Sue me.:smallamused:

In general as a DM I do fudge the rules a little. I try to only do it to the benefit of the player and to make the game more fun to play.

And in the future, please send me a message if it is about rules. The PM can also be sent to the other players, I'm not concerned with keeping face and am willing to accept when I'm wrong in front of others, but I would prefer to not discuss this sort of thing in an In Character thread.

4is111
2009-08-19, 02:22 PM
Deven takes one of the potions, shakes it, and puts it to his ear. "I wonder if I've seen this before."
appraise 1st potion [roll0]
craft (alchemy) to identify 1st potion [roll1]
appraise 2nd potion [roll2]
craft (alchemy) to identify 2ndpotion [roll3]
craft (alchemy) to identify the black ooze [roll4]
appraise to identify the sword as once masterwork [roll5]

neoseph7
2009-08-19, 08:22 PM
Deven takes one of the potions, shakes it, and puts it to his ear. "I wonder if I've seen this before."
appraise 1st potion [roll0]
craft (alchemy) to identify 1st potion [roll1]
appraise 2nd potion [roll2]
craft (alchemy) to identify 2ndpotion [roll3]
craft (alchemy) to identify the black ooze [roll4]
appraise to identify the sword as once masterwork [roll5]

I don't quite think Alchemy covers potions, though appraise tells you that similar potions in weight and color have sold for 150GP retail (the two potions have a diiferent color and aroma). The alchemy on the goop doesn't tell you anything more than that it is an unatural, alchemical substance. It has the smell of blood (Ferrous), along with the noxious after-smell of brimstone (Sulphorous)

The blade of the sword was masterwork, and is identifiable from it's manufacturers tag (punishable by law for being removed). No skill is needed to make the identification.

4is111
2009-08-19, 08:58 PM
"Not much else to do here. I'll hold onto the potions for now, anyone need a club? I have a feeling that north is a good direction to head from here."
Just checking because certain alchemical substances, such as alchemist's fire and antitoxin resemble potions.
edit- forgot to roll to harvest venom. You said poison working is covered under alchemy, would it let me harvest the venom?

4is111
2009-08-19, 09:31 PM
Craft (alchemy) to milk the venom: [roll0]

neoseph7
2009-08-19, 09:50 PM
Craft (alchemy) to milk the venom: [roll0]

You now have [roll0] Dose(s) of large spider venom (1d6 str damage fort DC 13. Beware of application issues (DMG, though I dont recall whch page).

chilepepper
2009-08-19, 11:43 PM
Godrick

"North it is then" says Godrick as he waves away the offer of the damaged sword.

stats
Initiative: --

neoseph7
2009-08-20, 05:26 AM
12:20PM

The party makes their way through thick underbrush, walking along side the runied wall. Finally they come across a clearing leading to a door in the stone wall. This used to be the base of a tower, though the stone only stretches 20ft high at most now. The door is composed of reinforced wood which has withheld the warping test of time, probably with the aid of magic.

It looks something like this:

The current party order is what I assumed would be appropriate for a 10ft wide path. If you guys want something differnt in the future, please PM me. Please also PM me with what order you want to be in when moving single file (e.i narrow corridors).

chilepepper
2009-08-20, 06:23 AM
Godrick

"He who takes a chance, who walks the line between the known and unknown, who is unafraid of failure, will succeed." Godrick says as he readies his weapons and nods to Edgar to open the door.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-20, 10:58 AM
"Fortune favors the bold, eh gentlemen?" Edgard said.

With loins girded, he walked towards the door to open it.

neoseph7
2009-08-20, 12:19 PM
"Fortune favors the bold, eh gentlemen?" Edgard said.

With loins girded, he walked towards the door to open it.

Reflex Save Vs. Traps.

As the mighty beast of a man opens the door, the sky itself seems falls upon him, though the rest of his comrades simply see the clever trap hiding the stones with the castle wall.

BTW. My games have traps. Might I recomend a new strategy?

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-20, 12:22 PM
Let's do this.

Reflex save:
[roll0]

4is111
2009-08-20, 12:31 PM
"Simpletons! Have Jack search for traps whenever we open a door!"
What's in the room?

neoseph7
2009-08-20, 02:49 PM
The falling rock trap uses an attack roll instead of a reflex save (I finally found my DM guide. Sorry), and thus misses you entirely (no 2d6 damage for you).

Opening the door reveals... an empty room composed of worked stone, same as the masonry used in the castle walls. The first few steps of a stairwell lead to nothing, as the rest of the steps are long gone. At the far side of the room is a carved relief of a minor Moon Goddess. In her hands are what appear to be glittering gem stones.

Knowledge religion anyone?

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-20, 02:53 PM
Edgard felt invincible from that near brush with danger. "Ha!" He laughed at the rock trap's face.

"Anyway," Edgard turned to the room before him. "Hmm, what do we got here?"

Knowledge (Religion):
[roll0]

Demons_eye
2009-08-20, 05:07 PM
"Yes please let me check next ti.... Ohhhhhh shiny!" Jack says looking at the gem.

[roll0] K. Religion

4is111
2009-08-20, 05:55 PM
"Hmm, stand back, and prepare to witness my awsome arcane power!." Detect Magic
knowledge religeon [roll0]
appraise on statue [roll1](forgot to count raven familiar last time)
appraise on gems for value and type [roll2]
spellcraft for school on statue [roll3]

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-20, 05:58 PM
"Yes, well," Egard said. "I prefer the more martial aspect of my faith, truth be told. I'll leave the academics to you lot."

neoseph7
2009-08-20, 08:30 PM
Knowledge Religion reveals: There are many Moon Goddess cults (for lack of a better term). Halfway between the druidic spirit worship and the organized religions. However, none of the Moon Goddess mythos give her three arms. The relief is a fake.

Detect magic reveals an illusion aura on the relief, the gems are the result of a simple Figment effect. (further endorsing that this is a fake and that something is amiss).

The relief appears to be movable, but heavy. Who moves to work on the stone, and does anyone perform any other actions?

4is111
2009-08-20, 08:43 PM
"Hold! My magic has reveiled to me that this statue is not of material stone, but arcane wisps. Who ever put this here was trying to fake the presence of moon worshipers. The jewels don't even duplicate any real jems. Odd that he didn't just provide his own statue. Jack, go an check it for traps won't you? Then two of you lot can move it to see what its hiding, if there is anything tangable there."

Demons_eye
2009-08-20, 10:56 PM
"Might take a while" Jack mutters. He slowly works his way around the room checking every place he can think of all while looking out for anything that might be dangerous.

Taking 20 on my search making it 28. Its 30 if my cat familiar can get a 10 on his aid another.

Cats
[roll0] Search
[roll1] Listen
[roll2] Spot

Jacks
[roll3] Listen
[roll4] Spot

neoseph7
2009-08-20, 11:31 PM
1:20 PM

Jack eventually realizes the whole room is trapped. The floor is set to fall if stepped on with too much weight in the wrong place, also triggering a grease spell, which will keep unwitting adventurers down (There may be more to the trap, but it would be under the floor). The fake relief on the wall has it's own trap, specifically a multi-scythe attack from the goddess (the sythes are hidden by the same illusion that is making the gems appear).

28 is more than enough for the search check, and honestly I'm not sure about allowing the cat to help. I see reasons both to allow and not allow. PM me for a better discussion if you want. Note: you cannot take 20 on disable device checks.

Demons_eye
2009-08-20, 11:54 PM
"Whole rooms set to fall. Got some nasty blades ready to chop some people up over by the statue. Got a spell trap too. Let me try to fix it up. Notice I say try because I am still not that good at this." Jack yells to the others as he walks around carefully pointing to each trap but stays a distance away as to not set them off. He bends down and starts to fiddle with it. Every once in a while the cat will meow and jack will mutter some thing along the lines of "Ya forgot that" or "Maybe but I dont think so"

Rolling Disable device. Do I need 3 rolls or....?

