PDA

View Full Version : A silly question/concept

Zergrusheddie
2009-08-14, 08:55 PM
Ok, so my Beguiler with Shadow Evocation purposefully fails his Reflex and Will Save to put himself inside a Resilient Sphere. Obviously casting something like Fireball that originates from the caster is not possible, but what about spells that do not originate from the caster like Glitterdust or Solid Fog?

Best of luck
-Eddie

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-14, 08:58 PM
Ok, so my Beguiler with Shadow Evocation purposefully fails his Reflex and Will Save to put himself inside a Resilient Sphere. Obviously casting something like Fireball that originates from the caster is not possible, but what about spells that do not originate from the caster like Glitterdust or Solid Fog?

Best of luck
-Eddie

"I willing myself to fail to disbelieve the illusion that I just cast"

???

I have no idea where this is going.

Hat-Trick
2009-08-14, 09:01 PM
"Cheese" is where it's going. As for the OP question, dunno. If it relies on line of effect, probably not.

erikun
2009-08-14, 09:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that Resilient Sphere was designed to block Line-of-Effect, so no Glitterdust/Solid Fog while stuck inside.

That, and you'd need a very good RP reason as to why you think your own illusion is real. After all, you typically disbelieve your own illusions.

sofawall
2009-08-14, 09:20 PM
You can voluntarily fail saves, but you automatically disbelieve your own illusion. You don't even get a save.

If he disbelieves, what happens? Doesn't it have a % chance to fail? So it can still work.

And if so, he blocked all the enemies. This has many more applications as a Cleric or Wizard tool, as they don't have to be illusions.

Anything that works without LoE works with the sphere.

Zergrusheddie
2009-08-14, 09:30 PM
The It's not so much "I am really believing in my Illusion!" So much as it it purposefully failing your save; I worded it very poorly.

I just choose the Beguiler because I'm playing one; the question is also targeted for Wizards. Can you fail your reflex save to make yourself immune to melee and still have Battlefield Control?

sofawall
2009-08-14, 09:45 PM
You can voluntarily fail saves, but you automatically disbelieve your own illusion. You don't even get a save.

Anything that works without LoE works with the sphere.

Here we go again.

OracleofWuffing
2009-08-14, 10:14 PM
If everyone just gets caught on the "disbelieving your own illusions" part, then one could just use two wizards. Which is going to lead into the question of getting both of them in each other's sphere.

aje8
2009-08-14, 10:43 PM
Look, the can you auto-fail the save to disbelive illusions created via Shadow Evocation/Conjuration or other spells is a long running CO-Debate. There is no consensus. The OP can inteperet it either way in his own games.

Shinizak
2009-08-14, 11:04 PM
A mage disbelieves his own illusion since he knows for a fact that it's fake. However, if he was given a reason to believe that it might be real then maybe he could purposely fail the save.

But that's probably a one time RP and mostly up to your DM.