PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) My three minions

Gan The Grey
2009-08-15, 01:03 AM
Alright, starting a new campaign with my peeps, and I'm generating ideas for the minions of one of my important NPCs. I want there to be three of them, so I've decided to go with this:

Minion 1 - Some sort of Medium feral creature. Awakened feline or canine of some sort or maybe a werecreature, Fighter/Rogue or Monk/Rogue, Huge freakin claws per multiple improved natural attack feats or per Monk progression. Meant to be fast and sneaky, POP POP retreat type stuff. I designed a spell ability for him, sort of a greater mirror image spell that makes illusory duplicates of him that act like him and can move around anywhere on the field. Meant to confuse and acts as flankers and such.

Minion 2 - An angel, angelic-like being, ie something with big fluffy wings. Very morose, joyless. Summoner and big weapon wielder. I'm thinking Druid/Barbarian. Summon some celestial animals, throw some javelins from the air (lightning javelins), uses some weather-based spells. All else fails, swoop in for the heavy hittin.

Minion 3 - I thought an awakened swarm would be cool. Didn't find a way to do it according to the rules, but I'm the DM, and therefore GOD.:smalltongue: Problem is, I'm not quite sure what to do with him.

Any suggestions on all three? Preferably no alignment-based options. Trying to stay alignment-neutral. Not, like ACTUAL neutral, but like...nevermind.

Oh yeah, have access to all of the completes, no ToB, no psionics, MM 1-5...yeahs....

Keld Denar
2009-08-15, 01:12 AM
For minion 1, look into Savage Species for the Feral template. It gives claw attacks, rend damage, pounce, and a whole lot of other stuff. It scales based on HD, and class levels are HD. A feral ANY race would work well, and you could build it like a Barb1/Fighter4/FrenizedBerzerker10 or whatever. Alternative, Barb2/Fighter2/Duskblade2/SuelArcanamachX would allow him to actually CAST Mirror Image and Greater Mirror Image, but that won't be till ~ECL12 or so.

Minion 2 is definitely a Cleric or Druid5/StormlordX. Its in Complete Divine, IIRC, and does exactly what you want, minus the big sword. Still, could be a big spear, and then he tosses lightning empowered javelins (free from the class!). Maybe like Aasimar as a base race, they are celestial descendants and the wis bonus is good for a druid or cleric.

Minion 3 would could be any undead with the Swarmshifter template added. You can find it in Libris Mortis(The Book of Bad Latin) near the end. Slap it on something like a mummy or ghast or other medium leveled undead and then advance with class levels.

Sound fun?

Gan The Grey
2009-08-15, 01:16 AM
I really like the first two, though I'm still wanting to use some sort of ACTUAL angel for the second guy.

As for the third guy...I'm trying to stay away from undead. Being naturally evil, and since everyone will automatically ASSUME they are evil, it kinda violates my alignment neutral thing. Otherwise, great ideas. :smallsmile:

Tempest Fennac
2009-08-15, 01:22 AM
If you have Tome of Battle, a Warblade focusing on Tiger Claw, Iron Heart and Stone Dragon maneuvers could work for Minion 1. Racewise, I statted out a race of anthro-cats called Rakastas* for the 3.5 Edition a while back (they have +2 Dex, -2 Wis, Medium, 30' speed, Darkvision 60', 2 1d4 Claw attacks (which would need improving), +2 to Balance, Jump and Move Silently checks, and Blind Fight as long as their whiskers are intact). If you go with that race, you could house rule that the claws could be used more then once each/round.

For the angel, would Favoured Soul/Storm Lord help? Storm Lord is from Complete Divine (the first 2 levels are on page 79 of http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Prestige.pdf ). You could alter the prequisites if you don't want the character to be worship Talos, and you could give the character a feat which would let him/her add the Storm Domain to their spell list.

I'm not sure what else to do with the Swarm either sadly (I guess, if it's controlled with 1 hive mind, it could have Psionic abilities which are concerned with manipulating thoughts and perceptions).