[roll0] Floor trap
[roll1] Spell trap
[roll2] Blade trap

neoseph7
2009-08-21, 12:18 AM
"Whole rooms set to fall. Got some nasty blades ready to chop some people up over by the statue. Got a spell trap too. Let me try to fix it up. Notice I say try because I am still not that good at this." Jack yells to the others as he walks around carefully pointing to each trap but stays a distance away as to not set them off. He bends down and starts to fiddle with it. Every once in a while the cat will meow and jack will mutter some thing along the lines of "Ya forgot that" or "Maybe but I dont think so"

Rolling Disable device. Do I need 3 rolls or....?

[roll0] Floor trap
[roll1] Spell trap
[roll2] Blade trap

Your result on the floor trap is enough that you can manipulate the floor to lower it slowly, while not on it. The sythe blades can be used as is as sickles, or the hafts can be modified to make them full scythes. The spell trap is powered by a magical tile which can function as a scroll for the purposes of scribing the spell into a spell book, though the tile can not be removed without breaking it, so this process must take place in the room.

The relief, unarmed, still needs to be moved. With no further danger in the room, the party is able to drag it aside, revealing a reinforced chest (one that used to have a floating disk charm to make for easy carrying. I assume the detect magic effect is still going). The chest has Elven writing on it suggesting it belonged to an Elven military group. Knowledge history for more information on these markings.

The chest is very heavy (150lbs) and partially attached to the floor. It's lock a rather impressive device, or at least was. It is likely rusted enough to be smashed with one good thwack if an Open Lock check fails.

Demons_eye
2009-08-21, 12:34 AM
"One more job for me" Jack mutters to him self.

[roll0] Disable device
[roll1] Str check

neoseph7
2009-08-21, 12:58 AM
"One more job for me" Jack mutters to him self.

[roll0] Disable device
[roll1] Str check

For the life of me I never know why open lock needs to be different from disable device (I can believe that to open a lock, a thief might use their dex mod instead of their int), but they really didn't need two seperate skills. Rules are rules though, and the rogue does get a ton of skill points to balance it out. The Disable device check was high enough to pull of the Floating Disk attachment. If you can ever restore mana to it, it will function as a wand of Tensor's Floating Disk (not to be confused with Vector's Floating Disk).

The strength check is only enough to break off the outer layer of rust, revealing that the lock is still in damn good condition underneath, and is going to need a much greater thwack.

edit: I saw that Jack has open lock, so to not delay the inevitable, I assume he takes 20 on the check (for a result of 28), which is enough to open her up.

Inside the chest is a box consisting of odd bars wrapped in darkleaf*. Further, there is a masterwork heavy cross bow assembly (1 minute to put it together. Think sniper rifle setup from the movies), a quantity of ancient coins (50 platnum rods about half a cm in diameter and 5 cm in length with the phrase "Victory through Valor" etched in Slyven). Further, there is a mithral chain shirt bearing the relief of a Scimitar superimposed onto the Moon, along with a set of numbers and a name (Laerinos Orichalmisae). A dark green cloak and a pair of boots are also in the chest.

A knowledge history check may reveal more about the contents of the chest. The Cloak and boots are not magical, but still exceptional. In a forest or underground area, they provide +2 to move silently and hide checks. In well lit areas though, the cloak is in stark contrast to the surroundings, and results in a -2 penalty to hide. For some dumb reason, the boots squeak on worked, flat surfaces, such as stone floors or paved roads (-2 move silently penalty). They work only on natural cave floor and grassy or earthy surfaces.

*Elven war rations. Alchemically treated granola bars that literally last millenia. Unfortunatly, they are almost completly inedible, and need to be soaked in warm water for half an hour to soften. They also taste worse than eating moldy bark. With no water present, the bar can be crushed (with a hammer) into smaller pieces and left in the mouth to slowly nourish the imbiber. For all their flaws, they are extremely nourishing. A single bar, about the size of a Mars Bar IRL, can keep an active adult male healthy for a whole week. They are also prized by alchemists for all the work that goes into them, which allow them to be used as a catalist for making various other alchemical substances.
The darkleaf wrapper is basically leather made from leaves via another alchemical process, and is there to protect the bars from spoilage further.

If you can find a buyer, the bars in this package would be worth a total of 500GP. The lot of them weigh 10lbs.

chilepepper
2009-08-21, 02:20 AM
edit:

"Excellent, you got the chest open."

Demons_eye
2009-08-21, 11:02 AM
"I'll think I will take this and this" Jack says out loud taking a sickle and the crossbow. He starts to put it together "Lets see 50 rods 5 people they look in good condition too. 10 each and that might be worth 100 gp, we also have a lot of chickens following us, the boots, cloak, chain mail, and the sword. Oh and one more sickle." As Jack says this he starts to pass out the bars and pulls out the rest of the loot they have gotten so far. "How we going to split the rest up.

Rolling K. History.
[roll0]

OoC: I meant Open lock not Disable device sorry, they have the same modifier so I just copied the roll formula and forgot to change the name :/

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-21, 11:03 AM
"You got the right of it, lad!" Edgard said. "But our friend here has done it.

Trodon
2009-08-21, 01:12 PM
ooc: Sorry I didn't post yesterday I couldn't get to a computer Don't have time to read the new ones I'll post later.

4is111
2009-08-21, 05:09 PM
"Jack, bring you along has payed off already. Feel free to dismantle traps for me anytime. I'll take those bars; they are invaluable to a skilled alchemist like myself but little more than paperweights to anyone else. Hand me that rod that was making the disk; I may be able to repair it later. I speak elven, let me see those runes. I'd like to get a look at that tile, see if I can divine it's purpose."
spellcraft to determain the spell on the scroll [roll0]
if that fails, I cast READ MAGIC

Demons_eye
2009-08-21, 09:50 PM
"I dabble in alchemy myself friend and looking at these tell me they are worth a lot. So we should spread them out unless you want to buy some ones share?" Jack says as he takes 10 and puts them in his pack. His stomach rumbles and he pulls out some food sharing it with his cat. He waits till he finishes what he ate to say "I'd say ten bars would be about two pounds and that's one hundred gold right there."

OoC: Were are you seeing a scroll?

neoseph7
2009-08-21, 09:53 PM
Before I get to coloring the scene, do you guys continue working in this area (making the trap floor move to further explore) or do you guys leave and head east?

The tile scroll on the wall is grease.

Warning: All of this is flavor, and you don't have to read it for the adventure.

Knowledge history: The chest belonged to a Lieutenant First Class of the Elven Alliance, a military group that was formed in the Drow Wars some 2600 years ago. The group was disbanded and replaced by local military services around the Elven Decline, about 450 years ago. The year on the box correlates to an older calender, but should be around 600 to 800 years old. This unit was likely a sniper (Gnome Trained by the looks of the crossbow).

At the time, small bands of highly trained units were sent out to deal quick blows to key figures while allied armies (Dwarf for subterrainian campaigns, but mostly Gnome) did the real invasion work. The whole continent was engaged in combat back then, and this castle was a part of it. It can be one of 5 in the relative area that was key to the defense of massive iron deposits. All of these castles have since been lost, found every so often by adventurers, but usually forgotten just as quickly.

Of interest was Castle Red Fang, which if this was it, means a great victory that shifted the war in the Alliances favor here. The plans to build a gate to the lower planes and keep this gate mobile and controllable were held in the castle under the tightest security possible. Supposedly, a unit of unknown soldiers sacrificed themselves and killed every living thing within 2 miles by taking a small prototype of the gate and triggering it to the negative energy plane, swamping the area with malevolent shadows and creating a breeding ground for undead.

The rest of the local history consists of various religious groups sending teams to wipe out the undead, followed by evil wargroups taking the forest as a means to kill enemy paladins that strayed in, and ultimatly, about 250 years ago, the whole forest was wiped clean of any humanoids by an order of druids, who then left themselves.

4is111
2009-08-21, 09:58 PM
"Do you have any tools? These could be a very powerful component in any concoction. I doubt that we'll end up selling these, and if we do, we'd split the gold five ways even, so it doesn't matter who cares them for now. Keep them if you want, but I'd like to use them if the need comes up.
edit- this chest is of historical value only. We might as well leave it."
The tile can be used to scribe the spell as a scroll. We both already know grease, and it can't be removed or read. Its only use is if we want to catch something in this trap. Anyone want to risk removing it?

