PDA

View Full Version : Never mind. Lock and delete.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-15, 04:45 AM
From my reading of Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) you could cast it on a 0gp quarterstaff and turn it into a Staff of Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/staffs.htm#power).
Then because they are of the same Kingdom, Class and Size it would be a permanent change.

Is this right? I know the general consensus is that the whole Polymorph line is broken (I've never made it past lvl 9 in a game where these kind of shenanigans would be allowed so I don't know from experience), but this is insane. There isn't even an XP cost.

Of course if I'm wrong and have missed something from the spell description I'm going to look very foolish, but I have to know.

Thanks in advance
K-B

Eloel
2009-08-15, 04:49 AM
A nonmagical object cannot be made into a magic item with this spell. Magic items aren’t affected by this spell.

This......

From my reading of Polymorph Any Object you could cast it on a 0gp quarterstaff and turn it into a Staff of Power.
Then because they are of the same Kingdom, Class and Size it would be a permanent change.

Even if the above didn't apply, the same argument could be made for a longsword being PAO'd into a +20 Every Ability On The List longsword. That, shouldn't happen, no matter what.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-15, 05:19 AM
This......

Even if the above didn't apply, the same argument could be made for a longsword being PAO'd into a +20 Every Ability On The List longsword. That, shouldn't happen, no matter what.

Or start mass producing Rings of Three Wishes.

Of course any sane DM would never allow this, but it's an interesting thought.

Has there been any Errata addressing this?

sofawall
2009-08-15, 05:52 AM
Well, there's the line already in the spell that says you can't do it. Is that enough?

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-15, 05:55 AM
Well, there's the line already in the spell that says you can't do it. Is that enough?

@#!!£&$$%@$~!!!!!!!! :furious:

Dammit. Not only did I read the spell wrong, I then read the quote wrong as well. No more red bull for me, I think it broke my brain..

Thanks for the answers.
Sorry for wasting forum space.

sofawall
2009-08-15, 06:06 AM
You made my day.

EDIT: My next character will be a kobold bard capable of 192d6 as a full-round action, in honour of you.

TheCountAlucard
2009-08-15, 06:07 AM
@#!!£&$$%@$~!!!!!!!!

Sorry for wasting forum space.

Don't worry, man, I've seen worse. :smalltongue: Hell, I've done worse...