PDA

View Full Version : Warmind without dipping into psi class?

Samb
2009-08-14, 11:28 PM
I want to play a warmind but don't want to dip into other psionic classes for knowledge (psionics), since it would nullify all my progress in that class.

I was thinking of going fighter 5/warmind 10/sanctified mind 5 or slayer 5 and using the "+1 existing manifester class" feature on warmind. If I had another manifester then I'm pretty sure I'd have to add to that class which would be a lose 10 MLs.

Warmind seems to follow wilder progression in powers and PP so I should have ML of 18 by the time I hit 20 with practised manifester right?

Can anyone tell me if this is even feasible?

AstralFire
2009-08-14, 11:33 PM
AFAIK, you cannot progress a class beyond what it explicitly gives as its spellcasting progression.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-14, 11:35 PM
The Educated feat from the Eberron Campaign Setting coupled with the Kalashtar race from the same book allow you to meet the major requirements and gives you bonus points to manifest with.

Hint: Don't go Fighter 5. Fighter 4/Warblade 1 or Fighter 2/Warblade 3, but never Fighter 5. Fighter 5 is the penultimate dead level, one level away from an extra attack, nothing but +1s to everything, and no class features to speak of. Fighter 4 is if the DM ignores multiclassing penalties and you have access to Dungeoncrasher. Otherwise Fighter 2/Warblade 3 is better.

Edit@Astral: You are correct, but it still advances the Manifester Level. This also improves bonus Power Points, as those are calculated by your Manifester Level. There's still incentive to progress the class' manifesting abilities, you just don't get much for doing so.

Keld Denar
2009-08-14, 11:39 PM
Ummm...lemme see. The skill ranks are easy. The feat Educated in the Eberron Campaign Setting book gives you ALL knowledges as class skills. I'm guessing that Knowledge: Psionics is a subset of All, and thusly you'd be able to drop skill ranks in there on a 1:1 basis with the normal level +3 cap. Factotum also has ALL skills (yup, ALL of them, even the ones in the BoEF) as class skills. 1 level of Factotum (Dungeonscape) will help you along your way. The feat Knowledge Devotion (CChampion) also gives you ANY desired knowledge skill as a class skill. You couldn't take it till level 3, assuming you dipped into something other than fighter to get ANY other knowledge as a class skill, but then you could fill those remaining skill points in. You'd then get + to hit and damage vs Psionic creatures, depending on your Knowledge check, and you could also put ranks in other knowledges to get bonuses vs dragons, animals, humanoids, outsiders, undead, and a handful of other things. Hope you have a good Int!!!!

Both Slayer AND Warmind require at least 1 PP. This is accomplishable in one of 2 ways. Either take the Wild Talent feat, OR take be psionic race. Half Giants (XPH), Kalishtar (ECS), Elans (XPH) and a handful of others are naturally psionic.

And finally...for the love of Kord and all that is sacred, Fighter is an even level class. NEVER take an odd level, unless you plan to take another one afterwards. 1 level of Barbarian would be infinitely better in just about every case (unless your DM actually plays with multiclass xp penalties...blech).

So yea...questions?

EDIT: Gah, NINJAS EVERYWHEREERERERERERE!!!!

sofawall
2009-08-14, 11:43 PM
Especially if the Barbarian level is Spiritual Lion Totem.

Samb
2009-08-14, 11:54 PM
Hmmm so something like legacy champ or uncanny trickster would not increase your spells/powers known? That's not how I heard it.....

I just realized that even if the power progression from slayer/sanctmind did stack I would have not lvl 7-9 powers to pick from anyway as they do not exist for psywar. So the best build I can really come up with is psywar 5/warmind 10/slayer 5. This way I still have 6th level powers and a bit more PP.

erikun
2009-08-15, 12:34 AM
Remember that you'll still only have 70 PP, 6 powers known, and up to 5th maximum power level, reguardless of your manifester level. You'll have more PP from high WIS (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/index.htm#abilitiesAndManifesters) and be able to spend more PP on an individual power, but there is no "Epic Warmind" advancement.

Why not Psychic Warrior 5/Warmind 10/Slayer 5? I don't see why you'd need to apply it to the Psychic Warrior, especially since your Fighter 5/Warmind 10 would apply it to Warmind anyways.

A Fighter 5/Warmind 10/Slayer 5 with Practiced Manifester would have a manifester level of 18, yes. You would apparently get the PP for being an 18th level psionic class, at that. Note, however, that a Psychic Warrior 5/Warmind 10/Slayer 5 with Practiced Manifester would have a manifester level or Psychic Warrior 9/Warmind 18, and would get bonus PP for both classes. And you get the same bonus PP from high WIS reguardless if your four levels of Slayer go into Warmind or Psychic Warrior.