Demons_eye
2009-08-21, 10:10 PM
"I don't care much for the art as much as the coin. Unless we sold them to a complete idiot I would not care. Like I said If we all just grab ten and you got your share but if you want others barter, trade, or buy them. I'd be up to selling mine even but I noticed how fast you grabbed those potions so I would rather just take me share now then have some one take all of the loot. Not that I don't trust you but it would just put my heart at rest" Jack says with a smile putting his pack back on while his cat jumps to his shoulder.

OoC: Please dont use OOC knowledge in game it urks me.

4is111
2009-08-21, 10:13 PM
OOC: Do you mean the remark about the historical value? I assume that whenever someone makes a knowledge check, he automaticly shares it with the party. If I was too presumptuous, I appologies.

neoseph7
2009-08-21, 11:09 PM
1:45 PM

I like the in-character dialogue. But rewarding XP isn't really applicable...

Hello Boys.Says a voice from behind. A half elf lass wearing six earrings on her left ear and 2 on the right. Bright red hair (prestidigitation) down to her neck, green eyes, and tan skin. She carries a longsword at her side and a small shield on her back. A black tunic shows off more than would be advisable for combat. Her boots are composed of black leather and go up to her knees, with belts colored lavender holding them up. About 30ft behind her is a large statue composed of stone (animated object, not a golem) drawing a merchant's cart.

A seductive smile leads into the rest ofher speech, now that she has your attention. I love adventurers. Great for buisness. Needless to say, I am a traveling merchant, and you are my customers. Potions, weapons, armor, scrolls, even a few wands. And since you all are... virgin to my establishment, half off for our first encounter.

Sex Sells. You can find most potions and wands up to 2nd level, along with masterwork weapons. The only magical weapons she has (which are way out your price range, are a +1 Spear, and a +1 Frost Londsword (which she is carrying). She has a +1 suit of chainmail, scale mail, and half plate. Her construct can help her expidite crafting procedures, so if you want something custom, it can be made sooner than the craft skill would normally allow. She is willing to buy your alchemical granola bars, and is also willing to give you 75% store credit (only good with her) rather than 50% gold for items you wish to sell to her.

Demons_eye
2009-08-21, 11:41 PM
"Why hello there" Jack says pulling out his bars "I hope you're not cold in that outfit? I got some nice things here plus a few coins if you have some master work tools I am looking for?"

OoC: looking to sell bars and buy Thieves’ tools, masterwork and A Master work tool for search.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-22, 02:25 AM
"Am I in paradise?" Edgard said. To peruse such a pretty purveyor's purchasable products? To that purpose then, I wish to partake in procuring a proper potion to present in patching, purling, and palliating the physical pains of my party members. Tell me, lass, do you have such a poultice?"

The man turned to the party. "I'll be taking my share of the bars."

I want to sell my bars as well. There's a joke in there somewhere.

Edit: Oh, they're bars. I thought they were rods. Odd.

neoseph7
2009-08-22, 05:48 AM
The bars arent sold. They are coins, and are worth their full value.

4is111
2009-08-22, 09:52 AM
"Oh! Hello there miss!" Deven catches his eyes lowering, and snaps back up. I'm sure we can make a deal. Umm, lets see, oh yes, I have a few doses of giant spider's venom I can sell you. I like to carry my wealth in gems, you don't have any that you'd be willing to part with, do you?"

neoseph7
2009-08-23, 02:17 AM
2:00PM You are all able to find tools and gems as you need. (The gems are not half off. They count as currency). The spider venom is worth 175GP retail.

Masterwork Search tool. The phb allows for masterwork tools to fit most skills, and I'm not against allowing one. However, search is something that one can take 20 on, I'll allow the cat to help, and I'll certainly allow fellow party members to help, which brings the total up to above the DCs on anything in the dungeon (which I've witten). Are you sure you want to spend the cash on such an item?

The lady (Saraj Glimyorei, but just Sara for short) conducts her buisness and informs the party that she will be staying in front of the castle ruin entrance (where you fought the spiders) for a couple of days. She patrols around several sites such as this waiting for adventurers to loot the dangerous areas, with whom she does trade. Several other merchants (or vultures as she refers to them) also frequent this area, but she knows neither when they will next arrive or what they will carry. She then bids the party fare well.

In the 15 minutes since she arrives, everyone in the party is able to do trade (whether they had the chance to post it or not, so don't worry about missing your chance).

So, what do you guys do next? Explore this tower, head east, or head back south?

chilepepper
2009-08-23, 02:21 AM
What was the total share for each party member?

neoseph7
2009-08-23, 02:32 AM
What was the total share for each party member?

I don't even know how many party members there are. I guess I should just give out gold per person to make up for that. Let's just say you each have gained 200GP in either gold (or chickens or gems) and loot (such as the boots and cloak, which were each worth 50GP).

4is111
2009-08-23, 10:18 AM
"I'll sell the venom then. 175/2=87.5 87.5/5 = 17.5 gp each. That isn't very much, so I'll just take 131.25 in store credit, and come back when we need something. Can you open a joint account for my companions and myself? I ask because this being the risky buisness that it is, we might not all come back. So, anyone up for exploring the tower?"

Demons_eye
2009-08-23, 11:16 AM
"Lead the way" Jack says toying with his new tools.

OoC: Unless we are not using a time line I would like to be able to take ten to move faster. Thus the need for every little +2 I can get.

neoseph7
2009-08-23, 09:12 PM
Tomorrow is the first day of school for a lot of you guys, isn't it?

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-23, 09:14 PM
That is the truth.

chilepepper
2009-08-23, 09:27 PM
ooc: A decade ago maybe.

neoseph7
2009-08-23, 09:28 PM
So then are you guys waiting for something on my part? Does anyone need a recap PMed to them?

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-23, 09:29 PM
Not really.

"So, lads," Edgard said. "Forward and onward, then."

4is111
2009-08-23, 09:49 PM
I'm waiting for the next room to load; that is all.

neoseph7
2009-08-24, 05:19 AM
I think I will lead by the nose a little, if anything to get things moving and keep interest. Please don't take it personally.
2:10PM

The trap floor is lowered slowly, revealing several alcoves at odd levels, most of which are filled with rubble. The floor drops 20 ft before hitting bottom, and the last 10ft seem different from the rest. It doesn't take long for the water trap to fill up and drain at the 10ft mark.

Someone will make the spot check, so no sense in asking for one. A peculiar sigil appears above the water surface. Knowledge arcana reveals it to be a summoning mark, and the watery trap now likely includes a friend. Aren't you glad you searched for traps?
The water is draining off somewhere, and that somewhere is 10 ft below where the party is now, and right above an infested water trap. The wall is smooth in most places, with the alcoves providing stops to jump from or catch your footing.

Climb DC 19 to make it down, or Jump DC 20. Failure by four or less makes the distance, but you land prone in the gate alcove into which the water flows. Failure by five or more (14,15) lands you in the water.

If the party wants, they can instead just head off North

4is111
2009-08-24, 10:23 AM
"I don't see anything down there worth exploring. Lets just head north from here."

neoseph7
2009-08-25, 02:24 PM
Ok... Well then... East you go. How about some combat? Everyone loves combat! Please roll for initiative against lovely Ogre (who smells a lot like an onion interestingly). I will post a battle map as soon as my bloody ftp server quits being being a royal pain in my glow-in-the-dark behind (nuke major).

Demons_eye
2009-08-25, 02:32 PM
Rolling init
[roll0]

4is111
2009-08-25, 02:38 PM
initiative:[roll0]

Trodon
2009-08-25, 03:37 PM
White filler text is epic.
[roll0]

chilepepper
2009-08-25, 04:12 PM
Godrick (http://tinyurl.com/ngw5f2)
Initiative: [roll0]

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-25, 04:59 PM
Initiative:
[roll0]

neoseph7
2009-08-26, 02:07 AM
Ogre Init: [roll0]

the battle map looks like this:

On the Ogre's turn, he will lash out at the nearest foe (to be determined after your guy's turn). Mind you, the ogre has 10' reach.

