PDA

View Full Version : room mate thinks i'm his dog sitter

hawkboy772042
2009-08-14, 05:19 PM
I got a new room mate and he works many hours so he asks me to do him the favor of taking his dog out to potty when he is not there. There have been instances where the dog has gone potty inside the house and when I ask my room mate to clean up the mess since it's his dog, he starts to blame me for not taking it outside. Whether or not I did (there have been a few cases that I haven't), I just don't feel that he should think that he's entitled to me doing him these favors everyday when it's not my dog.

When I've confronted him about it, he just makes it sounds like it's a very small favor and since he doesn't have time to do those things, but I do since I'm unemployed at the moment, I have to do it. I will be starting work next week and won't be able to conduct those favors anymore, but my worry is having to come home everyday and worrying about **** being all over the place (literally). Any ideas on how to deal with this type of problem?

Pyrian
2009-08-14, 05:23 PM
(1) Don't agree to take the dog out if you're not going to.

or

(2) Take the poor pooch out.

or

(3) Charge him for the service. :smallamused:

Deathslayer7
2009-08-14, 05:38 PM
tell him you cant watch his dog as you will be working soon. And tell him that if he can't take care of his dog, i.e. taking it to the bathroom, food/water, etc., then he shouldn't own a dog. And if it does go in the house/aparment, then it is his responsibility to clean it up.

All in a nice way of course. And if he does refuse, have the dog mysteriously dissapear. :smallamused:

Another option if he does refuse, would be to check if dogs are even allowed where you live, and talk to the landlord (if you have one).

Or chain the dog outside with food and water nearby in the shade, although this might be a problem for others.

You could also keep the door to your room locked so the dog cant get in.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-15, 12:37 AM
Remind him that it is his dog and that you're going to be working starting next week, so that he better just find a solution or...

Vmag
2009-08-15, 12:44 AM
So, are you roommates, or are you random strangers that happen to occupy the same abode?

I realize that the modern school of thought values personal freedom above all else, and that we hate to do things that we don't want to, but you've said yourself that this guy is out of the house working for most hours that the dog needs to poop.

As him roommate, aren't you somewhat obligated to cover his back? If he was malingering and spending his time chasing tail and Then asking you to take care of his dog, that'd be one thing. From what I'm hearing, he's bringing home the bacon and asking you to pitch in.

I didn't even see the part where you said that you've been currently unemployed. So you haven't even had a reason to moan about it. Responsibility moar.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-15, 12:48 AM
I will be starting work next week and won't be able to conduct those favors anymore, but my worry is having to come home everyday and worrying about **** being all over the place (literally). Any ideas on how to deal with this type of problem?
I think you missed this latest part of his post.

Tharivol123
2009-08-15, 12:56 AM
What DD and Deathslayer said. Another possible suggestion would be to see if a neighbor is willing to watch the dog while you are both at work. Alternatively, if it is a smaller dog, I have seen instances where they've been litter trained. Please note, this only works for the really small dog breeds (pomeranian size or so). Anything else just makes too big of a mess.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-15, 01:03 AM
Or you could get a reaaaaaaaaallly reaaaaaaaaalllly big toilet?:smalltongue:

Vmag
2009-08-15, 01:19 AM
I think you missed this latest part of his post.

How does that justify his malingering today, or for the past several days? In the future, when he has his own responsibilities, sure, it's understandable that they'll, I don't know, need to communicate this as roommates instead of painting his buddy so cruelly behind his back on an internet forum?

For the time being, and for the entire history of the issue, we are informed that he is 1) unemployed and 2) complaining about being asked to do one favor for his roommate while he is out actually working (see 1).

My advice? Communication, man. Talk to him about it, not us. I have no sympathy for the malingering.

Cyrano
2009-08-15, 01:42 AM
My advice? Communication, man. Talk to him about it, not us. I have no sympathy for the malingering.

Even if what they're not doing is someone else's responsibility?

Vmag
2009-08-15, 01:50 AM
We're hearing a very one-sided story here, and even then there are holes all over his testimony.

We have established that one roommate, the one with the dog, works all hours, and the other has been unemployed throughout the issue, and will be employed some time in the near future.

What responsibilities does the unemployed roommate have throughout the day? A job in the near future is a given, so I do not believe that he is spending those hours job hunting.

This leaves him with a whole lot of free time, something we all enjoy, true, but we all either work, study, or both. For the unemployed, this is more than enough time to get up and walk the dog for a little.

Ergo, what we have here is one friend without daily responsibilities that is filing suit over having to get up once in a while to take care of the pet of his roommate who, as it stands, is currently the only one bringing in an income!

http://forums.court-records.net/images/smilies/takethat.gif

Tiger Duck
2009-08-15, 01:53 AM
Well I would walk that dog no mater how much free time I have. But then I also would never be roommates with a dog owner so take from this what you will.

Leon
2009-08-15, 02:03 AM
If your going to be out then the owner will have to take care of his dog, maybe he'll have to organize shelter for it outside while your both out so it doesn't make a mess inside.

Being Unemployed doesn't necessarily mean that all you do is sit around with nothing better to do so its not a big ask to say no sometimes.

Vmag
2009-08-15, 02:06 AM
Nothing better to do than to ask a horde of strangers how to deal with the very person he lives with.

Several zany and outlandish scemes, but not once did someone even suggest to talk it out with the guy :smallconfused:

daggaz
2009-08-15, 02:42 AM
dude, you are unemployed and you cant find the time to let a poor dog outside to take a crap??? {Scrubbed} If I was your roommate, I would be pissed.

That said, if you guys are living that tight and stressing out on eachother, then your roomy should know that the dog is crossing the line. He needs to be responsible for his own things. He really needs to take care of his own things himself. And if its crapping in the apartment? Thats really, really, not ok.

