PDA

View Full Version : [4e] What to Put on a DM Screen?

Tequila Sunrise
2009-08-14, 09:30 PM
I'm writing up a DM screen to print out, and have some extra room on the inside. So far I have condition effects, combat actions, skill challenge basics, page 42 basics and a whole blank page to fill.

Bonus points: What have you secretly always wanted to see on the player side of a DM screen?

Starsinger
2009-08-14, 09:36 PM
A spot left blank to put a sticky note with your players passive insights and perceptions would be nifty.

Maybe put conditions on the player's side too, I know sometimes I'd like to know what a condition on me does without bothering to remember or look it up.

Tengu_temp
2009-08-14, 09:43 PM
Base stats for various types of monster, monster damage per level and experience per level. Useful if you need to quickly improvise a creature.

EDIT: Right, player side. I can't read.

Mando Knight
2009-08-14, 09:49 PM
The player side of a DM Screen? A Tarrasque, AKA "A TERRIFYING EMBODIMENT OF WANTON DESTRUCTION" (direct quote from the Compendium) :smalltongue:

Kylarra
2009-08-14, 09:49 PM
I'd put Bear Lore on the player side. >_>

SSGoW
2009-08-14, 09:55 PM
do you have a pdf file for a good 4e dm screen i can print out?

valadil
2009-08-14, 10:24 PM
I use the following in mine:

Rules that I don't have memorized but expect to use.
Player info that should be rolled privately.
Random names.

For some odd reason I can pull a 10 level campaign out of my ass on queue, but can't name an NPC in under two hours. I periodically scour random NPC name generators and add the good ones to my list, which is attached to my GM screen. I include names for males, females, surnames, titles, inns, and settlements of various size. I also have a few personality traits if the players start paying more attention than expected to background NPCs.

RTGoodman
2009-08-14, 10:29 PM
What's the page number for that one chart that lists Difficulty Class by Level? (I'm moving tomorrow and unfortunately all my books are packed up and in my car already. :smallfrown:) That table should be right in the middle. Also, the XP table that tells how much XP a standard, elite, solo, and minion are worth, since that also tells you average XP per encounter.

Besides that, a chart of travel distance by lowest party member speed, a chart of magic item costs per level, and maybe a few other things.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-08-14, 10:58 PM
I'd put Bear Lore on the player side. >_>
Bwuh? :smalleek:

The player side of a DM Screen? A Tarrasque, AKA "A TERRIFYING EMBODIMENT OF WANTON DESTRUCTION" (direct quote from the Compendium)
You don't have a high-res pic of said beastie, do you?

do you have a pdf file for a good 4e dm screen i can print out?
By Monday I will. :smallbiggrin:

What's the page number for that one chart that lists Difficulty Class by Level?
Page 42, unless I'm thinking of something different.

Kylarra
2009-08-14, 11:07 PM
Bwuh? :smalleek:
Look at page 29 of the monster manual to see the stuff rolling nature checks about Bears tells you about them. :smalltongue:

oxinabox
2009-08-15, 03:17 AM
I have a couple of (player made) DM screen i've harvested from the internet.
For 4e if you'ld like them PM me.
They were made before the official one came out.

Don't forget to put the rull for falling damage on your side.
Average Dice rolls would be handy to have also.

One the players side.
Pictures.
Pretty pictures, try the "vixens of the tabletop thread), try to find the couple of ones they have both male and female and aren't just smut.
And Maybe Quotes about how you dm
"What's TPK? - A sign of an Awesome DM"

Mongol DM: Wrong! Conan DM! What is best in life?
Conan DM: To crush the PCs, see their dice fail before you, and to hear the lamentation of their players.
Mongol DM: That is good! That is good.

Kol Korran
2009-08-15, 05:16 AM
i know that you've written the skill challange basics, but have you put on the tables of skills? i keep forgetting the small modifiers for perception, the exact rules for jumping and acrobatics and so on. in fact, that could go well on the players side, since they need it too. they can check out a rule and tell you the approximate DC, and you can adjust depepnding on what you have planned.
one note though: make it large and readable if you put it on the player's side.
another note: page 42 i think was updated in the errata, make sure you got the latest version. (it was updated a long time ago, so if you probably haver it)
other things on the player's side? a summary of each character- usefull for when a player misses a session, and someone player him/her. better leave a place open and just attach black files there. again- use enlarged letters.

other things on the DM side? leave a small space to attach different "remember me" sheets about the campaign, such as names of places, people, objects, and basci info about them. i have these on my adventure notes, but it could be on the screen as well.

hope this helped,
Kol.

Jothki
2009-08-15, 06:03 AM
Look at page 29 of the monster manual to see the stuff rolling nature checks about Bears tells you about them. :smalltongue:

Won't that just encourage the players to metagame? :smalltongue:

Kylarra
2009-08-15, 11:11 AM
Won't that just encourage the players to metagame? :smalltongue:Only if they were inclined towards it anyway. :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2009-08-15, 12:40 PM
You don't have a high-res pic of said beastie, do you?

There's this...
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/Monster_gallery/24.jpg