Edit: Everyone gets to go before the big slow ogre, and it likely doesn't matter in which order you go so post away. But please include your character names with your init rolls. I havent remembered everyone of the top of my head as I spend a lot of my day rotting my mind with video games and coming up with dungeon ideas (btw, if you guys like puzzles, I've prepared a few special things for this adventure that I hope to use. I've actually put a lot of thought into these ruins).

chilepepper
2009-08-26, 04:20 AM
Godrick, Round 1, first to act

Godrick takes advantage of his quick reflexes by charging ahead to distract the ogre.

Move action:
C8, D8, E8, F8, G7. The ogre is flat-footed until it takes it's first action so it doesn't get an AoO.

Anyone in E6, E7 will get a flanking bonus.

Standard action:
Ready an action to Stunning fist when the ogre acts.
By then, I should have a flanking bonus as well.

Stunning Fist (kick)
[roll0] vs flat-footed AC (includes flank bonus)
[roll1]
DC 15 Fort save or stunned until just before my next turn.

Initiative: 22 (changing because of ready action)
Stunning Fist remaining: 1/2

neoseph7
2009-08-26, 04:46 AM
Godrick, Round 1, first to act

Godrick takes advantage of his quick reflexes by charging ahead to distract the ogre.

Move action:
C8, D8, E8, F8, G7. The ogre is flat-footed until it takes it's first action so it doesn't get an AoO.

Anyone in E6, E7 will get a flanking bonus.

Standard action:
Ready an action to Stunning fist when the ogre acts.
By then, I should have a flanking bonus as well.

Stunning Fist (kick)
[roll0] vs flat-footed AC (includes flank bonus)
[roll1]

Sorry. The tree in spaces E8 and F8 require two move each to get through (They act as scree that also give cover). You've moved 40ft of a total 30ft allowed in a move action. Tell you what though. DC 17 Tumble check will let you make it through, but otherwise you are stuck in the Tree at F8. Or you can select a different action.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-26, 06:17 AM
Edgard Magnus

"Ha! I will enjoy this!"

Edgard Magnus brandished his sword, making it's large blade seen by all. The holy man made his way towards his quarry, the ogre, and positioned himself where he may join his foe in honest combat. Edgard stared at the ogre, looking up to where his eyes were, and with a yell, commenced the attack on the monster.

Move to E7 for some ol' fashioned beatdown.

Attack roll:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

Demons_eye
2009-08-26, 11:01 AM
Still wanting to save his spells jack pulls out an arrow and aims for the things throat.

He 5ft steps to C6 and attacks

[roll0] Attack +2 if he gets into flanking area
[roll1] Damage
[roll2] Sneak Attack

Knowledge to know more about it.

[roll3] K. Dungeoneering
[roll4] K. Arcana
[roll5] K. The Planes
[roll6] K. Religion

Demons_eye
2009-08-26, 11:03 AM
Confirming Critical
[roll]1d20+4[roll] Attack again +2 if in flanking area
[roll0] Damage
[roll1] Sneak Attack

Demons_eye
2009-08-26, 11:04 AM
GAH! Sorry!

[roll0] * Mumbles about a +2 if in area

Trodon
2009-08-26, 11:41 AM
Ector INI=12

Move to E6 and slice with his sword.
[roll0]
[roll1]

4is111
2009-08-26, 02:22 PM
Deven
"Jack, perhaps you know the spell "Mage Hand"? Please, be ready with it if this works."
readying an action:
condition: Ogre attacks with a weapon (presumably its club)
action: cast grease on Ogre's weapon
Initative: 8
AC: 11 Touch: 11 FF: 10
Effect: none
In hands: Staff

neoseph7
2009-08-26, 06:14 PM
The ogre starts to juggle his own weapon, attempting to keep it in his hands.

Reflex save: [roll0]
if reflex succeeds, the Ogre will attack Ector with it's greatclub

Attack: [roll1] Damage: [roll2]

if reflex fails, the Ogre will attempt to grapple with Ector.

Touch Attack (provokes AOO from Ector): [roll]1d20+7[roll]
Rerolled IRL: 14
Opposed Grapple Check: [roll3]
Damage:[roll4] Non-lethal

Jack does not get a flanking bonus when using a ranged weapon. He gets sneak attack for firing at a flat footed opponent. His target gets +4 to AC for soft cover if there is a creature in the way of Jack's Attacks (I presume there wasn't during this first round, but in the next there will be). Unless Jack has precise shot, his attacks are at -4 to hit for firing into a melee, which he was this first round. The critical hit was good, though sneak attack damage is not increased for crits.

4is111
2009-08-26, 06:38 PM
Deven
"Nevermind Jack, it looks like the fool isn't even trying."dc: 10+1+4=15 the ogre fails

chilepepper
2009-08-26, 07:03 PM
Sorry. The tree in spaces E8 and F8 require two move each to get through (They act as scree that also give cover). You've moved 40ft of a total 30ft allowed in a move action. Tell you what though. DC 17 Tumble check will let you make it through, but otherwise you are stuck in the Tree at F8. Or you can select a different action.

[roll0] - edit: that should +4 not +9, but it fails either way
If it doesn't work, I'll just make it a double move so the others still get their flanking bonus.

neoseph7
2009-08-26, 07:34 PM
Apart from the results of the grapple, it is now top of the order and we start round 2 of combat (The ogre may or may not get its Dex to AC, which doesn't really matter since the dex mod is -1). I will get a map up, again, once my ftp is working.

4is111
2009-08-26, 08:03 PM
"So, now what? I don't have much to help here. I'll leave you to your work."
wait
Initative: ogre+1
AC: 11 Touch: 11 FF: 10
Effect: none
In hands: Staff

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-26, 08:12 PM
My attack hit?

Demons_eye
2009-08-26, 08:17 PM
"Shoot it till it drops?" Jack offers as he moves to D8 and casts Acid Splash

Sorry still new to rouges SA. Does he count as flanked when I cast a spell? I wonder because with rays you get SA but how do you get them flatfooted while attacking at range?

[roll0] Touch Attack +4 if I don't have the penalty for firing into melee with spells

[roll1] Orb Damage

[roll2] Sneak Attack if need.

Demons_eye
2009-08-26, 08:19 PM
Confirming Critical

[roll0] Attack

[roll1] Orb Damage

chilepepper
2009-08-26, 09:04 PM
[COLOR="Magenta"]but how do you get them flatfooted while attacking at range?

Break LoS and hide. If your hide beats his spot, he's flatfooted to you. There are lots of other ways to get SA, but that's the most basic. More importantly, if the ogre is grappling, you will get your SA since grapplers are denied their dexterity bonus.

Godrick, round 2, first to act

Summoning a power from within, Godrick stretches out his foot to strike to ogre in a pressure point.

Stunning Foot
[roll0] including flanking bonus
[roll1]

Initiative: 22
Stunning Fist remaining: 1/2

neoseph7
2009-08-26, 09:19 PM
The Ogre is down before his next turn, though the question of whether or not he dealt damage to Ector still remains. A more useful post... later.

chilepepper
2009-08-26, 11:17 PM
The Ogre is down before his next turn, though the question of whether or not he dealt damage to Ector still remains. A more useful post... later.

Was he killed in round 1 or round 2?

Trodon
2009-08-27, 12:36 AM
AoO: [roll0]
damage if hit [roll1]

Opposed Grapple Check: [roll2]

neoseph7
2009-08-27, 01:22 AM
The Ogre dies in round two. The acid splash does the trick, though someone could have gone before Jack to get the job done. Ector takes 8 non lethal damage from the Ogre on it's turn (at the end of round one).

Somwhat shaken, the party looks over their fallen foe, give a small prayer, and then loot his body. They find a manilla envelope with land deeds, worth approximately 150GP per person. Also, they find a set of large javelins and a greasy club (also large). After some real digging, they find the giant ogre's bag of junk, which apperas to be holding 2 backpacks and the remains of two adventurers (snacks for later?). In the backpacks, everything is mostly rubish, except for 50GP per person in gems, 50ft of slik rope, a deck of cards, and a masterwork Longspear.

Just a little ways North of the Ogre are a set of stairs leading down...

4is111
2009-08-27, 10:17 AM
"Poor saps. Lets keep moving, Northward!"
The grease spell only lasts one round per level.