* http://pandius.com/rakasta2.html

Gadora
2009-08-15, 02:17 AM
For minion #3, you might be able to use the Master of Flies prestige class from Savage Species. It isn't exactly what you seem to be looking for, but it basically grants a "wildshape but for swarms" ability.

I also seem to remember there being some sort of hive mind thing in the Book of Vile Darkness.

Gan The Grey
2009-08-15, 02:29 AM
I'm not TOO worried about doing the swarm guy per rules persae. The way I see it, my leader NPC researched a new spell, Awaken Swarm, and cast it on a swarm. The swarm guy is an NPC, so I can fudge stats if I want. What I'm really looking for is a cool creature and class concept. Something like...

FELDOR, HERALD OF THE APOCALYPSE
Type: Locust Swarm
Class: Necromancy-specialized wizard
Feldor raises undead and spreads diseases and poisons and such, reaving the earth with his killing-of-life-and-plant type spells. When things get bad, Feldor separates into his constituent parts and escapes, only to reform when the players least expect it.

Yeah, something like that, but not so damned...evil.

Again, No tome of battle or psionics plz.

Suropej
2009-08-15, 12:54 PM
For your swarm minion you could use the Hivemind setup from BoVD on page 34. The basics are that the more individuals there are in the swarm, the higher the stats for the swarm can be and the swarm can get feats and skill points. They can even attain spellcasting powers as a sorcerer with enough members in the swarm.

You can use any kind of creature for this Hivemind so long as they are small enough to keep the members close enough for the effect to happen. That way you aren't just limited to vermin for the swarm.

Lord Loss
2009-08-15, 01:19 PM
Hivemind is the way to go!

Gan The Grey
2009-08-15, 02:59 PM
Can someone link Hivemind? Having a hard time finding info on net...

So, are you thinking some kind of caster then?

Thrawn183
2009-08-15, 06:04 PM
Concordant killer, should be MM5.

Voice of Reason
2009-08-16, 09:20 PM
Aproximately what level/challenge rating are you looking to make these minions at? For lower levels, it's probably better to use small LAs to allow for class skills to give them the roleplaying flavor you're looking for, but if you're looking at mid to high level minions, then you can start having all sorts of fun with templates.

Flickerdart
2009-08-16, 09:38 PM
The Hive Mind rules are in Savage Species. Basically, the thing gets INT and Sorcerer casting based on how many HD its components have or something.

PinkysBrain
2009-08-16, 10:16 PM
Minion 1 - Some sort of Medium feral creature. Awakened feline or canine of some sort or maybe a werecreature, Fighter/Rogue or Monk/Rogue, Huge freakin claws per multiple improved natural attack feats or per Monk progression.
Claws != IUS. Monk doesn't improve natural weapons normally.

Claws don't really make much sense at higher levels without Claws of the Beast ... augmented Claws of the Beast is the foundation of claw builds really, without it you are better off using your fists. It's a real pity you don't want psionics, Psychic Warrior with dimension slide, hustle and psionic lion charge is excellent at moving around on the battlefield. It's all in the SRD which you can freely download ...

Minion 2 - An angel, angelic-like being, ie something with big fluffy wings. Very morose, joyless. Summoner and big weapon wielder. I'm thinking Druid/Barbarian. Summon some celestial animals, throw some javelins from the air (lightning javelins), uses some weather-based spells. All else fails, swoop in for the heavy hittin.
Meh, Barbarian doesn't really add much ... dropping levels so you can sometimes get a +4 strength while giving up casting? Pretty silly. Can't you just use a fallen trumpet archon, planetar or solar or something? They have cleric casting and are quite good in melee.

Gan The Grey
2009-08-16, 11:41 PM
Most of my minions will be up in the 16 - 20 level range.

As for monk and claw damage, it isin't too much of a stretch to say that monk damage progression applies to claw attacks. In essence, it's really just a flavor change. And as the DM, I'm not worried about what my little flavor change do for game balance, as I will naturally balance out my NPCs for use against the PCs.

The reason I said barbarian for my angel guy was for large hit die, base attack bonus, and armorlessness. I could just make it a fighter for a bunch of free feats as well. BUT....I've pretty much decided to go with the Stormlord build for him.

