PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler Advanced Learning

TheStillWind
2009-08-14, 07:10 PM
What spells are your favorite spells to select for the Beguiler's advanced learning at each level you get it 3 7 11 15 19. Obviously the shadow conjuration and evocation chains are almost mandatory, but what other spells are interesting. At 3rd level I like power word pain because it adds some potential to deal lethal damage that other spells can't cover.

Also what are good domains to choose for Arcane Disciple.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-08-14, 07:22 PM
First of all, you should dip one level of Mindbender or any other prestige class that grants +1 level of spellcasting at the first level. That way your spellcasting ability when you gain Advanced Learning will instead be at 3rd, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th. Furthermore, take the feat Versatile Spellcaster in Races of the Dragon asap, you'll be able to spend two spell slots of the same level to cast a spell one level higher. Both as-written and as-intended (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ask/20080603a) this allows you to cast spells of one level higher than what you have spell slots for. That means your maximum spell levels for Advanced Learning will be 2nd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 9th. My personal choices would be Ray of Stupidity, Shadow Form, Greater Shadow Conjuration, Superior Invisibility, and Greater Shadow Evocation. For more spell choices you could also get the Raiment of the Four item set in MIC. My first choice for Arcane Disciple would probably be the Travel domain.

AslanCross
2009-08-14, 07:37 PM
^Agreed.

If you don't think your game is going to last until the higher levels, getting Shadow Conjuration early might be a good idea too.

Kelpstrand
2009-08-14, 07:45 PM
1) It depends a lot. But basically, you have one question to ask your DM:

"Does "spells known" include Advanced Learning?" Obviously, if it does, that's awesome, and if it doesn't, well you can at least get higher level spells for the spells you do get.

So instead of mentioning what Beguiler level you get it at, I'll do this by spell level:

1) Shock and Awe is pretty good.
2) Shadowspray: Fort save or Daze and Str damage is pretty nice for a Beguiler to have. Heroics is good if you are going to be playing at higher levels. Also, Ray of Stupidity is good, but you already have the "I beat things susceptible to Mind affecting spells" stick down.
4&5) Shadow Evocation and Conjuration are good because they give you a lot of utility options, depending on the situation.

8) I'd take Wrathful Castigation probably. It's a really good spell.

Other than that, look for spells with reflex or fort saves. Or utility.

olentu
2009-08-14, 07:56 PM
First of all, you should dip one level of Mindbender or any other prestige class that grants +1 level of spellcasting at the first level. That way your spellcasting ability when you gain Advanced Learning will instead be at 3rd, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th. Furthermore, take the feat Versatile Spellcaster in Races of the Dragon asap, you'll be able to spend two spell slots of the same level to cast a spell one level higher. Both as-written and as-intended (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ask/20080603a) this allows you to cast spells of one level higher than what you have spell slots for. That means your maximum spell levels for Advanced Learning will be 2nd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 9th. My personal choices would be Ray of Stupidity, Shadow Form, Greater Shadow Conjuration, Superior Invisibility, and Greater Shadow Evocation. For more spell choices you could also get the Raiment of the Four item set in MIC. My first choice for Arcane Disciple would probably be the Travel domain.

I still contend that for a beguiler heighten spell or some method of knowing higher level spells is needed for the versatile spellcaster trick to allow one to cast spells of a level higher then said beguiler would get normally.

Edit: Please note that I am talking about under the rules and not whatever ruling the sage felt like at the time.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-15, 11:45 AM
I like phantasmal assailants myself. 8 Dex and Wis damage? Ysplz.

Gnorman
2009-08-15, 04:32 PM
Level 1: I like Distract Assailant (swift action to improve your next spell's DC by 2? Yes please!) and Power Word Pain, but PWP is... brooooken at low levels. So beware DM fiat.

Level 3/4: Shadow Conjuration or Shadow Well is nice, and you'll need a shadow spell if you plan on going into Shadowcraft Mage, for example. If not, I like... well, Shadow Conjuration anyway. So much utility.

Level 5/6: Oh man Freezing Glance. Shadow Evocation is tempting, but Freezing Glance lets you freeze one creature per round and is not mind-affecting.

Level 8: Maddening Whispers is an amazing spell - gives you four ways to cripple your enemies, letting you choose which one is most advantageous to you at the time.

Level 9: Programmed Amnesia. Mindrape that's okay to use, at least according to the karmic labels of the universe.

Thurbane
2009-08-16, 10:35 PM
The Beguiler in my group often owns melee encounters with Ray of Dizziness (3rd).

Darwin
2009-08-17, 02:21 AM
Power Word: Pain paired with Coercive Spell (from DotU as far as I remember) can be a viscious combo at early levels, it works especially well as an opener before you throw a SoD in your victim's way.

Shadow Conjuration and it's bigger cousin in an invaluable tool for a beguiler, I wouldn't play without it. Shadow Evocation isn't as useful, but it works well as a backup against critters immune to mind-affecting spells and normal illusions.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-17, 07:59 AM
Coercive Spell (from DotU as far as I remember)

I don't think I've seen that one before; what's it do?

Eldariel
2009-08-17, 08:56 AM
I don't think I've seen that one before; what's it do?

One level increase, hit living target takes -2 to Will-saves for 3 rounds.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-17, 09:36 AM
One level increase, hit living target takes -2 to Will-saves for 3 rounds.

Very handy. I'll have to remember that one.