Demons_eye
2009-08-27, 10:19 AM
"I'll take these if no one cares, I have not played a good game in a while." Jack says picking up the cards. He moves towards the stair waiting for the others to join him. While he waits he looks at the cards trying to see the design while looking for tells on the cards so he could cheat later.

4is111
2009-08-27, 10:30 AM
No! It's a deck of many things! You head asplodes now:smallbiggrin:

Demons_eye
2009-08-27, 10:39 AM
Ohs Noesssssssssssss

neoseph7
2009-08-27, 04:03 PM
As so I have finally lured you to the dungeon I just finished. Please roll for initiative against the Minotaur Zombie (who is taking up both F4 and F5).

Standing on the space as a column grants partial cover (+2 AC). The scree takes two move to navigate, and requires balance checks to do something funny on it (as per the phb if I'm not mistaken).
As for the deck, does anyone examine the it under magical means?

Demons_eye
2009-08-27, 04:08 PM
Fun a undead. Immune to Crit's and Mind effects

[roll0]

Might as well cast detect magic on the deck while on the stairs

4is111
2009-08-27, 05:43 PM
It's a mundane deck of cards. If it were magical, something would have happened. I can't think of a subtle deck of cards.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-27, 05:47 PM
Initiative:
[roll0]

Trodon
2009-08-27, 08:55 PM
Initiative:[roll0]

chilepepper
2009-08-27, 11:24 PM
Stunning Fist: 1/2

chilepepper
2009-08-27, 11:31 PM
Godrick, Round 1, 21 init (second?)

Godrick again runs around to set up flanking for the party.

Double move to F6 to setup flanking for F3.

Initiative: 21
Stunning Fist: 2/2

neoseph7
2009-08-28, 02:12 AM
Zombie init:[roll0]
The Zombie is going to attack whoever is closest, which will likely have to be decided later.

It's attack and damage anyway for when that time arrives.
Attack: Greataxe [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

edit: Everyone gets to go before the minotaur.

neoseph7
2009-08-28, 11:30 AM
BTW, you guys don't have to go in order, and can post your actions out of turn.

Demons_eye
2009-08-28, 11:37 AM
Jack moves to B4 and knocks an arrow

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage

4is111
2009-08-28, 05:23 PM
"Wretched abomination, eat magic and suffer!"
cast magic missle attacking the darkness zombie
Initiative: 2+
AC:11 T:11 F:10
In Hand: staff

4is111
2009-08-28, 05:24 PM
:smallredface:Forgot to roll:
magic missle [d4+1]

4is111
2009-08-28, 05:26 PM
:smallredface::smalleek:Forgot the tags!
magic missle [roll0]

Trodon
2009-08-28, 06:40 PM
Ector will charge the minitour.

[roll0]
damage [roll1]
crit conformation if needed [roll]1d20+7[roll]

Trodon
2009-08-28, 06:41 PM
Messed up the roll [roll0]

Edit: Ooh crit?

neoseph7
2009-08-29, 09:48 AM
The magic missle and melee attack strike solidly, though the arrow misses. The Minotaur Zombie lashes out with its rusty greataxe at it's would be charger.

You can't charge over uneven terrain, nor can the undead be critically hit. I will once again request that everyone put a link to their character sheet in their forum signiture. I also ask that you state what weapon type (piercing, slashing, blunt) you are using for this fight, since it matters for damage reduction. I noticed a few people didn't post actions. This fight is going to suck hard if we don't have everyone fight.

The Minotaur Zombie attacks Ector with the attack and damage posted previously. That ends the first round and it is now the party's turn.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-29, 09:56 AM
Edgard raised his holy symbol, and uttered divine words. With a flash, the holy wooden symbol lit up.

Turn Undead:
[roll0]

Demons_eye
2009-08-29, 10:50 AM
Jack fires another shoot.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage

neoseph7
2009-08-29, 12:11 PM
Unfortunatly, the turn attempt does not work, and while the arrow hits it's mark, it does little more than decorate the lump of rotten flesh it now protudes from.

I've done the gestalt thing a few times in the past, but I've never seen the turn undead ability used with it. Gestalt sets the party at a higher ECL, which in turn requires higher CR encounters. Higher CR undead have a lot of hit dice. In this case, the turn attempt would have failed on a natural 20. This feels inherently unfair to me, so I am inclined to make a house variant on this ability. For those of you who have an opinion for or against this, please tell me so (via PM).

The proposed change would be thus:

The turn undead ability temporarily channels positive energy into the caster. Until the end of their next turn, their caster level is treated as their check result for any spell or ability which similarly channels or uses positive energy (Such as cure wounds spells).

This isn't written in stone though. I'd like to take a day to think about it and hear what those of you with more experience think. If it passes, then I will post so. At the least, Edgard didn't get to act in the first round, so I will count the turn attempt as his first action, and he may still go during the second round.

Edit: I've actually posted a thread in the homebrew section to discuss this.
Homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123181). You guys can also discuss it there.

chilepepper
2009-08-29, 02:20 PM
Godrick, round 2, init 21

Godrick attempts to damage the shambling beast.

edit: rolls do not include the +2 flanking, if applicable

Sting of the Wasp
[roll0]
[roll1] piercing
[roll2]
[roll3] piercing

[roll4]
[roll5] piercing
[roll6]
[roll7] piercing

[roll8]
[roll9] piercing
[roll10]
[roll11] piercing

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-29, 03:14 PM
Undaunted by the failed turn attempt, Edgard moved forward to attack. He stopped, looked at the undead monstrosity in the eye, and swung his large sword.

5-foot step to E4. Attack.

Attack roll:
[roll0]
Damage (slashing):
[roll1]

4is111
2009-08-29, 05:01 PM
"Curses, how is it that a prekilled minotaur is more durable than a live ogre? MAGIC MISSLE"
cast magic missle
magic missle damage: [roll0] force
Initiative: 2+

neoseph7
2009-08-30, 06:03 PM
The modification to the Turn Undead is unrealistic, but works fine for this one shot.

The flurry of blows sees a lot of ::dink::, since the peircing weapon is absorbed partially by the damage reduction.

I'm going to hold off on the Zombie's turn until more people post their second round of action, but he's probably going to Axe Edgard.

Trodon
2009-08-30, 07:33 PM
Ector swings at the great undead once again.

[roll0]
damage [roll1]

4is111
2009-09-01, 03:03 PM
Hello? Anybody there?

Trodon
2009-09-01, 04:07 PM
I'm still here.

Demons_eye
2009-09-01, 05:11 PM
Ooc: waiting for the third round

neoseph7
2009-09-01, 05:58 PM
Sorry. I just joined the Navy, and the paperwork takes for freaking ever. 2 days, no joke, of Hurrying up to wait. A real update when I get home from de-famishing myself.

neoseph7
2009-09-02, 06:24 PM
Sorry. Really. Been quite busy. The minotaur will swipe at Ector.

Attack: [roll0] Damage:[roll1]

chilepepper
2009-09-02, 08:57 PM
Godrick, round 3, init 21

Godrick attempts to damage the shambling beast, again.

rolls do not include the +2 flanking, if applicable

Sting of the Wasp
[roll0]
[roll1] piercing
[roll2]
[roll3] piercing

[roll4]
[roll5] piercing
[roll6]
[roll7] piercing

[roll8]
[roll9] piercing
[roll10]
[roll11] piercing

4is111
2009-09-02, 09:04 PM
"I hope this works a second time: Grease!"
cast grease on Minotaur's axe ref save dc: 15 to avoid the spell, and then another to hold onto the axe
I think zombies are still immune to crits.Initiative: 2+

Demons_eye
2009-09-02, 09:21 PM
"I hate zombies" Jack yells from his cover and fires another arrow

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage

Jack Smith
HP: 4/7
AC:14
Effects: None
In Hand: Bow

Trodon
2009-09-02, 09:34 PM
"You and me both Jack." Ector says as he swing again.

[roll0]
damage [roll1]

chilepepper
2009-09-02, 11:42 PM
I think zombies are still immune to crits.