Honestly, my biggest concern now is the 3rd minion, 'El Swarmo'. I'm really just looking for a cool creative theme and playstyle.

Voice of Reason
2009-08-16, 11:51 PM
Hmm, so very high-level minions indeed. I truely wish that I could help you out with minion 3, but I don't think of anything I have access to that will help (not to mention that I recently loaned almost all of my 3.5 books to a friend for their game. I'll have a look around nontheless.

EDIT: Well, turns out my Savage Species sourcebook is still lying around, and I found something that may interest you: the Master of Flies prestige class. Now, it's not exactly what you wanted, but it's pretty close.

Prereqs: 5 Escape Artist, 8 Knowledge: nature. Either Alter Form, Change Shape, or Wild Shape. Feat: Quick change (savage species).

This prestige class is exclusively vermin and swarm-oriented, and at level 10, lets you do the following:

-Summon Swarm/Insect Plague, Creeping Doom 10/day as a 10th level sorcerer.

-Swarm Shape. This works exactly like wild shape, exept that you can only assume the form of a swarm in either the Summon Swarm, Insect Plague, or Creeping Doom spells. You can assume a form up to 2 size catergories above yourself. This ability is usable 6/day, and lasts 10 hours each.

-Pied Piper. 1/day, can attempt to charm a number of hit die of vermin up to charecter level within 100'. Will save 14+cha to negate. Failure means vermin follow the Master of Flies for as long as concentration; dangerous areas result in new saving throw.

-Flyblown. Swarm shape as a free action.

-Awaken Vermin. Exactly as the druid spell 1/week as a spell-like ability, exept that it only works on vermin (which means, incidentally, that it is possible to have an awakened swarm :smallwink:)

-Swarm Leap 1/day. Can teleport through swarms. Works like the druid spell Transport Via Plants, exept you enter and exit via swarm, and the distance is unlimited.

Best way to do this would probably to have said minion be a Druid/x Master of Flies/10. Take the feat that allows you to cast while wild-shaped, which will also incidentally let you cast spells in swarm shape. It's not the most optimal use of levels by any stretch of the imagination, but it works nicely as a good, challenging encounter for the PCs. Some of the benefits/suggested tactics:

-Swarm Shape can be done as a free action. Use this liberally, feel free to monologue a bit with this guy, and when somebody tries to interupt you with the anticlimactic "I shoot at him," tell the PC that his arrow has the unintended effect of causing the NPC to burst outward into a swarm of thousands of beetles, which advance on his position :smallamused:

-Locust Swarm or Centipede Swarm shapes are probably the two that I recomend most (one for flying, one for damage). The centipede swarm is particularily nice, as it makes your NPC immune to all weapon damage, gives him darkvision 60', Swarm Traits, and Tremorsense 30'. Keep in mind that you need to restat the swarm as up to 2 size catergories above the NPC's size, as well as change the damage (probably to 4d6 auto instead of the 2d6, see the Swarm Traits subbar for more info) as well as increase the save against the centipedes' poison.

-You can continue to cast spells while Swarm Shaped. It will probably provoke AoO, but the NPC is immune to all weapon damage anyways! Since you aren't using your standard action to attack, use it to throw out some minor healing/damage, or to summon a few more swarms if your one guy isn't enough.

-The Awaken and/or pied piper abilities can be used to drag a few more vermin into this battle. I would recomend things like Monsterous Spiders, Centipedes, and Scorpions so that the PCs without spells will have a useful way to contribute to the battle. (keep in mind that smart PCs may try to lure summoned swarms so that they damage the other vermin; let them have thier fun).

-If the need arises for your NPC minion to make an escape (for example, if he becomes more important to the plot than you anticipated) then escape is only a Swarm Leap away.

Gan The Grey
2009-08-17, 02:36 PM
Master of Flies sounds good actually. There is another spell, can't remember the name, that lets me enlarge a vermin. I'll probably use that too. All in all, great ideas folks! Thanks for the help!