Even still, I wonder whether or not he informed you of the situation beforehand. :smallconfused:

Serpentine
2009-08-15, 05:09 AM
(1) Don't agree to take the dog out if you're not going to.

or

(2) Take the poor pooch out.

or

(3) Charge him for the service. :smallamused:I agree with this. You agreed to take the dog out. If you didn't do what you said you would, and it craps in the house, it's your own damn fault. If it's not working out, you looking after the dog, then he needs to come up with a better solution - seems he's gonna have to anyway, when you start work. If you had told him earlier that, for some reason, you are unable to heed an innocent animal's natural functions, then presumably he could already have made other arrangements.
Don't make the dog suffer for the laziness of (both) humans.

Vmag
2009-08-15, 10:18 AM
There's one thing that always bugged me about this topic.

The plaintiff states that this is his New roommate. However, if he doesn't work, and the defendant does, it just needs a bit more clearing up to me.

Is the dog-owner bacon-bringer really his new roommate? or is he the dog-owner's new roommate?

If the original poster was indeed the original occupant of the apartment and the defendant, bacon-bringer or no, imposed a duty upon him, that gives something for him to fight with. However, it would have been tough paying for a place without an income. Ergo, if the dog-owner was the original occupant, than I can totally understand expecting his new jobless roommate to at least pick up a little and help out while he's at work.

It's not a game-breaking detail, but it would help to shed a bit more light on the situation.

hawkboy772042
2009-08-15, 10:48 AM
There's one thing that always bugged me about this topic.

The plaintiff states that this is his New roommate. However, if he doesn't work, and the defendant does, it just needs a bit more clearing up to me.

Is the dog-owner bacon-bringer really his new roommate? or is he the dog-owner's new roommate?

If the original poster was indeed the original occupant of the apartment and the defendant, bacon-bringer or no, imposed a duty upon him, that gives something for him to fight with. However, it would have been tough paying for a place without an income. Ergo, if the dog-owner was the original occupant, than I can totally understand expecting his new jobless roommate to at least pick up a little and help out while he's at work.

It's not a game-breaking detail, but it would help to shed a bit more light on the situation.

To clarify things, I do have a source of income outside of work, which covers all of my basic expenses. We both moved in at around the same time, with him bringing his dog at a later time after I moved in.

Also, something worth mentioning is that I live in Israel and I don't speak Hebrew very well nor does my room mate speak English very well. (He still speaks English better than I speak Hebrew) As a footnote, I'm going to be working and going to school to learn Hebrew just to give you an idea of how busy I'm about to become.

But more importantly, I think the issue was solved in the first two responses so I don't think defending myself even matters.

Ichneumon
2009-08-15, 10:51 AM
If he blames you for not taking the dog out, when he didn't ask to do it, it is unreasonable as the dog is first and foremost HIS responsibility. However, the dog is also a member of the household and it is not unreasonable of him to ask you to do some things for him, because you have the time and it is a small favor, unless you really dislike dogs, which makes me wonder how you come to live with a dog owner in the first place. Tell him you start working next week and that HE needs to find a solution for the dog, but it's unreasonable of you to say you will never have time to walk the dog. It's not that much to ask to do it once or twice a week if that would solve the problem.

Thrawn183
2009-08-15, 10:55 AM
Lock the dog in his room. If it craps in his room, it's not all over the apartment.

Ichneumon
2009-08-15, 11:05 AM
Lock the dog in his room. If it craps in his room, it's not all over the apartment.

I agree with this, partly, depending on the size of his room and whether or not his food is in the room (you could always move it). You could at least lock your own room to make sure your own "place" is save.

EDIT: Locking the dog in his room, or doing anything else with it, like e.g. locking it outside, without first telling the room might be a very bad idea. Although he can't blame you for locking your own room, of course.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-15, 11:21 AM
I have nothing more to add, this advice sounds good, and am just chiming in to tell you that I was on the forum main page when I say this and the last word was chopped off the thread title.

MethosH
2009-08-16, 02:25 AM
Follow this easy steps:

1) Buy a very cheap wallet.
2) Show your friend.
3) Buy a shovel and a weapon.
4) Don't show to your friend.
5) Take the dog for a walk in a place very far away.
6) Shoot the dog.
7) Dig a hole.
8) In the hole: Dog, weapon, wallet.
9) Get rid of the shovel some how.
10) Punch yourself in the face.
11) Go to the police, file a robery report.
12) Go back home.
13) Wait for your room mate (look sad).
14) Tell him that you went for a walk with the dog... But some guy punched you in the face and took your wallet. In the middle of the confusion the dog tried to help you, but the thief shoot up and the dog ran away in fear. So you don't know where the dog is.
15) ????
16) Profit.

(Note: Law forces me to tell you that this is a joke :smalltongue:)

Lord Herman
2009-08-16, 02:34 AM
Every time I see this thread, I keep thinking someone sat on your roommate's dog and he suspects it was you.

No, I don't actually have any useful advice to offer. I'm just here to misinterpret thread titles. :smalltongue:

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-16, 03:27 PM
No, I don't actually have any useful advice to offer. I'm just here to misinterpret thread titles. :smalltongue:I allready did this schtick!

Yarram
2009-08-16, 10:52 PM
{Scrubbed}

Berserk Monk
2009-08-16, 10:53 PM
Do the immature thing and start putting the doing poo in his bed. That'll make him take his dog for walks.

Coidzor
2009-08-16, 11:02 PM
<_< Charge him through the nose.

Submit a formal, itemized bill for anything you have done so far and quotable estimate for how much future service from you will cost him.