Yep I know. I just have the things I normally do already typed out with all the BBCode so I can just cut and paste. I include the crit rolls so I don't have to double post in the event I get a crit.

neoseph7
2009-09-03, 08:45 PM
The zombie drops his Axe (failed the reflex save), and on it's turn attempts to pick the dumb thing up (He fails the reflex save again and drops it again. DC 10 Will save to not laugh at this spectacle). Everyone within melee range gets a free AOO (you guys should also all be flanking). That ends the third round.

Yes I'm a little preoccupied, but I will have a decent post this weekend for you guys.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-09-03, 09:06 PM
Edgard's AoO:

Attack roll:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

Trodon
2009-09-03, 09:21 PM
AoO: [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Demons_eye
2009-09-03, 09:24 PM
Jack fires with frustration at the giant.

Jacks round 4 Attack. I'll prolly forget to post it so doing it now.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage

chilepepper
2009-09-03, 09:28 PM
Godrick takes advantage of the Zombie's lack of focus.
AoO
[roll0] edit: forgot the +2 for flanking
[roll1]

4is111
2009-09-03, 09:32 PM
"I'm not made of these! Finish it off, quickly!"
cast magic missle at the minotaur zombie
magic missle: [roll0] force damageInitiative: 2+

chilepepper
2009-09-04, 01:15 AM
Godrick, round 4, init 21

Seeing the tides turning, Godrick presses their advantage.

edit: darnit, I forgot the +2 for flanking again, not that it matters with those rolls
Sting of the Wasp
[roll0]
[roll1] piercing

[roll2]
[roll3] piercing

[roll4]
[roll5] piercing

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-09-04, 05:56 AM
Edgard continued to press the attack!

Attack roll:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

neoseph7
2009-09-04, 06:54 PM
The blow from the mighty cleric cleaves the Zombie to the core, leaving a mildly repellent black puddle of goo, along with the no longer unaturally animated remains of a minotaur.

The party finds 300GP per person, mostly from a secret panel in the wall holding a large supply of salt.

This would be a good place for the party to rest and recover from the day's adventure. It also gives me time to make a smaller map to show the dungeun layout as you explore it.

chilepepper
2009-09-05, 07:16 AM
((if we're resting, any chance that wandering merchant might just happen to stroll through?))

neoseph7
2009-09-05, 12:54 PM
((if we're resting, any chance that wandering merchant might just happen to stroll through?))

Sure. She's there, in the first room with a load of stuff in her back pack.

4is111
2009-09-05, 01:36 PM
Deven pitches his tent, and rests for the night.

chilepepper
2009-09-05, 02:00 PM
Godrick runs back to the elf merchant and hands over a a 60# bag of salt, a few coins, and one of his sianghams. He returns with shiny new siangham.

neoseph7
2009-09-06, 05:51 PM
The party is able to trade with the merchant, heal all wounds (we still have a cleric, right?) and recover all spells.

Before a full post (some time later today, I promise) I thought it fitting to explain really quick the room and beyond.

There are two doors. One is looked beyond the theives ability to pick locks (stone door to the east) and a simple wooden door to the South, which is mildly jammed and needs to be kicked in. The hallway which the wooden door leads to is rather clean for a ruined crypt, void of rubish. It is trapped though (I assume taking 20 on the search check).

I would like to know the party's general plan, who kicks down the door, what orde they go in, etc. My next post will include the trap details, and a disable device check would be good.

4is111
2009-09-06, 06:59 PM
I detect magic before resting.
Spells Today:
Disrupt Undead
Mage Hand
Mending
Grease
Jump

Demons_eye
2009-09-06, 07:01 PM
Jacks spells for the day
Acid Splash
Ray of Frost
Detect Magic
Magic Missile

4is111
2009-09-06, 07:28 PM
Don't was a spell on mage hand. I've got five sorcerer spell slots that can cast detect magic and other utility spells. Use your level one spell for things that are useful in combat.
edit- just realized detect magic is level 0. Carry on.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-09-06, 08:00 PM
"How many of you lot require healing? Raise your hand."

neoseph7
2009-09-06, 10:44 PM
The room is 25 feet by 25 feet, with stone walls arrayed in a normal mason pattern with 10 stone layers cut 1 foot high. The first 5 layers up show a rough exterior with no decoration. The sixth layer is significantly darker than the rest, likely due to minute obsidian deposites within the granite. The last four stone layers up are composed of coral limestone, giving the odd impression of an organic ceiling. The three stone pillars are composed in the same manner. The stone stair well leading to the surface is composed of the dark stone making up the sixth layer of the wall.

A fine layer of rubble covers much of the floor. Sweeping it away reveals a message inscribed in the tiles. Even though some of the tiles are missing, the worsding seems to suggest this dungeon was fabricated by beings of power to test mortals. The stones explaining exactly who and why are too cracked and faded to be of any use.

On the eastern side of the room is a large stone door about 4 feet wide and 7feet tall. It holds an oddly shaped key hole along with runes that no one in the party seems to understand. To the south is a wooden door that has seen better days and has since warped about it's frame, causing it to be jammed and stuck. It too bears a keyhole, but is unlocked, and even if not, is too weak to survive the thwack of a real adventurer.

The detection of magic reveals an aura of necromancy on the zombie, an aura of abjuration on the stone door to the east, and a mild zone of conjuration all around (suggesting magic was used for the masonry)

The door to the south reveals a long corridor about 30 feet long and 7 feet high. The hall is clean, save for the skull of the last victim to fall pray to the swinging blade trap. The trap is easy enough to find, but disabling it is another matter.

The masonry in the hall is different from that of the previous room. Every 6 feet is a vaulted arch about 1 foot in width, under which the height is half a foot less than the rest of the hall. The keystone for each arch is a variety of shale imbued with tiny amethysts that glow in the torchlight a somber twinkle of lavender and violet. The rest of the arch is composed of obsidian infused granite, while the rest of the hallway is normal stone. The top two feet of the wall is covered in marble tiles, layed flat to the rest of the hall. Many of the marble tiles hold the arcane inscription of mages that have traversed the dungeon, a sort of adventuring grafitti. 8 such tiles are marked, and there are plenty unmarked. One of the tiles warns of a sphere of annihilation in the statue's mouth... whatever that means...

Demons_eye
2009-09-07, 02:20 PM
"Wow" Jack says unable to express his awe for the room.

Trodon
2009-09-07, 02:34 PM
"I could use some healing."

4is111
2009-09-07, 02:47 PM
I use read magic on the runes around the key holes.

neoseph7
2009-09-07, 06:58 PM
The writing on the door is a riddle. It refers to a green key to open the path to earth. There is also a reference to the door and the hall beyond it being made of wood (the stone door may have been carved to show a wood grain).

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-09-07, 07:48 PM
Let's just say I healed him before resting:

Cure Light Wounds:
[roll0]

neoseph7
2009-09-07, 08:43 PM
Let's just say I healed him before resting:

Cure Light Wounds:
[roll0]

Naturally. I only post details for the next day to move things along. I understand that everyone can't post before I do so, and it is perfectly acceptable to post certain things out of chronological order.

4is111
2009-09-07, 09:26 PM
"Hmm, if it had been transmuted, I would have seen it..." murmers Deven. Can you tell me the riddle itself, or do you not have one?

neoseph7
2009-09-07, 10:26 PM
I'm not particularly good at making riddles. But I will give a nice reward to whomever can come up with the best riddle amongst you guys. If this does not suffice, it will take me a while to come up with something.

chilepepper
2009-09-08, 05:21 AM
The hand that opens this way,
Is the hand of that which I model.
But that which I'm set to protect,
would be scratched by those who don't coddle.

4is111
2009-09-08, 05:58 PM
chip- grammatically, I one can't say "that which" because they are both preposisions. It would be like saying "a the." As for you're riddle, all I can think of off hand is one of those scroll cases with the tube of vinegar inside so if it is broken open, the scroll is destroyed.
riddle- A man walks into a bar and orders a glass of water.
The bartender pulls a loaded crossbow out from under the bar, and points it at him.
The man thanks the bartender, and walks out.
Why?

chilepepper
2009-09-08, 08:06 PM
chip- grammatically, I one can't say "that which" because they are both preposisions.

