PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Antimagic Field (PEACH)

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-15, 12:47 PM
Before giving you what I've made, I'll be completely honest and say I have near zero experience with magic. I've played all of two games, both of which are still ongoing. One is 5th level, where I play a Cleric, the other is first, where I play a Barbarian. As such, I'm sure I've made at least one major error, if you could point this out, I would much appreciate it.

Lesser Antimagic Field
Abjuration
Level: Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Personal
Area: 10-ft. radius emanation, centred on the caster
Duration: 1 min/Level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Lesser Antimagic Field functions as Antimagic Field except as noted.

Any caster wishing to cast a spell inside a Lesser Antimagic Field must succeed in a Caster Level Check against the field's caster level + 10. Spells being cast that are of a lesser level than the field suffer a -2 penalty to the check for each level of difference, and spells of a greater level gain a +2 bonus to the check for each level of difference.

Disjunction will always dispel Lesser Antimagic Field, and Dispel Magic can dispel Lesser Antimagic Field. It has a 2% chance of succeeding per caster level. If cast from within the field, it instead has a 3% chance of succeeding, but suffers a -2 penalty to the Caster Level Check to successfully cast.

Arcane Material Component:
Powdered cold ironsheen worth 2 gp.

My main concern is that it might be either to hard or too easy to cast a spell from inside.

Glimbur
2009-08-15, 01:35 PM
I would make it a straight Caster Level check versus the Lesser Antimagic Field's caster's Caster Level.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-15, 02:21 PM
That could work, but should the caster use a static check, or reroll every time someone tries to cast from inside the field?

Perhaps both? Something like "The Caster can, at the loss of one minute of duration, reroll their Caster Level check. This takes a standard action."

Myou
2009-08-15, 08:54 PM
The caster should be assumed to be taking 10 on their level check

I think that for emanations the 'range' should be listed as 'Personal'.

I like this spell, it looks good. :3

JoshuaZ
2009-08-15, 09:05 PM
And what about other dispelling spells like Greater Dispel Magic?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-15, 09:05 PM
The caster should be assumed to be taking 10 on their level check

I think that for emanations the 'range' should be listed as 'Personal'.

I like this spell, it looks good. :3

This sounds good.

I still think it's worded a bit awkwardly though.

And glad you like it; Antimagic Field practically screamed "MAKE ME A LESSER VERSION"

Myou
2009-08-15, 09:17 PM
Edited to help phrase it. And because I'm pedantic. Incredibly pedantic.

Lesser Antimagic Field
Abjuration
Level: Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Personal
Area: 10-ft. radius emanation, centred on the caster
Duration: 1 min/Level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Lesser Antimagic Field functions as Antimagic Field except as noted.

Any caster wishing to cast a spell inside a Lesser Antimagic Field must succeed in a Caster Level Check against the field's caster level + 10. Spells being cast that are of a lesser level than the field suffer a -2 penalty to the check for each level of difference, and spells of a greater level gain a +2 bonus to the check for each level of difference.

Disjunction will always dispel Lesser Antimagic Field, and Dispel Magic can dispel Lesser Antimagic Field. It has a 2% chance of succeeding per caster level. If cast from within the field, it instead has a 3% chance of succeeding, but suffers a -2 penalty to the Caster Level Check to successfully cast.

Arcane Material Component:
Powdered cold ironsheen worth 2 gp.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-15, 09:29 PM
Edited to help phrase it. And because I'm pedantic. Incredibly pedantic.

Why thank you, thank you very much.

Myou
2009-08-15, 09:48 PM
Why thank you, thank you very much.

My pleasure! ^^