PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Gifts

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-08-14, 04:20 PM
You know the tradition of handing out cigars after a birth? Anyone know of a good idea as a substitute for the cigars?

And rather than just having a whole thread for this one question, feel free to mention other "Alternative Gift" ideas. Never know when it might help somebody. What about these:

Alternative for diamond engagement ring...
Alternative for bringing a bottle of wine to a dinner party...
Alternative to boring household items on a wedding registry...
Alternative to sex-related items for a bachelor's party (I was thinking nerf guns, for that last good nerf war before settling down to married life...)

CDR_Doom
2009-08-14, 04:31 PM
You know the tradition of handing out cigars after a birth? Anyone know of a good idea as a substitute for the cigars?

Bring hot dogs. Every bit as phallic, but delicious.:smalltongue:

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-08-14, 06:56 PM
Alternative for diamond engagement ring...
A ringpop. (http://engagement101mag.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/ring-pop1.jpg)

Alternative for bringing a bottle of wine to a dinner party...
A pie.

Alternative to boring household items on a wedding registry...
Get. Them. A. Wii. There is no couple in the entire world that would not love and cherish a Wii, and there are millions of 2-player games out there. Plus, for Christmas/Birthdays you can buy them games for it, knowing they have one!

Alternative to sex-related items for a bachelor's party (I was thinking nerf guns, for that last good nerf war before settling down to married life...)
Nerf guns? I like the way you think.

Barmacral
2009-08-14, 06:59 PM
When I was born my dad gave out Whiskey samplers. He saved two for me, I had one when I came of legal age, and I'm saving the other to be poured over my corpse when I'm dead.

Cyrano
2009-08-14, 07:11 PM
Those Popeye candy sticks.

Or maybe Pixie Stix. Or however you spell the accursed things.

Ooh! Ooh! Almost as addictive as cigars, twice as delicious - cotton candy!

Starscream
2009-08-14, 07:28 PM
When my cousin was born they handed out "cigars" made out of bubble gum. I'm pretty sure these are made especially for this purpose because they come in blue and pink, depending on the gender of the child. I thought it was great because I was a little kid and I didn't have to miss out.

Lupy
2009-08-14, 11:26 PM
When I was born my dad gave out Whiskey samplers. He saved two for me, I had one when I came of legal age, and I'm saving the other to be poured over my corpse when I'm dead.

That is very awesome.

Alteran
2009-08-15, 01:58 AM
Money? For any occasion, how about money? I always ask for money as a gift. When it's gift-giving time (birthday, Christmas, etc.) I never have enough items I would want as gifts. Sometimes there are none. I find it really irritating how it's considered impolite by many to give money as a gift, especially when gift cards are okie-kosher. It's just money on a card, except it's worse because you can't use it everywhere. How the hell does that seem like a good idea? :smallyuk:

If you can't think of a "thoughtful" gift to give somebody, go with money. Everybody can use it. I'd much rather have an "inconsiderate" friend who gets me money as a gift than a "thoughtful" one who buys me things I don't actually want.

So yeah. That's my recommendation, although for some occasions (such as the birth of a baby) I get the idea that the gifts are more about symbolism and tradition. It's unlikely that anybody would complain if you handed out ten-dollar bills, but I get the feeling that it sort of misses the point in that situation. If the point is just to get somebody something that they want, well, you know what I'll say.