First of all, in lyrical writing grammar often takes a back seat to form. Secondly, the riddle isn't written in English, it's written in runes. Grammar doesn't matter at all when trying to preserve the rhythm, meter, and scansion through a translation.

Finally, if you're going to nitpick someone's grammar, whether you are right or wrong, you should at least take the time to practice what you preach. You're post has a slew of grammar and spelling errors.

neoseph7
2009-09-09, 02:44 PM
Grammer and spelling aside, There is a trap in the center of the hallway awaiting a disable device check, though if someone wants to do something a little more creative to diffuse the trap, by all means. (I would rather if you didn't simply send a meat shield to take the hit, but summoned critters work).

Demons_eye
2009-09-09, 03:00 PM
"Let me take a look." Jack says as me moves around the trap looking for a way to stop it. After a while he says "Thats all I can do."

DD
[roll0]

neoseph7
2009-09-09, 03:08 PM
The trap was disarmed successfully. Doing so revealed a trigger under an apperently loose tile on the wall. The trap can be retriggered at the party's whim (though someone has to physically manipulate the trigger to do so).

The door at the end of the hall way is the same as the wooden door the party went through to get into the hall (it is also stuck). I will describe the next room when I get the chance (later tonight) and I request now initiative rolls please.

Demons_eye
2009-09-09, 03:24 PM
Init
[roll0]

4is111
2009-09-09, 04:15 PM
chip- I don't mean to be hostle or anything like that, and I never claim to be perfect, or even overall beter than you. I was just saying that double preposisions grind on me, and that I wasn't sure if you knew you were taking artistic licence with it.

neoseph7
2009-09-09, 08:50 PM
Since chilepepper took a crack at the riddle, 4 potions of CLW for him.

The room is 40 ft by 40 ft, littered with broken shelving and books, and swarming with kobold archers. Their initiative is 11, and I hope I haven't lost too many people...

4is111
2009-09-09, 09:19 PM
initiative: [roll0]

Trodon
2009-09-09, 09:49 PM
Still here. INI: [roll0]

chilepepper
2009-09-10, 02:24 AM
@4is111: I'm cool.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-09-10, 05:37 AM
Initiative:
[roll0]

neoseph7
2009-09-11, 10:21 PM
As soon as I can get the plaza site I use working, I will have a map. Until then, there are 8 kobold archers, 3 which are within 15ft of the party, and all are behind cover of some sort.

Edit: It would help if I weren't downloading anime. :sigh: I feel like a moron.

BTW: a kobold archer is a kobold warrior with a shortbow. The spaces the kobolds currently occupy are toppled book shelves, which provide cover (+4 to AC +2 to reflex saves). They are made of wood, and are flamable. In this room, the scree is also flamable (mostly boks and scrolls). You have to be on the square with the bookcase to get the cover, and it is omnidirectional cover. The Kobolds are going to shoot at random of those in the room for their first round. On the second round though, a leader is going to direct all the fire at one target (we'll say someone in the group knows about kobold tactics). If someone beats a spot check of 20, I will tell them who the leader is. Have fun!

Edit: There should be an 'H' next to the 'G'. My bad.

neoseph7
2009-09-13, 06:34 PM
Sorry. I edited the last post with the battle information and map. But that doesn't show in the subscriptions. So, sorry about the double post.

chilepepper
2009-09-13, 06:54 PM
Godrick, Round 1, Init 8

Godrick runs to engage the out of reach assailants.

Move to A8, sheath my weapons.

I assume since they are archers that they are armed with a bow or xbow. In either case, they don't get AoO since they don't threaten the squares around them. If they do (Improved Unarmed feat for example), I still don't provoke from C6-Kobold since I have cover from the bookcase.

Initiative: 8

Demons_eye
2009-09-13, 07:17 PM
"Sod it" Jack says and moves to A4 and cast magic missile at the goblin in C6

magic missile

[roll0]

neoseph7
2009-09-14, 08:37 PM
The kobolds let loose a flurry of arrows at the party.

Near as I can tell, there are four of you in the room to shoot at.
Ector:1
Edgard:2
Godrick:3
Jack:4

1d4 to determine target

The kobolds are numbered from 1 to 8, starting at the top and moving down left to right.

Kobold 1 Taget: [roll0] Attack:[roll1] Damage: [roll2]
Kobold 2 Taget: [roll3] Attack:[roll4] Damage: [roll5]
Kobold 3 Taget: [roll6] Attack:[roll7] Damage: [roll8]
Kobold 4 Taget: [roll9] Attack:[roll10] Damage: [roll11]
Kobold 5 Taget: [roll12] Attack:[roll13] Damage: [roll14]
Kobold 6 Taget: [roll15] Attack:[roll16] Damage: [roll17]
Kobold 7 Taget: [roll18] Attack:[roll19] Damage: [roll20]
Kobold 8 Taget: [roll21] Attack:[roll22] Damage: [roll23]

Edit: #2 is dead from the magic missles. The critical hit was successful and the added damage is 1.

4is111
2009-09-14, 09:06 PM
Thank the goddess for meat shields.
When its my turn, I move as forward as necessary, and fires a magic missile at the closest archer. "Taste arcane power, blighter!"damage:[roll0]Initiative: 19

Trodon
2009-09-14, 09:12 PM
As the arrow bounces of his scalemail armor Ector laughs. "Hahaha, is that all you got?" after saying that Ector attacks the goblin in E5 with the Longsword.

[roll0]
damage [roll1]

Edit: I feel stupid +1 on the attack and -1 on damage.

chilepepper
2009-09-15, 03:19 AM
Godrick, Round 2, Init 8

Godrick hoists himself up to the elevated platform and moves in for a kill.

Move to A9, climb to B9. Bracing against the opposite wall, I can't fail the check. Draw my weapons as part of that move and attack C9.

Sting of the Bee
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-09-15, 05:27 AM
Edgard let out a loud roar, dodging and parrying the bolts came at his way. The holy man moved forward, intent on smashing the kobolds. With a fierce yell, he swung at the bastard when he was in position.

Move to F5 and attack E5.

Attack roll:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

neoseph7
2009-09-15, 10:05 PM
four kobolds remain after the first round. Their leader (apperently in D8) targets the entire volley at the mage who creeps in from the shadows.

4 attacks against Devin:

Attack1: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Attack2: [roll2] Damage: [roll3]
Attack3: [roll4] Damage: [roll5]
Attack4: [roll6] Damage: [roll7]

chilepepper
2009-09-16, 02:06 AM
Godrick, Round 3, Init 8

Godrick continues to press his attack.

Not clear whether C9 is one of the ones still alive.

If C9 is alive:

Sting of the Wasp
[roll0]
[roll1] piercing
[roll2]
[roll3] piercing

[roll4]
[roll5] piercing
[roll6]
[roll7] piercing

[roll8] offhand
[roll9] piercing
[roll10]
[roll11] piercing

If C9 is dead, move to attack the next one and:

Sting of the Bee
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

4is111
2009-09-16, 05:30 PM
"Ahhh!" The volley of arrows wizzes pass Deven. That didn't hurt nearly as much as I thought it would. Ough! There it is. "You shouldn't have crossed me, blighters. MAGIC MISSILE!"
cast magic missile at the leader if he's still alive, otherwise at any kobold [roll0]Initiative: 19
HP: 3/5

neoseph7
2009-09-16, 11:09 PM
Edgard, Ector, and Jack have yet to post actions for the second round. Deven is up to date for the second round and still has a move for the 3rd round. Godrick has moved in the third round (his target on C9 is dead). I have assumed Godrick would move to F8 to threaten the two remaining Kobolds. This action is after the kobold's, however.

The map has been updated to the beginning of the third round based on your actions thus far.

chilepepper
2009-09-17, 12:18 AM
Godrick has moved in the third round (his target on C9 is dead). I have assumed Godrick would move to F8 to threaten the two remaining Kobolds. This action is after the kobold's, however.

Sorry, I thought everyone had done their second round. Yes, Godrick would move so that he could attack both Kobolds, but would focus on the one on his level first.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-09-17, 12:43 AM
Seeing his foe slain, Edgard moved on towards the next victim.

Move to H7, attack G7.

Attack roll:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

Demons_eye
2009-09-17, 05:59 AM
Jack moves to E7 and fires at the kobold on G7.

[roll0]Attack
[roll1]Damage

4is111
2009-09-17, 03:17 PM
Rather than risk further injury, Deven retreats back to D1, and around the corner of the previous room.
Initiative: 19
HP: 3/5

Trodon
2009-09-17, 06:58 PM
Ector will move to E8 and attack F9.

[rol]1d20+5[/roll]
damage
crit conformation if needed [rol]1d20+5

Trodon
2009-09-17, 06:59 PM
Messed up the attack roll sorry. [roll0]

neoseph7
2009-09-17, 09:27 PM
Ector kills his quarry, leaving one kobold remaining. On his turn, he lays an egg on the spot and then runs (withdraws) faster than his shadow can keep up (a la loony tunes).

4is111
2009-09-18, 03:54 PM
Ector kills his quarry, leaving one kobold remaining. On his turn, he lays an egg on the spot and then runs (withdraws) faster than his shadow can keep up (a la loony tunes).

"He' lays an egg?

neoseph7
2009-09-20, 04:41 PM
He lays an egg.

Yes. He lays an egg. I am well aware of how silly that sounds. The egg holds 150GP per character in disposable shampoo bottles.

Each of the kobolds is wearing scale armor intended for a small creature, a short bow, and several arrows. The leader appears to have a special quiver of unique arrows, and a wand wrapped in cloth.

Searching the room there are two exits, one to the east and one under the rubble leading down, along with the path to the north the party came from. The path leading down is blocked by an iron gate that appears to have neither a keyhole nor other mechanism to open. The wooden door to the east is mundanely locked.

4is111
2009-09-20, 05:16 PM
Detect Magic on the wand. I motion that we move east from here.

neoseph7
2009-09-20, 05:18 PM
The wand displays a conjuration aura. East could use an open lock and a search check.

Demons_eye
2009-09-20, 05:21 PM
If we head for easy door.

[roll0] Search
[roll1] Open lock

4is111
2009-09-20, 05:23 PM
"I'll hold onto the wand for now, tommarrow I'll be able to identify it."

neoseph7
2009-09-20, 06:28 PM
The door flows open with a small 'click' from the rogue's tools. The party then steps back as the trap he found swings from the ceiling to the door way. The trap was a steel reenforced wooden log suspended from rope. The entire hallway is littered with similar ceiling set traps.

Speaking of the hallway, it's 10ft wide and at least 60ft long. The floor is composed of inch thick marble tiles that fit within each other and the wall like a jigsaw puzzle. The puzzle is broken in several places, however, and reveals a sunken pit 20ft deep filled with spikes. A peculiar smell, unidentifiable before, is now clearly the oily poison coating the rusted spike heads. The walls and floor under the tiles are made up of unfinished stone. The rock bears small veins of various minerals, mostly tin and aluminum oxide. In a few places are quarzt crystals infused with said minerals, giving a dull red or lime-yellow that, when mixed with the blue light from phosphorescent fungi growing on the bodies of those that fell to their demise, yeilds a pleasant lavender color.

The marble tiles are made up of smooth white marble, each piece cut from a single slab and each about 3 ft square. Embedded in each tile are several metal plates a few inches in width and seperated by at least a foot. The metal is very pure cold iron, and it's purpose in these tiles is unknown.

The walls and ceiling above the tiles are also made up of marble puzzle pieces, but in stark contrast to the floor are permanently attached to the wall and black. Between the black wall pieces is pure silver, etched in a way to make it look flowing as you walk by it. It is the darkness in the walls and ceiling which hide the trap logs and falling blades that run the length of the room.

While making your way through the 12 squares that make up the room there are several things that can happen to you on each step (for each step an 1d4 is rolled).

1) Nothing
2) Trap 1 (Log)
Reflex 12 avoids. If hit: 1d6 blunt damage and be knocked prone one space back. Reroll for the new space.
3) Trap 2 (Blade)
Reflex 14 avoids. If hit: 1d6 slashing damage and be knocked prone on the same space.
4) Loose floor tile
Balance DC 10 to not fall with the tile. If you fall, 2d6 falling damage+poison. The balance DC is 15 if you are prone. Poison: Fort DC12. initial damage: 1d3dex. secondary damage: 1d3 wis damage.

Note: The traps don't hit you if you are prone. Further, the situation counts as threatening, so taking tens is a no-no.

Climbing out of the spiked pit trap has a DC of 15, except at the entrance to the hallway, where footholds make the DC 10.

I may have forgotten something, so please ask away. This hallway isn't intended for anyone to make it accross btw, so please don't everyone try. I highly encourage a strategy that is not simply roll a million times and try not to die. We already have combat for that.

4is111
2009-09-20, 06:54 PM
"Jake, this is your bag of oats; do you think those traps would all be triggered by pressure plates and trip wires?"

Demons_eye
2009-09-20, 07:05 PM
"I have no Idea" Jack says as he trys to disable one.

[roll0] Disable Device

[roll1] Rolled if needed
[roll2] Reflex

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-09-20, 10:24 PM
Edgard watched as the situation was clearly beyond his expertise. He resolved to do what he does best. He turned to his group, and said: "Anyone hurt? Need healing?"

chilepepper
2009-09-21, 04:00 AM
Godrick ponders for a moment. "Perhaps I could throw my grappling hook out and latch on to an adjacent tile to one of those openings. We could then advance as a snake, scooting along the rope triggering traps as a baboon drunk on late fall's gourds would. If a tile falls out and one of our group falls below the floor, he would be safely dangling from the rope as a monkey hangs from a tree to tease the young tiger. Like a set of bear cubs trying to get to a beehive, we would help those who are not adept at climbing to get back up to the floor level."

4is111
2009-09-21, 01:39 PM
"Just a few scratches. Nothing major. Godrick if you're going to do anything that risky, why not just wait until tommarrow, and I'll be able to summon a disk of pure energy to carry you across?"

neoseph7
2009-09-22, 08:22 PM
Jack is able to disable a device, and the first five feet of the path are safe (auto nothing on the danger roll).

I wanted to see if their were any other ideas, and I like Godrick's. I'm not against the party resting for new spells to tackle this obstacle, but before you do can I know the full plan?

Demons_eye
2009-09-22, 08:34 PM
"We could as it might save some time. I really can not help with that kinda of magic as most of mine is for attacking or defending. " Jack says spinning his tools in his hand clearly bord. He walks over to another trap and looks at it.
He lets the others talk and listens to the conversation but he and his cat tinker with a new trap.

[roll0] Disable device

[roll1] Roll if needed

[roll2] reflex/Balance

I forgot if my cat could help on DD if so here is his check of DC 10

[roll3] Disable device

neoseph7
2009-09-22, 08:57 PM
"We could as it might save some time. I really can not help with that kinda of magic as most of mine is for attacking or defending. " Jack says spinning his tools in his hand clearly bord. He walks over to another trap and looks at it.
He lets the others talk and listens to the conversation but he and his cat tinker with a new trap.

[roll0] Disable device

[roll1] Roll if needed

[roll2] reflex/Balance

I forgot if my cat could help on DD if so here is his check of DC 10

[roll3] Disable device

The cat cannot assist on Disable Device, but can on search. The disable Device check fails. As does the reflex save. Jack takes 1d6 slashing damage.

neoseph7
2009-09-22, 08:58 PM
Rerolling because I am full of fail this evening.[roll0]

Edit: Grumble Grumble... Rolled live. 4 damage.

Demons_eye
2009-09-22, 09:05 PM
"Ya I think the other way would be safer" jack says picking himself up.

neoseph7
2009-09-24, 10:14 PM
So the party rests and prepares which spells to combat the evil hall of doom?

neoseph7
2009-09-27, 11:19 AM
Bueller? Was I supposed to post something?

4is111
2009-09-28, 08:21 AM
Spells Today:
Grease
Identify
Floating Disk

Detect Poison
Mending

Cast Identify on the wand.
"Jack, I'll summon a floating disk that should allow you to bypass most of the traps. Once you're across safely, I'll bring the disk back to carry the rest of us. Are you game?"